Diablo® III

Diablo III only using 1 core of CPU

Do you have any other purpose other than having issues with your life? No? S T F U.

I have issues with idiots who complain for the sake of complaining. Get it?

Etek is the Complaints Police. It's only a legitimate complaint if he says it is.

Edit: To be fair though, his point might be legitimate to some extent. Diablo 3 seems pretty well optimised to me so far.
Edited by popej#2797 on 18/05/2012 13:34 BST
Reply Quote
Uses all 8 of my CPU's. Don't know what you're talking about...
Reply Quote
85 Troll Druid
18/05/2012 13:24Posted by Etek
A game is not your typical application where you can just create a thousand threads and expect everything to run 1000 times better. Why? Because in a game everything is done frame by frame and needs to be synchronized. You can't just dump physics on one core, game update on another, networking on the third and expect a balanced usage.

I don't know what to say if you call 4 processors support something complicated in 2012...
Reply Quote
<<currently waiting for a new upgraded Pc to be delivered....does this mean my single core 2.8ghz can run d3??!??
Reply Quote
Realistically, there probably aren't many gains to be made in increasing multi-threading in D3. Computationally the game's hardly doing any more than the original Diablo; the difference is mostly graphical, so the GPU will be the bottleneck almost all the time.

Obviously it's possible to split some tasks into separate threads (sound/pathfinding/physics etc.), but really it's only the physics calculations which have any cost worth considering - and it's entirely possible, even quite likely, that these area already threaded but you're simply not noticing. On my system D3 seems to use all 4 cores - one at about 25%, the others at less. If I force the CPU affinity to one core, it uses about 60%.

In short, I think the game is already multi-threaded but its requirements are so low that you're not even seeing it.
Reply Quote
Do not forget that fact that your computer will offload other tasks to the unused cores will still increase performance even if that game is only using one core.

So you will still be getting more performance than a single core system. Especially if you are running a lot of background tasks.
Reply Quote
<<currently waiting for a new upgraded Pc to be delivered....does this mean my single core 2.8ghz can run d3??!??

In terms of CPU requirements, very possibly - it's definitely worth trying. But if you have a single-core CPU then that means the machine must be at least 5 years old (not sure if you could still get single-core CPUs even in 2007 actually), so if you've not upgraded the graphics card in that time then that will probably leave you out in the cold.
Reply Quote

In terms of CPU requirements, very possibly - it's definitely worth trying. But if you have a single-core CPU then that means the machine must be at least 5 years old (not sure if you could still get single-core CPUs even in 2007 actually), so if you've not upgraded the graphics card in that time then that will probably leave you out in the cold.

Wooo!
Reply Quote
18/05/2012 13:36Posted by Ecoste

No it doesn't.
If you see all of your CPU:s doing some work it's because of Windows switching different program processes to idle CPU threads. Your 8-core CPU (all cores) will certainly not be on 100% load while playing Diablo.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Mage
18/05/2012 20:25Posted by eksoSytOOSI

No it doesn't.
If you see all of your CPU:s doing some work it's because of Windows switching different program processes to idle CPU threads. Your 8-core CPU (all cores) will certainly not be on 100% load while playing Diablo.

100% load suggests that the game is running slow.

Anything under 100% load is positive. There's simply nothing left to calculate. Your CPU can take it easy, relax a bit, use less power, conserve energy, make it possible for you to alt tab and watch a movie.

All these great things, because Diablo III is already running as fast as it can, it's bottle necked by other components of your PC, and even then, there might simply be nothing left to calculate.

Before asking about this, check this checklist.
Is my game running poorly? No? Then what's the problem?
Is my game consistently at a low (below 25) frame rate? No? Then what's the problem?
Is my game running poorly, but my CPU is not at 100%? If so, it's time to complain.

Also make sure the rest of your hardware can keep up with your CPU.

Signed,
--A game engine developer, sighing and face palming at the amounts of stupid in this thread.
Reply Quote
same here.............
Reply Quote

Nop,I don't. A game using one processor when we have the technology to use 4 and 6 together nowadays seems like a valid complain to me.

Unless you don't want the game to run 4 times smoother that what it does already. In that case you are either a masochist or one of those old coots who see an iphone and start yelling "damn kids these days! Back in our times I had to eat dirt to make a phone call!"

A game is not your typical application where you can just create a thousand threads and expect everything to run 1000 times better. Why? Because in a game everything is done frame by frame and needs to be synchronized. You can't just dump physics on one core, game update on another, networking on the third and expect a balanced usage.
But hey, you are the consumer, you are king, you demand 4 cores to be used because you heard it plays smoother, when in fact, it has nothing to do with it.

Now why couldnt you just have said something like that in your first reply here instead of a s t f u message you giant nob??
Edited by Pigface#2350 on 18/05/2012 20:47 BST
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Mage

But hey, you are the consumer, you are king, you demand 4 cores to be used because you heard it plays smoother, when in fact, it has nothing to do with it.

Now why couldnt you just have said something like that in your first reply here instead of a s t f u message you giant nob??

I totally understand his point of view. People don't take the time to research topics like gaming and parallelism.
Reply Quote
100 Human Warrior

Do you have any other purpose other than having issues with your life? No? S T F U.

I lold hard at your name...
Reply Quote

I totally understand his point of view. People don't take the time to research topics like gaming and parallelism.

Its a computer game, not everyone who buys D3 will research such things in the same manner as those who buy a car will not understand the mechanical technology behind it, that doesnt mean they should be abused for asking a question imo
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Mage

Its a computer game, not everyone who buys D3 will research such things in the same manner as those who buy a car will not understand the mechanical technology behind it, that doesnt mean they should be abused for asking a question imo

Any logical thought would've quickly made the assumption that, if a CPU is not at 100%, that's a good thing. It makes sense when you think about it, guys.
Reply Quote
agreed, my only dispute was the abuse the poster received, much like many on this forum, I have not seen so much flaming for honest questions no matter how obvious the answer on any other forums except these, these forums are more abusive than any other I have encountered and most of it unnecessary
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Mage
18/05/2012 21:14Posted by Pigface
agreed, my only dispute was the abuse the poster received, much like many on this forum, I have not seen so much flaming for honest questions no matter how obvious the answer on any other forums except these, these forums are more abusive than any other I have encountered and most of it unnecessary

Welcome to the internet. People's tolerance for the affliction of stupid is very low these days.
Reply Quote
18/05/2012 20:43Posted by Laniala

Your 8-core CPU (all cores) will certainly not be on 100% load while playing Diablo.

Anything under 100% load is positive. There's simply nothing left to calculate. Your CPU can take it easy, relax a bit, use less power, conserve energy, make it possible for you to alt tab and watch a movie.

This is not entirely correct.
Most games will take 100% load in a single core and single threaded system.
And still the game might be running without problems.
It's just with multithreaded systems (most modern PC:s) when you should have under 100% CPU load for games not designed for symmetric multiprocessing (most games) or there is something strange going on.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Mage

This is not entirely correct.
Most games will take 100% load in a single core and single threaded system.
And still the game might be running without problems.
It's just with multithreaded systems (most modern PC:s) when you should have under 100% CPU load for games not designed for symmetric multiprocessing (most games) or there is something strange going on.

This is nonsense, in any real time scheduling OS (which has been the standard since 1970), no program would use 100% CPU.

The exception being if the program doesn't include a sleep(1000); statement or alike, which would be stupid.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]