Diablo® III

Diablo 3 beta keys - opt-in is a joke

Do u actually think they need more marketing then they actually have? LOL....Only the name "Blizzard" attached to anything gives it whole the marketing they ever need. What they need is not more HYPE, but actually calm down the fans that are mad because the game has been delayed and there's no release date. Short: "let's make them shut up with some beta keys, and let others organize them so they forget about us"..and it works. Who do we curse now? the third party websites for doing ridiculous contests.

Actualy i think that the amout of Marketing is never enough, especially when it cost you nothing... The name Blizzard is of course the part of Marketing... The more you spreed the word about somethinkg the more it wil bekome known to everybody, so you have more more money from it in the end when it comes out, understand? it is simple as that... dont now if i have wrote it good my englisch su@ks

I dont give a damn, if i play the beta ( shure i would like too, who not?), and how long i w8 for the whole game, play something else meanwhile or Read a great fantasy or something else, when it comes out, i try it and when i like it then i will buy it... One fakt is thet i buy SC2 whitout hasiteting a moment and I am more than satisfied, but i will think hard if i spend the 50€ on D3, so far....
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Do u actually think they need more marketing then they actually have? LOL....Only the name "Blizzard" attached to anything gives it all the marketing they ever need. What they need is not more HYPE, but actually calm down the fans that are mad because the game has been delayed and there's no release date. Short: "let's make them shut up with some beta keys, and let others organize them so they forget about us"..and it works. Who do we curse now? the third party websites for doing ridiculous contests.

What they did is give QQers the ability to have a go at beta. This way they will stop saying Blizzard is doing it wrong...by giving beta just to US.

Make a list of ppl that don't know about Diablo (even if they don't like it) and u will see then how much "marketing" they need....it's close to 0

EDIT: No the picture above is kinda of a meme. Try searching on google "alot" there are some funny comics about it.

To be fair especially for those who have never played WoW, Diablo or Starcraft before no one knows what Blizzard is.
Edited by Fearne on 28/02/2012 11:41 GMT
Reply Quote
28/02/2012 10:50Posted by Drakoager
I bought SC1 for just 7 € i think, many years ago, and now it is 15€? WTF for what?...

Inflation, amongst other things :)

Keep in mind 7 euros today does not have the same real value as 7 euros "many years ago".

Back on topic:
I am also not very happy with these contests, but this is mostly because participants from certain countries cannot participate in them. As a result, some people have better chances than others of getting keys if they enter beta give-away contests. Put differently, a person who has opted in AND has entered a contest has better chances of getting a key than some other person who has ONLY used the opt-in feature.

But, blame your country as well I guess :P
Edited by Venum on 28/02/2012 14:12 GMT
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Shaman
I can't say it enough that blizzard went downhill after activision, since at the start imo they went from earning good money and REALLY care for there customers too only care how they can make the most money out of it. I also opted in for the beta's for some time and I played from vanilla WoW and all their other games for about 6-8 years.

By that I don't mean I SHOULD have an beta invite just because I play there games for about 6-8 years. But having too fooling around for a simple beta invite with facebook and twitter which btw I can't even participate from facebook since strangely the Netherlands aren't allowed by my surprise since normally as I can remember we should or am I wrong?

Anyway I will still buy diablo 3 but seeing how Blizzard acts these days and see more people who aren't trolling aren't satisfied with Blizzard for good reasons. It's really a shame how Blizzard could turn like this.
Reply Quote
From what I understand, the fansite giveaways are extra keys. They have already spread tons of keys with opt-in, in the US.

This thread says they have started the hand then out through opt-in in europe as well now.
http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/3389262047
If this is true, I do not know.

I was lucky to actually get a betakey on a website(D3DB) and I'm not a bot. And I know of others who have as well. So I no longer have to hope for a key from opt-in(I am EU).

I agree they should get started on the opt-in and announce it when it's actually happening. But they couldn't do an opt-in spread in EU without EU servers.

For every key there is, theres at least 100 people looking for one.
Small chance of getting one, and that is if you use every possible method of obtaining one. Which is practically impossible.
Edited by Ryve on 28/02/2012 11:55 GMT
Reply Quote
83 Orc Shaman
Gief beta ^_^
Reply Quote
Beta? What Beta? 0_o
Reply Quote
Beta? I'd say they're in Omega by now.
Edited by Darthnixa on 28/02/2012 12:32 GMT
Reply Quote
One word: Inflation.

