Diablo® III

Passive choice is passive.

85 Goblin Shaman
0
Posts: 24
So I played the open beta and after a testdrive of all the characters ive decided to make the demon hunter my second char ( up from 5th :P).
I jump on the skillcalc to figure out a few builds that I may wanna use. Then I came across the passive called "cull the weak" and i realize that it is too much of an "got to have" kinda skill. out of all the builds I did I ended up taking this and a slow.

Since need either something to tank or someway of kiting ergo a slow effect.
And all the demon hunters out there will probably use slow. Cull the weak gives u +15% dmg on targets affected by a slow effect. Thats kind of a big deal and when u pick a slow u will most definetly go for this. All the immobilizers and stuns gets outshined by the 15% a slow provide

"Yeayea thats ur choice if u want dmg or some other passive". But I really think it's not!

If I were to decide, I'd say reduce it to.. 7%. that way its not too tempting but still very usefull. But still boring =/ If I were to make it fun and still in theme with the name culling the herd, lets redo it! culling of the herd: increases your slow effects by 2 seconds and an additional second for every crit made by an offensive ability without a slowing effect

please disprove my statement or explain how this is not mandatory for any Demon Hunter out there and that 15% really isn't that much! :)
Edited by Marmetuss on 26/04/2012 11:03 BST
Reply Quote
Posts: 471
15% extra damage is and then again isn't much in a game series where the highest priority in higher difficulties is making sure you're resilient enough to not get torn apart.

Whether you'll deal 1000 damage or 1150 damage matters little if you are dead. You are trading 15% extra damage for something else you could have possibly had that could have been just as useful - granted there are some pretty crap DH passives out there (Perfectionist, Brooding and Hot Pursuit come to mind).

I'll assume you played Diablo 2, in which case you know full well that there is no "tank" or "healer" in this game. There is no Barbarian that will somehow keep mobs attention off your !@# 24/7, or a Monk that will be your personal nanny healbot. When $%^- hits the fan (and it will), and the ranged mobs and spellcasters start spraying all over the place - it's every man for himself and using whatever tools you have at your disposal to not get blown up. This is the reason why Wizard's "Glass Cannon" passive is actually utter crap (because you are trading something very valuable for not a large gain), and would only look good to someone who strictly played WoW as a raiding mage or a warlock.
Reply Quote
Posts: 1,715
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/demon-hunter#fcXVTR!Yec!YZcbZZ

This build is not resilient enough? If anything, I feel it will be almost indestructible with all the AoE slowing and Evasive Fire on top of Smoke Screen and Preparation heal.

Nearly everything you do will proc Cull the Weak too and this build is mostly complete by the end of Normal mode too with preparation, evasive fire and smoke screen runes being mostly icing on the cake.

It also looks like fun, since you can spam your spenders FTW and not do like 3 multishots and then sit there wondering where did all your hatred go.

As a side note, I am not sure why there are not more builds with Elemental Arrow... it looks really powerful and is as spammable as chakram, while actually hitting things you want to hit and it hits as hard as multishot for 1/4 the cost. Sure, less area, but I don't think you will really need any more than that, seeing how Bone Spike rocked D2.
Edited by Zelas#2388 on 26/04/2012 11:14 BST
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Shaman
0
Posts: 24
Yea ok I take back the tank thing, it was just as extra example anyway :P

But thats what I mean u will need something to keep the mobs from fracking up ur face and why wouldnt u pick a slow when u can get 15% damage increase from it ? when stuns and immobilizes dont have that to offer ? Its just seem to be the better choice.

and its the fact that im saying "better choice" I made this thread. up until now I totally embraced the whole theme of "make w/e u want its what u want that matters builds" but as I ended up taking this in all builds, I saw this as a flaw to the system =/ or is it just me ? :S
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Shaman
0
Posts: 24
same thing with the steady aim passive, only melee DHs wont take it :S I mean 10yards is close. if enemys are that close u will try to move to a better location anyway since u dont wanna be surounded or hit in the face for that mather :P so the passive comes to be a passive choice aswell :(

