Diablo® III

which mantra do you use?

so I am currently at the end of act 1 nightmare and I am experimenting with different mantras. so far I have been using healing all the time, but I noticed that the sustained heal from it isnt that usefull, as the danger imo lies in getting bursted down rather than dying from sustained damage, as the monk as so many GTFO spells (Serenity foremost).
The retribution one unfortunately seems to be countered by the monks innate higher dodge chance (you get hit a lot less so it deals a lot less damage than it would on someone without dodge but with higher armor lik a barb).
the evasion one also doesnt seem to be that usefull anymore, as I have around 22% dodge chance without skills and further dodge increase is heavily subject to diminishing returns. also, dodge wont help me getting one shotted later on.
so I'm thinking: mantra of conviction. this thing is just flat out a 24% damage increase (with the first rune). that's awesome. if you spam it in boss fights, you get 48% incrased damage. even more awesome.

so I am testing this right now, what have you guys experienced so far?
Reply Quote
Imho, Mantra of Conviction is great, however, naturally you have you to compensate the loss of damage prevention mechanic. And there are a lot of ways to do that.

However, if you are afraid of getting bursted down, Mantra of Healing has the shield which would help you avoid that. Serenity and Blinding Flash are also good tools to deal with enemies.

I also don't like the Contribution since dodge kind of negates that.

Evasion Mantra is still nice, you can tank huge groups, and if you have an AoE based build, can just wreck things easily. Works well with Backlash rune.
Reply Quote
I've been using Mantra of Conviction all the time after I unlocked it, I'm in nightmare act 3 now. I'm usually playing in group, so the damage increase is times the amount of players. Although later in the game avoidance and healing might be more usable. And in some bosses (where there's puddles of something bad) I use matra of healing so I don't have to move so much.
Reply Quote
I dont have the shield rune for healing yet, might switch over to that again when I get it...
Reply Quote
I use 15% dodge with 20% armor rune.

Monk is an avoidance character in my opinion, so I'll keep running that.
Reply Quote
Healing Mantra with Life on Hit Daggers
Reply Quote
I used the healing Mantra.
Reply Quote
Healing Mantra, with Boon of Protection, and stack hp then the shield from it will take a hell lot of dmg.. atleast that is the only reason I can keep my self alive on Inferno.

Build:
http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/monk#ajgifQ!YbZ!YYYbYb
Reply Quote
Mantra of Evasion, but I'm soloing through the game (Nightmare atm), thus lacking damage and get to eat all cc myself. Combining this Mantra with Divine Protection, and then run two passive (Chant of Resonance and Pacifism) to make me more durable.

I've been glancing at the Mantra of Healing with Circular Breathing or Time of Need, if I play co-op I'd probably swap over to those.
Reply Quote
80 Blood Elf Paladin
The +48% dmg one.
Reply Quote
HEaling mantra (spam)
Edited by Bafo#2468 on 19/05/2012 09:54 BST
Reply Quote
In my opinion retribution falls off. Retribution doesn't directly aid your survival or benefit your damage, added damage doesn't scale with your own damage but rather acts as another source.

The other mantra's are really good in their own way and depending on your build you might need defence or offence. Obviously in a party dealing 48% more damage is extremely strong. Just to put it in perspective, build as a support tank and you can keep the Conviction active up all the time, in a four man party you add 150% DPS just by being there. In a sense being able to do that halves the enemy's HP.

Dodge mantra is great but obviously luck based. The Healing mantra is nice enough, active allows you to heal through most of what soloing can throw at you. Boon of Protection is another great party buff.
Reply Quote
Healing. I can stand still and spam LMB on bosses/elites with it, I'm on Nightmare now.
Later, where heals will stuck and incoming DMG/max HP will continue to rise, I'll use something else (evasion imo).
Reply Quote
I usually use Mantra of healing while in coop mode.. I usually play in Coop mode. but if there's 2nd monk who'll use Mantra of healing, I rather go to Mantra of Evasion with Divine protection ^^
Reply Quote
i use mantra of healing (nightmare second act) but i play with a wizard so he sometimes needs a lot of healing. if i get enough dmg/lifeleech i might change to an offensive mantra conviction/ret

19/05/2012 11:23Posted by Gigler
I usually use Mantra of healing while in coop mode.. I usually play in Coop mode. but if there's 2nd monk who'll use Mantra of healing, I rather go to Mantra of Evasion with Divine protection ^^

only one mantra can be active btw
Edited by Merathy#1802 on 19/05/2012 17:51 BST
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Warrior
15% dodge 20% armor
Reply Quote
I was using my Healing Mantra with the rune to give more health per tick during Normal & Nightmare, but in Hell I've switched to Mantra of Conviction with the rune that increase damage.
Reply Quote
I used Mantra of Evasion. But shortly into NM I switched it out for Mantra of Conviction to do some extra damage. Together with my fiery ally and the templar it does some decent enough additional damage. Defensively I have Blinding Flash and my own skill to avoid the crap that gets thrown at me.

The ally + exploding palm deals with groups of opponents really quickly so I don't even bother with defenses just yet.
Reply Quote
i use mantra of healing (nightmare second act) but i play with a wizard so he sometimes needs a lot of healing. if i get enough dmg/lifeleech i might change to an offensive mantra conviction/ret

only one mantra can be active btw

pls read between the line, if theres 2nd monk who is willing to switch healing mantra, I rather go to Evasive Mantra
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]