Diablo® III

Hardcore Wizard builds

Feel free to post your own hardcore Wizard build and get the discussion on the skills going.
This is complete theory-crafting of course, but everything in the skill calculator at this point is.
If you enjoy one or more of these builds, be sure to give them the green thumbs up --------------------->

Edited by RexCogitans on 21/09/2011 21:53 BST
Reply Quote
Yeah it semms right, I would take an indigo diamondskin + evocation any time over energy armor and galvanizing ward though. that 32 hp regen is laughable.

Also I am not sure about the AP sink skill either, on paper Blizzard looks best, since that's the one you can control most.
Reply Quote
Yeah it semms right, I would take an indigo diamondskin + evocation any time over energy armor and galvanizing ward though. that 32 hp regen is laughable.

Also I am not sure about the AP sink skill either, on paper Blizzard looks best, since that's the one you can control most.

Can't pass up 180% resistance to everything, not on a HC char.
But if we pick Evocation as you suggested (was debating it already) we can chain cast Frost Nova making Slow Time not as necessary. It also ensures Diamond Skin (I) is always up. I think it should be quite a hard nut to crack now in PVE.

I've realized that whichever big AP-drain spell you choose is not really what this build is about, it backs up pretty much whichever one you choose and gives you the AP to pull it off. So I made the build ambiguous when it comes to it.
Edited by RexCogitans on 17/09/2011 22:55 BST
Reply Quote
hum well yeah 180% resistance was really good in diablo 2, but here with evocation +gold rune we are talking about perma frost nova, with evo + gold rune almost perma slow time so neither melee, not projectiles should hit you (90% projectile slow is the reason i'd never drop slow time)

also we have a precast diamond skin 2661 absorb every 20 sec and with slowtime+nova you shouldn't take nowhere near more than 2661 damage/20 sec at all, but ofc its just theory.

about blizzard - yeah well you should be able to stack it, for it to be viable with an AP gen signature.
Reply Quote
hum well yeah 180% resistance was really good in diablo 2, but here with evocation +gold rune we are talking about perma frost nova, with evo + gold rune almost perma slow time so neither melee, not projectiles should hit you (90% projectile slow is the reason i'd never drop slow time)

also we have a precast diamond skin 2661 absorb every 20 sec and with slowtime+nova you shouldn't take nowhere near more than 2661 damage/20 sec at all, but ofc its just theory.

about blizzard - yeah well you should be able to stack it, for it to be viable with an AP gen signature.

If we are skimping on resistances I don't think Diamond Skin will be enough when we make a mistake. I think keeping Energy Armor over Slow Time is the right decision, but I see it as an option to exchange it.

Also: sorry I keep editing my posts.
Edited by RexCogitans on 17/09/2011 23:07 BST
Reply Quote
Since u just cant avoid ALL damage, at some point u will get hit and that could be fatal.
Defense provides % dmg reduction either physic either magic, on top of that runned EA provide resists.What are u kidding? Energy armor will be vital for HC char. (whenever u will get resist capped via gear(if it would be possible) u can easily switch rune for Alabaster, precision would be nice as well)
As for me i was aiming almost for the same build as TS, just was looking more for Archon, looks like it would be awesome tool either as offensive or defensive.

http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/wizard#dlQiVm!YVU!baZccY
Reply Quote
Don't make statements like "it will be vital" since you never played d3, we aren't talking about d2 where ofc you can't avoid all damage, thus need good mitigation.

In d3 it appears that they are giving you the tools to avoid all damage since it would be an art to get hit by melee with a 4 sec duration 4 sec cooldown frost nova. same goes for projectiles which are slowed by 90%.

Now of course it takes more careful play, but you never know if you can afford to take hits in inferno even with good resists as a wizard or not.. for sure you can't get enough mitigation to be able to just stand there and take all the hits, that's the monk and barb, maybe WD with the right lifeleech build.....

with the precast diamond skin you got a 2661 buffer on top of your health bar, if you see that they chewed thru it too fast cause you made a mistake, you can just teleport out for a few secs and wait for the CD to finish.

Feels safer than "lets hope i can kill them to get health globes, before they can kill me thru all my mitigation"

check my wording though "it appears" "you never know if" "feels" - i'm experssing my opinions based on the info we know so far. Unlike you, I don't think that without having played the game I can see the ultimtely right choices...
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Warrior
I think that the build is way too defensive.
You lack attacking spells. At least a spell for hordes of monsters and a spell for the big ones.

I've been thinking about that one.
http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/wizard#dRlQSi!VXf!bYYZbY

Electrocute to gain energy and get the dynamo buff.
Blizzard for hordes of monsters and hydra for the big ones. Both of them are highly mobile because I can move while casting and deal damage. I never have to stand still, unless I need to cast electrocute.

Energy armor because of the resistances, but I'd drop the prismatic rune if I have enough resistances from my gear and would either pick up the pinpoint or force armor rune for it.

Slow time with cooldown rune for defense, teleport with fracture rune for the same purpose, I wouldn't take the safe passage rune, seems bad to me. I mean, it's not like I want to teleport in hordes of monsters, so why would I want a rune that reduces the damage after I port to a safe location? A teleport and slow time should be enough for all that stuff and the 2 mirror images will tank damage too.
Edited by Broodling on 18/09/2011 09:09 BST
Reply Quote
Noone said about tanking ;)
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Warrior
18/09/2011 09:10Posted by Фурозинка
Noone said about tanking ;)

Ahh yeah, way to miss the whole point.
Reply Quote
with this build u will have problem killing things.

