Diablo® III

vsync not stable @60 fps (nvidia)

90 Undead Mage
Same issue, it goes from 60 to 59 very quickly then drops to 30... wierd.

The slight fluctuations in the average FPS are to be expected. The large drop to 30 is a biproduct of how vsync works. If your card can't keep up it no longer has the option to draw at 55 frames per second, a 60Hz refresh rate means that it will drop down to 30fps.

RefreshRate/NumberOfIntervalsToRender = frames per second
Which provides you with a discreet set of values
presuming a 60Hz refresh rate that's 60, 30, 20
60/1 = 60
60/2 = 30
60/3 = 20
and so on

As far as I know this statement is not valid if Triple Buffering is used (using e.g. D3DOverrider). I've monitored 10mins of gameplay using MSI Afterburner and my FPS is very unstable (pending between 55-60) but never ever drops to 30 like you say. I got a GTX680, a i7 920 @ 3,8GHz and 12GB 1333MHz RAM. (Vsync obviously enabled)

I've heard that the FPS stuttering/jitter is due to bad streaming of data from the Blizzard servers which is either due to overloaded servers (I got 250+ ping) or something else. But I have no proof of this.
Edited by Astralen#2142 on 21/05/2012 19:03 BST
Reply Quote
- World of Warcraft
View profile
21/05/2012 19:02Posted by Astralen

The slight fluctuations in the average FPS are to be expected. The large drop to 30 is a biproduct of how vsync works. If your card can't keep up it no longer has the option to draw at 55 frames per second, a 60Hz refresh rate means that it will drop down to 30fps.

60/1 = 60
60/2 = 30
60/3 = 20
and so on

As far as I know this statement is not valid if Triple Buffering is used (using e.g. D3DOverrider).
<snip>

Correct, triple buffering means the card can keep doing work whilst waiting for the vsync interval. But Diablo III does not have any obvious way to enable it.
Reply Quote
shameless bumping as it isnt fixed yet

using 3rd party tools to keep fps stable at 60 is working but still doesnt solve the problem with tearing completely, seems to be a streaming issue ?
Reply Quote
Same problem I'm having, so shamelessly bumping it too. The frames fluctuate like there's no tomorrow.

I'd get if they dropped below 60 with vsync on (meaning the card/cpu can't handle the game) but then why do they also go to 100+? Makes no sense with vsync on.
Reply Quote
EXACTLY my problem...

Someplaces I've 430 fps with Vsync Off, and the lowest I've seen is 140 in A4 Silverspire with a 4m group (I've sharpening tools, and extra AA enabled from the Nvidia control panel) I've been testing with and without the extra setting and no sharpening tools, yet... it's the exact same problem...

I can run around, kill 100 mobs at once, it won't drop.. then i walk two meters, and boom, 55-56.. and instantly back up to 60.. but grants a spike... :c

Sometimes it flicker bout' 60-59.. but that doesn't bother me, as I can't tell the diff.. but those 58-57-56-55 spikes, I do certainly feel... and it's so F'ing annoying!
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Mage
BSC
I have SLI GTX 570, so I suppose I fall into the category blizzard does not support, but I digress.

I also had serious fpt stability issues when using Vsync. it jumped all over the place constantly. After I turned it off however I have a solid 111fps. (Why 111 I don't really know since my monitor is 120Hz (suppose I could find out if I wished), but it's a damn sight better than the mess I experienced with Vsync on).
Reply Quote
/sign

signing for both problems - the stuttering (that literally everyone's been talking about on the forums), and OP's problem

I too have a 570 with the new 301 drivers, and have the same vsync experience.

I'm still waiting on blizz to work on some graphical fixes for the stuttering though, an issue that seems to be widespread and unresolved.
Reply Quote
Same issue for me to guys. GTX 570, 60fps, 42" LCD. Best way I can make it is turn nvidia vysnc on APP, Set 3dOverrider to on, triple buffering on, and set the Diablo 3 settings to Vsync on. But it still is messedup. If Blizzard was intelligent they would of made a WOW 2 and ditched diablo... but yet it's blizzard. They need to fix this game ASAP before they lose their reputation and everyone thinks Blizzard just plain sucks and outdated.
Reply Quote
And don't let blizzard lie to you, It has nothing to do with Lag or connection issues or anything along those lines. It has to do with certain GPU's and their graphics system. They need to fix it NOW!
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Rogue
GTX 570 here...set at 60fps foreground and background...it's staying stable at 50fps...no idea why its stuck at 50 but at least its stable...if I up it to 70 it starts jumping between 69-70 though

PS: with and without Vsync enabled

It seems that one cannot simply set any desired framerate. When I've set the slider to 60fps, I also had 50fps, but when I've moved it to 66, I obtained 60fps. I don't know why, but the fps slider isn't accurate.
Vsync is also problematic....sometimes I get 30fps on 60Hz in fullscreen.