Keep in mind 7 euros today does not have the same real value as 7 euros "many years ago".

REaly? i dont think so, it would be not so high, duno but 100% inflation?
Reply Quote
guys, i really wanted beta since they announced the beta test. i received my beta key a few days ago and played the beta,

but honestly its not that good, its the same run through again and again, and does get boring quickly, just wait for the game

the beta isnt very good.
Reply Quote
I've never seen a Beta like this.
I wouldn't even call this Beta, it's more like a demo, some sort of special club intended to create even more hype around the game.

What pisses me off is that they don't seem to give a **it about Europeans. While NA players get more than 100k invites, we, Europeans, get retarded, no logic and unfair, time wasting Facebook contests. Instead of using the opt-in, they hand over 500 keys to some guy on youtube, 400 more to some fansite no one ever heard of, and so on...
Edited by Cadaveri on 28/02/2012 13:03 GMT
Reply Quote
Hm,

I was very frustrated as well (I got my key last saturday) after one week of subscribing to sites I probably never visit again, the d3db fiasco and some pretty exhausting "time zone - alarm clock rings at 4am"-stuff.
I never even once made Blizzard responsible for my stress and my anger Not because I am a mindless fanboy, but simply because they were just handing out the beta keys. What they accomplish by that in my oppinion is the following:
-They strenghten their fanbase by giving Fansites the opportunity to get new users, free (and in the case of a game like Diablo 3) huge advertising-options.
--> Sites with more users, maybe even a bunch of new regulars get more money from adds can offer better content, maybe creating more longterm players.
+They repay their fansites for the advertisement Diablo 3 gets from them just being there. If needed or not it seems like the right thing to do, doesn't it?
-They increase the hype - if they have to or not, if its intentional or not doesn't matter, that these last 1,5 weeks increased the hype a lot is a fact. I even told my friends (who gonna buy the game even though some of them never played a Blizzard game) about the contests and how crazy it is - to name a small scale example.
-They are inviting a greater variety of players into the beta, maybe someone who never played a Blizzard game - and to say this is a bad idea is just wrong, because of course they are also aiming to get new players to play their game and some feedback there might be nice as well. (this is a weak point, i admit that)

Those are pretty decent reasons to give away _a few keys_ - compared to the 100.000s given away already and I actually doubt they totally had to give away this number of keys somehow to make their beta more efficient - I would rather think of it as a bonus for accomplishing the reasons above.

Now how these fansites handle it - that is another story. Poorly, greedy, shameless, clueless are a few words that pop into my head when I think about some of them.
Nevertheless there were Keys given away by simple lotteries (blizzplanet, Force, reddit)
and there were creative things
(ingame.diablo - write in less than 100 words why you deserve a key, every message will be read and the most deserving win - yes they read 7000+++ for giving out 100 keys;
reddit stream event: -not counting the stupidly ingame-posted ones - Its totally understandable for a site to want to get something out of it, and if they force you to watch the steam and you hate it, but like 40 people like it and stay, its worth it)
And there were plain idiotic events
(d3db, cvg - though they are giving out A LOT of keys, i saw many people win already)

So let me take all that into account what I wrote and I can conclude 3 points:
-This is the wrong place to whine about the way the sites give away their keys. Maybe consider going at it from a different angle and asking Blizzard to interact more with their fansites, showing responsibility and deciding on the giveaway methods together. If they did that, there would never have been publicly posted keys that got banned afterwards because to many users tried to claim it/sore loosers reported the keys as stolen.
-The keys are there for fansite advertisement and strenghtening of the fanbase and IT HAS ALWAYS BEEN THAT WAY WITH FANSITES GETTING BETA KEYS TO GIVE AWAY. The fact that there are just so incedibly many people who want to get one, does not change the basics of how beta keys given to fansites work. I doubt I will continue using d3db because their contest actually drained the life out of me, but I found myself stuck in the reddit-irc chat and I again realized what an amazing site my ingame.diablo is. I even met about 3 people throughout the events with whom I will stay in contact with, one of them I can already count as good friend (in internetterms).
-The biggest problem is neither Blizzard nor the fanpages - its you. Including me that would make the tens of thousands of people that were or still are trying to get a beta key, I simply think Blizzard as well as a lot of fansites hugely underestimated the numbers, didn't you too? This underestimation was influencing the number of keys given to those sites as well I guess. That can have a bad or a good consequence Blizzard decides to throw in some more to create a fair spread or they realize oh damn, we don't want to make a server stress-test THIS big - we'll have to seize giving away keys at some point. But looking at the estimated amount CVG is giving away, I would guess they they went for the first one.

