Diablo® III

Stuttering Fix: Disable CPU Power Saving Features

This is valid for PCs as well as Laptops. (get it stickied that's why i did this thread)

Laptops are identified by hardware model numbers usually have suffix letter "M" which means "Mobile".
Power Saving and other BIOS (motherboard firmware) features can be manually disabled on most PC motherboards, depending on the COST, cheaper it is, less options you have. Laptop motherboards have the least options and many of them cannot be set without the help of ThrottleStop.

PLEASE NOTE BEFORE YOU POST:
  • - This is not a fix for everyone for everything. Many of you have different kinds of stuttering, fps drops and combinations.
  • - Some of the stuttering might be caused by bad drivers, this also usually produces sound corruption.
  • -This is not a fix for the genuine game-GPU-driver related FPS Drop bug that was shown in the video where FPS drops by more than 50% if you hover your mouse highlighting NPCs, players ..etc
  • -This is NOT for internet latency (ping) issues and other server errors , please DO NOT dilute this thead with those issues, while a similar sypmptom, they are NOT related.
  • You must identify what problem you have, you must know if it's really stuttering and it's not the ping, you can check that with blizzard's faqs and guides how to do traceroute and ping tests.

The biggest problem handling these technical issues is the confusion, the number of false reports who may not have the same problem. If a solution doesn't fix your problem, but it fixes others, then you don't have the same cause, and you'll need other clues to find it, it's not that easy. Getting your PC hardware and windows to be running stable and operating properly is the first task to eliminate these factors, it might be an issue all on your side, as we suspect, but I myself don't have any of these, nor the fps drop that was shown to be a game bug. I have tried by could not repilcated any of these problems, however now that I can see it's really about CPU power features i can try to enable it and see ... however i have high-end custom built PC that i did and ... pretty much a geek here so i don't have problems with gaming ... i didn't have an error or issues with my own PCs in like ... 2 years, except broken ATI drivers at Rage launch, confirmed that wasn't my problem.
    ------------------------------------------------------------

/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
    Disabling the CPU Power Saving Features and other advanced settings.

ThrottleStop: Warning, This program requires advanced knowledge, and you need to learn to use it first. I have seen some people just moments ago, launching it and trying to play, nope it's not that easy as gamebooster(which isn't even advanded at all). You can see the program is in (monitoring only) mode when you first launch it, it doesn't do anything by it self, if you

Compatability: If the program launches, it's successful. If the CPU is not supported, the program doesn't launch and displays error message. It should work on most laptops, it was build for that purpose. But for example it doesn't support "AMD Athlon II X3 445" which is a low-end desktop PC i have at home for multimedia only.

Download: http://www.techpowerup.com/downloads/2090/ThrottleStop-4.00.html

Install: Extract ALL of the files in the archive into a folder.

ThrottleStop Usage Guide:
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/hardware-components-aftermarket-upgrades/531329-throttlestop-guide.html

///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    ////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
    Bonus Solution:
    Check for bad drivers causing system latency.

DPC Latency checker: Runs by it self, keep an eye on it many times, minimize / alt-tab out of the game to see any big spikes, but bad drivers will cause latency to spike always, so you can detect it even while in desktop not doing anything.

Download: http://www.thesycon.de/deu/latency_check.shtml

Create separate thread for posting your results if there are huge red spikes, other people might help you finding the causing driver, or go to other tech sites, blizzard might not be able to help you on this one, they don't have that kind of access to PCs, unless there's a way to pinpoint which driver is causing, i didn't use this a long time, 1 year ago i did and i forgot how i found out which driver it was.

////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
    Bonus Solution:
    HDD activity reducing possible fixes:

This is speclation on my part, these services would definitely reduce random HDD seeking and loading in background, worth a try definitely, but don't blame me if it doesn't work for you.