I wonder how many early patches there will be after release with all the ppl finding stuff like this when more ppl start to give feedback and not make "top dps beta videos" and crap like that :P
Reply Quote
Posts: 471
Slow will not save you. Skills like Shadow Power with Gloom or Smoke Screen, and a decent Discipline regeneration or Night Stalker will.
Edited by RoNin#1416 on 26/04/2012 11:22 BST
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Shaman
0
Posts: 24
slow will not act as a direct saver but It will still help u survive.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/demon-hunter#aRYdlg!TYc!bZaZcY

if I use this for example 2/3 passives is kinda given imo. Sharpshooter is tradable
Reply Quote
Posts: 1,715
same thing with the steady aim passive, only melee DHs wont take it :S I mean 10yards is close. if enemys are that close u will try to move to a better location anyway since u dont wanna be surounded or hit in the face for that mather :P so the passive comes to be a passive choice aswell :(

I wonder how many early patches there will be after release with all the ppl finding stuff like this when more ppl start to give feedback and not make "top dps beta videos" and crap like that :P


Yes, some passives are almost mandatory, really. For example, you need some really wild build that depends on all kinds of weird stuff to not take Archery.

slow will not act as a direct saver but It will still help u survive.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/demon-hunter#aRYdlg!TYc!bZaZcY

if I use this for example 2/3 passives is kinda given imo. Sharpshooter is tradable


I think you missed Archery passive, go see it. It is like twice mandatory than 2 others you have there.
Edited by Zelas#2388 on 26/04/2012 11:53 BST
Reply Quote
Posts: 471
http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/demon-hunter#aRQhgd!YeT!cYaYYb

Is what I'm planning to use. Notice the absolute lack of slows.
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Shaman
0
Posts: 24
Im not saying its impossible to play without slow just that its much more tempting when I can get those 15%.

If I were to play with that build I could use a bow and still get the 15%. But using a bow instead of dual xcross bow would probably drop my attack speed and my scatter arrow wouldnt be as good and I really like the idea of splitting shots.
u see where Im going ?
when I have the option of increaseing my dmg by 15% I take it, since its so easy to make a build around it. I just wish they change it someway, maybe the way i said in OP. that way it would still be a good choice but It wouldnt come as a natural choice cuz I play with slow =/ thats what I mean nothing else.
I dont know about steady aim but that definetly needs a tweak aswell.
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Shaman
0
Posts: 24
26/04/2012 11:51Posted by Gaidax
I think you missed Archery passive, go see it. It is like twice mandatory than 2 others you have there.


well yea it is =/ ok so now all my passives chosen for me :S this keeps getting better :P
Reply Quote
Posts: 863
http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/demon-hunter#aRQhgd!YeT!cYaYYb

Is what I'm planning to use. Notice the absolute lack of slows.

FoK slows. :P
Reply Quote
Posts: 471
I was under the impression the rune removes the slow? Or does it still slow but also add a chance to stun?

I'm also wondering how Assassin's Knives work. It would be extremely awesome if it functioned something similarly to Lashing Tail Kick runed with Hand of Ytar (dunno if you seen that one, it drops a large pillar of light and leaves a handprint on the floor - the skill is long range and targeted).
Edited by RoNin#1416 on 27/04/2012 11:23 BST
Reply Quote
Posts: 863
From my understanding, it adds the 65% stun chance. But in the remaining 35% of the time, it'll still slow. If that is not how it works the rune seems pretty bad tbh.

And yeah Assassin's Knives is intriguing. What do they mean by "5 additional targets"? So, you FoK normally but also hit 5 targets that are far away?
Edited by Ifrit#2782 on 27/04/2012 11:58 BST
Reply Quote
Posts: 471
27/04/2012 11:55Posted by Ifrit
From my understanding, it adds the 65% stun chance. But in the remaining 45% of the time, it'll still slow. If that is not how it works the rune seems pretty bad tbh.


FoK users not only give it their best, when they go all out - they go full 110%. :)
Reply Quote
Posts: 863
Haha, 35% obv. :)
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]