Diablo® III

Guide to the perplexed: why you can't login after patch

If you're reading this most chances are that you, like me, can't log in after patch because you originally downloaded the wrong client from your Battle.net account. In my case, I downloaded the default US client while intending on playing in the EU servers (a mistake many must have made unknowingly) - the US client installed on my PC updated with the newest patch however the EU servers weren't patched yet (and won't be until probably tomorrow) - therefore I couldn't log in (though I could log to the US patched servers, where I have no characters). It is the same problem if you have an EU client and trying to log in to a US server.

Safest solution is to simply uninstall the current US client (uninstall the game) and download the proper EU client (the option to choose the proper client is available if you look for it in your account) and reinstall the game. I know, I know - this is lame, especially if you have a limited broadband.
Blizzard should have made it more clear that downloading the right client is especially significant for cases such as this.

Alternate solution is to wait for all the servers to update with the new patch, however this won't guarantee the problem won't return in future updates - especially if there are patches unique to a certain region.
Edited by Pitfiend#1395 on 30/05/2012 01:24 BST
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
I'm doing so now, just a few GBs of patching left to do! And YES THANK YOU, I did not see the teeny weeny 'Change' button next to the client download list, what a !@#$. I assumed I was downloading the EU client as my account is on the EU servers and I was on the EU servers, there wasn't a hint of US about it. Lesson learned - care > eagerness
Reply Quote
19 Dwarf Paladin
I can't even get to the main menu. Stuck at the launcher with play greyed out and an error that goes "Failed to update tools". Whatever that means. Been like this for a few hours already. :/
Reply Quote
The worst thing about having to uncover these 'fixes' is the level of abuse from those who claim to be senior in battle-net clans and the like.
These professional gamers (check out that old doco on the scam a few gamers ran on Donkey Kong and you'll see how it is these loudmouth pro blizzard wanna-be bullies are actually protecting their income stream) are always ready to criticise the paying public for being stupid when Diablo 3's default settings cause a problem that the consumer should have known through some esp process or such.
Criticise us as much as you like because we don't live die & breath a rather derivative piece of bad coding, but remember this; that without us the millions who paid to play this game and are being denied the opportunity because we trusted this crew of rank incompetents to sell the game set up in a playable form, that we are paying for this huge mess that requires a chronic obsessive compulsive disorder to stay across.
Abuse us and when we go, as we all shall, see how much blizzard is prepared to spend on your disorder then, once the paying customers have left.
My game won't start it is in a loop and I don't accept that I should have to come back to these tiresome and unfriendly bulletin boards every day or so to keep it working. So I won't be paying blizzard for a game ever again.
Fortunately I have a good case on getting a refund in the country I live in so I at least have that alternative.
Edited by GeneVDebs#6719 on 29/05/2012 22:26 BST
Reply Quote
GeneVDebs - I hear you brother.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
WE DONT WANT TO RE-INSTALL A GAME BECAUSE OF BLIZZARD NOOB FAILS!
Reply Quote
Thank you for posting this Pitfiend.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
@GeneVDebs PREACH!! \m/

@Oakheart Like it or not, you may have to it depends. If you intend to play on the EU servers, DOWNLOAD THE EU CLIENT! Or you'll have this exact same issue in every upcoming patch.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Rogue
I have English(EU) version and still have this problem. And i guess I'm not the only one!
Reply Quote
Are you sure it was the default setting? I don't remember changing anything & I have the EU client.
Reply Quote
29/05/2012 22:43Posted by Azunh
I have English(EU) version and still have this problem. And i guess I'm not the only one!

I highly doubt that. Are you sure you have the English(EU) client? its not the server choice in the game's options, its the very client (game version) you download from the Battle.net account.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
29/05/2012 22:43Posted by Azunh

You're right, just finished downloading after 2 hours and it's still the same, what a sh*t. Oh well once it fixes eventually I won't have this issue for upcoming future patches, happy to know that at least
Reply Quote
just change langauge, download patch, change again. I HATE BLIZZARD
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
29/05/2012 22:50Posted by IceDragon
just change langauge, download patch, change again. I HATE BLIZZARD

Saw a post suggesting that, then saw a lot of feedback claiming it hadn't worked, I'm just gonna take the safe road and wait. That way I have nothing to lose except my time.
Reply Quote
29/05/2012 22:50Posted by Summersong
You're right, just finished downloading after 2 hours and it's still the same, what a sh*t. Oh well once it fixes eventually I won't have this issue for upcoming future patches, happy to know that at least

It worked perfect for me, I don't know what went wrong in your case.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
29/05/2012 22:53Posted by Pitfiend
It worked perfect for me, I don't know what went wrong in your case.

Me niether, I installed, then downloaded a 2.6GB (rounded up) patch, felt optimistic when it finished and got screwed over. I guess all I can do now is wait?
Reply Quote
If you cannot play or you keep getting update loop or other error:

01. Uninstall Diablo 3
02. Delete remaining Diablo Folder if there is one.

03. Download the proper EU client:

http://eu.media.battle.net.edgesuite.net/downloads/d3-installers/0d0f9268-6e92-4aa1-8556-8724e79f4833/Diablo-III-Setup-enGB.exe

04. Play the game.
05. Wasn't that hard, right?
Edited by Kedren#2116 on 29/05/2012 22:57 BST
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
If you cannot play or it give you a loop or error:

01. Uninstall Diablo 3
02. Delete remaining Diablo Folder if there is one.

03. Download the proper EU client:

http://eu.media.battle.net.edgesuite.net/downloads/d3-installers/0d0f9268-6e92-4aa1-8556-8724e79f4833/Diablo-III-Setup-enGB.exe

04. Play the game.

I just copied that and it setup the downloading of a client IDENTICALLY NAMED to the one I just installed - that didn't work. Surely this'll do the same.
Reply Quote
29/05/2012 22:55Posted by Summersong
Me niether, I installed, then downloaded a 2.6GB (rounded up) patch, felt optimistic when it finished and got screwed over. I guess all I can do now is wait?

Well there's your problem right there - maybe your CD is US client by default - you may very well need to download the entire 8GB EU client from your Battle.net account all over.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]