(ATI HD 4770 here, usually playing 720p maxed with vsync)
Reply Quote
- World of Warcraft
View profile
GTX 570 here...set at 60fps foreground and background...it's staying stable at 50fps...no idea why its stuck at 50 but at least its stable...if I up it to 70 it starts jumping between 69-70 though

PS: with and without Vsync enabled

It seems that one cannot simply set any desired framerate. When I've set the slider to 60fps, I also had 50fps, but when I've moved it to 66, I obtained 60fps. I don't know why, but the fps slider isn't accurate.
Vsync is also problematic....sometimes I get 30fps on 60Hz in fullscreen.

(ATI HD 4770 here, usually playing 720p maxed with vsync)

See my other post http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/4209821326?page=2#40 on why you should expect to see 30fps when running at 60Hz vsync.
Edited by Cam#2505 on 28/05/2012 13:03 BST
Reply Quote
Same issue, it goes from 60 to 59 very quickly then drops to 30... wierd.

60/1 = 60
60/2 = 30
60/3 = 20
and so on

thats exactly what i see (have to look really carefull though its really hard to spot on most settings but it really jumps down to 21 even really shortly once per 1-2 secs you can see it.)

with vsynch on and max fps foreground set to:
at 66 i get 60 most the time but incredibly fast fluctuating 64-60-59, 32 , and even 21
(69% gpu load, mem controller 36/37 load, cpu load goes bananas though -11,32,20,43,34,30,25,38,05,43,27 (thats D3 alone not total cpu use) toon standing still in game.
at 60 i get 32
at 33 i get 32 (but really steady) gpu load 37%, mem.contr.20%, cpu load 0-5%, and 10-20C cooler vidcard.
at 32 i get 21-32 fast wobble

i find the 'if the card cant handle it you get 32' really wierd though.. the card can run 80-130fps if i 'let it go full throttle' its just silly how fast it heats up then though

its really inconsistant too.. i've been fiddling with nividia driver settings last night and at one point i had a pretty steady 60fps , still a bit of wobble but ALOT less..
now i log on again this afternoon its back to fast wobblefest.

indeed slight variations i would consider verry normal.. but in D3 it just goes completely mad.

guess the latest nvidia driver of may 22th doesnt help any at all on this? I can save me the trouble of updating then :)

so far only 33 set is the setting that works 99% of the time ( it was 32 the first 2 days diablo came out but now that one wobbles fast between 21 and 32) and is super steady compared to the others.
since the game has virtually no cpu use at that setting my guess is the game or driver has trouble allocating a steady cpu load , or buffers dont work well. (sounds wierd but check the load on your cpu) - again it can be a bit more steady one day and alot more jumping in slightly different range the other day

turning vsynch off in game has no effect at all on the numbers either btw (driver profile set to appl. controlled) - [windowed full screen gives me stutters]

core2 duo E8400, geforce 9800gtx+ , driver 285.58, win xp pro (32bit) - full screen mode, 1920x1080

just tried out different screen resolutions and windowed/full screen.. get back to my good old 1920x1080 full screen turned vsynch off suddenly its steady at 60 (no drops to 32/21) but if i set the slider on 60 it is 32 fps :P how silly is that? vsynch is off? meh now its 64-32 wobble again.. but do get tearing so vsynch is off imo.

just cant trust any of these settings 100%
alt tab, or restart of the game and its different again.
Edited by IH8PatchDayz#2953 on 28/05/2012 17:35 BST
Reply Quote
contrary to the AMD/Radeon fixes, I found it's best to run window mode with Vsync forced on in nvidia control panel and disabled in-game. fullscreen seemed to jump around from 60fps to 30fps when it couldn't keep up, feeling like slow motion, whereas in window modes it stayed near 60fps still when the fps dropped a few.

but remember for window modes you should have aero enabled and vsync forced on, that way the desktop is hardware accelerated and the game uses the desktop's vsync.

as for refresh, any non-60hz screen will be forced to 60fps max it seems with vsync in fullscreen, but in window modes it worked fine (I tested at 75Hz).

I didn't have much luck with adaptive vsync, it seemed like the entire game was running with vsync off since the game can't keep up with the refresh rate for some reason... definitely an issue on blizzard's end.

also for the jittering and major stuttering - that's an issue with the game streaming assets from disk. you can alleviate this by installing the game on a flash drive or a RAM Disk. (highly recommend a RAM Disk if you have at least 10GB ram, or with 8GB you can cherry pick a few MPQ's to a 6GB ram disk)
Edited by Aristar#1998 on 31/05/2012 20:58 BST
Reply Quote
I have posted something similar...

