Diablo® III

Quad core worth it?

90 Human Priest
Hi there
Posted a few times before about upgrading my system, so sorry if this is getting tedious.

I currently run an Intel Core2 Duo e6600 2.4ghz CPU, and i will upgrade but deciding what to.
Since i will only play D3 as the most demanding game i feel no need to spend big bucks on a top gaming system.
I'm getting a 6850 as an upgrade from a 4850 and will upgrade my CPU aswell. I only have a 775 socket mobo atm which makes getting a new i5 or i7 impossible without upgrading my motherboard, but i'm wondering if it is worth getting a Core 2 Quad or just stick with a higher ghz Core 2 Duo - such as a 3.0ghz?

Sorry to waffle, i guess the crux of the question is whether D3 needs a quad core to run well - or would a 3.0ghz dual core suffice?

Many thanks
Reply Quote
yes i think so i got a quad core for 3 4 year now and i could play any game with a nvidia gt 220
Reply Quote
Stick with the dual. Actually i wouldnt be upgrading anything in your case.
Edited by SpaceMonkey on 07/04/2012 09:43 BST
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
07/04/2012 09:42Posted by SpaceMonkey
Stick with the dual. Actually i wouldnt be upgrading anything in your case.

Dual Core 2.4ghz is enough for medium-high settings?
Reply Quote
100 Human Mage
Dual cores are starting to show their age now, and it seems that diablo 3 is a cpu intensive game atm.

For example, when I play beta, its using around 35% of my GPU, the rest is CPU, I have an i5 2500k @ 4.2ghz so it handles it well, but on a dual core you might struggle, unless ofc you turn down the graphics settings, but its so much better with the eye candy on high.

Hopefully blizz will optimise the engine before release so it uses more gpu power and relies less on cpu.
Reply Quote
You can max out graphics settings but only thing you need to lower are the physix (sorry for miss spelling... ) that effect yours cpu but if you want all maxed out ye quad core is the way to go ... i might upgrade my dual core as well to quad.

have dual core 3.2ghz and 560ti amp! gtx card... 1920-1080 resolution no problems only problems are the one mention up .
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
So you would say D3 is more intensive on the CPU as opposed to the graphics card? :(
Reply Quote
85 Gnome Rogue
Dual cpu should be enough for med-highish grafics. im playing battlefield 3 with i3 2100 dual core on medium settings , could go high but my gpu sucks.

Also you shouldnt start upgrading anything , since you would need to also replace motherboard . just play that pc to its grave and then buy new parts & build new
Edited by Vulcanix on 07/04/2012 10:08 BST
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
Dual cpu should be enough for med-highish grafics. im playing battlefield 3 with i3 2100 dual core on medium settings , could go high but my gpu sucks.

Also you shouldnt start upgrading anything , since you would need to also replace motherboard . just play that pc to its grave and then buy new parts & build new

So it's not worth upgrading my Core 2 Duo 2.4ghz, to a 3.0ghz version - would i not see that much difference?
Reply Quote
85 Gnome Rogue

So it's not worth upgrading my Core 2 Duo 2.4ghz, to a 3.0ghz version - would i not see that much difference?
Well it could be a small difirence , depends on how cheap could you get the upgrade.
Reply Quote
put a cheap closed system whater cooler on it and clock it like 20%.
:-)
Reply Quote
i really hope they fix final ver of the game at release that it be more graphic card intensive...
Reply Quote
07/04/2012 09:51Posted by Istari
For example, when I play beta, its using around 35% of my GPU, the rest is CPU, I have an i5 2500k @ 4.2ghz so it handles it well, but on a dual core you might struggle, unless ofc you turn down the graphics settings, but its so much better with the eye candy on high.

Your calculations are wrong.

Zoofie first try to play D3 and then go for a upgrade if needed. I think your cpu will be enough for high.

I just limited D3 to 1 cpu core on my quad and im running 40-60 fps. Maxed settings with antialiasing 1920x1200.
Edited by SpaceMonkey on 07/04/2012 10:52 BST
Reply Quote
100 Human Mage

Zoofie first try to play D3 and then go for a upgrade if needed. I think your cpu will be enough for high.

I just limited D3 to 1 cpu core on my quad and im running 40-60 fps. Maxed settings with antialiasing 1920x1200.

When MSI afterburner tells me I'm only using 25-28% of my GPU's power then the only logical conclusion is that the CPU is doing a lot of the work.

I'm getting 60 fps solid all maxed out with vsync on, but that GPU usage seems far too low to me.
Reply Quote
Just get an i5 2500k.. if ur mobo supports the socket.
- Get a new cooler, oc it to 4.5k (easily done.. i'm running at 4.7k) then you're MORE than set.
Reply Quote
When MSI afterburner tells me I'm only using 25-28% of my GPU's power then the only logical conclusion is that the CPU is doing a lot of the work.

I'm getting 60 fps solid all maxed out with vsync on, but that GPU usage seems far too low to me.

Yeah but there is no work to be done.
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
07/04/2012 10:47Posted by SpaceMonkey

Very good advice, cheers mate!
I will at least get it playable with 2.4ghz and HD 6850, whether it be medium or low. Then after i can decide if it needs upgrading. I will only be playing at 1400x900 also!
Thanks, i've never been so wound up about a game getting released before lol - just can't wait to play it! :P
Reply Quote
It's only worth upgrading if you are planning to take Sandy Bridge (i5 2500k or i7 2600k or i7 2700k). Otherwise you wont see much of a performance boost in games. Definitly not one worth your money.
Edited by Mystikos on 07/04/2012 11:56 BST
Reply Quote

Very little. You should not spend money on upgrades like this.
Reply Quote
Buy a good cooler for the cpu and clock it to 3.0 GHz. Problem solved.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]