Diablo® III

Diablo 3 Strictly PVE? Oh Please...

When Diablo 2 was released not everybody(like now) had internet connection. Most of us spend many hours doing pve. You must be one of not too many who experienced pvp in D2.
Stop crying and go wank off in the corner. Diablo was always about pve so shut your tiny lips kido.
Reply Quote
Its actually really simple:

Diablo 3

PVE - Core Gameplay

PvP - Available for those who want it (Hint: This wouldn't exist if it didn't HAVE to)

PvE - Many play only this

PvP - Many will (after gear acquisition) play only this

PvP + PvE - Many will also do this

Verdict: Nobody is right or wrong. There are segments in the community who play for different reasons.

Big picture: The thread was dedicated to those who love PvP like me and for them to enjoy and reminisce over the good fun PvP was and will be to us. NOT to take anything away from those who only play PvE.

THE ONLY POINT WAS: If D3 was "strictly PvE", they would not have added an Arena. So its is a false statement.

Stop with reason and clear thinking already, it doesn't belong in a forum. Now people arguing over PvE contra PvP, is anyone surprised about the amount of conflicts and disputes around the world today?

But yeah, well said.
Reply Quote
06/03/2012 09:34Posted by ohGr
Stop with reason and clear thinking already, it doesn't belong in a forum. Now people arguing over PvE contra PvP, is anyone surprised about the amount of conflicts and disputes around the world today?

This was my first time posting anything in this forum! I can't believe how intense it is and how quickly things get out of hand. I wanted a friendly chat, now people are raging all over the place, myself included.
I am starting to think I am too old for a game like D3 if half of these dimwits are the ones I'll be playing with.
Reply Quote
It's called taste. Some people like bananas, others like apples. It's just the same with this.

Some people will focus more on PvP, some will focus less. There's no obvious reason behind it, it's just different predilections.
Reply Quote
85 Human Mage
You will not get the geared characters you had in D2, for the simple reason, there should be no bots at work.
Therefore your hunt for gear to max-gear those 5 characters is never going to end, because, by the time you do, there is an expansion.

Now go away trying to compare your bot experience from D2 with D3. There will be some casual pvp which you can participate in but you will always have that 1 item to find.

1. I didn't use bots in D2. Granted others did and with D3 there may be less items in circulation, BUT:

2. I have the means to buy up anything from the RMAH if I so feel like it, the price won't matter. I will have those items you claim I won't. Its that simple...

3. Now go away with your ignorant little comment and earn some money so you don't look as dumb as you sound if you ever pull up next to me at a red light. You'll probably also say I used a bot to get my car too...I mean, if YOU don't have these things then someone must've cheated right?

Smell an E-peen here...must be angry kid because I am actually making a valid point.

Anyway so now you claim that because you are willing to buy all your gear from the RMAH you want to complain that you have nothing to do and therefore they should make PvP content for you?

Listen if you do not intent to play the game and just want to buy everything that is fine, just don't complain about the fact that you have nothing to do in the game and they should therefore create PvP content. People actually playing the game will have plenty to do until the expansion.

Comprehensive reading must not be your strong point as there is no line of text where I state that you used a bot.
Your mindless rambling tells me exactly how big your wallet is by the way ;)
Edited by Krakatoa on 06/03/2012 10:24 GMT
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Rogue
<span class="truncated" />

... You're just a douchebag..

Stop moaning bout' your precious PvE and stop the endless "Blizz said" "D2 isn't" "D3 isn't going to be..." sentences? It's ALL you're doing.

I loved to MF, i loved to gather gear... i spend countless hours doing runs for the perfect loot... to sell it and get even better and i LOVED the hostile PvP part.

For those who keep saying.. that the hostile part sucked, and didn't belong in D2.. trust me, it wouldn't have lived for far aslong if it wasn't because of the "not needed pvp in a pve game".

Why am I a douchebag?
because I stick to facts?

