Diablo® III

Leveling and Farming as it stands.

MVP - Diablo III
View profile
So having tested and having spoken with a lot of the people in game who consider themselves competitive players I've come to the conclusion that there are two locations worth doing.

For leveling it's CotA nothing else even comes close to comparing the experience you get in here from killing the white mobs.

For legendary items, Core of Arreat chest farming.

So what is a solution and what would prevent this in the future?

For a start instead of manually doing each zone with chests and enemies and instead of experience being the way it is, why not have the dps and toughness of enemies effect not only their experience amount but their drop rate? This would make elites give more experience than whites and would be worth killing. It would also prevent certain areas being much better than others (some disparity would happen).

Now to make sure it's not unbalanced have an experience amount / enemy amount per zonal area, what I mean is say in a 100 x 100 yards are you can have either 20 basic enemies, 10 more powerful enemies (or a mix of them) or an elite pack, this would do a number of things but in general it would make sure mob density is good everywhere, it would make sure expereince gain is good everywhere and drop rates wouldn't be damaged.

Now chests 1 chest per 100 x 100 yard square or even every 3 or 4 or whatever but make it so it's balanced across all zones.

Your thoughts people?
Reply Quote
Yes, an overall balancing would be nice however I do feel it's a bit unnecessary(Sp?) I feel like I play the game how I enjoy it. If people enjoy farming one place over and over because it's the most efficient.. well, let them I'd say. Same goes for chest farming routes etc.

I enjoy running through the game from A1->A4 and resetting, I have so much fun with my mates going through the different dungeon keeps/caves clearing 80% of the maps(we find it unnecessary to run back 3minutes for a small area) and finding all of the new purple mobs that have been added throughout the game.

As long as it's not BROKEN, like the cursed chest, I don't see a problem with it. There will always be "the most efficient" however I prefer to go for, "the most fun" :)

/EDIT: What exactly is COTA? I see people mentioning it quite often, I came to the conclusion that it was 'the' core of arreat, but I'm guessing from your post that it is something else?
Edited by ColdNCursed#2465 on 17/03/2014 09:03 GMT
Reply Quote
Nerf normal chests so that they only drop crafting mats or white items.
Buff elites drop rate.
Buff normals drop rate.
Buff the golden chests.

The "limit an area to a mobscore" (i'll just call it mobscore) is a good idea and increase the mobscore per area with each difficulty level.

There could also be a chestscore which is built from golden chests, normal chests, destructables, weapon racks and so on. And while we are at it, make destructables drop less rare crafting mats i guess.

Also with RoS being released, reduce the drops from the whole Story Mode IF the player hasn't resetted it and buff the drop chances for Adventure Mode.

But yeah, chest farming and the wretched mother runs are a huge problem and there have been alot of discussions about that lately. I just hope Blizz will act fast and change the game and drop rate according to the feedbacks and not just be like "pffft whatever just wait till RoS is being released". That would also hurt the people that did not pre-order RoS (if those people exist).

Edit:
I enjoy running through the game from A1->A4 and resetting, I have so much fun with my mates going through the different dungeon keeps/caves clearing 80% of the maps(we find it unnecessary to run back 3minutes for a small area) and finding all of the new purple mobs that have been added throughout the game.
I am doing this too but when you clear a whole act on T6 which takes a lot of your time and then you get like 0 usable legendaries, that's quite frustrating. Why would i play 3 hours on highest difficulty when people in my friends list get 5 times the legendaries that i got on the lowest difficulty in the same time?

Edit#2:
What exactly is COTA?
Crypt of the Ancients. It's the quest in Act 1 where you have to obtain the 2 orbs from the festering woods. People take that quest, go into one crypt and leave the game. Now they can quick teleport to their waypoint in the crypt, clear all the mobs and re-enter the game. This nets you in the most experience in a small amount of time right now.
Edited by frisch#2609 on 17/03/2014 09:11 GMT
Reply Quote
View profile
The concept sounds nice. I would like the zones to be balanced, so that it does not matter where I play, every maps will give the same balanced ratio of rewards/time(or area).

The factor of randomness would create some extreme values (e.g. maybe one run has 5% more mobs than the previous one), but in the long run these will flatten out.

I think, part of the problem is with the monster types. A wretched mother will always spawn more zombies. Zombies are slow, weak, and have no special attacks. They will always be easy prey for area affecting skills. A lot of players would choose to kill those than bothering with ACT4 mobs.

