Diablo® III

Deaths Breath - The Debate

MVP
View profile
Posted by Lylirra on US forums:
Just as an FYI, the scaling drop rates for Death's Breath are the same as Demonic Essence (i.e. they scale the same way as you progress in difficulty). Currently, those drop rates are:

Normal - 15%
Hard - 18%
Expert - 21%
Master - 25%
Torment 1 - 31%
Torment 2 - 37%
Torment 3 - 44%
Torment 4 - 53%
Torment 5 - 64%
Torment 6 - 77%

We have no plans right now to change the rates, given that we're only one day into the expansion (we'd like to give things a bit more time to settle before we start pulling levers and adjusting knobs). That said, we are paying attention to your feedback! We'll be keeping a close eye on your posts, tweets, and in-game chat, as well as our own internal data, and if it looks like things aren't in a great place, we'll definitely reevaluate and make changes if needed. :)

Effectively DB are dropped just like DE, but they are required for so much in game (almost like a hybrid DE/Tome of Secrets.

Do you feel they should be kept as elite only?

Or droppable from normal mobs too (albeit at a lower rate).

Your thoughts?
Edited by Arbeia#2259 on 26/03/2014 08:45 GMT
Reply Quote
Eventually, everyone will end up with a massive stock pile of the things anyway. I don't mind if it takes a bit of time.
Reply Quote
I'm having a lot more issues with gold.

I have 75k gold atm. :|
Reply Quote
At the moment Deaths Breath are the limiting resource for me because I am Enchanting items more then perhaps I would to see what results I get. Once the artisans are fully upgraded they still seem to be needed slighlty more but more playing will tell.

For now I'm ok with the drop rate.
Reply Quote
MVP
View profile
Initially I would've said allow them to drop for normal mobs because they're so widely needed, but that said, I think if we look at the wider picture, this gives us a reason to take on the elites.

DB then becomes a valuable commodity if it's hard to attain (not in the economic sense as they're BoA obviously), and worthy of a tougher battle. This might also steer peeps away from "easy mob" XP farming places like CotA in favour of tougher opponents.
Reply Quote
Deaths Breath are nowhere near a problem for me, as I fight every elite pack I see. I personally think the drop rate is fine.

Currently however, I'm trying to find a better way to get Forgotten Souls :P

All in all, I like how 'hard' some of these mats are to get. If I could get 10 forgotten souls per hour or something, I'd enchant amazing gear in a few weeks and be bored.

I understand BoA and RNG can be irritating, but I believe increasing drop rates (for Deaths Breath) would be detrimental to the game's longevity.
Reply Quote
i would prefer it to stay elite only, and i agree with low drop rates for anything below torment, but i feel as though torment 1 at 31% is just not enough. anyone who can efficiently farm elites on t6 deserves a 100% chance for a death's breath IMO and i think the lower torments should be scaled up accordingly
Reply Quote
I would expect goblins and bosses to also drop Deaths Breath? (because they drop DEs in classic D3).

I think the drop rate for all crafting materials an salvageable items is about right in classic D3, so if it's the same in RoS, there's no need to change it.

I sometimes get frustrated when I run out of crafting mats and haven't managed to craft an item with the stats I want. But that's a good thing. It gives another reason to farm - and when I do eventually craft a really good item, it feels more rewarding.

When players are asking/moaning about drop-rates of anything (not just mats), they should ask themselves, "and if I get more of these in less time, then what will I do?".

Seems to me that too many players want to race forward at max speed, finding/crafting significant upgrades every day, and then complain "I'm bored, I'm OP, the game is too easy, I can't find any more upgrades, there's nothing left to do...."

D3 is like like a good bottle of brandy. We get more enjoyment from it if we take our time to savour it for as long as possible. Drink it too quickly, and you'll be too pissed to remember how good it was, and just be left with an empty bottle (and a bad head).
Reply Quote
MVP
View profile
I predict some vota runs coming again! ^^
Reply Quote
26/03/2014 08:27Posted by Arbeia
Effectively DB are dropped just like DE, but they are required for so much in game (almost like a hybrid DE/Tome of Secrets.

Do you feel they should be kept as elite only?

Or droppable from normal mobs too (albeit at a lower rate).

Your thoughts?

I wouldn't say drop them from normal mobs, but I would really want to see a way to convert one type of material to the other.

Let's say you have 1000 essences and zero breaths. Wouldn't it be nice that blacksmith has a recipe to convert say 20 arcane essences to 1 breath?

The numbers can be worked out of course. But it would be nice for the case when you have too many of one material and none of another.
Reply Quote
Their drop is OK, because it limits those billionaires AH slaves.
Reply Quote
I think it's really just a temporary problem - in the beginning you need them to upgrade the artisans, to try some enchanting etc. but once you get past that I think we will have plenty with the drop rates the way they are - same with gems. Potential upgrades will become fewer and fewer as our gear gets better, so enchanting will not be used as much in the long run.
Reply Quote
MVP
View profile
Just noticed this....

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/artisan/blacksmith/recipe/sages-purchase

3-piece sages...double drops for DB! :)
Reply Quote
26/03/2014 13:24Posted by Arbeia
Just noticed this....

flawless royal gem per craft per item ;)
Reply Quote
26/03/2014 11:34Posted by Arbeia
I predict some vota runs coming again! ^^

Or just Core spamming for them damn breaths.
Reply Quote
Just noticed this....

Did you noticed what is needed to make it?

Outside from having to find all the ingredients ( And ending up with a terrible piece of equipment ), I'll have to find 81 Marquise Gems, Gather 10m and another 2 legendary ( Ok, that isn't the problem ) just for crafting ONE PIECE.

I really hope they remove the Gem requirement...
Reply Quote
26/03/2014 13:30Posted by Angel
Just noticed this....

Outside from having to find all the ingredients ( And ending up with a terrible piece of equipment ), I'll have to find 81 Marquise Gems, Gather 10m and another 2 legendary ( Ok, that isn't the problem ) just for crafting ONE PIECE.

That's WoW influence, where you have to grind like half a year to get one legendary.
Reply Quote
MVP
View profile
26/03/2014 13:30Posted by Angel
Just noticed this....

Tell me about it!!

Coincidentally, I dropped the set this morning, and looked what the crafting cost was and was like wooooooooosh!!

Then I checked on game guide to see if the set bonus was worth it, and found the 3-piece, so posted it here.

Probably worth at least trying for gloves and boots/helm perhaps with royal ring of grandeur.
Reply Quote
View profile
If you can efficiently farm torment 1-3 you shouldn't have any issues with DBs, unless you're a crafting/enchanting junkie.
Reply Quote
MVP
View profile
26/03/2014 13:48Posted by ChrisAsmith
If you can efficiently farm torment 1-3 you shouldn't have any issues with DBs, unless you're a crafting/enchanting junkie.

That'll take time in HC if I'm honest.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]