Diablo® III

how to make game start in windowed mode?

12 Night Elf Mage
ive had a problem on just this pc that wow and now diablo wont recognise my mouse while maximised.

in wow its easy i just change to windowed mode from launcher

how do i do this in diablo
Reply Quote
Customer Service
Hello,

You can do this in your Documents library, then the Diablo III folder, then open the D3Prefs.txt file with a text editor.

Find this line, and alter it to read as follows:
DisplayModeWindowMode "1"

Save and exit the file, and launch the game.
Reply Quote
12 Night Elf Mage
where within the d3 file is this... ive checked all the program files and even ran a search but i cant find it

** In fact ive searched whole hard disk and not found it
Edited by Taedrya#2931 on 15/05/2012 01:33 BST
Reply Quote
C:\Users\[account name]\Documents\Diablo III

on my computer.
Reply Quote
Guys,
one question: I understand this seems to make the game always start in window-mode - but how can I get it to do it only when I want?
(like in D2, you alter the short-cut, so you create 2 short-cuts - one for window, and a normal one)
I'd like to start in window-mode on certain occasions, and the rest of the time in full screen mode..
Reply Quote
Guys,
one question: I understand this seems to make the game always start in window-mode - but how can I get it to do it only when I want?
(like in D2, you alter the short-cut, so you create 2 short-cuts - one for window, and a normal one)
I'd like to start in window-mode on certain occasions, and the rest of the time in full screen mode..

simplest way is to have 2 copies of diablo 3 for you then one with normal mode and one with windowed mode so make an coppy of you diablo 3 folder then

anyway i would change beteween the settings when iever i feelt like it in settings inside game if i where you !
Reply Quote
Thanks dude, but 2 installed copies of a 7GB+ game just for a setting? that's nuts!
Plus, going into the game to do it is what I wanted to avoid - like in D2..

Anyway, I just checked and it seems a non Blizzard site has the info!
The same thing works in d3 as in d2:

http://diablo3dev.com/w/Command_Line_Options

So I simply use: "Diablo III.exe" -w -launch

Note that the game remembers the last mode, even when ran from a shortcut/command line, so you will need to launch from 2 shortcuts if you want to alternate between windowed mode (or just change the setting in the game).
Reply Quote
You can't change that, I already called blizzard up via the 1-800 number.
they said if i change anything in that text file, and save it , even with notepad, that the servers could detect it, and that you will get banned.
Reply Quote
View profile
You can't change that, I already called blizzard up via the 1-800 number.
they said if i change anything in that text file, and save it , even with notepad, that the servers could detect it, and that you will get banned.

The D3PREFS.TXT file is a plain text file recording the options you've picked from the Diablo III game interface. Editing it in Notepad in no way enables you to get results that would not be selectable from within the game. I'd frankly be amazed if altering this file (especially as per the instruction of a Blizzard forum moderator) would be cause for the Warden to take notice as the whole point of the preferences file is that it is not static, it's intended to be changeable.

Why would blue posters advise you to do something that would cause you to be banned?
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]