Diablo® III

Preload, Setup and Install Issues - Solutions & Answers

*** Note: The issues in this post are chiefly about the pre-loaded installer files and downloading the installation files. If you have trouble during installation (when Cain recaps the events of D1 and D2), please refer to the Technical Support forum. If you get the Error 108, please see this thread: http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/4008341699 and for the Disk Ejection error, see here: http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/4008361448?page=6#113 ***

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. Getting the "unauthorized download" error

Possible solution: You're most likely using the previous downloader which is no longer valid. You can get the newest version from the links in this post: http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/4008460883

Note that some browsers cache downloaded files, which means that your browser may simply detect the original file (which is also named Diablo-III-8370-enGB-Installer-downloader.exe) and tell you the download is complete without actually downloading the new file. If this happens to you, delete the original downloader (shift+delete or clear the recycle bin afterwards), and clear your browser's cache. Instructions: http://www.refreshyourcache.com/en/home/

Then attempt to download the new updated downloader again and verify that it has been 'changed' after 12th May in the file properties window (right-click on Diablo-III-8370-enGB-Installer-downloader.exe in your download folder, choose "Properties"; you can also go to the "Digital Signatures" tab to check that it says May 12 under "Timestamp"). (added by MaxTheDragon)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2. Trying to run Setup.exe and nothing happens

Possible solution taken from http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/4903950606
(thanks to TheCutter!): If you try running the Diablo III Setup.exe file and nothing appears to be happening, check to see if the Windows Service for Secondary Logon is enabled. The game requires it and will not run if it's disabled. To check, open Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Services and scroll down to the Secondary Logon service. Right click it and select properties. Make sure the Startup Type is NOT set to Disabled. Any other setting is ok. This service being disabled may also cause the system to appear to hang during the "Updating Setup Files" portion when run.

3. Setup hangs at "updating the setup files" and doesn't continue

Possible solution: This may take a while, so it's important to be patient and wait a bit. If the progress bar hangs at about 60%, a probable fix is to delete this folder: C:\ProgramData\Battle.net. Before you do this, ensure that the setup program has sufficient privileges to write files into that location (run it as administrator). Also see the possible solution for #2 above. How to show hidden files: Go to your Windows Control Panel and select "Folder Options". Here, switch to the "View" tab and select "Show hidden files, folders, and drives".

An alternative solution, if the above doesn't work (try it first), is to tweak your Windows Firewall. Here are the steps:

• Go to Control Panel -> All Control Panel Items -> Windows Firewall and select "Advanced Settings".
  • Select "Inbound Rules" and click on "New Rule..." (upper right)
  • Choose "Program", then browse for "Diablo 3 Setup.exe" and select it
  • Go to the next screen and select "Allow the connection"
  • UNcheck "Domain" and "Public"
  • Pick a name for the rule, e.g. "Diablo 3 Setup Extra Rule" and click "finish".

4. The downloader stops at 100% or before

Possible solution: This is tricky and may have a number of causes. Some posters reported that if they waited long enough at 100%, the downloader eventually finished. It's a good idea to be patient and just ignore it for an hour. Do NOT cancel it too soon if it is at 100%, as you may end up with .part files which later cause other errors ("108").

If the download stops before 100% and there is no download activity, and you have waited, ensure that peer-to-peer is enabled (in the downloader's options). If you run any third party firewall software or things like Peer Blocker, disbale those. It is safe to close the downloader and restart it. The download should resume where it stopped, but don't interrupt it when it says "initializing" or "checking". Doing so may cause it to start from zero.

An alternative possible solution is the opposite of the above: turning off peer-to-peer. MaxTheDragon wrote: Start the downloader, pick the parent directory, and then immediately go to View > Preferences, and uncheck the Peer to Peer transfer. Restart the downloader.

5. Downloaded the preload previously and now it starts from scratch instead of getting the ~60 MB update

Possible solution: Make sure that you do not select the folder "Diablo-III-8370-enGB-Installer" as target, but the one above. For example, if your preload is in d:\downloads\Diablo-III-8370-enGB-Installer, select d:\downloads as the target. Otherwise you will nest the folders and end up with something like d:\downloads\Diablo-III-8370-enGB-Installer\Diablo-III-8370-enGB-Installer. Also give it time to check the files, do not cancel during checking or initializing.

