Diablo® III

dps meter?

No I'm not saying that and not even remotely what I was going at... but considering my last promise I made to myself I won't discuss this further.
I cba talking with people who put up their own assumptions and make me defend them.
Next time, discuss what I say...

if something, what I was hinting at is that dps doesn't show how much skill you are... especially not in a game like diablo 3. But even in WoW.
And I played both as rogue and mage that topped dps most of the times and actually didn't use rotation guides but created my own based on knowledge(from reading) and reactions.
I find Dps meter quite useless for determing skill... all it determines is if you can defeat a boss within a certain time frame.

But nvm... carry on, I won't atleast.

(sorry If I hurted your feelings)

you don't need dps meter to preform well...
Class knowledge and actually having skill do however.

Thats what you said.
And I tell you you do need a DPS meter to perform well as a party.
But again, you aren't forced to use it, but if other people do, you may be confronted with you having a low DPS... is that wrong? No... Does it make you feel bad? Maybe. Does it improve party performance? Yes it does.
Reply Quote
No ti doesn't. It makes baddies feel good "wow I'm so gud i did mach damag, i'm first noobs".

While they might be just using an all-out DPS build, instead of taking some utility spells, that would make them more useful at the cost of some DPS.
Edited by Drez on 12/02/2012 18:59 GMT
Reply Quote
No ti doesn't. It makes baddies feel good "wow I'm so gud i did mach damag".

While they might be just using an all-out DPS build, instead of taking some utility spells, that would make them more useful at the cost of some DPS.

You mean support classes like healers? lol... Diablo 3 is mainly a single player game. If you can't support your self you aren't a good player and you slow down the party. Period.
Reply Quote
DPS meters are a cancer, along with gear score and other similar "features".
Edited by TatteredHat on 12/02/2012 19:02 GMT
Reply Quote
12/02/2012 19:01Posted by TatteredHat
DPS meters are a cancer, along with gear score and other similar "features"

They are tools to get optimal results.
Reply Quote
???

Look, just some examples. High DPS Wizard, probably first on damage meters:
http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/wizard#gjlRPW!Ycd!bZaaZc

Wizard with utility and good survivability(just made this build fast as an example), less damage than the first one...
http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/wizard#ljZSiV!deT!abZZbY
Edited by Drez on 12/02/2012 19:14 GMT
Reply Quote
12/02/2012 19:05Posted by Kraanwater
Gearscore? Don't make me laugh, all it tells you is that the guy has good gear, he might be terribad, he might not even know his pathetically easy rotation, he might be enchanted and gemmed for attack power as a Mage, he might have a terrible talent... You don't need a gearscore to see if someone is good or not. Look at his talents, his gear, gems, enchants and even if it's not the best gear, he might be more useful if he pops up Fire Ward+Mana shield in a fire AoE running out instantly, instead of finishing the 3 sec cast and starting to keyboard turn after it...
Edited by Drez on 12/02/2012 19:13 GMT
Reply Quote
Gearscore? Don't make me laugh, all it tells you is that the guy has good gear, he might be terribad, he might not even know his pathetically easy rotation, he might be enchanted and gemmed for attack power as a Mage, he might have a terrible talent... You don't need a gearscore to see if someone is good or not. Look at his talents, his gear, gems, enchants and even if it's not the best gear, he might be more useful if he pops up Fire Ward+Mana shield in the fire shield running out, instead of finishing the 3 sec cast and starting to keyboard turn after...

Optimizing results is also saving time.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Druid
I can't see Diablo 3 getting a DPS meter for the following reasons:

1) Combat is sporadic and monsters die too quickly. The fights are too short and the accuracy of the DPS meter can easily be thrown off by crits, poorly aimed shots, cooldown usage and the like, making any DPS report effectively useless.

2) Survivability is an issue that can't be ignored. You'll never be focused exclusively on your damage output as you'll be dodging incoming ranged shots, you'll be rebuffing yourself defensively and/or debuffing the damage of monsters.

Ultimately, the DPS meters could never be accurate enough to be useful.
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Rogue
Diablo doesn't focus on optimal builds or optimal gameplay, they've stated that they follow an idea of viability over than optimization. And because they do as much, ideas like threat and dps meters are invalid as the primary focus in the game isn't on living up to people's expectations to you.

There is nobody to answer to in Diablo games, unless it is player's own initiation of systems like clans, groups and so forth.
You could easily be in groups in D2 and D1 without thinking about much what you did, being a utility build was completely fine.
Which is the idea that they're having here too.

tl;dr - Stop thinking this is WoW. It's not.
Edited by Covington on 12/02/2012 19:27 GMT
Reply Quote

Having everyone strive for optimal results is not part of the design philosophy of diablo 3.
Edited by TatteredHat on 12/02/2012 19:27 GMT
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Druid
12/02/2012 19:05Posted by Kraanwater

Kraanwater's correct. DPS meters, and even Gearscore are tools. Like any tool, they're immensely useful in the right hands and like any tool, they can be misused which is what gives them their bad reputation.
Reply Quote
12/02/2012 19:26Posted by TatteredHat
Having everyone strive for optimal results is not part of the design philosophy of diablo 3

You are free to make your own philosophy and live by it but I just want to have optimised results . I would like to know if it's better to have a two hander or dual wield. I want to know who is slacking and slowing down our party.

(Psst, wanna know the diablo 3 Philosophy: MAKE AS MUCH MONEY AS POSSIBLE, that's the true Diablo 3 philosophy)
Reply Quote
12/02/2012 19:35Posted by Kraanwater
Having everyone strive for optimal results is not part of the design philosophy of diablo 3

You are free to make your own philosophy and live by it but I just want to have optimised results . I would like to know if it's better to have a two hander or dual wield. I want to know who is slacking and slowing down our party.

(Psst, wanna know the diablo 3 Philosophy: MAKE AS MUCH MONEY AS POSSIBLE, that's the true Diablo 3 philosophy)

Guess you'll have to do that without tools to help you.
Reply Quote
12/02/2012 19:31Posted by Torthar

Kraanwater's correct. DPS meters, and even Gearscore are tools. Like any tool, they're immensely useful in the right hands and like any tool, they can be misused which is what gives them their bad reputation.

that's why I don't want to use them.
Sure it's useful when maximizing dps rotations and the alike...
But going around demanding people use dps before being able to join a group or whatever is misusing it...
And like wow, it will mean you are forced to use things you don't want to use in the first place.

I don't mind DPS meters they can bef un, though I only got experience from WoW...
But I'm just afraid the bad things will come with it, and I don't want that with d3.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Druid
12/02/2012 19:46Posted by Kumori
And like wow, it will mean you are forced to use things you don't want to use in the first place.

You're never forced to do anything you don't want? Got a raid leader demanding you use DPS meters when you don't want to? Tell him you don't want to and find yourself a casual guild that don't require them.

That's the beauty of games, you can play them how you want. If people want to abuse DPS meters then let them, because you're not going to be playing with them.
Reply Quote
" man u guys suck, u only pulled 3/4 of my dps. well until i died."

"defense, is that something the "tanks" can eat. must be a mixture of asian and italian" (there are no tanks in diablo)

"dude ur doing it wrong, mobility and cc lowers ur dps, u gotta stand still. if the "tank" cant agro that, its him being a N00B, just kick him"

No...

...just no
Reply Quote
NO! Never...
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Warrior
dps meter dont needed while the game is not about dps also its not mmo
Reply Quote
I don't care
I don't get people that are super against this..
If you don't like it don't enable it for yourself..
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]