Diablo® III

[Improvement] Rifts - Leaderboard

Howdy,

I mostly play to Diablo III with friends and we all agreed, that there is a huge lack of competition in this game.

We used to compare it to Starcraft II, and we were wondering why not implement a simple leader-board at the end of a rift ? Think about it, what is fun is Starcraft II is to compare your performance to your opponent(s) / friend(s), so why not in Diablo III ?

Format of the table:

• 1 row per player
  • 1 column per topic

Content of the table (topic):

• Damage: Damage dealt, Damage received, Damage dealt to Elite, Damage received from Elite, Damage prevented
  • Monster: Monster killed, Elite killed, Death, Average time per elite, Total Health of mobs
  • Items: Number of legendaries / set / rare / magic looted. Number of chest open (dead bodies, rack, etc ...). Numbers of wreckables objects destroyed.
  • Skills: %damage add, life healed, Crowd control, Disable

How does the leaderboard looks like ?

A draft is available here: http://goo.gl/IkCWLm

This draft is updated often, with the gathered ideas. If you don't want to read all the thread, going trough this sheet will give you a nice overview :)

Pros

• Friendly rivalry: who is the leech ? who really out-DPS the other one ? well, we'll have finally the answer :)
  • Promote support: Some interesting stats about support, could highlight how important such character are. So ideally offensive stats should have their counter part as support stats, and weighted the same in the global score. e.g. dmg dealt vs dmg received
  • Improve skills selection: I think it will help a lot the players to improve their build. For instance, let's take two monks with similar items / dps / toughness but different spells. At then end of the rift, they can easily compare effectiveness of their run: 'We receive same amount of damage, but I was killed thrice time more than you, maybe this skill is so good as I tought, and I will give your build a try' or something like that ?
  • Improve gear selection: this will help a lot, when creating / hesitating for a elemental build ...
  • Improve follower: This can be interesting to see, how helpfull is your follower when soloing.
  • Game experience: With something like this at the end of each rift, I think this can add a nice experience for players in a group, or even in solo.

Cons:

• Whine: it might just open an easy road for people who likes to whine about how weak a given class is...
  • Weakness feelings: it might also very be, that some players in pub, feels weak in comparison to others, and therefore decide to change to another game... A suggested solution will be to enable this leaderboard only between friends / clan, or disable the leaderboard in public if one player do not want to show his stats (then only a solo leaderboard is shown).

Of course the table is prone to improvements, so I'm really looking forwards for some feedbacks here :)

best,
Edited by Bux#2597 on 10/06/2014 14:55 BST
Reply Quote
Nice idea +1 Could be a nice bit of friendly competition between friends and clan mates
Reply Quote
+1
Reply Quote
+ 1 !!! I really miss some more statistics and fun competition in this game.
Reply Quote
Just edited the first post for more clarity while reading. Thanks for the feedback.
Reply Quote
Why not, leaderboards seem like a good way to keep some kind of competition going, and in e-peen land this is something that could keep players going for a long time.
Reply Quote
+1

I really like this idea! If not for all to read, then maybe just for yourself. You could def improve your way of playing and maybe change some of your skills for next run to see which build is the better one.
Reply Quote
+1000
Reply Quote
+1
Reply Quote
Community
This is a very nice thread and I would love to hear your feedback on such 'leaderboards'. Right now I can see some options there that seem like a summary of a 'Rift run' as well.
With tiered Rifts and Seasons slated for patch 2.1- it would be great if you could share how you feel about potential rivalry in Rifts with those features in place and how would you see the 'leaderboards concept' taking these 2 features into account.

Apart from Diablo ladders I have also played a lot of StarCraft II and even Brood War back in the days and personally cannot wait to see how seasons/ladders will work out in Diablo III - there is definitely great potential for fun there if competition is your thing!

We're happy to see that you like Rifts and are interested in ways to make them even more entertaining in a competitive way!
Edited by Wuluxar on 06/06/2014 16:50 BST
Reply Quote
It would be fun to get stats on that question: Who contributes most to party damage? :-) I realize some builds arent focused on DPs but support with CC or survivability, but as an example I rift with the wizard RoGeR and his gear is really strong but our damage works in such different ways that its hard to tell who softens what and who obliterates which. I would like to be able to see whether he or I am dishing out the biggest chunk of damage overall :-)
Reply Quote
If an overall best in said rift could result in an award for the most proficient player in the party, it could really make it quite competitive
Reply Quote
Leaderboards that display's damage will cause certain classes to be kicked from games due to their overall lower dps. I don't think that's a good idea. But it will get rid of leechers for sure, we kick them all!
I'd say that this should only be enabled between friends & clan members for obvious reasons...

But then again, don't play public games. The matchmaking system is horrible: puts T6 geared players in the same games as T1 or lower geared players and there is no mode to select for "bounty/rift/xp runs" and no option to open a rift with shared keys or anything alike. The matchmaking system looks as if it is still pre-RoS.
I do all my games through clan/communities. Even split bounties (the game times out and bugs a lot anyway when joining a lot of public games really fast).