6. How big should the correctly downloaded preload folder be?

Answer: When you right-click on the Diablo-III-8370-enGB-Installer folder and select "Properties", you should see 7.60 GB (8,162,932,728 bytes) next to "size", and 7.60 GB (8,162,967,552 bytes) next to "size on disk". If it's very different, you should re-run the downloader (from the stickied post) and let it check the files again. If you had previously loaded the files and had to update the data today, you can also check if the files: Installer Tome 1.MPQE and Installer Tome 2.MPQE have today's date (today = when you ran the downloader).

If your Diablo-III-8370-enGB-Installer folder is substantially bigger than the above listed sizes, check if there are any files in there that end in ".part". If so, remove them from the folder and check the size again.

7. The size is the same as before the download of the ~60 MB update/fix

Answer: This is normal. The folder size doesn't change and the ~60 MB update only replaces previous data, and is not added on top of what you already have.

8. How can I verify my files are correct and up-to-date?

Answer (by MaxTheDragon): The downloader comes with a file verification system. It's the system that checks your files without downloading them if you choose the correct directory (parent directory of the install directory, see the answer #5 above). You can use this afterwards to check your file integrity:
  • Verify your installation directory matches the following: 7.60 GB (8,162,932,728 bytes). If not, your files may be corrupt or incomplete.
  • Run the downloader as Administrator (right-click and choose "Run as Administrator").
  • Choose the parent directory of the installation directory. It'll now detect the files correctly.
  • It'll check the whole 7.60 GB.
  • It'll not download anything and close the downloader and start the installer.

If it does the above for you, your files are okay!

9. Getting the License Agreement when pressing "Install", then decryption error

Answer: This should no longer happen since the installation is now possible. If you still do get this error, check the Technical Support forum.

10. Upgrading from Standard Edition to Collector's Edition doesn't work.

Answer: If you have purchased a Digital Edition from Blizzard and wish to upgrade it to a Collector's Edition (if you have one), go to your Account Management and select "Add Game". After entering the key, the system will ask you if you wish to upgrade. Note that this does not yet work for the Annual Pass versions. On information how to get four free WoW months (AP) or a standard key (only applicable to non-AP versions), see this post: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/4175421603?page=2#24 (Update: Customer Support mentioned that they can't issue a new key before the 15th.)

Edited by Mivo#2900 on 14/05/2012 20:59 BST
Reply Quote
Good. :) Tho I have no problems at all
Reply Quote
STICKY!STICKY!STICKY!STICKY!STICKY!STICKY!STICKY!STICKY!STICKY!STICKY!STICKY!STICKY!STICKY!STICKY!STICKY!STICKY!STICKY!STICKY!STICKY!STICKY!STICKY!STICKY!STICKY!STICKY!

Also, add this to the list:

(STICKY LOCKED) DIABLO III SETUP.EXE - NOTHING HAPPENS
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/4903950606
If you try running the Diablo III Setup.exe file and nothing appears to be happening, check to see if the Windows Service for Secondary Logon is enabled. The game requires it and will not run if it's disabled.

To check, open Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Services and scroll down to the Secondary Logon service. Right click it and select properties. Make sure the Startup Type is NOT set to Disabled. Any other setting is ok.

This service being disabled may also cause the system to appear to hang during the "Updating Setup Files" portion when run.
Edited by Sagi#2248 on 13/05/2012 01:40 BST
Reply Quote
13/05/2012 01:36Posted by TheCutter
Also, add this to the list:

Thank you! :) I added it to the list.
Reply Quote
While you're at it...

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/4887789564
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/4903441037
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/4904620655
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/4904340631

I would suggest to add only the first one as text and the rest as titles and links.
Reply Quote
Will add those after a coffee. :) Also just extended the info on the SE replacement key (CS can't create them before the 15th).
Reply Quote
at first i chose the same folder and it created another enGB-downloader folder within the original downloaded one..i cancel and deleted the new created one ...then chose the upper folder and it saw the 7.60 and downloaded/replaced a small part for 1-1.5 min and then i checked the Tomes .

Tome 1.MPQE and Installer Tome 2.MPQE

when i click its properties it has :

Created: 4 April
CHANGED/REPLACED : 13 May, -today-

and the 14 fles 4 folders are there...the 7.60Gig (yes the exact bte number is also correct)

now when i run setup - i get the old diablo 3 has not launched yet message ..

i am good to go right ?
i mean deleting the new created one should not bug anything right ?
Reply Quote
Sounds like everything went perfectly well the second time, Laedywen. :) You should definitely be fine!
Reply Quote
ok thanks :)

maxthedragon gave a suggestion to double-check..

run the downloader again - choose the parent file again - it will scan WHOLE 7.60 Gig and then wont download anything and directly goes for setup.exe
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Excellent thread! +1 and sticky requested! Let me make a few useful additions:

Under "Getting the "unauthorized download" error", add this:

Bear in mind some browser may cache downloaded files, which means that your browser may simply detect the original file(name) and tell you the download is complete without actually downloading the new file. If this happens to you, delete the original downloader (shift+delete or just clear the recycle bin afterwards), and clear your browser's cache. Google this for your browser if you don't know how to do that. Afterwards, attempt to download the new updated downloader again, and verify that it has been 'changed' after 12th May in the file properties window (right-click file, then choose Properties).