I myself already have all of these disabled by default when I built and installed my PC.
    Please note I have win7x64utlimate

- disable pagefile (advanced, you need to monitor your "Commit" usage in task manager)
    - disable Windows Search service (go to Services in win7 or with XP type services.msc in run command)
    - disable Windows Update service
    - disable Windows Backup service (this service exists in win7 only afaik)
    - disable Volume Shadow Copy service (window 7 only again afaik)
    - disable Windows Defender
    - disable Windows Firewall (router firewall is enough anyways)
    - disable Windows Media Player Network Sharing service (useless bs)

You need to stop the services manually, then right click > properties> select "disable" from drop down menu and apply ok, that way it won't start again when you reboot, you might even like to reboot so it cleans the RAM completely. You can always re-enable them again, try to remember their default settings "manual" or "automatic (delay)"

You can also set some of them to manual so they start if they're called upon, but most of these I listed here i have disabled, some of services are started by other services triggering them so that's why disabled.

More solutions might be added later, there are many things that keep HDD busy, can't recall of all of them right now.

////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
    Bonus Solution:
    Modify Multimedia Class Scheduler service settings
    (not tested if it does affect or not)

This was a known stuttering solution in valve's games, Windows 7 only. Might be good to try it.

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1043281

* Open regedit
    * Go to: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Multimedia\SystemProfile
    * There will be an entry for network performance throttling, default value is 10; set it to FFFFFFFF hex (willl look like 0xFFFFFFFF to the right of the entry)
    * Reboot

This is important that you do not disable this service as it is somewhat important, so you need to modify the registery. Warning anything wrong done in registery can ruin your windows installation, in worse case scenario, beyond repair.

/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Please keep this thread clean and only discuss for more possible fixes that could be added, none of them are useless, by trying a lot of them we eliminate them, at least we know a 100 ways it doesn't work, and a 100 times closer to finding more clues and solving it ;)

///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

CPU POWER SAVING FEATURES IN BIOS:

Derived from PCs - may also be valid for laptops (tought it may be under a different name)

These two examples below are from my PCs here at my house, All of my motherboards are from Gigabyte and have PHOENIX AWARD bios

There are most newest UEFI BIOS motherboards that I do not have, I do not know names of those functions there or if they changed or not, most probably they're the same, but you'll need to navigate through the GUI, i doubt a lot of people have those, they're super high end because they're quite new, and expensive.

Start Computer from shutdown or reboot > Press DELETE a lot > blue BIOS Screen appears

Low End - or Older Models: (AMD Based)
    In biso screen go to:
    > Advanced BIOS Features:
    • AMD C1E Support
    • AMD K8 Cool & Quiet support

Set them to "Disabled" it's probably set to "Auto" by default. "Auto" is a lot of times just a "default" option as by the manufacturer with is usually enabled, but depends on what it is, for this case it is definitely enabled.

High End - newer models of motherboard: (Intel Based)
    > MB Intelligent Tweaker > Advanced Frequency Settings > Advanced CPU Core Features
    • - CPU Enhanced Halt (C1E) (Award Bios)
    • - CPU EIST Function (Award Bios)
    • - Enhanced Intel Speed Step (full name for "EIST", names differ in bios models/versions)
    • - Intel Turbo Boost (automatic overclocking, bad idea)
    • - C3/C6 State Support
    • - Intel C-State (AMI Bios)
    • - Intel EIST (AMI Bios)

AMI Bios:
    http://pcper.com/images/reviews/725/bios15.jpg
    I found something from AMI Bios and says "Intel C-State" i don't know what it is i never saw it, but it's probably a different name for some of these power saver features.

Again, i don't know much about AMI, don't know how many GUI changes it went through.

AWARD older:
    http://images.hardwarecanucks.com/image/mac/reviews/gigabyte/EP45UD3P/bios8.jpg

AWARD Newer:
    http://xbitlabs.com/images/mainboards/ga-p67a-ud4-b3/bios_cpu.png

I'll have to look for Asus stuff in AMI Bios since i never had Asus motherboard, and a loooong time since i came acroos AMI bios gui, but it's not that different, just search.
    Edited by Stewox#1261 on 23/05/2012 13:26 BST
    Reply Quote
    22/05/2012 19:31Posted by Semu
    Holy cow , ThrottleStop is working! I get zero lag on a friggin laptop @ max settings! Blizz need to seriously check this out and fix the CPU issue, since this is definitely the source of problems.

