Diablo® III

Barbarian Build For Hardcore

http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/barbarian#QPidak!Vdh!bZZaba

Leap attack and bash to generate fury
Whirlwind and bloodthrist can restore healt
Earthquake for area damage
With "boon of bul-kathos" i can use call of ancients and wrath of the berserker every 1.5 minute...

Any comments or tips to improve this build?
Edited by Muratti on 05/11/2011 22:43 GMT
Reply Quote
To be honest, i´d be surprised if you lasted more than 15 minutes with this build in Hc.
Hardcore is really challenging, a true test to both skill and build... and it is ALL about survivability.
It has been stated by Blizz devs that Hc is going to be a very very tough cookie to break. As it should.
Hence you need to prioritize dmg mitigation/avoidance and hp regen.

http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/barbarian#gcdbYZ!cbe!YbabZZ

With this build you have a lot of damage mitigation, through Superstition,Nerves of Steel and War Cry, as well as Threatening Shout for large packs or those pesky ranged mobs.
Cleave generates a lot of fury and has a decent aoe.
Battle rage w/ Crimson Rune fuels your spammable HotA. Your main damage source.

The build is tweakable depending on your gear/gems/enchants. On how much lifesteal, magic resistances and hp boost they give you.
But you can see the diference to your build. A lot more damage mitigation, hp regen and avoidance. Wich is a definite must for Hc.

Edit: Blizzard just made a major overhaul to the Barb Skills and Passives.
Edited by Mentat on 05/11/2011 22:37 GMT
Reply Quote
http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/barbarian#fkdXYP!cYZ!aaaabb

This build increases your ciritcal strike immensely and makes u heal incredibly much with battle rage active along with whirlwind.

Aside from that your build only seems viable if you are willing to wait 2 minutes every fight for your call of the acients, wrath of the berserker and earthquake to recharge. Also I don't think you crit enough for your whirlwind heal to be affective nor do I think you have the fury regen to support it.
My build focusses on increasing the critical strike change immensly high and you generate 4 fury with every crit if battle rage is on
Reply Quote
Passive skills of the build was changed because of the new patch. I refreshed my link. I have boon of bul kathos which reduces cooldowns of call of the ancients, wrath of the berserken and earthquake... and since ancients duration is pretty long, i will be using them near all the time. Whirlwind's life restore is also nerfed with this new patch... Frenzy skill seems pretty good... Im not sure about ignore pain skill... 5 seconds doesn't seem pretty much...
Reply Quote
now with 30 seconds decrease on cooldowns u still have to wait 90 seconds (1.5 min) before u can go to the next group. I truly beleive that using 2 or more of the 120sec skills is making you very vurnable for the time in between. What if a big boss manages to survive those 3? What will you do then?
Reply Quote
Well... i really don´t want to be a party pooper, but i think none of the builds you guys posted are viable in HARDCORE. To be completely honest, i suspect that Inferno as well.

Here is a quote from Zhydaris. A game developer.

Normal difficulty is intentionally very easy.
And this is especially true in the very first sections of the game.
We want players to get used to the game, its mechanics, the hero they're using, and so forth.

Higher difficulty levels will be the real deal. Inferno is definitely not going to be a piece of cake. Tears will be shed. Lots of them. But the joy of overcoming these challenges will be huge indeed!

You will have to farm gear, even if you are lvl 60, just to be able to survive in Inferno.
Barb is the hardest class to play as hc, since it is pure melee. We are supposed to be in the soup. Hence we have to survive the mayhem and insane amounts of damage we will be facing.
I hate to brake it to you, but i really don´t think those 2 builds would stand in Inferno. Hc...pretty sure they won´t.
You are approaching the build on the wrong side. Damage comes last.
Survivability is paramount and damage mitigation is the key. All i can see in both builds are Tough as Nails and Ignore Pain. Clearly insufficient.
There are other holes in the build...like WW. Not enough fury gen to have a 14 fps skill up.
To each his own, but even without playing the game, i can assure you... They may be shinny and fun to play around with, but, those builds won´t cut it.
In HARDCORE... you won´t last 10 minutes.
Edited by Mentat on 06/11/2011 11:30 GMT
Reply Quote
06/11/2011 11:15Posted by Mentat
All i can see in both builds are Tough as Nails and Ignore Pain. Clearly insufficient.

