Diablo® III

Writhans barbarian guide to Inferno - Solo!

The guide is divided into the following sections:

1) What to expect?
2) The skill setup
3) The itemization
4) Trash, elite packs and boss tactics
5) Conclussion / end words

1: What to expect?

This guide is based purely on my actual in game experience, and not theory. Currently I'm farming act 1 on Inferno. Progression wise I'm halfway through act 2.

Farming with 5 valor stacks on Inferno.

I named this build CASTER-BARB, as it's a ranged high damage class. I utilize stuns and leap in order to keep distance from the high damage Inferno offers.

The build works both solo and in 4 man parties, and is especially powerful if you're teaming up with ranged characters.

This guide is not the key to immortality, because like all other classes, you will die alot in inferno. This should however help you being able to farm at least act 1 on Inferno.

2: The skill setup

Build: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/barbarian#aeYXik!hZY!YYbcYZ

a) Bash - Instigation
* This is your emergency fury generater. You'll rarely use it, unless really needed.

b) Seismic slam - Strength from Earth
* The essential part of the build. This is your main source of damage, and will protect you from damage due to the knockback

c) Ground stomp - Trembling Stomp
* It doesn't really matter what glyph you use here. I just prefer to do alittle damage when I stun. This is your main defensive ability.

d) Leap - Death from above
* A get out of jail free card, with an additional stun. It's very useful for getting away or stunning a mob about to blast your mate.

e) Battle rage - Into the fray
* Another essential ability. The glyph here is actually the key for this skill setup to work. It will allow you to continuously deal damage, without running out of fury. Always make sure this buff is active!

f) War cry - Charge
* Essential ability. This is your fuel generator that you spam, in order to keep fury levels at high levels in case of unlucky crits.

3: The itemization

I prefer using a two handed weapon, as it provides a much needed damage boost.

The key to this build is a combination of strength and crit. Because of this, you'll have to use an axe or mace (weapons master +10% crit). Without crit, your "into the fray" will rarely proc, and you'll suffer from fury starvation. Strength is of course essential both because of the damage, but also the armor provided from it.

Critical damage and health comes in second. As you'll be doing a reasonable amount of crits, you'll suddenly benefit alot from critical damage, and crit very hard. The health is naturally very welcome, as you'll be able to make more mistakes.

Thirdly you'll want resists. In Inferno however, the spell damage is so massive, no matter the resist level you'll feel an ant being squished by the boot of a giant. Because of this it's imperative that you try to avoid getting hit by spells in general. None the less, the stat is still a decent third choice.

Magic find is always welcome, but try not to gimp yourself too much.

4) Trash, elite packs and boss tactics

The trash fighting is very simple. You'll want to keep "Into the fray" active, and just spam away with seismic slam. Some mobs can be abit aggrivating, as they are immune to knockback, but with proper kiting most of it should be a breeze. I won't go further into details here, as it's pretty simple to execute.

Here's a video for quick reference: <In progress>

Elite packs and named packs are alot different, and depending on the "tags" on these, the fight can vary alot. First, some general guidelines.

Vortex: This will "pull" you to the mob in question.
* When mobs have this, you'll have to fight in places with alot of corners or pillars. If you break line of sight, the pull will only drag you into the wall, and not into the lions maw. Use leap if they catch you.

Jailer: This will root you in place for a few seconds.
* Always keep long distance to mobs with jailer if possible. If not, you can use your war stomp if they reach you.

Waller: Walls rise around you, blocking movement.
* Wall can actually be a huge advantage. It usually drags out the fight, leaving you able to drink more healing potions. Be aware that you cannot seismic slam through walls.

Mortar: When you're outside melee range, fireballs are launched in your general direction.
* Once mortars are fired, swap direction you're running. You can use leap if they get too close.

Arcane enchanted: Purple orbs are summoned, dealing massive arcane damage in close proximity.
* If mobs have these, you'll have to kite alot. Keep running, and never stop or run back, unless they begin to fade. The orbs run an entire 360 degree angle, and then disappear.

frost enchanted: Frozen bombs appear and shortly after explode, stunning you.
* Same as above. Keep running, and do not get struck. In most cases, you'll die if they stun you.

Electrified: Charged bolts appear from the enemies as you strike them.
* I've never actually had any problems with these. So I have no advice here.

