Diablo® III

Darker D3 - response from customer service

I made a ticket to the customerservice:

I have a question regarding a post-processing-filter that has been developed alongside of D3.
It can be found here:http://darkd3.com/
The results can be found here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LcnIIVYSuLM
It should be noted that alot of people are really interested in this feature, and having the more gritty looks.
What is your( Blizzards ) opinion towards this?
Is this a breach of the EULA and will it lead to a ban through Warden?

The answer is here:
Regarding third party software in general, any application which modifies the in-game experience can in theory be considered unauthorized as per the Diablo III Terms of Use.
We also are not able to provide a list of unauthorized software or confirm if any particular application is authorized or not.
There is also always the additional risk that third-party software will include components that do interfere with the game, even if a simple DirectX filter as such does not.
In short, we cannot guarantee that using the filter will not lead to account suspension or closure, and hence recommend against using it.

EDIT:

Due to numerous comment's regarding fine tuning the monitor's hue, saturation etc.

It's not about the color, it's about the sharpness.

Some of us actually get soar eyes, and eventually headaches, because our eyes strain to much on trying to focus on the blurry graphics.

Glasses wont fix it. Laser surgery wont fix it. Blindfolds wont fix it.

However, using the post-processing-filter, originally created by Timothy Lottes from Nvidia
does fix it. It enhances the rendering by using FXAA-injection. A known method used on many games.

http://timothylottes.blogspot.se/2011/03/nvidia-fxaa.html
Edited by Sequenze#2464 on 07/05/2012 16:07 BST
Reply Quote
Can't say I'm surprised.
Using third party software like that is always risky, unless specifically stated to be ok.
Reply Quote
Can't say I'm surprised.
Using third party software like that is always risky, unless specifically stated to be ok.

True, but i think that alot of players would want to use this.
Everybody that i know IRL who are gonna play D3 wants to use this filter.
Reply Quote
Could still be an option in the finished game.

Personally its ok either way.
Reply Quote
Damn, I loved that directx filter and was really looking forward using this...
Reply Quote
Hmm, was also hoping they would go easy on this.

<3 the filter.
Reply Quote
Same here....

but i will be using it nonetheless...
Edited by Sequenze#2464 on 04/05/2012 17:32 BST
Reply Quote
It looks like the same game but with a more pretentious cinematographer in charge of the camera.
Reply Quote
well to me, the message indicates between the lines that as-is the filter most likely will not be banned/attacked... however, this at best, is only the current state, nothing binding can/will be made for the future (or present). simply not possible...

but to me this sounds as "the best answer you can get".

i wont be using btw, (not because of fear etc, i liked the beta as it was, will see how the entire game looks... -> wont be stretching some filter on it :p

however, i am very surprised actually, i wonder, how long did the response take?

anyhows, these are just my thoughts on this
Edited by arf#2185 on 04/05/2012 17:42 BST
Reply Quote
this filter is really simple and in my opinion doesn't even look good, for my taste.
i can fully understand that in general anything that changes the game or experience you have is forbidden by the terms of use. i mean you don't buy a game of such a development level to then modify it, at least i don't. even if it's just minimal visual changes.
if you're not pleased enough with the graphics of this game, sdkfkdslfjghuieadhusadqw i don't know. i love them.
Reply Quote
If on PC, edit
c:\Users\<Your User Name>\Documents\Diablo III\D3Prefs.txt
You will have entries such as
TonemapExposure
TonemapContrast
TonemapSaturation
TonemapGain

to play with.
Reply Quote

however, i am very surprised actually, i wonder, how long did the response take?

I took several days actually. First i got a reply, answering nothing - AT ALL.
So i had to write back, explaining to them that they had simply ignored my question.
It took 5 days (if i remember correctly), before they responded to my second inquiry.
It contained an apology for the delay, and the response i gave in my original post.

Can't blame them for the delay, since it was during the open beta. They probably got thousands of tickets during that time.
Reply Quote
Looks HORRIBLE without the filter to me :c so blurred it's making my eyes bleed...

Can't be for real! Gotta make that an option OR implement it.
Edited by Jinx90#2585 on 04/05/2012 17:56 BST
Reply Quote
this filter is really simple and in my opinion doesn't even look good, for my taste.
i can fully understand that in general anything that changes the game or experience you have is forbidden by the terms of use. i mean you don't buy a game of such a development level to then modify it, at least i don't. even if it's just minimal visual changes.
if you're not pleased enough with the graphics of this game, sdkfkdslfjghuieadhusadqw i don't know. i love them.

Well it's a matter of taste. Personally i just prefer more sharpness, and less saturated effects on my screen. The post-processing-filter does that for me.

I use it for most my games actually... League of Legends aswell. It looks awesome!
Reply Quote
Just don't come crying here if your filter comes with a keylogger included.
Reply Quote
If enough people want it, they are probably going to implant it in a future patch. So just keep it up I guess. (that way it is legalized and people wont have to search for it)
Reply Quote
04/05/2012 17:37Posted by Obyrith
It looks like the same game but with a more pretentious cinematographer in charge of the camera.

This I'd rather not risk it :)
Reply Quote

I took several days actually. First i got a reply, answering nothing - AT ALL.
So i had to write back, explaining to them that they had simply ignored my question.
It took 5 days (if i remember correctly), before they responded to my second inquiry.
It contained an apology for the delay, and the response i gave in my original post.

Can't blame them for the delay, since it was during the open beta. They probably got thousands of tickets during that time.

erm thats very fast ...nice

i wouldnt call that "delayed" :)
Edited by arf#2185 on 04/05/2012 19:17 BST
Reply Quote

erm thats very fast ...nice

i wouldnt call that "delayed" :)

What would you call it then?
Reply Quote
Or just turn down your brightness and saturation on your monitor...
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]