New section: "How can I verify my files are correct and up-to-date?":

The downloader comes with a cool file verification system. It's the system that checks your files without downloading them if you choose the correct directory (parent directory of the install directory). You can use this afterwards to check your file integrity:

1) Verify your installation directory matches the following: 7.60 GB (8,162,932,728 bytes). If not your files are corrupt or incomplete.
2) Run the downloader as Administrator (right-click and choose Run as Administrator).
3) Choose the parent directory of the installation directory. It'll now detect the files correctly.
4) It'll check the whole 7.60 GB.
5) It'll not download anything and close the downloader and start the installer.

If it does the above for you, your files are ok!
Edited by MaxTheDragon#2105 on 13/05/2012 11:51 BST
Reply Quote
Added both, thank you. :) (The forum doesn't allow two line breaks in a row -- think I may add some "----" lines for easier readability.)

Added the "-----" lines to break this up some; think it's better structured that way and easier to read.

By the way, do we have a definite answer on the US client? Will it work before midnight PST? This seems to come up a lot, but I don't know for sure whether it'll work for people at European midnight or not.
Edited by Mivo#2900 on 13/05/2012 12:11 BST
Reply Quote
90 Orc Hunter
I still have problem with "download is not authorized". I have deleted everything that is related to diablo 3. Still can't download it.... I'm so frustrated right now.
Reply Quote
13/05/2012 12:20Posted by Lacuni
I still have problem with "download is not authorized". I have deleted everything that is related to diablo 3. Still can't download it.... I'm so frustrated right now.

Hmm. Are you totally sure you deleted "Diablo-III-8370-enGB-Installer-downloader.exe" from your download folder? The file date should be May 12 10am GMT or later. It's possible that your browser has cached the file, as Max explained. Which browser are you using?
Reply Quote
85 Troll Druid
good work mate. nice post.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
This is really useful! Thanks for taking the effort to post this :p.

Adding to the sticky requests! +1 more here!

It's nearly Diablotime. Hmmmm.
Reply Quote
I expanded the "unauthorized download" bit a little more, since it seems that a lot of browsers don't download the new file (as it has the exact same length and name).
Reply Quote
''The downloader stops at 100% or before''

i got the tricky one as usual, waited 3 h downloaded 3 times turned off everything now im scared,angry and frustrated.
Reply Quote
'i got the tricky one as usual, waited 3 h downloaded 3 times turned off everything now im scared,angry and frustrated.

There hasn't been a clear, universal solution for that problem that I know of, unfortunately, but ... there is something else that might help and that I didn't include in the possible solution: If you want to experiment a little, please try and delete the C:\ProgramData\Battle.net folder, and see if that fixes the problem for you. Failing that, and this is more experimental, you could try to delete C:\ProgramData\Blizzard Entertainment\Battle.net as well.

Consider making a backup of the data you've already downloaded (in the Diablo-III-8370-enGB-Installer folder in your download location), which may prevent you from having to download everything again.

Edit: And definitely run the installer as administrator (right-click on the installer and select "Run as Administrator").
Edited by Mivo#2900 on 13/05/2012 16:20 BST
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
For "The downloader stops at 100% or before" issue you could also try this:

Start the downloader, pick the parent directory, and then immediately go to View > Preferences, and uncheck the Peer to Peer transfer. Perhaps this will force the downloader to get the remaining data from the Blizzard servers instead of other peers. I believe the downloader throttles the download off the servers all the way down when there are open connections to peers. If those peers don't upload anything, you're basically stuck. So try this solution and see if it helps.
Reply Quote
hey ..
i got another problem ... i downloaded the installer (enGB) but when i run the setup i dont see the "fire from sky" message - i get the message:

An error occured while writing on your hard drive. Please make sure your hard drive is not full and try again.

Error code: BLZPTS00009

i have 3 hard drives (4 partitions) and i have 15GB+ free on every partition - except my root dir ( C: only 9GB ). (didnt find enough stuff to move to free some space without !@#$ing up my system)
using winXP sp3
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]