Diablo® III

Server problems? Guys, lets cut Blizzard some slack!

GUYS! First off... I completely agree with your frustrations and concerns of the game not letting us get online easily and stay connected, etc. I was there last night too - yelling at my screen. But I thought about it, and I realised... it is hard on Blizzard, and it's not surprising that the servers are acting this way. There are some things that made me think this, and think that we're slightly too hard on Blizzard, and they are:

• Blizzard warned us about this happening, they told us clearly to expect to keep relogging and they will slowly allow people on. And they did, loads of us got on slowly, others had to wait. We were warned.
  • Blizz actually would have been heroes to allow this launch to go smooth, but I thought carefully and realised it would be a huge waste of effort and cost. I've done server and internet studies, so I know how much work they'd have to put in to support this huge fanbase on release day effortlessly. But then it would be only useful for a few days, after the extra server "support" and infrastructure would be useless for the rest of D3's history... when they could spend all this money on proper server structure and gameplay and such. It just made me think how it would have been a bit silly to make a decision to spend loads of effort, money, and infrastructure to make it work for RELEASE DAY ONLY. This cost/effort has gone elsewhere, and I'm actually thankful for it, as this log in problem will pass, however an over worse product won't.
  • There's just too much of us - look at Call of Duty Elite online service and loads of other MMOs and such, they all had problems on launch day. It's an INSULT if there isn't- it probably means you don't have enough hype and fans. BUT LOOK AT US GUYS! We're blizzard fan boys and there are soooo many of us, plus they have set up so many ways for us to be ready when servers go live, that everyone was prepared - which bring me to the next point:
  • Everyone that was waiting for D3 launch is logging in at the same time. Again like point 1, there will be in no way, that there will be another day, where thousands and thousands of people are going to log in at one particular time - it would be silly to spend loads just to improve servers and stability for this one instance. Again, I'm really glad they spend the time and cost on other things, otherwise we would probably have had a later release date, which would make it worse than waiting for servers to fix completely now.
  • I think people that have given Diablo 3 below a 4/10 on Metacritic are ridiculous - I've skimmed through most and they are 99% because servers aren't letting them in and isn't stable, or that "D3 is an online and why can't I play offline see what's happening to servers". WTF? The point of a review is what the game is like, ONCE YOU FINISHED IT OR PLAYED A GREAT PORTION OF IT. How can you score it based on not getting into the game at all?! We are being too mean to blizzard, and I feel kind of bad now

Still, overall, I'm pissed at Blizzard and they should have done more, but like I said, it was expected, they warned us, it would have been too costly for a one-time thing to stabilize servers for release day, and we are being a bit too harsh.

After all, we know we are blizzard's fans and we are in huge numbers that blizzard can't imagine - it'd be stupid if they could easily contain us with such a massive game launch after this many years of anticipation.

- DarkPhoton
Reply Quote
NO.

Its not an MMO. I should be able to play. Simple as that in my opinion.
Reply Quote
Thing is it's possible to let us all be happy on release day, with my thoughts and discussing with my peers in Internet and Web Technology students in my masters course on Computer Science. It is possible, but the cost and effort and maintenance would be incredible - they wrote down the database infrastructure and estimates and I discussed with them, and no matter what the estimates are over-the top.

Well it's possible cuz Blizzard has the money and time, but come on. They shouldn't need to do all this and spend all the money for this single release day - there will be no other time that this expensive server structure is needed after release day when everyone is logging in at the same time.

Like I said, I'm happy they used the cost and supplies elsewhere, other than on making us people happy on RELEASE DAY. I'll fight about it now (and I have, and I'm still annoyed), but later when this is forgotten soon IT WONT MATTER ANYMORE.

What will matter is the quality and server structure on stablizing the game, not on stabilizing the instant overloaded number of people trying to log in at the same time.

Plus they warned us after beta stress tests - meaning they know how much effort and cost it would have been to give us a smooth launch, and it would require a later release day, much more cost, more servers, yada yada, just for release day - ONE DAY out of D3's probably long future.
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
You seem to have missed the point.

This is not an MMO - the excuses for typical MMO launch don't cut it.

If you can't handle the capacity, for a game people have paid for (either via AP, or direct purchase) then you've failed as a company.
Reply Quote
Exactly - this is not a MMO, and they knew what would happen. No excuse for this level of disruption.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Paladin
No server problems

Its faulty american problem
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Warlock
I paid money for a service., The service is lacking. I am understandably upset.
Reply Quote
Get your tongue out of their behind and appreciate that they are selling something that does not work on the day they said it would.

Gorram apologists......
Reply Quote
NO.

Its not an MMO. I should be able to play. Simple as that in my opinion.

To this, they had their reasons which they explained -

* If you made a character and leveled it up having fun on single player, you won't be able to play with anyone with that character, show them your items, use the AH, buy and trade this character good gear (which Diablo 3 is about : loot and trading), etc.

* Security - if everyone was allowed to make an offline character and bring it online, there will be modders and hackers easily changing stats and creating items, duping items to sell loads on the AH, ruining everyone's fun. And when PvP is released, it will be even more unbalanced due to duping and such. Most players will have great gear cuz the Auction House will be flooded with duped items selling cheaply.

* Easily jump in with friends - with a character online you can have a full single-player experience quitely with nobody joining, and the SECOND you decide on having friends joined you can log out and add them to party, and join. Unlike D2 you don't have to make a new character on BAttle.net, then level up with your friends there. Just add to party, then go.

The complaints you have only apply NOW, but you will thank them for making it online. It's not an MMO for god sakes, they just want the game online for the reasons stated above, not to make it an MMO.
Reply Quote
You seem to have missed the point.