And no... I don't trust you untill you provide proof of your claims.
Considering the post of yours... you are the little guy.

And btw, you make it sound like I'm against pvp... I'm not.

Are you drunk? ;-) cmon.. the post was directed at Plindstorm, or whatever his name is... chill Kumori... that's the guy i Quoted from the front page... for some reason u felt that was directed towards you? .. Wtf.

... So i'd appreciate if you take back that extremely lame comment -.-
Edited by Niriana on 06/03/2012 10:41 GMT
Reply Quote
05/03/2012 19:50Posted by Sketchy
But what do you do once you have that PERFECT char?

so, by farming in d2 you got inventory full of HGs and got all "bis" items?
May I say that this is inpossibru?

Dont forget that in D2 many runes sojs etc were duplicated, many runewords that you got by trading had inside duped runes.
I played D2 ALOT, for a long time (but stoped before baal etc ubers came, but hunted for some time uber diablo by the mirc chanell and paying for the ip an anni), and even i tryed to be the !@#$%^- with bots that didnt gived me almost any proffit, with 4 bots at the same time runih for like 10h/day I found once a high rune, and another LO rune i found by helping a friend or something (if i remember right). So the point is in D2 by solo farming was inpossible to get bis items, dont forget that there are stats like 1xx-2xx, even some had 1-3 (or something) to all lvls. The real perfec item was worth alot. So if you still think that you gona be able to farm the BIS items in D3, gl with that. I'm sure blizz wont let D3 be hacked ike D2 was with maphacks, bots etc. So the items gona be worth, not like an enigma that was worth atleast 30+ist runes, you culd buy it for just few of them. When hunting the HRs for one good runeword was almost inpossible...

Well as I sayd even bots culdnt make you rich but was mostly an trade game to get good items, i worked alot on luck (mixing gems with GCs) that made me easy "rich" too. after deletind the 2nd time my all chard and gived away my items to friend i got some luck on skiller (javelin skiller 44 life once) that i culd trade it via forum for almost all good runewords that i need.
Reply Quote
05/03/2012 20:50Posted by Sketchy

[Quotation needed]

This means as much as:
"It is not about opinions." *Gives his opinion*

so far you have said that you MUST play PvP in Diablo 2 (and apperntly you have futare vison, oh great seer) and it WILL be so in Diablo 3

I am sorry, could this be just your... oppinion maybe?
If you plan to buy D3 just for the sole purpose to PvP, you really should look in to other games

05/03/2012 22:12Posted by Niriana
... You're just a douchebag..

oh yes, I bring facts said by the lead game designers himself, I am the purest form of trolling and douchbag here

06/03/2012 10:41Posted by Niriana
... So i'd appreciate if you take back that extremely lame comment -.-

infact, kumori said exacly what I whould say

So far in this thread:
Those that like PvP say thier oppinion (that they are entiled to) and then claim it is facts
So far, they claimed that D3 will only survie for a long peroid of time if it have more PvP in it.
evidence count for this: 0
those who are against a large amount of PvP (Note: I said "Large amount" not, "PvP completly", but if you are one of the guys that do want more PvP you will most likly not care) have the lead game designers who said it whould not feature a large amount of PvP as well the reason D3 will not feature it that much

and yes, we are not comeplty against PvP (but those of you that does not want to read won't get this). We just known (we know Jay said this etc. etc.) that D3 won't focus on PvP, it will feature only Casual PvP, so people that buy D3 for the sole purpose to PvP, will be making a bad choise (games like DOTA 2 will be way better do to the entire focus of the game is PvP)

and again, games who feature no PvP at all... Skyrim, what you do when you "beaten" it?
you sign up on the offical forum to whine about no PvP option?
if not, why?
please, I love to hear
Reply Quote
"PvP (short for 'player versus player' combat) has had a storied history in the Diablo series."

