Diablo® III

Thunderfury VS Odins Son (Lightning dmg build)

Hello Hello!

Im doing a Lightning dmg build on my monk now, and i wonder whats better. to go with a thunderfury or with a Odins Son!?
Now i do not have a Thunderfury yet to compare the amount of dmg of the procs of it.
But people who do have is it Worth to lose the passive %Lightning dmg for the proc of TF?

As you can see on my profile my Odins son is not top notch and prolly a decent dmg TF (2200dmg) would prolly just outright win either way. but lets say they are both the same on that Point shall we =D

and i would also like to know where the bracket of %lighting dmg decreases...

Regards:
Tween
Reply Quote
Thunderfury and Shard of Hate are the two BiS weapons, in a league of their own.

Odyn's Son is a solid 3rd, but a downgrade from those two.
Reply Quote
Odyn's Son is the poor man's Thunderfury
Reply Quote
I think if you have a lightning spender or more than one lightning skill slotted like LTK/sweeping wind/cyclone, odyn son might be better with lightning dmg + skill dmg? I'm not completely sure though =(
Reply Quote
what if you have both tf and odyns son is that like viable?
Reply Quote
TF is good weapon, but it brings nothing to lightning build. Its just good by itself.
SoH with 25% WKL and good lightning build will beat SoH with TF and the same gears on the rest of places. Odyn's Son - I'm not if it will perform better than WKL with SoH (due to slow attack speed). With SoH - you want to get as many lightning attacks per second as possible, because it has no internal CD and benefit from % lightning damage.
Reply Quote
that just solved my mystery about the TF thank you very much man :)
Reply Quote
Many thanks to the clearification with TF, does TF proc stack with lightning dmg?? or is that just for Shard of hate.

And do anyone have a estimated dmg on the Sons of Odin dmg proc??
Reply Quote
07/04/2014 13:32Posted by Nephelem
TF is good weapon, but it brings nothing to lightning build. Its just good by itself.
SoH with 25% WKL and good lightning build will beat SoH with TF and the same gears on the rest of places. Odyn's Son - I'm not if it will perform better than WKL with SoH (due to slow attack speed). With SoH - you want to get as many lightning attacks per second as possible, because it has no internal CD and benefit from % lightning damage.

SoH + TF far outperform SoH + WKL in a lightning build even if TF doesn't benefit from +lightning skill dmg (Unless perhaps if you have 0% lightning dmg to begin with...) you get way more out of TF proc than the lightning dmg on WKL specially with the diminishing return.
It's been tested on Ghom by people that have all 3 weapons and also Odyn's son, SoH + TF is significantly ahead of every other combo.
Reply Quote
mad man scepter with soh , totally owned , poison explode for like 10-14m per screen with soh proc 3-4m per hit
Reply Quote
For whatever it's worth, the 2.1 PTR patch notes say that items with procs WILL benefit from +lightning skills.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/blog/14569138/patch-210-ptr-patch-notes-updated-july-9-7-9-2014

Bug Fixes

Legendary items that directly deal damage should now all properly benefit from the appropriate +% Elemental Damage item affix, including:
Blackfeather - +%Physical Damage
Bul-Kathos's Oath (2) Set Bonus - +%Physical Damage
Cinder Switch - +%Fire Damage
Death's Bargain - +%Physical Damage
Death Watch Mantle - +%Physical Damage
Fulminator - +%Lightning Damage
Odyn Son - +%Lightning Damage
Maximus - +%Fire Damage
Moonlight Ward - +%Arcane Damage
Schaefer's Hammer - +%Lightning Damage
Scourge - +%Fire Damage
Shenlong's Spirit (2) Set Bonus - +%Fire Damage
Stalgard's Decimator - +%Physical Damage
Storm Crow - +%Fire Damage
Thunderfury - +%Lightning Damage

I read somewhere that ThunderGod's Vigor DOES apply +elemental damage to the lightning proc, and based on the list above, it looks like there may be a bug where it wasn't applying to weapon procs from weapons, but it was on armor (like ThunderGod's Vigor).

In that regard, the "synergies" argument will make sense in 2.1 (assuming those patch notes hold up). A Thunderfury, Odynson, Schaeffer's, or Fulmintor will make more sense in a +lightning elemental build. Out of the list Blizzard listed here, there are 5 physical procs, 4 fire procs, and 4 lightning (I know they can't all be dual wielded, but at least the distribution seems fairly even amongst those elements).
Reply Quote
atm the best 2 weapon if you play with the 6x Set are odyns + jawbreaker.
odyn because of the low attackspeed ( = big per hit damage) and the up to 20% lightning damage abe jawbreaker should explain itself with the 6x Set.

if you dont use the set, SoH and WKL are atm the best, but 2.1 will bring changes i guess
Reply Quote
05/04/2014 20:31Posted by Holyfury
Thunderfury and Shard of Hate are the two BiS weapons, in a league of their own.

Odyn's Son is a solid 3rd, but a downgrade from those two.

Actually they're not... I mean, TF doesn't scale with Lightning damage %. I remember reading that it's going to be fixed but maybe only in 2.1.0. So the best combination at the moment is OS+SoH.
Edit : didnt read all the answer... so yeah, fixed in 2.1.0.
Edited by Venusine#1659 on 21/07/2014 12:48 BST
Reply Quote
07/04/2014 18:32Posted by iBleedGreen
mad man scepter with soh , totally owned , poison explode for like 10-14m per screen with soh proc 3-4m per hit

that's retarded, the whole point is to maximize lightning elem damage here... So MMS is definitely not recommended here...
Reply Quote
Nice vid on the US forum about it:
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/13507590827
Reply Quote
God kills a kitten everytime someone says TF is better than OS. Odyn's is BIS for any lightning spec, its the main hand you want to use for Rainment with Jawbreaker, it hits harder that WKL being a slower weapon and the proc is a lot better than 5% more light dmg.
For non-rainment best pair is OS+SoH. In 2.1 OS will be even better and TF may come in pair with SoH for a 2nd place.
Reply Quote
23/07/2014 10:20Posted by Okuwona
God kills a kitten everytime someone says TF is better than OS. Odyn's is BIS for any lightning spec, its the main hand you want to use for Rainment with Jawbreaker, it hits harder that WKL being a slower weapon and the proc is a lot better than 5% more light dmg.
For non-rainment best pair is OS+SoH. In 2.1 OS will be even better and TF may come in pair with SoH for a 2nd place.

Hitting harder based on slower attack speed is not always the case. Check out my WKL and let me know if my OS should be my main hand

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Radelon-1292/hero/32053862
Edited by Radelon#1292 on 25/07/2014 14:05 BST
Reply Quote
Thats a pretty damn sweet WKL u got there.
Reply Quote
So this is probably quite nooby but can someone explain to me why SoH is better than TF? the damage of the TF bonus is higher and it chains to multiple enemies
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]