Diablo® III

Ways to scale GRIFTS without flat HP/DMG increases

Im quite sure that these are merrily suggestions...these are OPTIONS, of how the difficulty could be scaled other than pure HP/Damage upgrade. I think a look should at least be taken at some of them. RNG might remain random, but it isn't that hard to enforce a minimum density. and should you be able to handle all mobs at a certain difficulty, than you should be able to complete the rift in time, and not fail it because of low density.

(unless youre pure tank without DPS, than you should just fail it of course).
Reply Quote
increase number of elites and their affixes with each level of greater rift to the point, that entire screen is filled with demons, add super unique monster types with enrage timers. great topic op.
Reply Quote
07/07/2014 09:39Posted by fhantomPL
increase number of elites and their affixes with each level of greater rift to the point, that entire screen is filled with demons, add super unique monster types with enrage timers. great topic op.

If your damage is high enough to clear t6 rift in about 5 - 10 minutes this would be laughable. I mean it doesn't matter whatsoever how many elites or affixes if they have the same hp/dmg. I just aoe cc and nuke all of them whether its 5 or 10 elites.
Reply Quote
affixes are meaningful, don't know what game you're playing if you think you could survive 5 elite packs with waller - thunderstorm - jailer - horde - arcane sentry combo.

i'd also bring back invulnerable minions.
Reply Quote
07/07/2014 10:06Posted by fhantomPL
affixes are meaningful, don't know what game you're playing if you think you could survive 5 elite packs with waller - thunderstorm - jailer - horde - arcane sentry combo.

Easy 1 blackhole with event horizon + lightning immunity well iceclimbers aswell and I kill all your elite packs so for me it wouldn't make a difference.

07/07/2014 10:06Posted by fhantomPL
i'd also bring back invulnerable minions.

that affix was just broken no matter how you look at it. that can't possibly be balanced.
Reply Quote
yeah. easy, easy, and in real game gravestone. ice climbers, lightning immunity and you'd kill 5 elites with blackhole :D you'd also kill frozen pulse, storms, beams and what not.

nice try. also invulnerable minions were awesome, it was a challenge after all.
Reply Quote
Hey man, I've posted a similar thread and linked yours to mine. Lets hope that more people see our link. http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/13347184974
Reply Quote
07/07/2014 10:59Posted by fhantomPL
yeah. easy, easy, and in real game gravestone. ice climbers, lightning immunity and you'd kill 5 elites with blackhole :D you'd also kill frozen pulse, storms, beams and what not.

nice try. also invulnerable minions were awesome, it was a challenge after all.

Well if you can't handle 5 elites thats your problem I however can and so can many other good players. If you really don't see the flaws of only increasing difficulty by elites well then thats sad.

And invul minions where no challenge they were simply broken especially with horde. A challenge is something entirely different.
Reply Quote
07/07/2014 11:21Posted by CJXIII
Hey man, I've posted a similar thread and linked yours to mine. Lets hope that more people see our link. http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/13347184974

Much better post :D No wonder you folks over at Us forums get all the feedback cookies :D
Reply Quote
1) More refined pools of mobs - greater rifts 1-10 select from these mobs and these affix, greater rift 11-20 select from these mobs and affix, by level 100 its all act 5 mobs with alot of elites and more affix than on T6.

2) Save progress idea. Allow us to select any level we have previously completed without allowing us to skip just for the sake of it. >>> This leads on to my next one.

3) Unique rift floors every 10 levels which contains a unique boss (not a re-hash of skeleton king, fed up of re-hashing over and over), good example is the treasure level, looks awesome, why not make a few other levels with various bosses/mobs which are unique to just that floor?

4) Dangerous scenery, il expand more than the OP, things smashing down the wall to grab you, things falling from the ceiling, mobs crawling up the walls and out of holes, meteors falling randomly, turrets in random locations that will shoot at you if you try to walk past (you can kill them), traps on the ground which trigger if you walk over them, or past their laser-wires/tripwires. This will mean you need more than just pure dps to finish a greater rift.

5) Advanced version of horde affix, mobs can have increasingly more horde attached to this affix (show the affix like horde-2, or horde-3 to let you know how high the affix is), so eventually there may be 15-20 horde with the boss (based on the rift level). That elite pack got alot scarier.

6) New affix - Determined, this elite will smash through scenery to get to you, hiding in a room will not help when it comes through the wall at you or jumps over obstacles to land near you.

7) Special treasure rooms at specific levels, only on high levels, so start at level 35 then level 45 etc. These will have rooms of chests which give alot of mats and legendaries based on the level, may give incentive to push to the next level (Can only be done once if you use the save progress idea, but allow a reset progress button?)

8) Mobs with resistances, one of the most fun things about diablo 2 was the idea that your uber build may struggle in some areas or vs some bosses and you would have to go and get certain items to help nullify it. This is a simple idea, mob takes 20% less damage from poison, or 50% less damage, gets more resist the higher the level of the rift. Opens up new builds and stops the idea of 1-2 specs being viable per class, which is the sad case atm.

9) Giving white mobs affix, this could start where the elite players start getting in, say around level 50, you will start to notice a few mobs with affix, by level 100 there could be an array of dangerous mobs that are non elites. A good example is the zombie woman who spews up more zombies, may get the poison affix that shoots the poison across the room.

