Diablo® III

Lifesteal seems weak..

Hello everybody,

I was looking thru gems and items and noticed that lifesteal seems very very weak in comparison to other modifiers. Lets look at gems first for example.
Im playing in Hell difficulty atm and ive had some cewl squage gems drop. Now lets look at what gems do for us:

Square ruby: helm: 17% extra xp
weapon: 13 damage (i know it says 13-26 but im not sure what 26 stands for since min and max damage on weapons is upgraded with 13 dmg every time i use it. The 26 never comes back anywhere :S but thats for another thread or sumthin)
other: 30 Strength

Square Emerald: helm: 17% more gold
weapon: 40% extra crit dmg
other: 30 dexterity

Square topaz: helm: 17% magic find
weapon: 50 dmg returned to attackers
other: 30 intelligence

All these bonusses so far seem decent imo.. But then:

Square amethyst: helm: 11% life
weapon: 35 life per hit
other: 30 vitality

WHAT DOES 35 LIFE PER HIT DO FOR U?? U can only get it on a weapon so its very hard to stack this effect. i get hit by targets from 2k to over 10k damage per hit so far in hell.. with 35 life per hit, i need to hit almost 60 times to get back that 2k damage i took from some smallish minion. that is ridicilously low compared to all other stat bonusses imo.

I searched the auction house for lifesteal on weapons, the best one i found was 2,2% of damage converted to health. Greaaat.. with 5k damage i get about 110 life back per hit with that. On top of my awesome 35 from the amethyst. 145 life per hit. im playing a deamon hunter and i feel squishy with my 15k health. 145 life does nothing for me. When i face small opponents, i usually dont lose much health and the health globe here and there keeps me on full health. But then i meet some elites. They pretty much 2-3 shot me nearly every time if i get in range and tell me is it really that useful that i get about 1000 life back in the meantime?

Ofc i understand im not supposed to be able to stand there and tank them, that would be out of wack, but in order for me to do that ill need about 40% lifesteal so that i would heal for 2000 per hit. then i probably am able to tank 3 blues that each deal 5k damage to me per hit. The difference is quite big as u can see.

Looking forward to reading ur opinions,
Pants
Reply Quote
Life steal broke the pve aspect of diablo 2 for physical users, since they could regain their full health in a few hits depending on damage/life steal amounts. most melee classes had at least 6% LL and some pve's even had 15-25% depending on build and class.

In d3 you dont have that option to survive on lifesteal, its merely there to heal you a bit but not to sustain your life. Also there are higher values than 2.2% ive seen 3.20 i believe and considering you can reach 50kish dps in all out dps specs/builds, 3% life steal + the spell bonus % used pr ability would grant you a good amount of LL, especially against AOE fights.
Reply Quote
Life steal broke the pve aspect of diablo 2 for physical users, since they could regain their full health in a few hits depending on damage/life steal amounts. most melee classes had at least 6% LL and some pve's even had 15-25% depending on build and class.

In d3 you dont have that option to survive on lifesteal, its merely there to heal you a bit but not to sustain your life. Also there are higher values than 2.2% ive seen 3.20 i believe and considering you can reach 50kish dps in all out dps specs/builds, 3% life steal + the spell bonus % used pr ability would grant you a good amount of LL, especially against AOE fights.

I understand ur not supposed to rely entirely on lifeleech, but my problem atm is that the max amount of lifesteal i can reach will in most cases not be sufficient for me to tank an additional hit if i get cornered for example. Its nice that u can leech back a couple of thousand life, but if the mob deals 10k dmg it wont matter if u have 2k health without lifesteal or 7k becos u had lifesteal. he still kills u with the next attack. This is a specific example, but i feel like it occurs way more often than the opposite.

Also the amethyst bonus could be doubled and still not matter a whole lot. 35 or 70 hp per hit in hell difficulty means nothing if the weakest thing hits for at least 2k. Since the amethyst adds STATIC lifesteal, i think it will become less and less strong later in the game, but attack damage converted to health will ofc get more important. Which indicates to me that a buff to the static lifeleech of the amethyst wouldnt break anything, simply make it NOT useless ;)

Looking at the numbers the radiant star adds 600 life per hit. U mentioned 50k dps, 600 would translate to 1,2% of ur damage. Im not sure how many sockets weapons in inferno have, i have never seen more than 1, but even with 2 sockets u would get 2,4% lifesteal. add that nice 3% to that from ur weapon and u have 5% lifesteal. 5% of 50k is 2500. Now that looks like its more decent than at lower levels, but that still doesnt justify the hilariously low amount on the best gems that drop for me in hell: 35 life. that basically means lifeleech is useless until u reach top notch gear. that makes me a little sad :(
Reply Quote
I think the number are deceptive personally, i mean they are lot of groups of mobs, and most abilties hit more than one mob.