taken from

http://eu.blizzard.com/diablo3/world/systems/pvp.xml
Reply Quote
"PvP (short for 'player versus player' combat) has had a storied history in the Diablo series."

from the same place:
"Our aim for Diablo III's PvP is to set you up with dangerous, exciting gladiatorial matches, let you battle it out with other players at your own pace, and allow you to proudly display your rewards. We've added a robust system to remove the obstructions that may have kept you out of the action, so that you can focus on what really matters: answering the age-old question of 'who would win in a fight' -- with a gauntlet to the face."

mention of Dedecated PvP or E-Sport: 0

"You'll learn many of the fundamentals of PvP (like how to avoid attacks or target specific foes) by playing the single-player game, but PvP differs in that it isn't an ideal venue for gathering new weapons and armor. Your rewards for shedding blood in the arena are purer than that: bragging rights, the joy of sending friends old and new to their swift and inglorious deaths, and points that represent how far you've progressed on the path to fame and glory."

Reward for playing PvP: Bragging rights (AKA: Nothing)

"We're also looking into other PvP game types that exist outside the ranking system, like 1-on-1 duels and mutually chosen team battles (for example, you and your friends could divide into two teams for an arena showdown). We'll have more information on the availability of these game types in the future."

here is a good quote, this is what we have been saying for quite a while:
They will most likly feature more PvP modes, however, this is not the main focus of the game so they do not work on it right now. we will possibly know more of this if the future.

and here is a quote from an other page (that focus more on PvE part of the game, and funny, it's quite bigger then the PvP page)

"One of our primary objectives for Diablo III is to make encounters with the grotesque beasts and demons of the Diablo universe even more tactically interesting than they've been in previous games. The challenge lies in doing that without removing the accessibility, speed, and forward momentum that the series is known for."

I found the bolded part intresting
Edited by Plintstorm on 06/03/2012 11:41 GMT
Reply Quote
A game that's strictly PvE does not have PvP by default at all.
Like Portal 2 or Kirby's Adventure. :P

Obviously Diablo 3 isn't strictly PvE as it has a PvP mode.

It's definitely focused on PvE, though.
As you can hear from Jay Wilson (The Game Director of Diablo 3) both Diablo 3 and WoW have a PvE focus.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_E452S_fJwA

There's absolutely nothing wrong with playing Diablo 3 just for it's PvP portion if that's what you enjoy doing.
It's kinda bizarre I actually have to state that!
It'll probably be quite fun.

However you are in denial if you think that Blizzard will make it super balanced and have leader boards and tournaments and stuff.
That is, unless they change their minds about it.
Reply Quote
05/03/2012 20:42Posted by D3BETA
I absolutely hated Diablo 2 "pvp". You were either way too powerful, or really underpowered. I played Diablo 2 for more than 7 years, and I've pvped 5-10 times max

That was the major flaw of Diablo2 pvp. You were facing the surprise of fighting people with Ith-blades, Occulus rings or what have you. Those were always present in duel, duels, duel1, etc. In order for you to compete on a more leveled playing field you needed to be part of communities, and there were a ton of those. The most fun I had in pvp was during D2's high-time of 1.09. You had designated games for PvP posted in member restricted areas of the forum or on IRC. It was glorious. We organized item-restricted pvp leagues and tournaments too.

If Blizz can eliminate or severely reduce the amount of cheating going on, the PVP will be a much more enjoyable experience, even for PVE players. The expertise in doing correct match-making Blizz has acquired through Sc2 will help alot too. Personally I can't wait to swing my axe into some1's head :)

On a personal note: My first focus will be PVE. I want to overcome the odds of inferno first before I dedicate builds and item load-outs to PVP. In the end however, PVP is what will keep me playing the PVE game though. Hardcore is a different story entirely though :)
Reply Quote
06/03/2012 10:21Posted by Krakatoa
Anyway so now you claim that because you are willing to buy all your gear from the RMAH you want to complain that you have nothing to do and therefore they should make PvP content for you?