BLIZZARD CANNOT AND WILL NOT PROVIDE HACKS THAT CHANGE YOUR BIOS SETTINGS HOW MANY TIMES DO I HAVE TO TELL YOU .. IT'S NOT THEIR PROBLEM AND NOT THEIR CAUSE AND THEY AREN'T TO BE BLAMED FOR IT.
    PC Software does not have that much access unlike on consoles where developers are allowed to do much more with the hardware because there's no legal barriers and much much less technical barriers such as 10 different firmwares, 10 different memory architectures, 10 different this and that.

It's the stupid PC and laptop manufacturers, DELL, HP, Lenovo, they CONFIGURE these settings on Assembled PCs and Laptops, if you want to go deeper, the DEFAULTs are made from the hardware manufacturers (SUPPLIERS) which Gigabyte, Asus, MSI, Biostar, whether the assemblers (end user companies such as DELL, HP, Lenovo, Alienware, [insert branded computer manufacturer] ...etc)

That's why I NEVER BUY THOSE, I build CUSTOM PCs part-by-part by my own HANDS. If you don't know any of these things it's your fault that's because the MANUFACUTRER has DISCLAIMERS that they do not STAND LIABLE FOR INCORRECT SETTINGS.

Then it might not even be Blizzard's problem IF it's game problem , because SO MUCH OF THE GAME is dependant on NON-OPTIMAL PROPRIETARY GPU Drivers.

Blizzard is THE LAST to be blamed for ... those are all possibles that can be blamed for BEFORE blizzard:
    Dell, (end user assembler, they are the last ones to touch all the configs)
    Alienware, (end user assembler, they are the last ones to touch all the configs)
    Lenovo, (end user assembler, they are the last ones to touch all the configs)
    HP, (end user assembler, they are the last ones to touch all the configs)
    Acer (end user assembler, manufacturer, they are the last ones to touch all the configs)

Suppliers (PC mostly):
    Gigabyte, (motherboards , they own phoenix award BIOS)
    Phoenix Award (bios)
    Asus (motherboards, usually AMI bios)
    AMI - American Megatrends (bios)
    Biostar, (motherboards)
    ATI/AMD, (proprietary drivers, laptop graphics)
    Nvidia, (proprietary drivers, laptop graphics)
    DFI (motherboards)
    MSI (motherboards)
    eVGA (motherboards)
    Via (motherboards)
    AsRock (motherboards)
    Acer (motherboards)

LIST OF LAPTOP MOTHERBOARD MANUFACTURERS:
    http://dir.indiamart.com/impcat/laptop-motherboard.html

Talk to them chinese, taiwanese and others in asia why they set default settings wrong... it's not blizzards fault, for sakes of sakes.

You don't have to buy a branded PC, but parts from suppliers directly at retail, build your own PC, you get all the papers and manuals, warranty, reserve parts. It's not that hard you just need to put effort and time into it, would cost you much less.

That's because LAPTOPS are not for gaming, secondly, those companies (except Alienware who does a better job but still we can see reports alienware pc got this fixed) don't even MAKE assembled PCs for games, those are the most crappiest pieces of hardware money can buy, they leave all settings default or let the system to automatically, you should never let AUTOMATION to take over the work, it's bad, the automation software in current BIOS isn't that advanced that it would detect super-duper proper settings for your machine.

Most people run around with improper settings, the whole market is a CLUSTER!@#$. That's why console games work better, it's all controlled and closed system, never changes, well nintendo does the best job there, you can see how many issues PS360 had ... crappy microsoft engineers, don't blame developers, blame the STUPID MANUFACTURERS.

Whatever, just stop blaming blizzard for sakes because it just spready negativity for no reason.
    Edited by Stewox#1261 on 22/05/2012 20:38 BST
    Reply Quote
    100 Human Paladin
    youre wrong Stewox, this is a game issue, not because of manufacturers..

http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/4209934141
    Reply Quote
    Sure this might fix it, but let me tell you something:
    For all the god damn wall of text you just wrote, it seems you sure are defending them. Sure it might not be blizzards problem, but the point remains, if I go to buy any other product, I am 100% sure most of them will not have this issue with stuttering therefore by this logic buying other products is more acceptable to me as a consumer because I will not get issues with them. When I bought this product, I didn't think I would get such issues, therefore blizzard must've contacted all the manufacturers etc and sorted this out. I am not saying it's entirely their fault, however they do not even acknowledge that the stuttering exists. And for your record I did not have this in Beta, and I have the same cpu as I did back then. Anyways, I will try this fix out, thanks for the help.
    Reply Quote
    100 Human Paladin
    how come can i run much more heavy games on my computer, and not diablo3? EXPLAIN PLEASE!
    Reply Quote
    100 Human Paladin
    Also... i build my own computer, motherboard is MSI P45 Diamond, Kigston Ram, OCZ SSD, ASUS ATI RAD EAH4870x2...

