Diablo® III

[Long Question] How does damage work in Diablo 3?

Hello!

I'm kind of new to Diablo and I was wondering if anyone could explain the damage system to me without going into too much depth with formulas etc.

For example, here is my current weapon: http://i.imgur.com/ndjYX.jpg

• 34.7 Damage Per Second
  • 17-32 Damage
  • 1.42 Attacks Per Second
  • +55 Vitality
  • Increase Attack Speed by 9%
  • I understand that whatever the stats of a weapon, the damage they produce will be increased by the attributes of my character; In my case, intelligence (Wizard).

Here's the first thing that confuses me:

My weapon has a DPS of 34.7, but the 'Damage' it states ranges from 17 to 32... that's 2 less than the 34.7... So WHY does the 34 even exist if it can't be achieved??? With a range of 17-32, I assumed the MINIMUM damage I would EVER do (unless debuffed etc.) would be 17 and the MAXIMUM damage (excluding buffs and attributes etc.) would be 32.

Next Thing:

So I'm a wizard with 515 Intelligence (Includes the +Intelligence from all weapons/armour.)

When I hover over 'Intelligence', the tool-tip tells me that Intelligence:
    "Increases all damage for Witch Doctors and Wizards by 515%"

(See: http://i.imgur.com/2khOu.jpg)

So does this mean that, for example, if I had 200 Intelligence and I did 10 damage with any weapon, having that 200 intelligence as a Wizard would actually make the weapon's damage 20, not 10?

Another Thing:

If I have a weapon that says "Increases attacks speed by 10%" does that mean that, if I already had an attack speed of 1.00 (one attack per 1.00 second), my attack speed would become 0.90?

... Well that's it!

Thank you for reading (If you bothered to get to the end!) and if you want to reach me in-game, my Battletag is: Conway#2835

Bye for now :)
    Reply Quote
    Ok I can answer some of that. DPS means damage per second. If you were to swing that weapon and hit an enemy over a long period of time, you would average to about 34.7 damage done every second. The average damage of the weapon is (17 + 32)/2 = 24.5. Now the weapons speed is 1.42 attacks every second. 24.5 x 1.42 = 34.79 DPS, so it seems to get rounded down to 34.7. This theoretically would be with you only ever hitting between 17 to 32, remember you are hitting more than once every second.

Now the intelligence figure you gave says it increases your damage by 515%. 515% increase = multiplying by 5.15. If you then did a theoretical base hit of 10, intelligence would increase that to (10 x 5.15) or 51.5 damage. If 200 intelligence gave 200% bonus then yes, 200% = 2.0, 10x2.0 = 20.
    Reply Quote
    up
    Reply Quote
    90 Troll Mage
    17/05/2012 10:13Posted by SirLogiC
    Now the intelligence figure you gave says it increases your damage by 515%. 515% increase = multiplying by 5.15. If you then did a theoretical base hit of 10, intelligence would increase that to (10 x 5.15) or 51.5 damage. If 200 intelligence gave 200% bonus then yes, 200% = 2.0, 10x2.0 = 20.

515% increase is actually multiplying by 6.15 (a 50% increase is multiplying by 1.5, not 0.5). So 200 intelligence would take your damage from 10 to 30.
    Reply Quote
    Here's the first thing that confuses me:

My weapon has a DPS of 34.7, but the 'Damage' it states ranges from 17 to 32... that's 2 less than the 34.7... So WHY does the 34 even exist if it can't be achieved??? With a range of 17-32, I assumed the MINIMUM damage I would EVER do (unless debuffed etc.) would be 17 and the MAXIMUM damage (excluding buffs and attributes etc.) would be 32.

DPS = Damage per second, you are doing more than 1 attack every second.

Average damage*attack speed = DPS

((17+32)/2)*1.42 = 34.79

Next Thing:

So I'm a wizard with 515 Intelligence (Includes the +Intelligence from all weapons/armour.)

When I hover over 'Intelligence', the tool-tip tells me that Intelligence:
    "Increases all damage for Witch Doctors and Wizards by 515%"

(See: http://i.imgur.com/2khOu.jpg)

So does this mean that, for example, if I had 200 Intelligence and I did 10 damage with any weapon, having that 200 intelligence as a Wizard would actually make the weapon's damage 20, not 10?

Yes(ish) see above post.

Another Thing:

If I have a weapon that says "Increases attacks speed by 10%" does that mean that, if I already had an attack speed of 1.00 (one attack per 1.00 second), my attack speed would become 0.90?

No, 1.1 attacks/second, you're going the wrong way there.
    Edited by Maffia#2987 on 17/05/2012 11:16 BST
    Reply Quote
    I'm confused about the damage I'm causing as a wizard. Sometimes I pick up a weapon that says it's got better dps, and my item pop up tells me that it will, indeed, increase my damage by two, even though I'm losing some int. is that correct? does a weapons dps have any effect on my spells at all?
    Reply Quote
    DPS is damage/second, so is directly related to the damage you do :S
    Reply Quote
    Thanks a lot, guys!

Especially SirLogiC and Maffia :D

very helpful :)
    Reply Quote
    17/05/2012 12:47Posted by Pendleton
    I'm confused about the damage I'm causing as a wizard. Sometimes I pick up a weapon that says it's got better dps, and my item pop up tells me that it will, indeed, increase my damage by two, even though I'm losing some int. is that correct? does a weapons dps have any effect on my spells at all?

Yes, it's the primary damage. INT, DEX and STR are fine and dandy but at some points it's favorable damage-wise to switch an item that boosts your primary attribute to an item with a simple damage modifier (for instance, 2-4 dmg on a ring in Normal). It's a percentage bonus vs higher basic numbers thing.
    Edited by Zinn#1632 on 17/05/2012 15:09 BST
    Reply Quote
    90 Human Warlock
    i have an issue on how to calculate some others staff since i dont know what to add first. lets say i have a weapon that has 100DPS then the stats are the following

+10%attack speed
    +10% damage
    the attack speed of the weapon is 1 attack per second.

what will the end damage of the weapon be. 121?
    Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
    Explain (256 characters max)
    Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]