Diablo® III

Ladder System

Bear with me as English is not my native language so it might be a bit hard to understand what I exactly mean.

I have strong faith in Blizzard that they'll make diablo III at least as much fun as diablo II. However recently I came to the following which disturbs me in such a matter that I had to make this suggestion. First of all, will there will be a ladder system for leveling, like the one in diablo II? I do not know, do you? The problem is if this system will be implemented, the level 60 cap will probably be way wáy WAY more easy to achieve then the level 99 cap in diablo II which basicly comes down to that this ladder system has no value, especially due to the reason you can buy level 60 characters directly from blizzard.

What I would suggest to counter this situation is the following: Forget the leveling ladder system and design something completely new. When you hit the cap you should still gain experience and "level-up" without actually leveling past 60 and make a ladder out of this. I'm thinking of something where we can compare this to, but nothing comes to mind right now, so I hope you understand what I mean. With this system you can actually really start competing with other players and really stand out from others if you want to be on the top of the ladder, plus it never ends. I must say I do suggest resetting this ladder once in a while would be a good idea because of keeping this ladder up for, for example 4 years, there is no way for a new player to compete with others.

Personally when I still played diablo II, the only thing that mattered to me was how huge my e-peen grew when I was amongst the top players on the ladder. This is what made the game most fun for me. The items I worked my !@#$ off to get, came second.

My question to you guys is, what do you think of this suggestion? Did you also play diablo ii ladder to race with others and actually be on the ladder. Or am I just babbling and living in a dream world?
Edited by PrikkerT on 22/11/2011 10:51 GMT
Reply Quote
tl;dr
Reply Quote
Not seeing the good use of this and it would improve anything to be honest. Keep in mind there are expansions coming out for this game and they will most likely increase the level cap with them, so that they are even more attractable to someone who already is 60.

This game isn't about lvling up..it's about gear and items. The higher in level u are the better items u can farm (with inferno being the most complicated). No one will even care about lvls...items will show your level.
Reply Quote
There are all types of PvP activities and not all of them are direct confrontation like a ladder system you liked.

Well, blizzard also stated that PvP isn't featured strongly in this game, they refer to all types of PvP so... if you search ways to enlarge e-peen, don't search them here.
Reply Quote
22/11/2011 10:35Posted by PrikkerT
the only thing that mattered to me was how huge my e-peen grew

Ok this time I read, and you can measure your e-peen size with your achievements like everyone in WoW. I'm sure there will be achievements like "Finish inferno difficulty without dying without collecting any health globe" or IronMan achievements
Reply Quote
@AwelXTR You should at least read the OP before posting...

@OP I agree that some kind of competition would be nice in D3, but I don't like the idea of the ladder as you describe it. I don't even think it could work this time since there won't be "ladder resets" (D3 is online only, and don't encourage you to reroll the same class like D2 did). Also, to be on top of the ladder you describe you just have to play a lot, there's absolutely no skill involved. That's not "good competition" IMO.

The system is fine for D2 since there are ladder resets and the game wasn't designed around this at first and as you said the level cap takes longer to reach, but I'm sure Blizzard could come up with a better system.

What system? I don't know. I started thinking of some kind of score board where you could see how quickly others can clear this or that level, but it would probably favor one class, and encourage rushing which they don't want. So yeah I don't know.
Reply Quote
22/11/2011 10:35Posted by PrikkerT
Bear with me as English is not my native language so it might be a bit hard to understand what I exactly mean.<br /><br />I have strong faith in Blizzard that they'll make diablo III at least as much fun as diablo II. However recently I came to the following which disturbs me in such a matter that I had to make this suggestion. First of all, will there will be a ladder system for leveling, like the one in diablo II? I do not know, do you? The problem is if this system will be implemented, the level 60 cap will probably be way wáy WAY more easy to achieve then the level 99 cap in diablo II which basicly comes down to that this ladder system has no value, especially due to the reason you can buy level 60 characters directly from blizzard.<br /><br />What I would suggest to counter this situation is the following: Forget the leveling ladder system and design something completely new. When you hit the cap you should still gain experience and "level-up" without actually leveling past 60 and make a ladder out of this. I'm thinking of something where we can compare this to, but nothing comes to mind right now, so I hope you understand what I mean. With this system you can actually really start competing with other players and really stand out from others if you want to be on the top of the ladder, plus it never ends. I must say I do suggest resetting this ladder once in a while would be a good idea because of keeping this ladder up for, for example 4 years, there is no way for a new player to compete with others.<br /><br />Personally when I still played diablo II, the only thing that mattered to me was how huge my e-peen grew when I was amongst the top players on the ladder. This is what made the game most fun for me. The items I worked my !@#$ off to get, came second.<br /><br />My question to you guys is, what do you think of this suggestion? Did you also play diablo ii ladder to race with others and actually be on the ladder. Or am I just babbling and living in a dream world?

It was stated by Bashiok that there will be no ladders in D3.

A player will not be able to buy Characters directly from Blizzard... just from other players.

