Diablo® III

Does ping affect single player game?

Bad connection didn't had an effect on StarCraft II singleplayer, why would it ruin D3 singleplayer then?
Reply Quote
88 Human Paladin
03/03/2012 11:44Posted by Necreon
Bad connection didn't had an effect on StarCraft II singleplayer, why would it ruin D3 singleplayer then?

Because in D3 the server is constantly telling the mobs where to go and what to do, much like in WOW. In SC2 you had a connection just for authentication/anticheat purposes.

(I think)
Reply Quote
03/03/2012 11:44Posted by Necreon
Because in StarCraft 2 single player your own computer is handling everything, so it immediately knows what's going on. In Diablo 3 the server is handling the data and telling your client what's going on. So your client will always be behind by at least a little bit. When lag is high your client will be further behind and things will seem odd.

Imagine your connection having a hiccup which prevents data from the server being sent for 5 seconds. Stuff is still going on in the game, but your computer doesn't know it so it can't animate it on your screen. And once the 5 seconds pass, the client will then attempt catch up with the game state somehow (In d2 animations would rapidly speed up for a short while to enact the missing information and things would sometimes appear to teleport around as monster and player positions got updated).

These days, Internet connections in general are fast and stable, so it really shouldn't be much of an issue for most people. Although it's bound to happen now and then. Which is why I won't be playing Hardcore :)
Edited by IxNine on 03/03/2012 15:20 GMT
Reply Quote
I can understand Blizzard wanting to protect their game from piracy. But the system they have implemented is really not worth all the trouble and will surely affect many players in a negative way. As much as I love the Diablo franchise I truly hate the way Blizzard have implemented the game to get constant orders from a server.
Edited by D3BETA on 03/03/2012 16:15 GMT
Reply Quote
Ping does not affect the fights until 300-350 ms. Between 350ms-500ms its still playable, after 500ms, its pretty annoying, but under 300-350 fights are like you're playing single player.

I'm playing from Turkey, and I do not have the best connection out there, and I usually play around 200-225ms on NA servers, so I'm guessing it will be much better to play on EU servers. Blizzard did a really great job server/client structure wise
Reply Quote
88 Human Paladin
03/03/2012 18:14Posted by D3BETA
Blizzard did a really great job server/client structure wise

W00T! Blasphemy!

Stop spreading positive feedback on these forums!

:p

Reply Quote
03/03/2012 10:07Posted by WAT
It has effect, i was downloading while i played and it was too laggy, when i topped no problem at all. So SP is effected same as Mp.

thats pathetic, ive got torrents 24/7 and just bcuz of their drm i wont be able to play fluently

It's ironic you use the word pathetic and that you use torrents in the same sentence.
Reply Quote
Singleplayer is solo multiplayer.
Reply Quote
In one word: Yes.
Reply Quote
03/03/2012 20:47Posted by SorryDnoodle

thats pathetic, ive got torrents 24/7 and just bcuz of their drm i wont be able to play fluently

It's ironic you use the word pathetic and that you use torrents in the same sentence.

what? u suggest torrents are bad? u mad
Reply Quote
My view of the server/client architecture from what I've read.

The server initiates a battle.
You see zombie, server says "kill player"
The client sends info of the whole battle. BUT doesn't wait for any return info, the whole battle happens in the client.
If the server (after recieving info) sees something odd, it processes it, to catch bots/dupes. This is the only server>client info that may happen during battle.
You fight the good fight without a single problem from ping/lag.
The zombie dies.
The client sends info about the death of a monster. The server sends info of what drops.

Now I will admit that while I was using DAP at full speed I did notice little lags as I was moving and uncovering new bits of map, but the battles were sweet, without a single problem with cast times, attack animations or the killing blows themselves.

I think they have done wonders with it.
Reply Quote
<span class="truncated" />

If you can't handle that... stop using torrents?
Personally I can have torrents and several games requiring connection without any problems...

Get a better connection or stop complaining.

My view of the server/client architecture from what I've read.

The server initiates a battle.
You see zombie, server says "kill player"
The client sends info of the whole battle. BUT doesn't wait for any return info, the whole battle happens in the client.
If the server (after recieving info) sees something odd, it processes it, to catch bots/dupes. This is the only server>client info that may happen during battle.
You fight the good fight without a single problem from ping/lag.
The zombie dies.
The client sends info about the death of a monster. The server sends info of what drops.

Now I will admit that while I was using DAP at full speed I did notice little lags as I was moving and uncovering new bits of map, but the battles were sweet, without a single problem with cast times, attack animations or the killing blows themselves.

I think they have done wonders with it.

This is quite spot on as I understand it works aswell...
So people who complain about lags probably have problems with their internet connection like packet loss and such.
If you do have lag... fix your connection.
Edited by Kumori on 04/03/2012 09:03 GMT
Reply Quote
03/03/2012 08:29Posted by Kaptein
I played today at a friends house the beta and we live in South Africa. We had like 400ms but we had no lag at all when it came to combat, I played a singleplayer game and a public co op game and neither of them lagged at all in combat. So I'm pretty sure when final release comes and EU servers we shouldn't have to worry at all :D

That's what I like to hear! I've always been worried about the effects (especially after actually seeing the rubber-banding effect in some youtube clips from US beta players) but at the same time I'm still not really convinced that it'll be as fluid as it would have been without any latency (even if I just get disconnected for some reason and land up running around an empty map for a few seconds before the client "clicks" - imagine the horror when you lose an HC character to the graveyard because of a connection hiccup even if it's the best available to us locally...I guess it means we'll have to settle for normal co-op with grandma!).
Reply Quote
While latency will definitely play in, it will be much lower at launch since we'll get our own servers over here in Europe and not be dependent on the US one like we are now.
Reply Quote

Most are, yes.

I doubt you use them to share/download free software, but you might of course, in that case I apologies.
Reply Quote
It has effect, i was downloading while i played and it was too laggy, when i topped no problem at all. So SP is effected same as Mp.

And how about when you want to play any game online or an MMO? Does that suck too because your torrents cause lag?

Learn to set your torrent upload/download rates then...

Or stop pirating so much stuff?
Edited by Foulplay on 04/03/2012 11:40 GMT
Reply Quote
lmao, what a bunch of kids
Reply Quote
On release I'd expect your ping to be sub 150 unless you're on 56k.

It won't affect your "single player" experience.
Reply Quote
Im sorry to say it, but it is.

I have latency 1400 in the US beta. Lags like uber !@#$ in SP.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]