Diablo® III

how long for a SET is reasonable?

Blue, i ask you this simple question :

How long do you think it is reasonable to get a full class specific set?

(what I call "end game items" plus the very rare OP items like Calamity, Wand of Woh etc...)

I did 800 rifts, yes 800, playing every single day since 2.0 probably more than 8h/day. At the moment, I didn't even complete one single set. Half of the few items that I got for sets come from friends. I don't even have 4 pieces.

I plaid mostly DH, i'was stuck at the very same level for 3 weeks, then I switched to WD, I'm stuck at the very same level for more than 10 days. No set nothing.
Farming T3 to T5 in fast team, friends (which are less and less) and class team (all DH or recently ALL WD). Still nothing;

So, BLUE give me an idea of what time I should spend on , excuse me to recall you , what was once called "a game", something that should be FUN (which seems totally out of your D3 specifications)
I got 5 items of Marauder set in 130 paragon levels since RoS. As I see you have a bunch of lvl 70 characters, my advice would be: stick to just one.
View profile
06/05/2014 15:00Posted by DestroyOne
How long do you think it is reasonable to get a full class specific set?

Do you expect an answer? Really?

If the blue answers "X hours are reasonable", the all the players that have played X hours will cry for not getting it; those that can't play X hours, will cry that they won't play a game with no rewards.

Anyway, the Blues can't make you love this game. You either like it as it is, or not like it. If you feel you are wasting your time on something "that was once called a game", then you should quit. Games are meant to provide entertainment not frustration and anger. Do something else that you enjoy, instead of whining about "a game" which was not made exclusively for you.
No matter how long you play, you are not guaranteed a legendary / set item to drop.

As with lottery, the chance doesn't increase when you keep losing. Your best bet is playing with a party and hoping someone else will loot it and share or sell it to you.
It's best to just play for the sake of playing.
Play because it's a cool game, play for fun, play to play with friends and have a good time.
If you play to get a specific item, you're gonna have a bad time
Completed my Jade Harvester yesterday.

It took a completely unreasonable amount of time, considering I'm multiboxing and feeding all the sets to this account. Took me what? 5 weeks? Assuming my drop luck was the standard, it would thus take the average normal player, who only plays a couple of hours per day, instead of 10+ like myself, 10 hours / 2 hours * 4 accounts * 5 weeks = 100 weeks. Yeah. No average person will ever (EVER) complete a 6 piece set. The average person won't play the same game for 100 weeks.
But then, the sets were never made for the average person to acquire. Any player can get a set of random items haphazardly combined and do reasonably well with that. Just look at NYARLATHOTEP's profile. He's doing fine with that.

For me the game began yesterday. I finally reached end-game. Now I can begin to upgrade my pieces 1 by 1.
While I admit that everyone is entitled to their own opinions and styles of play, I've never really understood this "i must have these very specific items" obsession that far too many players seem to be focusing on.

Isn't this game supposed to be all about diversity?

Sure, the higher difficulty level you play, the more powerful you want your character to be. But I've seen many of these so-called "End-Game" items/sets that just don't cut it.

What exactly is "End-Game" anyway? Shouldn't you be having fun with the whole game, experimenting with different characters, play styles and different item combinations, from the very start?

From my perspective, that's far more rewarding than trying to to be just like everyone else...
Edited by Prometheus#2318 on 06/05/2014 15:24 BST
Diablo III took more than 10 years to be released after D II / LoD.

Should you be worried about not being decked out in full best in slot equipment a couple of months after RoS release ?
View profile
06/05/2014 15:19Posted by DestroyOne
4. I bought a PRODUCT to enjoy 100% of it, not just 50% of it because of bad luck. it has never been sold to me to got such bad results in a such big amount of time.

The randomness is part of the game. Getting no legendaries or too many legendaries are still two events belonging to the game. The game gives no guarantees that you will find exactly the items you want, in the time frame you want; that is also part of the game. So, the game is working for you just like it works for me and everyone else.

I totally agree with the quote below:
06/05/2014 15:14Posted by Ambria
Play because it's a cool game, play for fun, play to play with friends and have a good time.
If you play to get a specific item, you're gonna have a bad time
06/05/2014 15:23Posted by Prometheus
What exactly is "End-Game" anyway? Shouldn't you be having fun with the whole game, experimenting with different characters, play styles and different item combinations, from the very start?

And you are so true in the idea but so wrong in the real world of D3.

