Diablo® III

Vitality vs. Armour vs. Resistance vs. Dodge

I'd like to know which one of these ultimnately comes on top. Obviously haveing a combination of the fouris a hood idea but which stat is most likely to give you the highest tankability? I don't know what percentage of general enemies use elemental abilities which would therefore make Resistnace more viable. Another thing iv noticed is i havent seen any single element resistance (such as an item with +10 fire resistance) which seems odd since then there might aswell only be one combineing element (magic as opose to physical). The monk has a passive that raises all his resistances to match his highest which appears utterly useless if everything is done as a total intelligence resistance percentage. Im only into nightmare so it could be that these appear later. Any help on the matter would be appreciated. Thanks!

Eddited to add Dodge as a variable. Also iv now seen items with single resistances to elements. Thanks for the posts!
Edited by RockyRabbit#1666 on 01/06/2012 17:40 BST
Reply Quote
As far as i understand of the endgame inferno difficulty.
As a Wizard myself it seems like the only thing that matters is dmg. im only in act 1 inferno, but ive heard (seen in videos) that mobs in act 2-4 dmg between 50-200k+ dmg a hit, so i guess it doesnt make much different how much vitality you have... it seems kinda stupid, but as i said i only know of it from anyone els but myself, so i could be wrong.
Reply Quote
There are stats like +10% fire res.

About the topic:

i thinks its hard to say which stat is the best, because e.g the effect of armor will reduce as you stack more armor. Lets say you have 100 armor which is 10% less dmg, that doesnt mean that you have 20%less dmg when you have 200 armor. I think it will be the same with resistance.
vitality however gives you constant vitality boost and can even be further boosted with %life.
So in the end i think the best way to go would be stack armor and resistance until it wont raise that much and then just try to get as much vit as possible, because that stat wont get bad and will be more viable as you get more armor/resistance and %life
Reply Quote
23/05/2012 21:15Posted by RockyRabbit
I'd like to know which one of these ultimnately comes on top. Obviosuy haveing a combination of the three is a hood idea but which stat is most likely to give you the highest tankability? I don't know what percentage of general enemies use elemental abilities which would therefore make Resistnace more viable. Another thing iv noticed is i havent seen any single element resistance (such as an item with +10% fire resistance) which seems odd since then there might aswell only be one combineing element (magic as opose to physical). The monk has a passive that raises all his resistances to match his highest which appears utterly useless if everything is done as a total intelligence resistance percentage. Im only into nightmare so it could be that these appear later. Any help on the matter would be appreciated. Thanks!


You're missing a very important stat, Dodge, because as far as i know dodge works againsts spells and completely negates an attack (and spells). And therefore plays a major role in tanking even if its RNG limited.
But staying directly on topic i would say armor is the most superior stat you can stack as thats in my experience the stat (of the 3) which prevents the most amount of damage, next comes resistances and lastly vitality.

But this also depends alot on what you want to tank, since dodge seems more effective against heavy hitters while high vita builds works great against fast attackers such as leapers act 1.

Either way, getting a good amount of dodge, block, armor and res would probably be your best bet, leaving vitality for last but not forgotten.
Reply Quote
Shooting for mid-vitality with + all resist is what you're aiming to get. Even at a lowly 500 to all resists you're negating 54% of damage taken from all sources, armor on the other hand is something that naturally comes with gear and should (in my opinion) compliment the other two more involved stats and should not be focused on. I have a Monk and a wizard in A2 INF
Edited by CDriVe#1877 on 23/05/2012 21:41 BST
Reply Quote
i would say vitality is the most useless in the game it feel like the more u have the more mob damage you, my old build was int and vit 55k . hp 1 hit from a mob = 20k
now i have more dps and only 9k hp mob only do like 2-4k damage
as for resistance i also dont see much used in it also ,laser 1 hit k.o boom throwing 1 hit k.o ice boom,fire trap ...
the only thing i see and might be useful is damage reduction , melee damage reduction and missile reduction
since i don't play Barbarian or DH i guess dodge and block might also be useful IDK
Reply Quote
fyi if you didnt know yet, mobs in act 2 inferno+ ignore resistance armor and dodge
yw
Reply Quote
There are stats like +10% fire res.

About the topic:

i thinks its hard to say which stat is the best, because e.g the effect of armor will reduce as you stack more armor. Lets say you have 100 armor which is 10% less dmg, that doesnt mean that you have 20%less dmg when you have 200 armor. I think it will be the same with resistance.
vitality however gives you constant vitality boost and can even be further boosted with %life.
So in the end i think the best way to go would be stack armor and resistance until it wont raise that much and then just try to get as much vit as possible, because that stat wont get bad and will be more viable as you get more armor/resistance and %life


You are actually wrong on the armor thing.

Example:
2000 armor gives you a 50% reduction of all damage sources. That's 50% less damage than with 0 armor.
4000 armor gives you a 75% reduction of all damage sources. That's 50% less damage than with 2000 armor.