Maybe the solution would be to give minimal XP for zombies, minimal Gold, minimal chance of loot drops, etc. But then, who would bother with them? Also, tweaking each monster type like this would require much effort from devs, with dubious results.
Reply Quote
17/03/2014 09:11Posted by NYARLATHOTEP
I think, part of the problem is with the monster types. A wretched mother will always spawn more zombies. Zombies are slow, weak, and have no special attacks. They will always be easy prey for area affecting skills. A lot of players would choose to kill those than bothering with ACT4 mobs.
Extra spawned mobs don't drop items or give you exp. Wretched Mothers have a higher chance to drop good items that's why people do those runs. Blizz wanted to help new players to have a faster start just by increasing the drops on the first couple of quests.
Reply Quote
View profile
17/03/2014 09:07Posted by frisch
Why would i play 3 hours on highest difficulty when people in my friends list get 5 times the legendaries that i got on the lowest difficulty in the same time?

Because the fun a player has, does not only depend on the number of legendaries dropped.

For some players, the challenge of higher diffs is the source of fun. Combined with more loot.

And anyway, no-one stops you from playing in lower difficulties and finishing the acts faster!
Reply Quote
View profile
17/03/2014 09:13Posted by frisch
Extra spawned mobs don't drop items or give you exp.

Are you sure? Used to give XP in the notorious Crypt runs, didn't they? If not, why did some players "prep" the crypts then?

17/03/2014 09:13Posted by frisch
Blizz wanted to help new players to have a faster start just by increasing the drops on the first couple of quests.

You got any official sources on that? I thought the guaranteed legendary for levels lower than 60 was doing the trick, not increased drop rates for some monsters.
Edited by NYARLATHOTEP#2116 on 17/03/2014 09:18 GMT
Reply Quote
So thanks to your green post they will now nerf those areas too!! Can't you nerds keep a lid on yapping!
Reply Quote
17/03/2014 09:07Posted by frisch
Crypt of the Ancients. It's the quest in Act 1 where you have to obtain the 2 orbs from the festering woods. People take that quest, go into one crypt and leave the game. Now they can quick teleport to their waypoint in the crypt, clear all the mobs and re-enter the game. This nets you in the most experience in a small amount of time right now.

I've been wondering the same for a while! thanks for clearing it up for me as well as the guy asking the original question.

Now, this seems highly speculative asking for a overall remake of game mechanics because of people chose to spend their time doing this over and over again (and not getting legendaries for their "well spent time"). ?
Or am I missing the point.

I think the game always should reward overall the people who chose to actually restart the campaign/act and sweep trough all the different areas and letting the overall slaughterfest which the franchise has always been, and expected to be of it's players, reward in form of massive item drops.

Quality from quantity! you should expect to see a usefull legendary item for every 50-150 rare item. Now with the new loot system you can even expect some of those rares to be usefull.
I mean, rather than farming a boss over and over. And setting the difficulty setting to T6 if perhaps your character is hopelessly underperforming, and you end up spending 30-40minutes on a single encounter where the loot calculator ends up not granting rewards.

Much rather drop to T2-3 and actually having fun while at it!?
Reply Quote
Community
17/03/2014 09:18Posted by Thunderquake
So thanks to your green post they will now nerf those areas too!! Can't you nerds keep a lid on yapping!

NERF ALL THE THINGS!!!

No but seriously though, this is a nice thread and it is cool to see you guys sharing your opinions on this.

The CotA runs or Core runs that many people are doing right now is something that we believe to be mostly a temporary thing during this transition period between the expansion pre-patch and the expansion itself. We expect that bounties and rifts will be where people will go to farm gear and XP once Reaper of Souls is out, and if it turns out that this is not the case, well then we will likely step in to change that.
Reply Quote
Both rifts and bounties read like something which will reward everyone.. farming and "adventure seeker" likewise.
I guess people will hold you to it... (if it turns out to not be the case as you say)
Reply Quote
I do agree about the exp, but what realy screwed up the game was cursed chest farming,people are now close to paragon 600 is i personally think isn't fair at all.

I'm not bothered about the chest farming as when RoS hits,pretty much all items ingame now will be useless so to me,farming for legends is a waste of time.
Reply Quote
Community
17/03/2014 10:03Posted by Bjens
Both rifts and bounties read like something which will reward everyone.. farming and "adventure seeker" likewise.