im telling you its something wrong with the game itself, and im sure blizzard has no idea OR doesnt want to know... since we just pay for the game and thats it... im sure if this was WoW they would fix it.
    Reply Quote
    Oh yeah, also throttlestop wont work on Pc's right? just laptops? cuz it said my cpu is not supported.
    Reply Quote
    The op has very good intentions, which i applaud.

But what he is advising as a "fix" is actually pretty advanced stuff and if you are uncomfortable changing system settings or using programs that mess about with the bios stay well away from it. You risk damaging your system simply put.

Use at your own risk but i really don't advise it.
    Reply Quote
    Oh yeah. It might fix some problems on some laptops/pc's, I won't lie, but it will briefly fix stuttering or fps drops that AREN'T RELATED to asset loading. This guy defends blizz so much but I did a bit of digging around and the game is actually coded to actively stream the game from your HDD as you play, in other words, if the HDD is taken up by something else, it will stutter whenever it "streams" a new thing that is loaded. Ever wonder why the load screens are so short? You got your answer. Also no, blizz won't ever respond to this or fix it, because, well, the game works like this.
    So long story short, it's blizzards problem, not ours. Or the manufacturers, as this guy claims.
    Edited by Aeral#2998 on 22/05/2012 21:40 BST
    Reply Quote
    The op has very good intentions, which i applaud.

But what he is advising as a "fix" is actually pretty advanced stuff and if you are uncomfortable changing system settings or using programs that mess about with the bios stay well away from it. You risk damaging your system simply put.

Use at your own risk but i really don't advise it.

Pretty much indeed .... I should have posted a few warnings.

Sure this might fix it, but let me tell you something:
    For all the god damn wall of text you just wrote, it seems you sure are defending them. Sure it might not be blizzards problem, but the point remains, if I go to buy any other product, I am 100% sure most of them will not have this issue with stuttering therefore by this logic buying other products is more acceptable to me as a consumer because I will not get issues with them. When I bought this product, I didn't think I would get such issues, therefore blizzard must've contacted all the manufacturers etc and sorted this out. I am not saying it's entirely their fault, however they do not even acknowledge that the stuttering exists. And for your record I did not have this in Beta, and I have the same cpu as I did back then. Anyways, I will try this fix out, thanks for the help.

No Im not, im defending them only THESE SPECIFIC problems, not ALL of them, i didn't even mentioned the GENUINE game bugs, heck as a matter of fact I did, the FPS Drop that is recreatable while hovering mouse over NPC or player is the genuine game bug, or drivers. I am NOT trying to fix that one because I know im not going to help on there no matter what.

But that's all we can know FOR SURE, we don't know who to blame for sure on all of the other things.

youre wrong Stewox, this is a game issue, not because of manufacturers

http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/4209934141

The guy updated saying that he tested with GPU and no change.

Our clues are getting bigger, it's not the GPU but I don't know how he tested he would have to reinstall drivers obviously
    Edited by Stewox#1261 on 23/05/2012 11:03 BST
    Reply Quote
    Oh yeah. It might fix some problems on some laptops/pc's, I won't lie, but it will briefly fix stuttering or fps drops that AREN'T RELATED to asset loading. This guy defends blizz so much but I did a bit of digging around and the game is actually coded to actively stream the game from your HDD as you play, in other words, if the HDD is taken up by something else, it will stutter whenever it "streams" a new thing that is loaded. Ever wonder why the load screens are so short? You got your answer. Also no, blizz won't ever respond to this or fix it, because, well, the game works like this.
    So long story short, it's blizzards problem, not ours. Or the manufacturers, as this guy claims.