Honestly, I think you didn't even take the time to look through my whole build. My build does focus on surviving as priority number one by healing 24/7
Frenzy heals 13% life after killing a guy
Whirldwind regens 1.3% each crit 0.4 seconds for an attack means u attack 2.5 times a second
Leap strike has stun and is thus both escape and start mechanism (could be replaced by healing spear or healing charge)
While ignore pain is active also heal 23% of damage dealt
battle rage makes u deal more damage ( = more heal) makes u crit more ( = more heal) and gives you more fury which means u can spam more abilities and wrath of the berserker length gets increased. Aside from that Wrath of the berserker also grants increased crit ( again more heal) increased attacks (= more crit = more heal again and more damage so more heal) and dodge chance 20% as stated in the quote i think you overlooked this skill.

furthermore the passives, inspiriing prescence heals 2% maximum health a second
weapon master (i want to go for either mace or axe to increase crit for more healing)
ruthless which again increases crit for more healing and increases crit damage which also rewards more healing.

I hope you understand there should be a range (not as wide as with softcore) of viable build for soloing hardcore

The build you are going for is pure damage mitigation which would end up something like this:
http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/barbarian#fTjXbU!cVT!aYYabY

PS: I think you could have brought this on a way more polite way
Reply Quote
06/11/2011 15:03Posted by MasterMind

I´m not being polite enough?
Either you are an extremely sensitive person or, clearly, we have different views of what it is to be polite. Sorry if i don´t sugarcoat things for you, i just say things as i see them.
Delicatessen aside, i´ll take the time to go trough the works on what i feel doesn´t cut it for playing HC.

06/11/2011 15:03Posted by MasterMind

You plan on killing a HC mob with frenzy alone? Maybe you can, but i highly doubt it.
Besides...Frenzy is the lowest spammable fury gen. Why don´t you try Bash+Golden Rune...10 fury a pop.

Whirldwind regens 1.3% each crit 0.4 seconds for an attack means u attack 2.5 times a second
Leap strike has stun and is thus both escape and start mechanism (could be replaced by healing spear or healing charge)

Lets assume you can "use" WW with this build. 14fps is not something easy to get with your build. To say the least. you wil need 5! frenzy to get 1!!! second of WW... Or 1 Leap Attack.
Leap strike is great.

battle rage makes u deal more damage ( = more heal) makes u crit more ( = more heal) and gives you more fury which means u can spam more abilities and wrath of the berserker length gets increased. Aside from that Wrath of the berserker also grants increased crit ( again more heal) increased attacks (= more crit = more heal again and more damage so more heal) and dodge chance 20% as stated in the quote i think you overlooked this skill.

Ignore pain is 5 seconds.!! It is a "oh crap" button. Nothing more.
Your build lacks a heavy hitter for your more dmg=more heal argument to be valid.
Your damage output is WW and at best...Frenzy. Seems rather lacking.
You will have a hard time spamming WW. Since it´s your main damage source, i really can´t see how that´s gonna work out.
WotB has that nice dmg boost, and the very nice 20% dodge yes... but it still feels like it´s a weak damage output. Maybe i´m wrong.

My build revolves around staying alive and dealing substantial damage. It´s versatile enough to do both (i hope).
http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/barbarian#gadbYZ!cbe!YYabZZ

My biggest criticism to your build... it lacks focus and synergies. And fury generation.
Keep in mind this is all theorycrafting, but i do have the previous Diablo franchise games experience. And i know how hard it is (was) in higher difficulties. Hardcore... well, it´s kinda mandatory that you can withstand A LOT of punishment. And not only through life regen, but by constant damage mitigation.
If you really have your mind set on WW and/or WotB... try building your other skills around them.
It´s all a matter of preference in the end. But do keep in mind, that for u to have fun in HC mode... You have to be alive. And you only die once.

Hope i said everything with sugar, spice and everything nice.
Edited by Mentat on 06/11/2011 16:51 GMT
Reply Quote
06/11/2011 16:15Posted by Mentat
Hope i said everything with sugar, spice and everything nice

Sorry if i don´t sugarcoat things for you, i just say things as i see them.

The Sarcasm makes it once again a not unpleasing post to read, but as I am open for critisim I took the time to read it.

You plan on killing a HC mob with frenzy alone? Maybe you can, but i highly doubt it.
Besides...Frenzy is the lowest spammable fury gen. Why don´t you try Bash+Golden Rune...10 fury a pop.