This is not an MMO - the excuses for typical MMO launch don't cut it.

If you can't handle the capacity, for a game people have paid for (either via AP, or direct purchase) then you've failed as a company.

Cant emphasise this enough. They knew exactly how many people bought the game, and pre-ordered it, not unreasonable to expect every single person who bought it to want to play it on release. Therefore servers should have been able to handle that number.

Another thing is the open beta stress test, remind me wtf the point in that was? That demonstrated their servers were trash and they obviously chose not to act on that and have been totally and utterly exposed as a result.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Death Knight
no cutting, blizz buy servers, dont be noobs
they can use one for warcraft, plenty of dead relms that need merging.
Reply Quote
Actually, I dont remember any of that being in the store page I bought it from....

And this is Bliz's fault for requiring online DRM for the single player game. They made the decision to include this, they should have been able to cope.

Its incompetence and blatant contempt of their customer base.
Reply Quote
15/05/2012 20:05Posted by Hjolmar
I paid money for a service., The service is lacking. I am understandably upset.

This.
Reply Quote
can i get a auth into the game with my updated battle tag? maby when they stop using my grandpar's old 486 dx2 66 as the auth server
Edited by lockcole#2694 on 15/05/2012 20:09 BST
Reply Quote
I'm not really raging because I haven't been able to play so far.

But I don't get the defense.

Even if we like their games we don't owe them anything (patience among other things). If anything it is the other way around because we're the paying customer. They can warn us as much as they want but at the end of the day the customer will expect their product to work when they want it to.

Let the people vent if they want to.
Edited by LostViking#2338 on 15/05/2012 20:09 BST
Reply Quote
What do they expect will happen the people who are trying to get on every day will just give up and stop trying to play? At best the numbers will go down after a few months. What are we supposed to do not being able to use the product we paid for ? This is beyond rediculous they had a stress test they had pre order numbers , they had all the time they needed to prepare this is just unacceptable. If id known i wouldnt have bothered to pre load a digital version to get into game " early " everyone of my friends is laughing at me for an idiot that i am because of this.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Death Knight
GUYS! First off... I completely agree with your frustrations and concerns of the game not letting us get online easily and stay connected, etc. I was there last night too - yelling at my screen. But I thought about it, and I realised... it is hard on Blizzard, and it's not surprising that the servers are acting this way. There are some things that made me think this, and think that we're slightly too hard on Blizzard, and they are:

• Blizzard warned us about this happening, they told us clearly to expect to keep relogging and they will slowly allow people on. And they did, loads of us got on slowly, others had to wait. We were warned.
  • Blizz actually would have been heroes to allow this launch to go smooth, but I thought carefully and realised it would be a huge waste of effort and cost. I've done server and internet studies, so I know how much work they'd have to put in to support this huge fanbase on release day effortlessly. But then it would be only useful for a few days, after the extra server "support" and infrastructure would be useless for the rest of D3's history... when they could spend all this money on proper server structure and gameplay and such. It just made me think how it would have been a bit silly to make a decision to spend loads of effort, money, and infrastructure to make it work for RELEASE DAY ONLY. This cost/effort has gone elsewhere, and I'm actually thankful for it, as this log in problem will pass, however an over worse product won't.
  • There's just too much of us - look at Call of Duty Elite online service and loads of other MMOs and such, they all had problems on launch day. It's an INSULT if there isn't- it probably means you don't have enough hype and fans. BUT LOOK AT US GUYS! We're blizzard fan boys and there are soooo many of us, plus they have set up so many ways for us to be ready when servers go live, that everyone was prepared - which bring me to the next point:
  • Everyone that was waiting for D3 launch is logging in at the same time. Again like point 1, there will be in no way, that there will be another day, where thousands and thousands of people are going to log in at one particular time - it would be silly to spend loads just to improve servers and stability for this one instance. Again, I'm really glad they spend the time and cost on other things, otherwise we would probably have had a later release date, which would make it worse than waiting for servers to fix completely now.
  • I think people that have given Diablo 3 below a 4/10 on Metacritic are ridiculous - I've skimmed through most and they are 99% because servers aren't letting them in and isn't stable, or that "D3 is an online and why can't I play offline see what's happening to servers". WTF? The point of a review is what the game is like, ONCE YOU FINISHED IT OR PLAYED A GREAT PORTION OF IT. How can you score it based on not getting into the game at all?! We are being too mean to blizzard, and I feel kind of bad now

Still, overall, I'm pissed at Blizzard and they should have done more, but like I said, it was expected, they warned us, it would have been too costly for a one-time thing to stabilize servers for release day, and we are being a bit too harsh.

After all, we know we are blizzard's fans and we are in huge numbers that blizzard can't imagine - it'd be stupid if they could easily contain us with such a massive game launch after this many years of anticipation.

- DarkPhoton

Nah, not this time,

Asia servers work

American servers work

EU servers dont

They are quite frankly taking the piss.
Reply Quote
Lol do you understand how rich Blizzard is? With the money they have they should be able to get all the equipment, servers and whatever that is needed to provide stable experience.
Reply Quote
Blizz just needed more login servers for each region/ISP IP range etc etc etc.

They have the money for it.

Blizzard absolutely took the biscuit as well by releasing the installer 2 months before the release!!! I saw that and thought it would be out in about a week but no, 2 months.

Then when it finally launches you need another 2 months to log in!
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
while i agree that they this is only an inital thing and not something to get worked up about, your comments about reviews are a little odd.

imagine you went to a restaurant, and it took the chefs six hours to bring you your food with no explanation for the delay, but the food ended up being nice. would you tell your friends it's a good place to eat, or would you focus on the bad?
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]