Knockback: A heavy hit knocking you back, slowing you as you land.
* While it's great to get knockbacked with this build, the slow can be extremely dangerous. Try to avoid getting hit here, or at least have stun or leap ready afterwards.

Vampiric: Steals life from you, when they attack.
* This is a non factor. Mobs rarely strike you.

Fire chains: A fire chain connects the mobs, dealing heavy damage if you cross it.
* Fire chains can be very dangerous. They deal alot of damage. The mobs will usually try to circle around you, so use stun and leap to avoid getting caught.

Fast: Increased movement speed on the pack.
* One of the most dangerous effects. This makes the mobs impossible to kite, and in conjunction with high damage, this can be a definate "skip me" tag. There are exceptions however.

Extra health: Increased health levels.
* Non factor. You'll just have to kite longer.

Health link: The mobs share health.
* This is usually an advantage. These usually die fast, as you'll seismic slam the entire group at the time.

Molten: A fire trail are left behind in the footprints of the mobs. Also, the mob explodes upon death.
* Avoid kiting through it, as it's painful. Overall, this is not a problem however.

Plague: A poison pool is placed down below the mob occasionally.
* Completely non factor. You're not in melee range, so this shouldn't bother you.

Desecrate: This erupts a pool of fire below you.
* Usually not a problem, as you'l be running alot. If "fast" mobs have this, you can do a quick seismic slam as they are "casting" this. They usually freeze for a second or two to do so.

Damage reflect: This reflects are portion of the damage you deal to the mob.
* I've yet to experience any problems with this.

These are the effects mob can have. Each pack has four. Some combinations are alot more difficult than others. Depending on the mob type, the difficulty can also be alot different. One of the most dangerous combinations is typically jailer, mortar, fast and fire chains. It's very difficult to kite these, and they'll in most cases either strike you down with the mortars bombarding your fragile body, while you're rooted to the ground or catch you with fire chains.

The general tactic is very simple, kite, kite and kite. Once you're done kiting, kite some more. Leap can in some cases allow you to jump up or down a floor, which can be extremely useful for dragging out the fight, and allowing you to drink that extra healing potion. If you discover a healing fountain somewhere, pulling the pack to these can improve your chances of succes alot, as you'll have that extra life near.

Here is a video of me kiting an elite pack: <In progress>

All the bosses in act 1 is actually quite easy. This build is not a strong boss killer, but it's not really required. Butcher can be rather painful though, as you'll have to bash him to death. The trick on butcher is simply stay in melee, take the beating he gives you, and circle-kite when he does the "double jump" that implies he is about to strike you down with a strong attack. When he charges away, throw a single seismic slam his way, and return to melee range. Use healing wells when your potions are on cooldown. Leap is essential here in order to get away from the fiery ground. I'm pretty sure there's kind of an enrage timer on this boss, and once you reach this the entire room will light up. Autoattack, keep shouts up and avoid the high damage abilities, and you should be able to take him eventually.

If you cannot kill him, and valor stacks have faded, I'll recommend the following build to easily dispatch him: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/barbarian#WeRXik!cZY!cYbcab - You'll simply autoattack him to death here, using the same tactic as above.

5) Conclussion / end words

This build is really all about being open minded. It's alot different than the typical builds here, which is also why I posted it. Barbarians have the possibility to be a strong ranged fighter, there's no reason to limit ourselves to melee combat only.

I hope this guide was useful for you.

/Writhan - The barbarian
Edited by Writhan#2753 on 21/05/2012 17:52 BST
Reply Quote
Looks interesting, but it seems act 1 of inferno is not where the real problems start. I've got an entirely different build and am also farming act 1 inferno (when the servers are up...). I can pretty much kill any group and most of them I can even tank easily.

How is your build holding up in act 2? A lot of people seem to just die instantly, even with 500+ resists in all and insane amounts of health, armor and dps, and even have problems with simple trash mobs.
Reply Quote
I honestly didn't invest any real time in act 2. I just cleared up to the first waypoint, and decided that I wanted to do some farming first.