Why?
1. the game is loot based. So, once you tried many build (and I did for WIZ, DH, WD and CRUZ) you are back to the most efficient ones , which are not that numerous, TO FARM.

2. I agree with you and that is why i am so angry: my best enjoyment is to try many things, play with several gameplay, with each kind of build. But you know what? those builds depend on ITEMS. Not only we are back to the loot problem but we are back to another one: WHERE THE HECK WILL YOU STACK ALL THOSE ITEMS for 6 classes? hest is so tiny!!! One full page goes for only all the craft mats!

3. T5/T6 is quite different to T4-. you have to focus, to tactical things etc...and you must wear the end games stuff.

4. probably the most UNCOOL thing:: switching to another build and change the Gems cost A LOT!! Rerolling a thing for a build, cost a LOT.

06/05/2014 15:05Posted by Dadel
As I see you have a bunch of lvl 70 characters, my advice would be: stick to just one.

they are mules man, just read my post i made it clear that i was playing full time one classes (DH) then the WD because of the 3 weeks of non progression at all and frustration. (BTW, with the end of rift xp bonus you have several lvl70 chars in no time)

06/05/2014 15:18Posted by Filth
For me the game began yesterday. I finally reached end-game. Now I can begin to upgrade my pieces 1 by 1.

that is what i think also.
Edited by DestroyOne#2384 on 06/05/2014 15:39 BST
I played 270h on crusader got only 2 parts of my set.
Played monk for 326-329 paragon and got 3 set's of innas ( in 2 two days basicly, now need pants)
Rng. After 270h i havnt seen thunderfury and shard of hate on crusader.

I wish there was some kind trade system.
View profile
06/05/2014 15:55Posted by Balthazar
Rng. After 270h i havnt seen thunderfury and shard of hate on crusader.

Why do people fixate on getting those? You can do fine without them, break the mental-chains, get yourself free from TF & SoH.
06/05/2014 15:00Posted by DestroyOne

I did 800 rifts, yes 800, playing every single day since 2.0 probably more than 8h/day.

I have a feeling that set-items not dropping for you is not your biggest problem at the moment with D3. 0.o Seriously, seek help.
06/05/2014 16:15Posted by Menkoro
I have a feeling that set-items not dropping for you is not your biggest problem at the moment with D3. 0.o Seriously, seek help.

You are so true ;-))
I am a passionate gamer but I decided at the beginning that after a certain amount of time, i'll go back to the normal life/play, which is currently happening.
Community
06/05/2014 15:08Posted by Hellforge
No matter how long you play, you are not guaranteed a legendary / set item to drop.

Very much this! I'm not trying to be patronising when saying this, so please forgive me if I come across like that, but such is the nature of Diablo games—by playing the game you have a chance at acquiring the loot you are looking for, but it will never be possible to guarantee that you will get it. Because of this, it is also not possible for me or anyone else to say how much time it will take for you to get the item you are looking for, and whether or not said time is within reasonable.
06/05/2014 16:51Posted by Vaneras

Very much this! I'm not trying to be patronising when saying this, so please forgive me if I come across like that, but such is the nature of Diablo games—by playing the game you have a chance at acquiring the loot you are looking for, but it will never be possible to guarantee that you will get it. Because of this, it is also not possible for me or anyone else to say how much time it will take for you to get the item you are looking for, and whether or not said time is within reasonable.

RNG is RNG right?

The very fact that we can't and won't know how long more it takes to obtain our desired item/set is frustrating to most.

The leaked legendary drop rates that was exposed recently and that TealDawn guy's theory about a predetermined loot table generated per game discourages us further as we don't know if it's 1.##% chance for our set item to drop or 0% since it isn't in a loot table.

If Blizzard thinks this is longevity for the game, they're wrong.

^^^ This is unacceptable. If this is the mentality then I cant see how you want to keep the average player around.
06/05/2014 17:00Posted by Seth

The very fact that we can't and won't know how long more it takes to obtain our desired item/set is frustrating to most.

The leaked legendary drop rates that was exposed recently and that TealDawn guy's theory about a predetermined loot table generated per game discourages us further as we don't know if it's 1.##% chance for our set item to drop or 0% since it isn't in a loot table.

If Blizzard thinks this is longevity for the game, they're wrong.

Statistically over time you will still get what you want. Discouraging? the game has been out 1.5 months. Most d2 ladder players did this for several months and people are whining about 1 and not have bis gear.

I can say i've put some decent time into my monk and gotten every legendary i could use except rimeheart, and withcing hour AT LEAST once. others multiple times
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]