Diablo® III

Diablo 3 audio and headphones

I value sound as an extremely important part of a game's feel and immersiveness. When D3 finally comes, I would like to have that covered!

My first concern, which I haven't found any confirmation on, is whether or not Diablo 3 will support surround sound? I'm sure that it will, but still - haven't been able to find anything to confirm that. I'm counting on at least 5.1 surround, and maybe 7.1 as well. Can anyone here inform me of the situation regarding this?

My second concern is how to harvest Diablo 3's potential surround sound. My stationary computer sits in a rather tight spot with no space for surround speakers - and moving it is not an option. Right now I have a small 2.1 speaker setup which I'm afraid won't deliver the D3 audio's full potential. So I was thinking about a pair of surround headphones. Problem is that I have never tried any, so I don't know if that is a valid choice.

I was looking into SteelSeries headphones which people have been saying fairly good things about. Maybe something like SteelSeries 7H USB. (http://steelseries.com/products/audio/steelseries-7h-usb) Can anyone say anything about this? Could they deliver a great audio experience from Diablo 3? Is it overkill with surround headphones - can a "regular" pair do just as well?

And today I happened to find SteelSeries new Diablo 3 Headset. (http://steelseries.com/products/games/diablo-iii/steelseries-diablo-iii-headset#specifications) It doesn't say anything about surround though - but again, maybe surround is not even needed in headphones. Maybe surround in headphones is one of those unnecessary luxuries?

I would love to read what you have to say about experiencing Diablo 3 with headphones! Maybe you have other brands and models you can recommend? (They will be used for other games as well!) I was thinking something within the $125 range. Or maybe it's no better than sticking with my cheap, low-end 2.1 Creative speakers?

Thank you very much for your eventual help with this!
Reply Quote
I had 5.1 headphones, they were total crap, seriously... I regretted buying them my whole life. Then I got my Sennheisers HD555 and BAM suddenly good music, awesome sound detection in games, everything! I suggest you get some mid range headphones. Something like this

http://www.head-fi.org/t/271258/headphone-buyers-guide
Reply Quote
I had 5.1 headphones, they were total crap, seriously... I regretted buying them my whole life. Then I got my Sennheisers HD555 and BAM suddenly good music, awesome sound detection in games, everything! I suggest you get some mid range headphones. Something like this

http://www.head-fi.org/t/271258/headphone-buyers-guide

i agree with you that headphones that are supposed to be 5.1 are crap but there are good ones. what i have is BEATS by Dr.Dre set up as virtual surround headphone and it works better than any 5.1 headphones i have tried. for virtual surround i use ROG thunderbolt.
Reply Quote
85 Gnome Warlock
Got myself a logitech like 7 years ago or something... Works like a charm! Fallen to the ground, bits broken off, fallen into water and such. Still works like a new one! and the sounds is good enough for me! Not to pricey aswell!

But most of the time i got hatebreed on or something so meh ingame music ;)
Reply Quote
G35 from Logitech, cant wait to try them on this game, AND BF3!
Reply Quote
G35s are pretty good. Ive only used them for SC2 so far but I like them.
Edited by Jericho on 29/09/2011 12:54 BST
Reply Quote
Thank you very much for all your replies! I have now come to realize that I probably shouldn't worry too much about any surround headphones with Diablo 3. A regular stereo pair will surely do more than great!

I did take a look at Logitech's headset - no offense - but their design didn't speak to me very much. I know that I shouldn't judge by the cover, but I want a pair of headphones that I feel comfortable with - both wearing and listening through. Still I do appreciate the tip greatly!

I'll keep an eye out for future reviews of SteelSeries Diablo 3 headset, otherwise I may look for a pair of studio headphones. Please share if you have any more tips though - help is always appreciated! Thank you all!
Reply Quote
85 Human Death Knight
Stereo on headphones beat 5.1 on headphones (or 7.1 for that matter).
Even if diablo 3 supports surround it's kind of the same as having surround in an RTS, kind of pointless.
Had a g35 but switched to a stereo steelseries one, the g35 is kinda.. un-comfy..
Reply Quote
Anyway what about surround sound in Diablo III at all? We waited for this game for so long just to realize that we have to live with stereo? Come on!
Reply Quote
Headphones mixes should be kept away from 5.1 - binaural sound is better
Reply Quote
Use a good sound card such as x-fi or asus (people hate x-fi but it's still the best for gaming i think). They have a setting to "emulate" surround sound on stereo, which by the way is usually a damn good emulation. They take the 5-9 channels of surround audio data coming from your game or movie and transcode them into fake surround sound in just two channels. The emulated 3d on stereo headphones sounds much better than "surround sound headphones" according to most people. i use it and it is very amazing; I'd say as good as real 5.1 speakers, a bit better in some situations.
Reply Quote
pooh where is your evidence for it being better?

(not being a dick at all, would just like to know as i have recently finished a 10,000 word assessment in game audio and my revelation was that 5 speakers and a sub or perfect binaural was the way to go) :)
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]