But apart from the "very slow" locust firing swarms (they're just anoying), it worked pretty well. I didn't do any bosses however, but I would expect it to perform decently.
Reply Quote
92 Orc Warrior
I think you could change Leap attack to Furious charge with the dreadnought rune as not only does it give you 8% max Hp per enemy hit but at the end of the charge it knocks back enemies (you shouldn't get hit after you knock 'em back if your quick enough).
Reply Quote
Seems like you forgot the "Shield" ability, which I am pretty sure will squash you to bits if you use this guide, I have tried a couple of seismic builds, with the kiting and low damage you usually end up enraging the elites.
Reply Quote
I'm having trouble with the Spider Queen and getting one-shot outside of cooldowns, what would be the recommended HP for inferno?
Reply Quote
Pretty creative build. I like the idea, so I took a stab at it with my barbarian. What about the Relentless passive skill? Think it would be possible to recreate this build around the idea that skills cost 0 fury when below 20% health?

I tried this for a little while, and its definitely effective if you just spam corners and fight at a long distance. The trouble is when something manages to sneak up on you.
Reply Quote
wait till you get to act 2 and dont fool people.. i was unkilliable tank on act 1 on act 2 im nothing with nearly all lvl 60 rare gear
Reply Quote
21/05/2012 04:49Posted by Grimjaws
I think you could change Leap attack to Furious charge with the dreadnought rune as not only does it give you 8% max Hp per enemy hit but at the end of the charge it knocks back enemies (you shouldn't get hit after you knock 'em back if your quick enough).

The mobility leap supplies is way beyond that of charge, although the extra healing your receive here is very welcome. Leap is invaluable against wallers and very helpful to kite mobs by jumping up and down floors in the dungeons.

I'm sure some areas charge would definately be the prefered option though. I'll definately add the charge to the mix, and see if I can find good use for it!
Reply Quote
21/05/2012 06:21Posted by Abu
Seems like you forgot the "Shield" ability, which I am pretty sure will squash you to bits if you use this guide, I have tried a couple of seismic builds, with the kiting and low damage you usually end up enraging the elites.

Are you speaking of ignore pain? I hardly get hit, so it's not really that vital.

My barbarian has 43% crit (with shout and the scoundrel pet) and 161% crit damage. I have 21697 dps in my character sheet (751,3 dps weapon and 1384 strength). My seismic shards HIT for 22k and crit for around 60k.

I've got 33700 hp.

Enrage has yet to be an issue.
Reply Quote
21/05/2012 06:48Posted by VindicatoRZA
I'm having trouble with the Spider Queen and getting one-shot outside of cooldowns, what would be the recommended HP for inferno?

If you're getting one-shotted at spider queen, I'm guessing your defensive stats are very low. I could tank her pretty solid with a two hander. I'm currently at 3918 armor (56,63%). The trick for me was not eating her spells.
Reply Quote
21/05/2012 07:11Posted by Pangolin
Pretty creative build. I like the idea, so I took a stab at it with my barbarian. What about the Relentless passive skill? Think it would be possible to recreate this build around the idea that skills cost 0 fury when below 20% health?

I'm glad you like it!

I actually used the relentless passive in a 4 man group I was running. It was however on lower difficulties (Nightmare and hell) and I purposely tried to stay below 20% health to allow myself to do extreme damage. It was fun, but for solo purpose I can't see how it'll work.. you'll get struck now and then, and really need to be able to withstand that.

If you are in a group however, our dps would skyrocket using this build, definately.
Reply Quote
How do you heal if you do get hit by something? :s I don't see how you keep your hp up
Reply Quote
21/05/2012 09:02Posted by Fiercy
wait till you get to act 2 and dont fool people.. i was unkilliable tank on act 1 on act 2 im nothing with nearly all lvl 60 rare gear

I'm sorry to hear you were unable to farm act 2 as a tank. But I agree, stepping into act 2 is really like stepping up an entire difficulty. Act 1 inferno suddenly feels weak.

I started act 2 last night, and I'm about halfway through. I was very unlucky with elite packs, I managed to kill 2 or 3 during the evening. I kept running into fast (on already fast mobs) so make them more or less teleport around the map, so it was impossible to kite without taking consistent damage.