normal difficulty should not be problem but later, when more enemy spawns and are tougher .
3 headed hydra cant kill all. u need something more damaging/cost effcient
Reply Quote
actually with some runes hydra can aoe, so its unknown what would be more cost/damage effective.
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Warrior
Reading comprehension is quite hard.
Reply Quote
As long as they are versatile you do not need more than one big damage spell and one filler with different damage types. I'm not sure how to phrase this, but here goes: More spells with the same function does not improve our killing speed much. Having Meteor just to kill the cold immunes is overkill, magic missile can do that (yeah the fillers do real damage as well!).
Its not like we can spare one of our defensive or utility spell slots, we already have a difficult choice when we scrapped Slow Time.
I believe most (not all) successful HC wizard builds will have 1 nuke, 1 filler, 2 utility and 2 defensive like mine, but thats what the guide is about :)

I don't think Diamond Skin will really do its job without energy armor, we need enough mitigation of magic/base damage for it to work properly. Energy armor can be the difference between arcane hydras (which arcane enchanted mobs spawn) taking a third of the Diamond Skin amount and going through it.
Edited by RexCogitans on 18/09/2011 15:13 BST
Reply Quote
Broodling and Фурозинка, do you want me to put links to your builds in the OP? This thread shouldn't be all about my build, but about different HC Wizard builds :)

This goes for anyone else who wants to post a build, let me know if you want me to add it to OP, either as a link to your post (where you can explain the build) or directly to the skill calculator (if you feel its self-explanatory). Also let me know if you no longer want it poster or you want it modified (in case you change your mind about some spell or general viability).
Reply Quote
I believe most successful HC wizard spells will have 1 nuke, 1 filler, 2 utility and 2 defensive like mine, but thats what the guide is about :)

Totally agree.

Well, since my skill order isnt much different from urs, mainly just archon, there no real need to do so.
Reply Quote
I've been playing around with the skilltrainer for a while now and I came up with a build that's really similar to OPs build except for some minor changes, so what do you guys think, is it too defensive?

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/wizard#dVaQic!YVU!YYbZcb

BTW, my reason for not picking archon is that I don't understand the skill quite fully, so you get another skillset, but what skills do i get, do i get more HP and defense? Someone please clarify it for me. And if I would want to get archon, which skill should i replace and why?
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Warrior
http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/wizard#ekcSVQ!ZXV!ZZabbZ

Hm, I'd prefer Wave of Force over Teleport and use several more slow effects. 13 sec cooldown on Slow Time, and Diamond skin for some extra burst damage/survival when necesary. Using Ice Armor - Indigo instead of Energy Armor so I'm better against melee opponents. Slow Time will hopefully get rid of most enemy elemental damage.

Using Arcane Torrent to debuff for damage and as a less AP intensive skill while using Arcane Orb as my main nuke. Both slow because of Temporal Flux, keeping melee out of range longer. Hopefully long enough to cast Wave of Force again.
Reply Quote
21/09/2011 06:17Posted by Doxus
I've been playing around with the skilltrainer for a while now and I came up with a build that's really similar to OPs build except for some minor changes, so what do you guys think, is it too defensive?

There is no such thing as 'too defensive' in hardcore, but you can have 'not enough damage' and I think thats what you lack in this build. Things can get dangerous if you cannot kill the monsters quick enough. Electrocute (I) is indeed what I would go to for AoE of the signature spells, its a good choice. But I think you need something more against bosses and minibosses. I'd say Wave of Force -> Ray of Frost (C) with Astral Presence or Ray of Frost (G)... :-/ I guess I wan to turn every bulid into my own.
Wave of Force is there mostly to defend against melee, right? I think we have that covered with Frost Nova, Teleport and Diamond Skin to save us if things get hairy.

21/09/2011 06:17Posted by Doxus
BTW, my reason for not picking archon is that I don't understand the skill quite fully, so you get another skillset, but what skills do i get, do i get more HP and defense? Someone please clarify it for me. And if I would want to get archon, which skill should i replace and why?

Yeah, I don't have a clue how Archon works in practice so I'm staying away from it until I know more.

Hm, I'd prefer Wave of Force over Teleport and use several more slow effects. 13 sec cooldown on Slow Time, and Diamond skin for some extra burst damage/survival when necesary. Using Ice Armor - Indigo instead of Energy Armor so I'm better against melee opponents. Slow Time will hopefully get rid of most enemy elemental damage.

Using Arcane Torrent to debuff for damage and as a less AP intensive skill while using Arcane Orb as my main nuke. Both slow because of Temporal Flux, keeping melee out of range longer. Hopefully long enough to cast Wave of Force again.

Looks good, you should be very safe against melee, the link you provided said Energy Armor still, but I'm working under the assumption that you want the Ice Armor. You are very safe against melee and you are extremely AP efficient, you should do great damage, but I have a couple of concerns.
First, what do you do against Arcane Enchanted mobs who are, if not immune, at least very resistant to arcane damage?
Second, what do you do if you are flanked by casters and wither the fight lasts for longer than five to ten second or your Diamond Skin (even Slow Time has a 6 second gap) is on cooldown?
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Warrior
Looks good, you should be very safe against melee, the link you provided said Energy Armor still, but I'm working under the assumption that you want the Ice Armor. You are very safe against melee and you are extremely AP efficient, you should do great damage, but I have a couple of concerns.
First, what do you do against Arcane Enchanted mobs who are, if not immune, at least very resistant to arcane damage?
Second, what do you do if you are flanked by casters and wither the fight lasts for longer than five to ten second or your Diamond Skin (even Slow Time has a 6 second gap) is on cooldown?

Hmm, kill them slowly? Haven't thought much about that, mostly because we don't know enough about the specific mobs we'll face and how resistant they'll be.
Slow Time has 12.8 sec cooldown with evocation. And if huge bolts of flaming doom would come at me in that time I'll hope that I have Diamond Skin or Wave of Force off cooldown.

Those two problems aren't as bad if you have an ally or two to help though.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]