Oh ya? Where exactly do I say this? Mr Comprehensive reader!

06/03/2012 10:21Posted by Krakatoa
just don't complain about the fact that you have nothing to do in the game and they should therefore create PvP content.

Again, I never said this? Mr Comprehensive Reader!

Let me quote myself and prove to you that you may have made a mistake here:

Its actually really simple:

Diablo 3

PVE - Core Gameplay

PvP - Available for those who want it (Hint: This wouldn't exist if it didn't HAVE to)

PvE - Many play only this

PvP + PvE - Many will also do this

Verdict: Nobody is right or wrong. There are segments in the community who play for different reasons.

Big picture: The thread was dedicated to those who love PvP like me and for them to enjoy and reminisce over the good fun PvP was and will be to us. NOT to take anything away from those who only play PvE.

THE ONLY POINT WAS: If D3 was "strictly PvE", they would not have added an Arena. So its is a false statement.

Thats what I said. I don't know where you took the rest from... honestly. Either way, this has gone too far for my interest, so lets drop it. I respectfully bow out.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
05/03/2012 20:37Posted by D3BETA
It was same thing with WoW, at first they had no focus for PvP and look what it turned out after. Same will happend with D3 wether you like it or not

i actually believe in this. yes wow in its vanilla time was focused on pve buth the pvp got so popular especially with the arena introduction in tbc that it became a big part of the comunity. alot of pvers do competetive pvp in wow. and right now i am sure that the pvp comunity of wow makes up 50%.

and alot of sc2 and wow pvpers will use the pvp arena system like OP said after they gained that loot that they needed.
Edited by Judgmènt on 06/03/2012 13:40 GMT
Reply Quote
05/03/2012 22:22Posted by Mentat
Either does not effect the other.

you want more pvp modes and we want more pve, and all of these things are completely doable in sync, without destroying one another.

Yes. Yes it does. And it does so BIG TIME.
Balancing PvE and PvP at the same time is a painstakingly harsh job. And one that has dire consequences.
Being a PvE oriented game, D3 can not be balanced towards "serious" PvP content. Changing a skill/passive, making it more PvE/PvP balanced unbalances it for the other side. Anyone who has played WoW for some time knows this for a fact.
These 2 worlds are hard to merge when it comes to "serious focus" gamewise. I have no quarrel with some PvP in D3, it will certainly be fun, but i do seriously hope they don´t ruin a PvE game trying to make it more PvP "friendly".
D3 is not a hybrid or PvP, it´s a PvE oriented game with some PvP to go along.

-x% Damage vs Players.
+y% stun time vs Players.
Need more clarification?
Didn't think so.

No Problem balancing PvP without touching PvE.
Reply Quote
06/03/2012 13:59Posted by Lathspell
No Problem balancing PvP without touching PvE.

how many skills in WoW do you have that have 0 use in PvE? and how many that have 0 use in PvP?

Blizzard want all the skills to be viable, but PvP demand diffrent skills from PvE

Edit: I just remmberd
how balance is WoW PvP?
Edited by Plintstorm on 06/03/2012 14:12 GMT
Reply Quote
The thing with Blizzard games and their communities: The games are absolutely chock-full of carebears that have been brought in, mostly from WoW.

These people are either afraid or too unskilled to actually try and play against other people in a way that would require one to be better than the other. They would rather leave it up to the stats on their gear and the sequence of buttons they press while they are in a dungeon to try and be better than other players.

This is what we are seeing. These people are scared of PvP becoming a major part of Diablo 3, because they either know they will be bad at it, or they are too scared to fight other people. And because these people mob the forums endlessly, they appear as if they are the majority, but they are simply the ones who are screaming and crying the loudest.
Reply Quote
I think we need a new diagnosis: "PvP-phobia"

I can't really say with certainty that this belongs in here, but I felt it was more appropriate here than anywhere else.