You seem to forget that frenzy increases your attack speed by up to 75% which makes it get nearly as much as bash without golden and gives it a higher dps.

http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/barbarian#fkTUYP!cYZ!aababb
is my new build, i do not know yet wether I'm gonna take crit or increased activation on revenge

I replaced leap attack with furious charge + golden making it a big frenzy generator
I replaced Ignore pain with Revenge as this is a healing ability that will be much more spammable.

My biggest criticism to your build... it lacks focus and synergies. And fury generation.

Now I changed some skills to increase fury generation but you must be blind to say that my build lacks synergies.
2 passives increase crit chance
2 actives increase crit chance
healing from crits with whirldwind.
Higher crit chance would mean u kill mobs easier with frenzy which means you get more life from that aswell

I lack the power to see where my build lacks synergy according to you

-------

on to your build:
War Cry is not a bad skill nothing on that
Bash with Punish? The guy that shouted about damage on second place takes increased damage over stun?
Nothing on threating shout
Battle Rage? where is the synergy in more damage with surviving?
Hammer of acient with smash? again you keep stacking on damage. I heard the damage of this skill was dissapointing from some players already and aside from that Thunderstrike gives you a chance to stun surrounding units which is way better for more survivability.

Furthermore the potions in D3 have a much longer cooldown than the potions from Diablo 2 and I fail to see how you can survive a long fight with only 2% max life a second from inspiring presense

And on top of that, aside from Inspiring Presence with a shout and the stacking of Threatening Shout with Warcry and your passives, you have no synergy between any other skills.

I really wonder why you think that a healing build not viable for hardcore while a build that has multiple skills stacked on damage rather than the damage mitigation you claimed to go for in one of your earlier posts
06/11/2011 11:15Posted by Mentat

cleary you approached your own build the wrong way aswell.
Edited by MasterMind on 06/11/2011 20:23 GMT
Reply Quote
http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/barbarian#gfdPYU!Vcd!aaaZZY

What about this build? I gave up on whirlwind. War Cry, Frenzy, Revenge, Bloodthirst, Inpiring Presence they all life regeneration skills... Frenzy is main attack. Revenge is for area damage with %27 chance to become active. Leap attack is for mobility. War Cry and Battle Rage are always active... This build seems pretty good to me. Only thing is you can use wrath of the berserker every 2 minutes... But I think it's a must for boss fights. Not necessary to use all the time.
Reply Quote
Look mate, i really don´t want a flame war here. Or anywhere tbh.
I do however must clearly state that i do enjoy being sarcastic. No harm intended.
All in all, this is a game forum, and it should be enjoyable. So don´t infer me being sarcastic as something negative. It´s just the way i am.

Now that that is out of the way, let´s get down to business.

EVERY skill and passive is better or worst DEPENDING on your gear. So... accessing how a certain skill/passive will work with certain gear can be a tricky thing to do.

As for Frenzy... i am well aware it increases att speed. It boils down to whether u rather have 2 faster weapons or a heavy hitting single one. I favor the later. It seems you rather have the faster ones. That being said... HC mobs are going to have bigger hp, thus making them harder to kill.
Maybe the fast vs strong favors the fast. Or not. That is a question that i have yet to see answered and is one of my biggest concerns in game atm.

06/11/2011 18:47Posted by MasterMind
Furthermore the potions in D3 have a much longer cooldown than the potions from Diablo 2 and I fail to see how you can survive a long fight with only 2% max life a second from inspiring presense

THIS...
This is the reason why i think you don´t understand the issues with playing HC. It would seem that you can´t read what i wrote and/or can´t read a skill tab.
No offence intended.

Damage Mitigation/Avoidance is Paramount in HC. No question.
2 out of 3 of my passives are there for that reason. So is Warcry.

So that´s...
100% Armor+21% Dodge from WarCry
25% of my Vitality turned into Defense (and defense mitigates ALL damage) from Nerves of Steel.
20% less ranged damage from Superstition.
50% less damage taken and 40% reduced enemy attack speed with Threatening Shout.

Also...Bash has a 20% chance to proc a kb. And Leap Attack a 70% chance to stun.

I should have more than enough damage mitigation/avoidance to be able to survive with "just" the 2% hps regen from Inspiring Presence. On a side note... i aim on getting some life leaching gear. So hp regen shouldn´t be an issue.

Posted by Mentat

cleary you approached your own build the wrong way aswell.

Hope you have seen the error in your claim.