10) Surprising notion, why not just make more affix just for greater rifts? Would give people a different view of the game, a more 'challenging view', atm rifts and greater rifts are identical aside from the +%dmg +%hp of normal difficulty, that took a programmer about 10mins to write, no use in trying to cover that up, could of made that myself in a few minutes.

I might add some more to this list eventually, but all I got for now.
Reply Quote
Community
Thanks everybody for the solid feedback you have given so far. This is an interesting thread for sure, so I hope people will continue to share their thoughts on the difficulty scaling in Greater Rifts.

06/07/2014 15:40Posted by Aeneas
Lets make a compilation of these ideas here, so that after the weekend, Vaneras has a nice easy link

I love nice and easy links indeed... especially if they are full of juicy feedback ;-)
Reply Quote
Agree with most of you ideas. HP scaling to tens of billions is just silly and boring to play.

Adding affixes to white mobs is an awesome idea, but I can't imagine it working in packs of monsters of 20+
Edited by Edvuxas#2564 on 07/07/2014 15:31 BST
Reply Quote
This kind of stuff wont be added.

Quite a few people in the RoS Beta suggested this is the better way and non-lazy way to increase difficulty in the game.

Mob speed, attack speed, different and harder affixes etc.

But blizzard just takes the easy way out and just increases health and damage.
Reply Quote
I like the elemental resistance idea. The affix lightning resist could give 4*rift lightning resistance. at lvl 25, around equal to T6, this would make them completely immune, but it'll be pointless from around lvl 20, dealing 80% reduced damage. You'd need a big amount of raw damage to chew through that.

Also make CC resist a affix, scaling likewise. Elites will have a 4*riftlevel chance to completely negate any cc, on proc chance. above 25, those pack are CC immune, taking out your black hole tricks. Every party's gonna need a WD just to have the pets to tank the monsters.
Reply Quote
07/07/2014 15:23Posted by Edvuxas
Agree with most of you ideas. HP scaling to tens of billions is just silly and boring to play.

[/quote]

It's not only boring and silly - it's also impossible to reach anything higher then around 40 lvl at the moment. (I dont count broken items, glitches in game mechanics and bugs).

Or mayby lvl 100 it's a long term target - mayby blizzard is planning to add some crazy powerfull items in future seasons... If not - current design of GR's doesnt make any sense.
Reply Quote
07/07/2014 12:22Posted by Aeneas
07/07/2014 11:21Posted by CJXIII

Much better post :D No wonder you folks over at Us forums get all the feedback cookies :D

:) (Y)
Reply Quote
Increase number of Rift Guardians spawned at the end of each rift. E.G.

lvl 1-25 - 1 RG.
lvl. 26-50 - 2 RG;
lvl. 51-75 - 3 RG;
lvl. 76-99 -4RG;
lvl. 100 - 4RG + Random Act Boss (Malthael; Diablo, Siege, whatever)
Reply Quote
Here's my suggestions of affixes for champs/elites. These are too harsh to be down, so should be very rare affix in lower level G.rift, but might be often in higher.

- Critical shield : Cannot be hit by critical damages, but some strong DOT damages would be a help.

- Immunity : Some random element attacks are 100% protected.

- Mimic : Having a chance to mimic player's character, even using some skills of the character. This effect lasts until the death of character, upto 30 secs.

- Stealth : Having a chance to hide. To attack, stealth should be cancelled. [If some skills get detecting property, it would be more exciting]

- Mutated : No followers or multiple number of champs, but extremely tougher and stronger more than enough to fill the places. [Upgrade version of revenge(?)]

- Kidnap : Having a chance to kidnap a player, bringing into a darkness with itself. This effect lasts until the player kills the kidnapper or be killed by it, upto 10 secs. This affix disturbs party players' team-play work. [Idea from act IV boss, Diablo]

There were more, but my night memory has a limit.
Reply Quote
07/07/2014 15:39Posted by Zabtak
Or mayby lvl 100 it's a long term target - mayby blizzard is planning to add some crazy powerfull items in future seasons... If not - current design of GR's doesnt make any sense.

That's how I figured the system was designed :) Keep the gear treadmill polished by adding more and more juicy items. There will be a point in time where we will turn to each other and say "Stone of Jordan? HA! Remember when we all wanted *that* piece of cr*p?!"

07/07/2014 16:47Posted by 김도진
Immunity : Some random element attacks are 100% protected.

While I'd love to see this as an affix I know the community, especially the glasscannon community would be up in arms over it :p

Also with the desired release so close, I doubt "new" affixes will have a chance of making it in. Programming every rift after level 20 to randomly spawn avalanches or similar, probably less impossible - the animations and attack already exists in game so its just a matter of programming in the triggers (just *cough*)

But yeah, by all means suggest them for future patches :)
Reply Quote
07/07/2014 15:09Posted by Vaneras
I love nice and easy links indeed... especially if they are full of juicy feedback ;-)

Much like my "Suggest an Affix" thread I've found it is the most effective way to get you guys to make Diablo 3 to *my* vision and design muahahah *cough* er_

Hey, whatever works, amirite? :p
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]