Diablo® III

Wizard nightmare solo build

Hi guys !

I've just started the game on nightmare. I've managed to solo act 1 on nightmare.. but i'm getting really deleted by mobs and i can't find a good build to keep soloing.

Anyone that has managed to solo game in nightmare can share his build?

Thanks !
Reply Quote
I'm finding act 1 quite easy on Nightmare - I would recommend using diamond skin + infernal force to keep distance and take punishment while using disintegrate to dish out the punishment. If you run low on AP you can use Magic Missile (split) + the passive AP regain to replenish.

And, of course, make full use of Archon whenever you see anything that is not an "ordinary" mob.
Reply Quote
I'm finding act 1 quite easy on Nightmare - I would recommend using diamond skin + infernal force to keep distance and take punishment while using disintegrate to dish out the punishment. If you run low on AP you can use Magic Missile (split) + the passive AP regain to replenish.

And, of course, make full use of Archon whenever you see anything that is not an "ordinary" mob.

Not bad at all ! i'll give it a shot !

More ideas please !
Reply Quote
If youre dying alot, consider replacing some or many of your offensive spells for more defensive ones.

Energy armor, is a dps decrease, but a great increase against most common mobs because of the armor increase, and it got some good runes later on.

IMO, i picked frost nova over diamond skin as id prefer stopping an enemy from attacking completely instead of absorbing his damage.

shockwave with the first rune can save you quite often, just keep in mind the AP requirement if youre using energy armor because you will have less :P

a side from that, fool around with the spells and see if you find something you like.

Also, gearing on nightmare, you should start considering vitallity and increase health globe mods on your gear as it vastly increases your ability to take hits.
Reply Quote
More or less what TheCannon says, I'm onto NM now, finishing up act 1 (when the damn game lets me back on).

Disintegrate is my main damage, magic missile with the damage rune for a bit of single target damage. Hydra is nice to use because you can dump it down then use your mana for disintegrate while it continues to dps. I use diamond skin with prism rune, protects you and allows you to keep disintegrate going for ages. Unless you're having major survival problems use magic weapon to get your damage up, and of course archon at the sight of anything tough, or a huge pack of trash mobs.

Basically I've geared everything fairly offensively, chewing through enemies before the abilties that form my lifeline run out. I don't expect that to work forever, but so far it more than suffices.

As has been my typical experience of the wizard, it's a bit light on single target dps without archon, but absolutely slaughters any group, particularly in tight corridors.
Edited by DarkFenix#1238 on 16/05/2012 03:38 BST
Reply Quote
Get new gear, it's really not hard you just gotta shop on the AH. My wiz is like 36 ATM, 1200 DPS base and Disintegrate to melt everything.

Any thats actually with a !@#$ty weapon, havent been able to get a better one cheap yet.
Edited by BlackMarch#2465 on 16/05/2012 03:51 BST
Reply Quote
diamond skin with more absorb smg
Wave of Force with stun
archon with tele
tele with wormhole

disintegrate main dps, tank with diamon skin, push them back with wof tele if needed, archon when u cant run anymore
Reply Quote
BlackMarch -- 1200dps base ? wow .. that's like .. a lot :)

So you got the gear from AH ? ... makes me wonder if i should start to save gold for AH and worry about the other goldsinks later.
Reply Quote
BlackMarch -- 1200dps base ? wow .. that's like .. a lot :)

So you got the gear from AH ? ... makes me wonder if i should start to save gold for AH and worry about the other goldsinks later.

yea alot! can you show us your skillbuild BlackMarch?
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
I will probs roll with this in nightmare: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/wizard#UZOXQd!cXY!aZaaaa
Edited by Andyo#2525 on 16/05/2012 11:57 BST
Reply Quote
Your build will change every single time you find it doesn't work. Don't think about a single build as being the one that'll take you through. Wait until you die, figure out why. Did they hit too hard so that you need shielding or defensive abilities? Were there too many of them that you needed more AoE damage? Was the boss hitting too hard and often for you to hit back so you need passive dps and survivability?

If you've tried a few builds and it's still not working, look towards your tactics and your items. If you're undergeared, you'll suffer. Start of act 2 and start of act 3 are a step change in the quality of trash mobs. Expect some beats until you level up. If you finished normal difficulty fast (<level 30) you may find you want to go back run through act 4 and get another level or two and stack up some money and items.

Either way, set build ideas are a thing of the past.
Reply Quote
Hey guys,

A fellow wizard player here.

I have no trouble what so ever, surviving, dmging, everything.

Build is (lvl 37):

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/wizard#WcYdfh!aXW!ZZaaaa

I know, I know, this is a melee build your thinking.
That is correct!