I say it again: IF they NEEDED the numbers of players that got in through beta-key-contest for their beta, they WOULD HAVE given those keys away on the battle.net. And: Its not a demo - its a beta, you most certainly have to "right" to get it, as harsh as it sounds.

I am happy to have one, and when they fix my login bug i might be able to play tonight - I also wish you the best of luck in the contests.

Dokwart

Edit: Some typos, I hope I made it easier to read, added 1 or 2 sentences, not a native speaker so sorry for possible mistakes
Edited by D3BETA on 28/02/2012 13:10 GMT
Reply Quote
I say it again: IF they NEEDED the numbers of players that got in through beta-key-contest for their beta, they WOULD HAVE given those keys away on the battle.net. Its not a demo - its a beta.

Well thats where most of this frustration is coming from. To watch the release date bumped back twice after some massive hype at Blizzcon, to watch the majority of the keys go to Americans (for an understandable reason, yet still incredibly frustrating) and then for a complete lack of communication and understanding from the blues in response. Is it that hard to have expected this outrage after multiple let downs and apparant favoritism? All of this fueled by the only apparant way of obtaining a key for EU players being from dumb luck, competing with every other player, both American and European, also dying to get on and try the beta.

Luckily for me my flatmate managed to win a key off a facebook contest so I'm sorted until release or I get lucky from an opt-in, but I still believe this has been a complete disaster from Blizzard in EU relations.
Edited by Stewyb on 28/02/2012 13:10 GMT
Reply Quote
Take a look at CS:GO beta, they handed out keys to some participaters in a survey and to the 700 most active players in CS 1.6 and CS:S.
Reply Quote
28/02/2012 13:25Posted by Zóc
Take a look at CS:GO beta, they handed out keys to some participaters in a survey and to the 700 most active players in CS 1.6 and CS:S.

WTF? AHAHAHAAAA, that is funny and terible in the same way... Realy like bliz more and more... I hate CS, never play it at all ...
Reply Quote
One word: Inflation.

REaly? i dont think so, it would be not so high, duno but 100% inflation?

Okay, granted it isn't ENTIRELY due to inflation itself, but that definitely does still play a role. It also depends on how many years you actually meant by "many years ago" :)
Reply Quote
Ive opted in since it was evan posible and they still treat us like crap :| N\A got beta trough opt -in no competitions no nothing just opted in why can we the rest have the same chance?!

Im not gonna stalk facebook or twiter 24\7 for maby a chance to win a key

And btw europe is at least 2 minutes of when in comes to posting on facebook or twiter so basicly somthing gets writen in the U.S side of the world Eu and the rest see it at least 2 - 3 minutes later , ergo no chance in wining a beta key

I once caught a post from diablofans on facebook that was 2 seconds old when i hade given my answer there where allready 60 posts in a time frame of max 10 seconds

So yeah this sucks . I dont have anything personal whit blizzard or any other part that is involved in the game creation but i want a chance on a beta key just like the normal US citysen. Please give us Opt-ins
Reply Quote
N\A got beta trough opt -in no competitions no nothing just opted in why can we the rest have the same chance?!

Because the only servers are at America right now, and sending a massive wave to europe would only hamper their efforst.

The only reason why Europe hasn't seen a massive beta yet is because there are no Europe servers, where they are created you will all get a beta, anyway, I opted in at D3DB only, it was the first fansite that featured a full list of spells for every class, even by the time the list was yet-to-be-finished (it's division was like D2, a bunch of spells were distributed along every 6 levels), so I though they deserved my new account in their database.

Made a new account and took me the flamming time of 45 minutes to be granted one.

It's all about luck.
Reply Quote
Somebody's a bit mad that they can't play the game... You opt in to test the game and help with the development you don't opt in so you can just play the game it's not the whole point of it.
Reply Quote
28/02/2012 14:28Posted by D3BETA
Somebody's a bit mad that they can't play the game... You opt in to test the game and help with the development you don't opt in so you can just play the game it's not the whole point of it.

I fully agree and support your theory! Can u provide a list of all your bug reports please?
Edited by Rebound on 28/02/2012 14:57 GMT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]