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/5270834509?page=1

This rapidly spinning fps counter seems to cause a camera stutter when the screen pans in any direction. Its smooth fps if I stand still, cast spells, etc... but if the camera moves, there is this frame skipping that occurs...
Reply Quote
i also have stuttering problems

i5 2500k @ 4.0 ghz
gtx 560 non-ti
16 gigs 1600mhz ddr3
250gb black caviar hdd

i think you can fix the slot-machine fps counter by turning on fullscreen window mode. doesn't really mean much since the stutter remains, but regardless.

try it out
Edited by Cyanide#1816 on 02/06/2012 22:25 BST
Reply Quote
Cutting and pasting from a thread I started a couple days ago that's not as popular as this one:

Here's what I've found out about the stuttering problems. First, and most importantly, is that the stuttering problem is actually two different stuttering problems. The first is the "inaccurate vsync" stutter that is the cause of the regular hiccups regardless of what's going on in-game. It's more noticeable when the screen is scrolling. It's also the reason the fps counter will occasionally spin up to a higher fps and it causes a shuddering effect. The second is the "asset loading" stutter that is caused by, imo, lackluster threading/multicore support when loading assets off the hard drive/net. Even simple things like dialogue lines, are causing stutters. The more stuff that gets loaded off the hard drive and net, the bigger the stutter and that is especially annoying in larger fights.

Now, the "Inaccurate vsync" stutter is something I'm familiar with as an AMD HTPC user. There are just certain combinations of directx, aero, fullscreen exclusive vs. fullscreen windowed (nonexclusive), and amd's vsync that just don't work right. What I found most successful in getting a smooth vsync with my HTPC player (MPC Home Cinema) was leaving aero on and using fullscreen nonexclusive mode. Exactly the same is true for Diablo. The only way to fix the vsync stutter is to leave Aero on and play Diablo in fullscreen windowed mode with the frame rate limiter off. This is definitely AMD specific and may or may not apply to NVidia users as well, but I suspect it might. Aero provides its own vsync routine and it is very good.

It's a shame really, I think this vysnc stutter could have been avoided if Blizzard had just included its own custom accurate vsync routine (like pretty much everyone else) instead of the lackluster generic one provided by the graphics card. But they didn't and that's why you get stutters in fullscreen exclusive mode.

As for the second issue, I have not managed to resolve it myself yet, but I imagine, as many others have mentioned, that a RAMDISK is ultimately the best option. I do not have enough RAM myself to do this. The 2nd best option would be to install an internal SSD card, which I don't have either. Other peopled have suggested 16GB+ USB drives, but there is a decent amount of overhead with USB so I am doubtful of that. The one thing that can help everyone else though, is to make sure to defragment your hard drive after every Diablo update. If you have a more sophisticated defrag program that can prioritize folders into the fastest spot on the hard drive, all the better.

Again, sadly, the asset loading stutter should have been completely avoidable on Blizzard's part.
Edited by MyKillK#1335 on 02/06/2012 22:48 BST
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
WE NEED A PERMANENT FIX, NOT TO CHANGE OUR MACHINES FOR THE SHAKE OF D3!!!!
Reply Quote
02/06/2012 22:43Posted by MyKillK
As for the second issue, I have not managed to resolve it myself yet, but I imagine, as many others have mentioned, that a RAMDISK is ultimately the best option. I do not have enough RAM myself to do this. The 2nd best option would be to install an internal SSD card, which I don't have either.

I'm sure some people will have had different experiences, I still get noticable stuttering/micro freezing as well as slowdowns despite having my os, my pagefile as well as D3 on a Crucial M4 128GB SSD. With a Phenom X4 955, GTX 470 Ti and 8 GB DDR3 RAM, the game should run completely smooth.

Have you noticed that the game only uses 1GB of RAM, even while playing? It seems silly to load that little data into the memory, when people are expected to have at least 4GB nowadays.
Reply Quote
[quote]
Have you noticed that the game only uses 1GB of RAM, even while playing? It seems silly to load that little data into the memory, when people are expected to have at least 4GB nowadays.

I haven't but that doesn't surprise me. The game should be much more aggressively caching data in advance rather than waiting to stream it immediately at the moment of need. That's what's causing the stutter. Blizzard really borked the streaming system.

Makes me also wonder just how much is controlled server-side.
Edited by MyKillK#1335 on 02/06/2012 23:55 BST
Reply Quote
I just tried the trick of copying the MPQs folder to a USB drive and symbolic linking, and I must admit, it actually did work quite a bit. It really reduced, almost eliminated, the "asset loading" stutter.

After examination of the Resource Monitor while playing Diablo III, it looks like the reading/writing of system files is causing hiccups in Diablo III's streaming system. By moving the MPQs folder to a separate drive, you can essentially simultaneously read/write system files and Diablo's data files, which really helped.

I also noticed that Diablo III was writing to the windows page file on a regular basis but never actually using it (it only uses 800MB-1GB of memory making use of the pagefile unnecessary). So I disabled the windows page file which eliminated a big source of system file writes, increasing performance even more.

So I finally have very little vsync stutter and very little asset loading stutter. The way the game should have been to begin with!
Edited by MyKillK#1335 on 03/06/2012 23:39 BST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]