So, 2000 armor is the same whether you have 0 armor, 3000 armor or 6000. It just seems like you are not getting the same because the number is different. [+50% on first case, +25% on second]

Of course you get to the point where extra HP is worth more than extra armor [or extra resistances], but not because you are reducing less damage per armor point, it's because you are getting a stat that affects directly your total effective health.
Reply Quote
fyi if you didnt know yet, mobs in act 2 inferno+ ignore resistance armor and dodge
yw

The latest hot fix added block to the mix.
Reply Quote
Thanks for the info everyone; and yeah i forgot to mention dodge which is of course highly useful.
Reply Quote
fyi if you didnt know yet, mobs in act 2 inferno+ ignore resistance armor and dodge
yw

The latest hot fix added block to the mix.


Do you have a source to that?
Reply Quote
I am starting hell just now, so I don't know anything about inferno but if it's true that there's no mitigation there from Act II onwards it seems really cheap for me.

I was expecting that if I get to play inferno I'll need to play guerilla game as a monk. Hit and run basically. But it will be next to impossible if mobs there ignore all damage mitigation, since I don't really belive thate are people out there who can play this game and avoid ever getting hit.

Strange design decision.
Reply Quote
for infernoas melee I would say you need a base "hp pool" -> than focusing on "all resistance" and the rest
Reply Quote
Why doing only HP?
Try to get all items with VIT+STR+DEX and some % resistances.
Reply Quote
[quote]
You are actually wrong on the armor thing.

Example:
2000 armor gives you a 50% reduction of all damage sources. That's 50% less damage than with 0 armor.
4000 armor gives you a 75% reduction of all damage sources. That's 50% less damage than with 2000 armor.

So, 2000 armor is the same whether you have 0 armor, 3000 armor or 6000. It just seems like you are not getting the same because the number is different. [+50% on first case, +25% on second]

Of course you get to the point where extra HP is worth more than extra armor [or extra resistances], but not because you are reducing less damage per armor point, it's because you are getting a stat that affects directly your total effective health.


Ahem... if the first 2000 armor give you 50% reduce and the second give you additional 25% instead of 50% then ARMOR has a "diminishing returns" effect and is therefore more useless the more you get?
Therefore there has to be a softcap!

Or am I missing something here?
Reply Quote
Ahem... if the first 2000 armor give you 50% reduce and the second give you additional 25% instead of 50% then ARMOR has a "diminishing returns" effect and is therefore more useless the more you get?
Therefore there has to be a softcap!

Or am I missing something here?


If its diminishing returns then the effect must be multiplicative, rather than additive. So 6000 wouldn't be 12.5%, but 8000 would be. So above 4000 armor sounds impractical, but since you don't really need to focus on armor, but the stats on the equipment, you'll probably reach a reasonable level of armor just by trying to raise the other stats.
Reply Quote
24/05/2012 08:52Posted by DWÄZ
for infernoas melee I would say you need a base "hp pool" -> than focusing on "all resistance" and the rest


As far as act 1 goes inferno I only have 18 000 HP, 13k dps, no mantra etc. lowest res is 250 and armor about 6k. As you can see my hp is very low, but I have no problems really. As an example, butcher doesn't kill me with any of his hits in 1 hit.
Edited by Dominuz#1227 on 24/05/2012 09:48 BST
Reply Quote
The best tanking stat is, was and will ever be vitality.

Armor is a great way of mitigating damage, but doesnt influence magical dmg.
Magical resistance is the same as armor just the other way round.

Dodge is pure gambling. Ofc you can potentially dodge that 5 million damage spell, but even with 99% dodge chance... theres still that 1% chance to not dodge a hit and instantly die.

Vitality on the other hand is the best allround stat. Though it doesnt mitigate any damage, vitalitiy grants you time. On top of that, vitalitiy is the only stat not affected by DR - x vitality = y life, no matter how much vitality you already have... armor is always becoming worth less the more you stack it.

But actually... stacking only vit is just as useless as stacking only resi, stacking only dodge or stacking anything - balance is what makes a tank.
Reply Quote
85 Gnome Rogue
1910
23/05/2012 21:51Posted by Katayoku
fyi if you didnt know yet, mobs in act 2 inferno+ ignore resistance armor and dodge

Is this really true? I'd expect lowered efficiency (since armor tooltip shows damage reduction vs. same level mob), but flat-out ignoring?
Reply Quote
The best tanking stat is, was and will ever be vitality.

Armor is a great way of mitigating damage, but doesnt influence magical dmg.
Magical resistance is the same as armor just the other way round.

Dodge is pure gambling. Ofc you can potentially dodge that 5 million damage spell, but even with 99% dodge chance... theres still that 1% chance to not dodge a hit and instantly die.

Vitality on the other hand is the best allround stat. Though it doesnt mitigate any damage, vitalitiy grants you time. On top of that, vitalitiy is the only stat not affected by DR - x vitality = y life, no matter how much vitality you already have... armor is always becoming worth less the more you stack it.

But actually... stacking only vit is just as useless as stacking only resi, stacking only dodge or stacking anything - balance is what makes a tank.


so many fallacies in one post i dont know where to start
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]