22/11/2011 12:41Posted by Interval
@AwelXTR You should at least read the OP before posting...<br /><br />@OP I agree that some kind of competition would be nice in D3, but I don't like the idea of the ladder as you describe it. I don't even think it could work this time since there won't be "ladder resets" (D3 is online only, and don't encourage you to reroll the same class like D2 did). Also, to be on top of the ladder you describe you just have to play a lot, there's absolutely no skill involved. That's not "good competition" IMO.<br /><br />The system is fine for D2 since there are ladder resets and the game wasn't designed around this at first and as you said the level cap takes longer to reach, but I'm sure Blizzard could come up with a better system.<br /><br />What system? I don't know. I started thinking of some kind of score board where you could see how quickly others can clear this or that level, but it would probably favor one class, and encourage rushing which they don't want. So yeah I don't know.

Even in D2 ladder merely requested a lot of playing, no skill involved either. All in all I never really understood people's fixation with ladder.
Reply Quote
22/11/2011 12:41Posted by Interval
@AwelXTR You should at least read the OP before posting...

He asked for some kind of competition, the justification was meh and the alternatives provided were ridiculous.

I repeated what the blues have said in the past and I don't want this game to be delayed nor it's quality decreased.

This is not the PVP game you are looking for.
Reply Quote
After reading some of the replies I notice how you guys are not against the idea, just don't like it because its not worked out as great as you want it to be. I wrote the OP in 5 minutes, obviously I can't make up the perfect system, just sketch the basics of it. I would love to see some replies of people that contribute to my idea by providing a different point of view on the whole idea. Maybe your idea on how this ladder system actually should be in contradiction to mine? Also read a reply that the game is all about gear, but remember; this is just your personal opinion, some people enjoy other aspects of a game which are different from your liking.

Besides that, this would not damage or unbalance the game in any way. It would just add a little extra. Or am I totally of by saying this?
Reply Quote
22/11/2011 14:15Posted by mykro
It was stated by Bashiok that there will be no ladders in D3.

I need to see this with my own eyes, can I get a redirect to this statement?
Reply Quote
The problem is there is very little purpose in doing so.
Diablo 2 ladders were only dominated by a few dedicated people and bots... rest just didn't care.
I never cared for getting lvl 99 because it was a mindless grind... it had nothing to do with skill nor was it hard... it just took time.
So I find it to be a crappy if not entirely worthless system to add "compeition" because it has nothing to do with it.
Competition for me should be about skill and skill alone (as much as possible). Everyone could join a game and complete a baal run in 5 minutes... but not everyone felt like doing it 3500 times between lvl 98-99 nor is the ones that did that more skillful or "better" than others.

I just don't see the value in grinding the most of anything unless it's hard to do so.
That's why I'm glad diablo 3 is focused on being hard (inferno) and we might actually have real competition of some sort ( though it's not designed with competition in mind, so asking for compeition in the first place is kinda redundant).
World first inferno HC clear
World first inferno SC clear

etc etc will all be goals people would like to achieve and it's about skill.
Reply Quote
I can tell you're a fan of world of warcraft with those "world first" suggestions. Nothing wrong with that but I just wish my system would be added to the game for me and for those few other players that love this kind of system because that's what made diablo ii classic so fun for me. Getting 99 on classic was nearly impossible plus it was a legit competition, no bots there. Wouldn't it just be awesome if your and my system would both make it to the game. It doesn't hurt anyone, it just adds that little extra where you can choose to be part of, or not.
Reply Quote
Was hoping more players would love this kind of system. Especially old-school diablo II players.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
28/11/2011 09:07Posted by PrikkerT
Was hoping more players would love this kind of system. Especially old-school diablo II players.

The reason people are against this idea, is becouse they don't wan't blizzard to put their time into a system that basicly only tells people that player "x" is playing diablo none stop, and for that he should have some kind of a bragging right. It's cool that you can get something to brag about in d3. But hours played? Even wow doesn't got a achievement for that. How about a /played feature like in wow? then you can see how many hours you've played and be happy about that? :)
Reply Quote
I guess you're right that it would be a system focused on just a minor percentage of the players. Guess I'm getting old and still living in a world where gaming was just for nerds who were looking for these kind of e-peen systems. A /played feature would be nice as well, just not what I'm personally looking for.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
29/11/2011 08:44Posted by PrikkerT
I guess you're right that it would be a system focused on just a minor percentage of the players. Guess I'm getting old and still living in a world where gaming was just for nerds who were looking for these kind of e-peen systems. A /played feature would be nice as well, just not what I'm personally looking for.

Don't forget about the banner system;) You can mix up the coolest banner, and you have to do hard crazy and lame achievements to get the coolest;)
Thats actually one of the reasons why i wanna have a hc char, to get the bones at the bottom of the banner :D!
Reply Quote
I'm seriously considering playing hardcore at the release of the game as well. But then again, I wan't to do some serious skill testing and I think this will cause me to die. Might be a smart idea for me to start a softcore character first.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]