If you want an improved build then we just need a better character sheet that displays our effective damage using certain elemental skills (fire, frost, arcane, etc) and our effective damage vs elites.
I mean... Try figuring out the best build for an eq barb using your character sheet... Near impossible for both damage and toughness. You have to be a mathematician and a good Googler to find all the internal D3 mechanics:
- EQ doesn't show yellow numbers but still takes crit into account. But differently.
- EQ damage varies between 1-20mil dps. Not sure why. Perhaps its the area damage that is proccing in between.
- EQ only uses the main hand weapon for calculating dps when dual wielding but still takes some properties from the other weapon into account.
- CDR doesn't seem to increase your sheet damage when you are EQ build at all.
- I have ~300-400 sheet dps but I deal up to 80mil aoe dps... This whole sheet makes no sense. But some people don't invite me because of the low sheet dps... Thanks...
- Not all variants of knockback seem to work with strongarm bracers I heard (not sure).
- Some people claim that elite damage reduction is bugged.
- Etc.

I rather have a more reliable ingame damage calculator than a leaderboard. Preferably with some option to select a skill, torment level, buffs, resource amount and the amount of nearby enemies within range and that the game then calculates your effective dps.
I'm so tired of using excel/open office & Google. There are too many hidden mechanics imo just like in D2.

Also our toughness is highly inaccurate imo. Doesn't even take double unity or COTA or other skills into consideration. You can get ~200% (all-)damage reduction on top of everything else but I'm pretty sure you won't be healed :P. It probably caps somewhere and it probably doesn't all show up in your toughness.
effective damage reduction = 1 / ((1+DR1)*(1+DR2)*(1+DR3)). Why not just show it ingame...
Edited by Silver#2967 on 06/06/2014 14:07 BST
Reply Quote
this is a very interesting option to have +1

it can also be added for classes that support the party things like
- added + x% dmg for y% duration of the rift
- healed x,y,z player for X amount
- absorbed x amount of dmg
- duration monsters were stunned by x player
Edited by alexmx#1533 on 06/06/2014 14:39 BST
Reply Quote
Isn't this basically an improved dps meter, something they didn't want in the game? THat said, it's pretty cool idea. Like some people said, get some supporting stuff on that list aswell, so it's not so much focused on dps only.
Edited by freddebw#2513 on 06/06/2014 15:02 BST
Reply Quote
Thanks a lot for your feedback !

Since a lot of ideas start to emerge, I started a sort-of 'temporary leadboard' that summarize the differentes ideas.

The leaderboard is accessible here: http://goo.gl/IkCWLm

I will update it when nice ideas comes up :]
Edited by Bux#2597 on 06/06/2014 15:45 BST
Reply Quote
Excellent idea! +1

In order to prevent the disadvantages, the board could be only accessible at the end of the rift and then disappear. Nothing persistent.

The cumulative total might be available for each individual player, accessible only to him. But then, clans might require screenshots of that information as "credentials" for joining. Hmmm...
Reply Quote
06/06/2014 15:41Posted by Bux
The leaderboard is accessible here: http://goo.gl/IkCWLm

I will update it when nice ideas comes up :]

I'm kind of against leaderboards per se, because I havnt seen anything (even in sc2) that does players justice for supporting roles as well as your high-flying 1mil+ DPS barbs.

You could have the best striker in the world on your team, but with a woeful defence you'll lose the game.

From looking at this table I can see that you can't have a direct number for (eg) damage done to elites. Think about it, you have 1mil DPS, 50 bonus vs elites, (SoJ, blackthorns, Aughilds) plus elemental, each time you strike an elite. The number for how much you do in a rift (especially in this example one that's full of elites) just wouldn't be manageable. If you got the same number, and compared it as a % against the other players, that would be useable.

So in a perfectly balanced 4 player party, all should aim to get 25% in that field (ie all playing their part). These would make for interesting reading.

Things like number of kills can be mislead by a player merely striking the killing blow.

If you implement them, they need to show a players value to the team.

Not an epeen contest.

Twitter: @ArbeiaMVP
https://twitter.com/arbeiamvp/
Reply Quote
Even when you show them at the end, then you kick the low dps-ers at the end of the rift before you start the new one. Still not good imo.
Reply Quote
06/06/2014 16:46Posted by Silver
Even when you show them at the end, then you kick the low dps-ers at the end of the rift before you start the new one.

Although the dps is not the only statistic given? A hero might have low dps score, but high "healing" or "party damage buff" or "prevented X dmg for whole party" etc. So, why kick him if the stats show that this hero, for example, helped the party to prevent 40% of total damage inflicted by monsters?

If the player is low on all scores, then maybe a kick is well-deserved!

Or maybe make the board optional: let the player decide if the board for his hero is displayed publicly to the team or not. Would that be too much? In clans, or communities, it might be a house rule to share that info at the end of the rift, so that tweaks can be proposed to clanmates. In public games though, that info might be withheld if the player so wishes (which would be like it currently is).
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]