Diablo® III

Diablo III Launch Update

Community Manager
Diablo Players:

We’d like to extend a very sincere thank you to everyone who joined the global Diablo III launch celebrations this week, as well as to everyone who was ready to jump into Sanctuary the moment the game went live.

To that end, we’d also like to say that we’ve been humbled by your enthusiasm -- and we sincerely regret that your crusade to bring down the Lord of Terror was thwarted not by mobs of demons, but by mortal infrastructure. As many of you are aware, technical issues occurring within hours after the game's launch led to players experiencing error messages and difficulty logging in. These issues cropped up again last night for the Americas and Europe servers. Despite very aggressive projections, our preparations for the launch of the game did not go far enough.

We’ve been monitoring the game 24/7 and have applied several optimizations to help our systems better weather the global rush. As of late last night, specifically 11:50 PM PDT on May 15, all systems have been online and running relatively smoothly. We’re continuing to monitor performance globally and will be taking further measures as needed to ensure a positive experience for everyone. This includes some maintenance to implement additional improvements for each region.

In order to make sure everything is continuing to run as it should, we’ve decided to move out our target launch for the real-money auction house beyond our original estimated date of May 22. We’ll post further updates on that in the near future.

Aside from the tremendous number of players simultaneously logging in to the game, one of the launch-day service issues was linked to the achievement system. Some players began to notice early on that achievements were either not being earned properly, or not being saved between multiple logins. We’re investigating this issue and will provide a specific update as soon as possible.

We greatly appreciate everyone’s support, and we want to sincerely apologize for the difficulties many of you encountered on day one. Please visit the Battle.net Support site or Support forums for the latest service-related updates or for help in troubleshooting any technical issues you may be having downloading, installing, or while playing the game.

Thank you again for your patience while we reinforce the gates of Sanctuary and further strengthen it for your onslaught.

Respectfully,
Blizzard Entertainment
Reply Quote
Any chance you can (at any level) explain what the problem was? Was the server just so flooded with requests that it wasn't allowing anyone on? Was it a software problem that slipped by? Or maybe a hardware problem of the servers themselves? What I really want to know is, how predictable this might have been, what broke down that allowed this crippling problem to exist in first place? You seemed to handle WoW expac launches well, I can't imagine the D3 one was very different.

I know you guys had a LOT of good testing done with the open beta, so I really expected the launch to be smooth as butter on a babies bottom. It didn't impact me too significantly, but I know a LOT of people were less than excited by the turn of events.
Reply Quote
Oh look. Bashiok. On EU. Hi!
Too bad B.net 2.0 split USA/EU forums.
I enjoyed your troll-ish posts on Diablo 2 forums. Lol.

Anyhow I hope your tech guys can fix all rampant problems with disconnections soon.
I can't play for 15 minutes without getting Error 3007 and I'm not alone on this.
Edited by LastDay#2605 on 17/05/2012 05:59 BST
Reply Quote
You're welcome!!!!!!!111
Reply Quote
thanks
Edited by ztooG#2259 on 17/05/2012 06:46 BST
Reply Quote
!@#$ happens and no-one in their right mind could expect that it will run flawlessly since 00:00:01.
I still wouldn't mind to know what exactly happened - as Kindlin here said.

The game is awesome, btw!
Edited by Grellenort#2231 on 17/05/2012 08:12 BST
Reply Quote
Since yesterday login goes smoothly. You delivered a hell of a game. Congrats.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Death Knight
17/05/2012 08:20Posted by johnnydgood

Smoothly? You mean 460 ms lag in Single player? And Quantum leaping mob packs?
Reply Quote
I just played the game to see how the latency would be early morningish (8:54am here) annd for the first time the gameplay was perfect. My max latency was around 90 tops, and my lowest being 60, but overall around 66-74 and that was during big mob fights.

Very pleased atm, i just hope it stays this silky smooth when i get back from college, cause if it does well done for finally fixing the servers :)

P.S My latency used to be in the 300's shooting up to 2000 during mob fights.
Edited by Kotarija#2334 on 17/05/2012 08:57 BST
Reply Quote
17/05/2012 08:20Posted by johnnydgood

No problems detected here, either. I have fallen in love all over again; I think my boyfriend needs to find himself something else to occupy his time. ;P so thank YOU!
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warrior
There seems to be issues with the AH, reported by many players.. You should look into that also :P
Reply Quote
Thank you Bashiok, thank you Blizzard. I am extremely satisfied by the game. The issues you had are minor and only in the first hours of the first day. Good luck with the game and see you in hell
Reply Quote
Thanks for a great game, Blizzard, but please... fix the servers. I'm still having crazy connection problems, and no, I don't have a bad connection or live in a 3rd world country. Most of my friends are having the same issues.

It's now the 17th, and we get disconnected every 10-15 minutes and have nasty lag spikes every now and then. And the AH isn't working either for a lot of us on the EU region.

Great game, horrible, horrible "always online" execution.
Reply Quote
No worries. I for once expected server issues :-)
It is really not THAT bad, and the community just overreacted.

The game itself is great, especially the cinematics!
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
To the Developers:

I’d like to extend a very sincere thank you for this game. ;D
It `s just really awesome. People who loved Diablo 2 will love Diablo 3. Developers made a really, really good job! Thanks for this ! :)
Edited by Sera#2217 on 17/05/2012 10:44 BST
Reply Quote
Greatest game EVER! :) I fell in love with the 3rd Diablo.. again as with the previous versions.

Thank you for this game, Blizzard! Launch problems will be forgotten...;)

We have our Diablo III
:)
Reply Quote
17/05/2012 10:21Posted by Bato
It is really not THAT bad, and the community just overreacted.

The game is great when its working properly, but don't say crap like the community overreacted. Not being able to log in and play on release day sucks tremendously and latency is still pretty bad at peak hours (I get between 300-500 latency). My latency only drops down to 90-120ish after 1AM CEST. Wondering how well things will be in the weekend, hopefully server performance will be improved by then.

Like I said, the game is great when working properly, but I'm not going to pretend that everything is running smoothly when that simply isn't true.
Reply Quote
Just want to say how pleased I am with the game, I find it EXTREMELY difficult to logout lol.

Issues at launch were to be expected and so I'm not all that bothered as long as you get all my achievements back to me :P

Best game I have played in many a year, certainly this generation, and I didn't think anything would take Mass Effect 1/2/3's spots.

Now to go play 15hrs straight <3!
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]