The reason it's not very appropriate is that I am not really a new player. I am level 24 right, and been playing since September last year. Yet I still have a major problem.

I have a crippling fear of playing PvP.

Dominion I can handle, but I almost feel like I am going to black out if I attempt to force myself to play Summoner's Rift, and even Twisted Treeline is a bit of a problem. I've gotten this far by mostly playing bot games.
I think it's partly because of the disgusting attitude much of the playerbase has. I have low self-confidence as it is and the though of possibly getting chewed out by my teammates is highly distressing.

Is there anyone who have felt similarly, but since gotten over it? Or more specifically, is there anyone that can help me with this at all?

Trust me, I know the feeling. I used to only play bots for a very long time, and even then pretty much only play Ashe. My first pvp games were horrible, I got first blood ganked 5v1, kept overextending, turret dove too often etc etc.

Many more honest examples in this thread of LOL. A different game, ofcouse but the same symptoms we see in some players here.
http://eune.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=421020

I hope this helps Plintstorm, Kumori and a few others to know, that they are not the only ones suffering from this condition and that it its actually curable by playing more PvP.

I had a similiar fear of playing new champions: usually you suck badly few first games.
But eventually, there's no other way to get rid of that fear: just play.

I can relate, and as others have already mentioned, there are ways to make it work and enjoy the PvP side of the game. I am a lvl 25 player myself, with around 60 wins now, and I've overcome a similar to yours fear of entering PvP. I just felt too nervous about failing and being flamed. Well, not so much anymore.

I just want to tell you that I used to have the same problem. I thought at the start of the game that I'd always stay in vs AI games because I was worried about my performance in PvP. I made a lot of newbie mistakes, and in particular I'd lose my head in the midst of battle. Some summoner spells and champions I couldn't use because they required reflex to unleash their entire burst in a short time.

I thought I'd wait until Summoner Level 20 to give PvP a try, but I began at around level 16. PvP is not as scary as it seems, once you start playing and realize it's not so bad, the fear will go away.

These are all true story.

But the people I have quoted have the guts to admit their problem. This is very admirable. Do the people with PvP-phobia on this forum have the same quality? I don't know, we might see from their replies.
Edited by Mystikos on 06/03/2012 15:12 GMT
Reply Quote
I hope this helps Plintstorm and Kumori to know, that they are not the only ones suffereing from this condition and that it its curable. By playing more PvP.

Hi
I play Support in LoL
My favorit is Soraka, followed by Sona
I am considering buying Taric
I like Dominion and Summoners rifts

You people really need to stop thinking your oppinion is facts

this is the... third or fourth time someone said "something" about me and I just comes up and disprove them

your oppinions are not facts

oh... one more thing, this is the... sixth time I say this, becouse people can't read:
I don't mind PvP, I will PvP as well, but not mainly and I do not buy D3 for the sole purpose to just PvP, for PvP I buy a PvP game

PS: If you just want to insult people you should do it outright insteed of hidding behind words
Edited by Plintstorm on 06/03/2012 15:11 GMT
Reply Quote
I play Support in LoL

Well this just proves my point, kind sir. There is nothing bad about being support in DoTa -like games, but it is the only role in which your contribution to the game and your playing skill is not judged at all by your K/D ratio (thus PvP stats). A support is actually expected to die to save the carry. Thus less negative feedback from PvP death (the real issue people with PvP phobia are scared about). A support is also expected to give the carry the kill (so low K/D ratio might indicate a good support, but in contrast it would be a very bad carry). Thus the suport is the only role that does not worry about it's K/D stats. The perfect role for people with PvP phobia. Not definite proof, yet good evidence indeed.

I do not buy D3 for the sole purpose to just PvP

And not a single person in the world will. Thank you for stating the obvious, captain.

If you just want to insult people you should do it outright insteed of hidding behind words

I do not want to insult you, I want to help you.
Edited by Mystikos on 06/03/2012 15:24 GMT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]