Diablo® III

"Failed to launch a critical file"

90 Night Elf Druid
So after having a great deal of trouble installing the the game and getting the launcher to update.

Everytime i press play it either stays greyed out, or gives me the error "Failed to launch a critical file".

it advises me to run as administrator, and i am.

Similar problems arose with MoP beta appearently, yet i havent got a tab in options named "game Preferences" to open and toggle "launch 32bit"

it only allows me to "reset" it.

Any advice?
Edited by Kaykay#2382 on 14/05/2012 17:33 BST
Reply Quote
86 Night Elf Rogue
Same here ....
Reply Quote
Same here. Stuck at launching for a while, then this error comes out and i haven't been able to play :(
Reply Quote
85 Human Warrior
Same issue happened to me, I've tried almost everything that have been advised, so now Im downloading the game again.. sigh
Reply Quote
Hey Blizz someone help here
whats wrong?
Guyss my antivirus is Bit defender, anyone else?
Bit defender internet security 2011
Reply Quote
I was playing an hour ago. Log off to go get some lunch. Come back and this is happening.

I didn't shutdown my PC and it didn't go to sleep/hibernate.

My A/V hasn't updated and neither has Windows itself.

Nothing else has been run, hell no keys have even been pressed.

What changed? I suspect Agent.exe has been doing things in the background.
Reply Quote
run Diablo 3

Open task manager and end process agent.exe

(i tried playing D3 at this point, and it stalled until i exited, then it promptly closed)

exit Diablo 3

Run Diablo 3, hit play and enjoy.

I got this friendly bit of advice from
http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/1132534-Failed-to-launch-a-critical-file
Reply Quote
I had this same problem and that's how i fixed it. : )
Reply Quote
so we have to do that to play the game.... wow. that's just sad.
Reply Quote
I tried that... but when I restarted Diablo II.. it also restarted agent.exe and same error
Edited by ZoneChaos#1148 on 18/05/2012 16:01 BST
Reply Quote
The only solution I could find for that is this, run the launcher, after it says it is up to date, open task manager and finish explorer.exe then click on play, after you log on diablo 3 you can run explorer.exe again, only solutio for me =(
but i can play kkkk
Reply Quote
BUMP

So I am having this issue tonight, same as you folks 3-5 days ago, however after going into:
Computer>Local Disk> Program Data> Battle.net> Agent> AGENT.976>Logs I find a page of listings of recorded info, I have already screenshoted them, and saved the logs to a different HDD, if I find Blizzard actually collecting data, I am going to contact a lawyer for litigation, there's no reason at all that blizzard needs to be logging our personal data.
Reply Quote
I tried deleting the agent and running/ not running as administrator and nothing worked. The thing that did work however was a simple troubleshoot compatibility..never before had that helped me but for once i am happy to have it. For the less advanced people out there, right click the icon and click "Troubleshoot compatibility". It runs it in windows xp service pack 2 and i saved settings and it all works fine again. Hope this helps someone.
Reply Quote
right click diablo 3 launcher > properties > Compatability > then select Run this program in compatability for "Windows XP ( Service Pack 3 ) and Also tick Run as Admin!

if that doesnt work, CTRL + ALT + DEL > Processes > Find Agent32.exe (if its not there open the diablo launcher then close it shud appear) Right click it > Properties > Compatability > Run as admin! Should work!
Reply Quote
31/05/2012 22:11Posted by ShadowBeast
I tried deleting the agent and running/ not running as administrator and nothing worked. The thing that did work however was a simple troubleshoot compatibility..never before had that helped me but for once i am happy to have it. For the less advanced people out there, right click the icon and click "Troubleshoot compatibility". It runs it in windows xp service pack 2 and i saved settings and it all works fine again. Hope this helps someone.

Works perfectly!
Edited by QS10#2272 on 02/06/2012 19:43 BST
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
This worked perfectly for me too.

I didnt have the SP3 option, only the Sp2 compatibility but it worked after trying everything else including a complete reinstall. !!

Tks
Edited by Pashead#2893 on 04/06/2012 20:08 BST
Reply Quote
ive been working on this for about 3 hours. and frankly about to just give up on the game.

ive tried disabling anti-virus, running as admin, and simply reinstalling the game.
ive also tried changing compatibility, where you guys come to my first question

What needs to have compatibility changed and to what. ive tried XPSP2, XPSP3, Win7
i changed the compatibility of the launcher through the desktop by right clicking it
i changed the compatibility of agent.exe through the task manager

Ive also run as admin on those combos as well.

2pm today i was playing just fine
now its all screwed up.

Submitted a ticket and crossing my fingers but input from you guys would surely help.
Reply Quote
I had bit defender too, and I unistalled it and now it gives me that error..
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
1. Start launcher as Administrator.
2. Hit ctr, alt, delete, go to process tab and close Agent.exe *32
3. Press play. Pressing play starts Agent.exe again becose I think that seems to be the critical file somehow that fails to launch (cos its already running! *Doh!*) However, its not needed to close again since your game is fine with it one that it starts after you closed the other.
4. Enjoy your game, if this works for you too. Running Win 7 64-bit and this worked for me.
Edited by WowCorner#2291 on 29/07/2012 02:03 BST
Reply Quote
KEEP TELLING ME FILE MIGHT BE CURUPT CANT PLAY INT TO 69% AND GOT FILLEN LOG IN????
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]