DH especially can manipluate the mobs, pull, fall back, drop caltrop and you can lure and mass of mob into a long line, fire shots that go through mobs and you hitting like 10+ mobs at once, so you stealing 10x more life in the process too.
Reply Quote
And lifeleech is nerfed by 80% in inferno. ll is simply a crap stat that does nothing for your survival and there are usually globes to pick up after a fight. life on hit is another question though and with some attackspeed and high life on hit you can get some sick healing.
Reply Quote
27/05/2012 04:48Posted by LillRutger
And lifeleech is nerfed by 80% in inferno. ll is simply a crap stat that does nothing for your survival and there are usually globes to pick up after a fight. life on hit is another question though and with some attackspeed and high life on hit you can get some sick healing.

Why exactly is lifeleech 80% nerfed in inferno? coz of armor values or what?

Anyway, it feels strange to me that in a lategame scenario, static numbers exceed % based lifesteal. That is a first in many games that i played that had any form of lifesteal :o Feels so counter intuitive.
Reply Quote
you dont get it OP. in Inferno, 80% from that 2% life steal is taken.
lets say that your dmg would heal you 100 HP per hit on normal mode. on inferno, you would only get 20 HP from the same dmg dealt.
Life on hit is the best life leech option in game.
lets say you heal 500 to 700 HP per hit with life on hit.
if you want to equal that with % life leech, would mean that you have to hit with over 150.000 per hit. every hit. but you dont.
and keep in mind that there are weapons with over 800 life on hit with slot so i can make it over 1000 life on hit, and can hit up to 3 hits per second.
that would mean 3000 hp per second.
PS: not all the skills gives you the same life on hit.
there is a chart on the web.
AOE's gives you less and different AOE's gives you different HP from life on hit..
Reply Quote
cewl, tnx for the info, ill start looking into that. Getting further and further into hell, only a matter of time till inferno shows up ;)
Reply Quote

I understand ur not supposed to rely entirely on lifeleech, but my problem atm is that the max amount of lifesteal i can reach will in most cases not be sufficient for me to tank an additional hit if i get cornered for example. Its nice that u can leech back a couple of thousand life, but if the mob deals 10k dmg it wont matter if u have 2k health without lifesteal or 7k becos u had lifesteal. he still kills u with the next attack. This is a specific example, but i feel like it occurs way more often than the opposite.

Also the amethyst bonus could be doubled and still not matter a whole lot. 35 or 70 hp per hit in hell difficulty means nothing if the weakest thing hits for at least 2k. Since the amethyst adds STATIC lifesteal, i think it will become less and less strong later in the game, but attack damage converted to health will ofc get more important. Which indicates to me that a buff to the static lifeleech of the amethyst wouldnt break anything, simply make it NOT useless ;)

Looking at the numbers the radiant star adds 600 life per hit. U mentioned 50k dps, 600 would translate to 1,2% of ur damage. Im not sure how many sockets weapons in inferno have, i have never seen more than 1, but even with 2 sockets u would get 2,4% lifesteal. add that nice 3% to that from ur weapon and u have 5% lifesteal. 5% of 50k is 2500. Now that looks like its more decent than at lower levels, but that still doesnt justify the hilariously low amount on the best gems that drop for me in hell: 35 life. that basically means lifeleech is useless until u reach top notch gear. that makes me a little sad :(

Nah even then you have to spent millions in making that 1 radiant star gem that have +600 life per hit. Even then, most mobs 1 hit you in act 3 - act 4 so life leech, life per hit etc...won't help you.
Reply Quote
So Bloodlust that give 3% life of dmg done as a barbarian does not work in Inferno?

I hate playing a barbarian as a kiter.
Reply Quote
I don't think this is a topic that goes into the "Crafting and Artisians" forums.

Anyways! It seems like life on hit is the way to go in inferno, because of the 80% nerf, though I belive that some items can have lifesteal but not life on hit on them and vice versa, but I'm not 100% on that. So if youre going for a "life leech build" it might still be an idea to get lifesteal on those items that cannot have life on hit!

Also I found this awesome guide about this topic on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33UDzGZTHPI

Hope that helped. :)
Reply Quote
Tnx ^^, cewl guide.

Also ive reached inferno act 2 and i have to admit, getting 1hit is ehh a major pain in the behind. Pretty much any mob can do it. 30k health 2250 armor DH is food for them puppies. Also the elites are zomgwtfbbq like expected. Lifesteal doesnt seem weak, it seems pointless atm. :(
oh well gotta put those farming gloves on and grind meself some better gear!
Reply Quote
So Bloodlust that give 3% life of dmg done as a barbarian does not work in Inferno?

I hate playing a barbarian as a kiter.

I just tested it and Bloodlust appears not to be affected by the difficulty level.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]