I have 2 stuns, frost nova, wave of force, with ice armor I also stun mobs.
Then I have from passive 20% more dmg always!

Main dmg dealers are explosive blast! and spectral blade(hits 3x one cast)

I have 4.3k hp, 500 int, 1k armor.

And 1200 dps aint rlly strong.

A unique boss NM act1 has about 50k hp. Takes a while to kill him...
Spectral blade with one cast(2-3 in a sec) hits enemies 3x in my area, that means 1500 dmg one cast, atleast 3k dmg a sec. Explosive force(gotta love it) AOE 1k dmg.

And rarely, really rarely I just use a pot.

So if you want a smashing(not so safe build) take this one.

Just have every item with atleast +int,+vit.
And try to get life after kill and on wep % heal.
And after that try to get +dex,+str for more survivability.

That's all I have to say people.

P.S. Origin not english, so there can be some grammar mistakes in the text.
Reply Quote
Msn I am curious about your rune choice for explosive blast. With it having a 6second cooldown I almost feel you dont need the cost reduction as you are spamming spectral blade for free. How often do you use arcane orb? That would be the limiting factor I would think. If you dont use it too often I would say try swapping it out for something like Diamond Skin to keep with your way of fighting, or bring something like Ray of Frost so you have a single target spell that works with your passive.
Reply Quote
Grabbing gear from AH is a must. Vit + Intel gear or you're not going anywhere.

Been playing variations of this build: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/wizard#UiX.Sj!!YZZ.Za since I got the skills. Working very well but totally stuck at Diablo Nightmare Difficulty ATM, level 49.
Reply Quote
msn, altho i do unterstand the idea for chilling armor + cold blooded passive... spectral blades do not deal cold damage afaik. and it has to be COLD dmg on chilled opponents.
Reply Quote
Hi guys !

I've just started the game on nightmare. I've managed to solo act 1 on nightmare.. but i'm getting really deleted by mobs and i can't find a good build to keep soloing.

Anyone that has managed to solo game in nightmare can share his build?

Thanks !

I don't have much problem, I think you just need to find a build that suits you and something with slow/disable.. thats important for survivability.

Currently on act 3 nightmare
Reply Quote
Okay I got something working a bit better although I still struggle to understand how you guys are getting 11k hp and 2k dps numbers! I am well below those numbers.

I switched to a diamond skin, wave of force, storm armour reduced AP, archon with mm+CB, Dis+conv.

I just keep SA up, disintegrate, wave of force if they get to close, diamond skin if I cannot run, archon on the elites and mm if I need to recharge. Seems to be working well for the cathedral at least. before I was just getting owned. Now I can chew through things a bit better.
Reply Quote
I personally love this build of mine.
Keep in mind you need a certain playstyle with it, plenty of kiting but great dmg and survivability imo.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/wizard#UcTRSe!YUf!bbYZZb

enjoy :) .
Reply Quote
My build let me breeze through Act I, just finished Leoric

Level 35 (Nightmare)

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/wizard#aiXdSm!aXY!aZZbZ

Obviously cast magic weapon on CD. I try to just do as much damage from a far with Disintegrate as I can. When they get close to me, I either one shot them with Wave of Force, or throw on Diamond Skin (for stronger monsters). With Prism you can pretty much cast Disintegrate with no AP loss. If I do run low, a couple Magic Missles does the trick. And when all else fails, Archon.. face melt everything. Cast Archon's AOE actives when surrounded.

That has been my standard for nightmare so far, but being adaptable is probably the best advice for surviving. If you are uncomfortable with more offensive play style, then pick up Ice Armor with Crystallize. Rune gives you up to 45% more armor and attackers attk speed will be lowered (mele).

Also when fighting single target powerful foes, i.e Leoric, Azmodan, etc. The Hydra is a great substitute for Wave of Force. You usually don't want to be too close to them, and always moving. So just throw it down while you keep moving and casting your other spells.

Last tip.. before I begin to ramble. If your going to use Archon, be sure there are plenty of monsters to instagib so that it will last much longer. When all else fails, ARCHON.
Reply Quote
http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/wizard#acRSXO!YXU!aYaZaY

That build (which another user on here posted, sry can't remember name) has done wonders for me from first to last act of hell. Obviously you can't use Force Armor if you aren't 54, but that is just a detail of the build. Really haven't found anything that has as much damage and helps you take down champion and elite packs so easily. It should be fine through Nightmare aswell imo.

p.s. you do kinda have to be 45 though for temporal flux and tap the source for it to be most effective. Guess you can start trying it in the later parts of nightmare.
Edited by Drylo#2281 on 21/05/2012 10:16 BST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]