That is pretty much what Adventure Mode is all about :-)
Reply Quote
17/03/2014 09:46Posted by Vaneras
The CotA runs

What I don't understand is that the Cursed Chest in Halls 3 was handled by removing it, but CotA after all these weeks are still the same.
Edited by azgul#1201 on 17/03/2014 10:59 GMT
Reply Quote
What I don't understand is that the Cursed Chest in Halls 3 was handled by removing it, but CotA after all these weeks are still the same.

Trust me, when RoS is coming out you will forget about all this intense farmed zones, or about the 2h. The time invested in fixing this zones and the 2h is not worth with RoS being so close.
Just do what you enjoy the most now in 2.0.3, if its xp-ing in Cota, Royal, farming gear in A1 or Core, and dont care about someone exploiting this.
Cant w8 for RoS:D
Edited by LittleLucas#2360 on 17/03/2014 11:10 GMT
Reply Quote
17/03/2014 10:58Posted by azgul
17/03/2014 09:46Posted by Vaneras
The CotA runs

Actually I found it(Cursed-Chest in Halls3) yesterday evening,its not removed.Its there but doesn't spawn so often.I tried many times on Torment with no luck ,then 1st try on Master and chest was there.Now I need the old mill only....
Reply Quote

cota runs are NOW nice..

do you think in RoS anybody will take this runs? lol... for what? ^^ rifts - more mobs | bountys...

why nerf when its on ros wayne? o_O
Reply Quote
17/03/2014 11:15Posted by Larn

cota runs are NOW nice..

do you think in RoS anybody will take this runs? lol... for what? ^^ rifts - more mobs | bountys...

why nerf when its on ros wayne? o_O

1) Not everyone will buy RoS
2) I wouldn't call 20 sec runs "nice".
Reply Quote
@OP
Nice way to even out things in maps.
17/03/2014 08:52Posted by Fean
why not have the dps and toughness of enemies effect not only their experience amount but their drop rate?
was already done in previous patches with some of the weakest mobs: remember when they reduced the experience and drop rates of scorpions in Act 3? Same was done for the little shadows and small crawling demons in Act 4 and probably some other mobs which I can't remember.
Don't know if this is still happening in live patch 2.0.3

Also, now of patch 2.0.3 I find killing elites much more rewarding than in patch 2.0.1. More than half of the legendary items I dropped in patch 2.0.3 were drops from elites, unique monsters and random events. Others were from chests, goblins, corpses and rarely destructibles.
At the moment I am experiencing a nice balancing.

17/03/2014 09:18Posted by Thunderquake
great logic: "shut up or they will nerf/fix my farming-run/exploit/bug".

17/03/2014 11:10Posted by r0b0tb0y
Actually I found it(Cursed-Chest in Halls3) yesterday evening,its not removed.Its there but doesn't spawn so often.I tried many times on Torment with no luck ,then 1st try on Master and chest was there.Now I need the old mill only....
I experienced something similar, but in reverse.
In Old Tristram Road, if I play on torment 2 or 3 I always, and I say ALWAYS run into Ebenezer Samuel (more than 10 times in a row) and the only times I do not find him is when I lower the difficulty to torment 1.
There might be some kind of bug affecting map creation or random placing of mobs and events that is dependent on the difficulty settings.
Edited by Nightshade#1233 on 17/03/2014 11:55 GMT
Reply Quote

why not have the dps and toughness of enemies effect not only their experience amount but their drop rate?

Awesome Idea.

in a 100 x 100 yards are you can have either 20 basic enemies, 10 more powerful enemies (or a mix of them) or an elite pack

Bad idea. If all basic enemies are the same number everywhere, all the enemies would have the same dps/toughness which wouldn't make any sense considering the varying type of enemies and their intended styles of play/reaction.

Now chests 1 chest per 100 x 100 yard square or even every 3 or 4 or whatever but make it so it's balanced across all zones.

Great idea, but shouldn't be placed by area, but average clearing distance eg. the Core of Arreat is a linear path and all players follow that path, so chests should be less than what it is on open areas like say the Fields of Misery.

Thus #Chests-open areas > #Chests-linear areas. So I agree in a sense, but effectively the example per 100yd^2 chest rule should be much more for a linear path eg. 1 per 200yd^2
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]