Diablo® III

3.5 Million Sales in 24 hours.

90 Orc Hunter
Diablo III smashes the record books...

http://investor.activision.com/releasedetail.cfm?ReleaseID=676112

IRVINE, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)-- Blizzard Entertainment, Inc. today announced that as of the first 24 hours of Diablo® III's release, more than 3.5 million copies had been sold, setting the new all-time record for fastest-selling PC game.* That number does not include the more than 1.2 million players who received Diablo III as part of signing up for the World of Warcraft® Annual Pass promotion. Altogether, more than 4.7 million gamers around the world were poised to storm Sanctuary on day 1 of Diablo III's release -- representing the biggest PC-game launch in history.

As of the first week of the game's availability, that number had already grown to more than 6.3 million.* The above figures also do not include players in Korean Internet game rooms, where Diablo III has become the top-played game, achieving a record share of more than 39% as of May 22.†
Reply Quote
85 Human Death Knight
Simply outstanding!
Reply Quote
I feel sick
Reply Quote
yes big sucess just becouse we were waiting so many years, but beating game in 3-4 days... where you can get all what you want on AH, seems numbers of people playing will be drasticly short in one month.
Reply Quote
Poor guys.

- The game is short;
- Leveling system is broken (soo few diversity in higher levels);
- AH breaks the game;
- No end-game.
Edited by nomemory#2200 on 23/05/2012 14:26 BST
Reply Quote
not surprised , a lot of people were eagerly waiting this game.
Reply Quote
the game is short? im halway thru normal and 20 hours,i completed uncharted 3 in an afternoon.

5 pounds per hour is the acceptable rate.so for £35 you get 8 hours(thats it game over move on,nothing else to see)
Reply Quote
I've seen many criticism of this game on these forums, some of them even have some merit.

But short? Short? Diablo 3 is at least twice as long as Diablo 2. Act 1 alone is about equal to Act 1 and 2 of Diablo 2. And it has a lot more replay value, with 4 modes instead of 3, random events that you won't all have seen in the first playthrough, and lots of different interactions based on class and companion.

Anyway. Congratulations Blizzard on breaking all the records. You deserved it.
Reply Quote
Poor guys.

- The game is short;
- AH breaks the game;
- No end-game.

- Depends what you mean. Of course it's short if you play 10 hours a day. Any game is short that way. If you consider normal difficulty to be "the game", it's not even targeted at you so bugger off. Personally I've played it already more than 40 hours since release, and I'm not even close to finishing Inferno on my first and only char. And I'm going to level up other classes later on. I can easily see myself playing it hundreds of hours. Not exactly short, no?

- What's broken about it? The fact that you don't have to insert next to useless skill points every single level?

- I don't get why some people bother whining about the AH. Stop using it if you feel it breaks the game for you. All it really does is give the game a proper economy instead of tedious trading that D2 had.

- There's Inferno, there's tons of gearing to do, there's proper PvP coming in a patch. What else did you even expect?
Reply Quote
Poor guys.

- The game is short;
- AH breaks the game;
- No end-game.

- Depends what you mean. Of course it's short if you play 10 hours a day. Any game is short that way. If you consider normal difficulty to be "the game", it's not even targeted at you so bugger off. Personally I've played it already more than 40 hours since release, and I'm not even close to finishing Inferno on my first and only char. And I'm going to level up other classes later on. I can easily see myself playing it hundreds of hours. Not exactly short, no?

- What's broken about it? The fact that you don't have to insert next to useless skill points every single level?

- I don't get why some people bother whining about the AH. Stop using it if you feel it breaks the game for you. All it really does is give the game a proper economy instead of tedious trading that D2 had.

- There's Inferno, there's tons of gearing to do, there's proper PvP coming in a patch. What else did you even expect?

He expected WoW
Reply Quote
How anyone thinks this is a good thing....

*The publishers have too much power as it is.
*The game should have been reviewed shortly before release. Half the critic industry is wound round Activisions little finger any way but a few honest reviews would have gone to press. (I'm not saying that the critics are getting directly paid or any of that conspiracy theory nonsense but they certainly benefit from reviewing AAA titles well).
*The sales act as a glowing appraisal of Blizzards "always online" DRM which is a travesty of huge proportions. The damage it causes will only become clear in time once other devs and publishers have jumped on board.
*The game would have sold like hotcakes because of the hype generated any way so it was always going to be a storming success.
*Basically this is a corporate marketing masterclass and will only serve to further stagnate a market that is already starved of originality.

Diablo 3 isn't as bad as some AAA titles that have been released recently but it's not amazing either. Critics need to quash the fear around being honest about AAA titles like this.

Edit: I also personally think some legislation should be introduced that forces the publisher/developer to release a game for review shortly before release. I believe the amount of money in this industry these days demonstrates that it is in the publics interest to know what they're buying before the purchase is made. It's almost misleading when you withold your product because you know you'll earn extra revenue by doing so.
Edited by popej#2797 on 23/05/2012 15:03 BST
Reply Quote
I'm very afraid those numbers explain the zero-interest politics from Blizzard on this huge wave of complaints about the game.

Guess everybody lies somewhere on paradies island, beeing proud of themselfs selling a ruined game saga.
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
The rich get richer.
Reply Quote
This game is far from ruined. Me and my friends play it and we enjoy it immensely. You need to stop gripping to Diablo 2 and get with the times, okay friend?
Reply Quote
88 Blood Elf Paladin
Awesome game.

Maybe you should have played the Beta if you dont like it? Or wait a few days after release and collect feedback before buying it?

I dont get people crying about how bad the game is and how different it is from what they expected.

I dont go buying Barbies Dollhouse and later complain that I dont like fluffy pink Teddybears either.
Reply Quote
23/05/2012 14:25Posted by Horizon
yes big sucess just becouse we were waiting so many years, but beating game in 3-4 days... where you can get all what you want on AH, seems numbers of people playing will be drasticly short in one month.

Pleeeease. 4x18 hours is still 72 hours of gametime, which is way way more than most other overhyped games out there.
Reply Quote
Do people forget that you can beat Diablo 2 in a day? It wasn't some marathon of a game, and the only reason it seems longer is because people are used to having an Act 5. The original D2 didn't.

Sheesh, you really can't please some people.
Reply Quote
The game as it is is a masterpiece, I love it even more than Diablo 2 and can't and don't want to understand the criticism some have in the forum. But thats just a few people, compared to the 5 Million people playing this game a few upset posts in the forum are nothing.

People calling for refunds because they could beat the game within a few days. Well suckers guess what, you can beat every game (excluding MMO's of course) which comes out today within a few days easily, many games even in 1 day. So I think it's worth the money.
Reply Quote
didn't MW3 sold 6.5 millions in 24 hours?

anyway it was expected, Diablo 3 is one of the best games of recent years. if anything i feel sorry for the people who prefer to cry then realise how much fun this game is.
Reply Quote
So only a few copies sold then.

Holy bunny rabbits!, that is quite good indeed.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]