Anyways, I'm sure with more suited elite group flags, I could definately handle them somewhat. Lacuna hunters are a different issue though .. These require alot of ranged (so they cannot leap attack you) in order to avoid more or less instant death.
Reply Quote
21/05/2012 15:35Posted by Grisnak
How do you heal if you do get hit by something? :s I don't see how you keep your hp up

The trick is actually to avoid taking damage to begin with, using leap and ground stomp... but that's not possible in every scenario, so .. like everyone else I use health pots. But also keep in mind as you strike mobs, health crystals can drop .. you can just let them be for when you really need them, and not just mindlessly loot them. Take them when you're at 20% health, and use them as an extra healing pot.

Also, when healing fountains are near .. use healing potion > fountain > healing potion > fountain.

Again, it all depends on what you're fighting. Some mobs are easier to kite than others, and some mobs are more or less impossible to handle without graveyard rushing.
Reply Quote
21/05/2012 15:40Posted by Writhan

The trick is actually to avoid taking damage to begin with, using leap and ground stomp... but that's not possible in every scenario, so .. like everyone else I use health pots. But also keep in mind as you strike mobs, health crystals can drop .. you can just let them be for when you really need them, and not just mindlessly loot them. Take them when you're at 20% health, and use them as an extra healing pot.

Also, when healing fountains are near .. use healing potion > fountain > healing potion > fountain.

Again, it all depends on what you're fighting. Some mobs are easier to kite than others, and some mobs are more or less impossible to handle without graveyard rushing.

awesome. Just specced the build now, gonna regem for strength. Thanks for taking the time and trying to help us out :)
Reply Quote

My barbarian has 43% crit (with shout and the scoundrel pet) and 161% crit damage.

How? I can't seem to go past 26% even with the shout
Reply Quote
21/05/2012 15:52Posted by Grisnak
How? I can't seem to go past 26% even with the shout

Necklace: 6%
Bracer: 3,5%
Gloves: 5,5%
Ring 1: 2%

The ring and necklace was bought of the AH for a total value of around 400k. The stats are decent, next to the crit however.. You can probably find some blue ones to a more reasonable price.
Reply Quote
Thanks for posting your build, I was thinking about doing a Seismic build myself, so I will check this out tonight.

About the abilities on elite packs, you forgot "Shielding" as was already said, also Immune minions and Teleport (I find actually teleport + fire chains as most painful combo).
Reply Quote
21/05/2012 16:05Posted by DeMordey
About the abilities on elite packs, you forgot "Shielding" as was already said, also Immune minions and Teleport (I find actually teleport + fire chains as most painful combo).

Ahh, of course. That's what he ment by shielding! Yes, you're right. I "forgot" a few, shielding, invulnerability and illusionist I think? and yes, teleport.. How could I forget!

The problem was I ran out of characters. Maximum 10.000 per post ! :(

Anyway, here's my description of the remaining abilities:

Shielding: Mobs gain temporarily immunity.
* This ability can be a problem if the mobs are either "fast" or is a fast mob by default. You're not able to stun these while they are effected by the shield. So keep your distance. Try to get a "feel" for when the shield is about to apply and fade.

Invulnerable: The minions of the boss are permanently immune to damage.
* This ability is similiar to shielding but has its pros and cons. First off, you're able to stun these mobs, even though they are immune to your damage. So naturally, you're going to have an easier time fending these off. However, if these are "fast" it'll be extremely difficult to stay alive long enough to kill the boss. Usually you'll be killing the minions way faster than the boss, but since they are immune you'll have to deal with them an entire fight. Depending on the mob type, this can be a very frustrating ability.

Illusionist: Occasionally clones itself into multiple weaker versions.
* Often, you'll find this ability to your advantage. It doesn't directly "buff" the mobs like "fast" or "extra health" and since seismic shard deals so much aoe damage, you'll most likely shatter the clones to pieces before they even move. Furthermore, you'll gain alot of fury if you crit a few of them on the way because of the battle shout.

Teleport: Instantly warps the mob to your location
* In most cases, if you're moving, the mobs will not be able to hit you after a teleport. Like most of these abilities, they have a slight cast time (They're not actually channeling, but the mobs are standing still while using them). If you're fighting something like a teleport + fire chain, leap will be your saviour. Usually you can jump out before you begin taking damage. Mobs types with quick attack speed can be rough in conjunction with teleport.
Edited by Writhan#2753 on 21/05/2012 16:23 BST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]