Since i stack so heavy on mitigation i feel i can have:
Bash + Indigo Rune to ramp up my damage.
Battle Rage + Crimson Rune to do the same and finally HotA + Crimson Rune as my spammable nuke.

Cheers.
Edited by Mentat on 06/11/2011 19:58 GMT
Reply Quote
@Muratti: I would swap battle rage with threathning shout if you have problems surviving other than that it looks way better than your first build and I think this can work.

@Mentat:

06/11/2011 19:23Posted by Mentat
Also...Bash has a 20% chance to proc a kb

KB is not really much mitigation, when surrounded by 5 mobs it's only 4% less damage

and my build has some damage mitigation but mostly it revolves around healing from everything. I intend to also stack on lifesteal items and maybe something that gives increased fury if that is available.
Edited by MasterMind on 06/11/2011 19:53 GMT
Reply Quote
@ Mastermind:

The kb proc is just a nice bonus on bash.

Also...Repost your broken link build.
Edited by Mentat on 06/11/2011 21:13 GMT
Reply Quote
repost
http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/barbarian#fkTUYP!cYZ!aababb

I honestly beleive that with some critical strike and lifesteal on my items I can pull this off.
It gives me about 29% bonus critical strike and when I used revenge it gets increased to 50% (not adding items stats and base crit chance here)

Also don't forget that crits while in berserker rage give me an additional 4 fury and with the highly spammable frenzy that would mean a high amount of fury gain
Reply Quote
I think that crowd control i more important in HC.

http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/barbarian#gcebXS!cbT!YbabYc
Reply Quote
My Build:
http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/barbarian#dbgfPX!beV!bbcaca
Reply Quote
http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/barbarian#fkdXYP!cYZ!aaaabb

This build increases your ciritcal strike immensely and makes u heal incredibly much with battle rage active along with whirlwind.

Aside from that your build only seems viable if you are willing to wait 2 minutes every fight for your call of the acients, wrath of the berserker and earthquake to recharge. Also I don't think you crit enough for your whirlwind heal to be affective nor do I think you have the fury regen to support it.
My build focusses on increasing the critical strike change immensly high and you generate 4 fury with every crit if battle rage is on

That'll get you killed in Hell let alone Inferno.

You need superstition and Inspiring Presence. No way around it. Use Battle Rage until level 41 then use War Cry.

All i can see in both builds are Tough as Nails and Ignore Pain. Clearly insufficient.

Honestly, I think you didn't even take the time to look through my whole build. My build does focus on surviving as priority number one by healing 24/7

furthermore the passives, inspiriing prescence heals 2% maximum health a second
weapon master (i want to go for either mace or axe to increase crit for more healing)
ruthless which again increases crit for more healing and increases crit damage which also rewards more healing.

I hope you understand there should be a range (not as wide as with softcore) of viable build for soloing hardcore

The build you are going for is pure damage mitigation which would end up something like this:
http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/barbarian#fTjXbU!cVT!aYYabY

I think you find that this one will get you 100 times farther.

http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/barbarian#.cRXSk!XeU!.ZYacc
USE A SHIELD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The primary can be whatever.
I use Cleave because it hits multiple targets but Frenzy is not a bad choice.

Rend's heal will keep you rocking till the end of time ontop of all your other heals.
You can never have enough heals.

Superstition is a must because of elements.
Inspiring Presence, another must, on top of the 41 rune for War Cry will help your healing a ton till 60 when you grab the +50% all res.
I personally picked Relentless due to the %50 damage reduction at 20% hp causing me to hover at 20% hp only on the most damaging of creatures and poisons but Nerves of Steel or Tough as Nails isn't a bad choice. Using both is a waste, because the damage reduction upgrade is minimal at best.

To heal in a situation where my HP is hovering at 20%, I simply use Ignore Pain. The healing rune of Ignore Pain in this build is completely unnecessary seeing as you will be at full HP as soon as you activate IG anyways.

The Furious Charge is amazing seeing as it will also heal you in sticky situations, but if more damage and AoE is desired, get the rune that reduces the cooldown.
Note that Furious Charge does not replace Leap.

Leap is a must. No way around using it. This ability you have to have. You will get stuck behind a wall at some point and die if you do not have this ability. Good luck getting to 60 without it.

Always remember it's awfully hard to DPS when one is dead.
Edited by UltimatePowa#1558 on 11/07/2012 10:39 BST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]