Then why other people aren't having this problem, it's not asset loading, that would not make permanent lags, and would make bigger pause, longer-lasting temporary freezes, it won't make it stutter all the time. Yes there is som lag when you start the game, it's pretty quickly gone, 3 seconds and it's fine, and on my high-end PC is just barely noticed.
    Edited by Stewox#1261 on 23/05/2012 11:06 BST
    Reply Quote
    UPDATE:
    CPU POWER SAVING FEATURES IN BIOS:

Derived from PCs - may also be valid for laptops (tought it may be under a different name)

These two examples below are from my PCs here at my house, All of my motherboards are from Gigabyte and have PHOENIX AWARD bios

There are most newest UEFI BIOS motherboards that I do not have, I do not know names of those functions there or if they changed or not, most probably they're the same, but you'll need to navigate through the GUI, i doubt a lot of people have those, they're super high end because they're quite new, and expensive.

Start Computer from shutdown or reboot > Press DELETE a lot > blue BIOS Screen appears

Low End - or Older Models: (AMD Based)
    In biso screen go to:
    > Advanced BIOS Features:
    • AMD C1E Support
    • AMD K8 Cool & Quiet support

Set them to "Disabled" it's probably set to "Auto" by default. "Auto" is a lot of times just a "default" option as by the manufacturer with is usually enabled, but depends on what it is, for this case it is definitely enabled.

High End - newer models of motherboard: (Intel Based)
    > MB Intelligent Tweaker > Advanced Frequency Settings > Advanced CPU Core Features
    • - CPU Enhanced Halt (C1E) (Award Bios)
    • - CPU EIST Function (Award Bios)
    • - Enhanced Intel Speed Step (full name for "EIST", names differ in bios models/versions)
    • - Intel Turbo Boost (automatic overclocking, bad idea)
    • - C3/C6 State Support
    • - Intel C-State (AMI Bios)
    • - Intel EIST (AMI Bios)

AMI Bios:
    http://pcper.com/images/reviews/725/bios15.jpg
    I found something from AMI Bios and says "Intel C-State" i don't know what it is i never saw it, but it's probably a different name for some of these power saver features.

Again, i don't know much about AMI, don't know how many GUI changes it went through.

AWARD older:
    http://images.hardwarecanucks.com/image/mac/reviews/gigabyte/EP45UD3P/bios8.jpg

AWARD Newer:
    http://xbitlabs.com/images/mainboards/ga-p67a-ud4-b3/bios_cpu.png

I'll have to look for Asus stuff in AMI Bios since i never had Asus motherboard, and a loooong time since i came acroos AMI bios gui, but it's not that different, just search.
    Edited by Stewox#1261 on 23/05/2012 13:27 BST
    Reply Quote
    Oh my god. IT'S ASSET LOADING. Some HDD's are slower than others, the fact that this game STREAMS your game as you play is why it stutters every time you LOAD something new. I am sure there are even more issues but the asset loading is amongst them, trust me
    Reply Quote
    23/05/2012 13:52Posted by Aeral
    Oh my god. IT'S ASSET LOADING. Some HDD's are slower than others, the fact that this game STREAMS your game as you play is why it stutters every time you LOAD something new. I am sure there are even more issues but the asset loading is amongst them, trust me

I am not covering asset loading issue in this thread ... stop making stuff like it's all one problem. It's not many of you have 5 different problems.
    Reply Quote
    doesn't work, give up Stewox, you haven't a clue what you're talking about
    Edited by Legion#2270 on 24/05/2012 09:27 BST
    Reply Quote
    Lol stewox, fixing CPU virtualize and auto turbo will not fix this issue, because when CPU load goes up the virtualization will be adjusted resulting in clock speeds to go up. This can be buggy but for those updating bios frequently will most like never be the problem.
    This will not fix the problem, period. It's just encouraging people to overclock or set passive clock times and this is really a bad idea for those not understanding how to open a bios or what it does.

No need to tell the unexperienced what to do with their machine, the auto clock speeds work just fine for at least 85% of the consumers, so why let them change that.

It's asset loading stewox, because HDD are "too slow" for streaming that much data at once.

People that have a new SSD with updated firmware have told us that it will 50% fix this issue, others that haven't updated firmware say this issue is even worse.
    People that have a huge amount of RAM Available have confirmed the issue is gone for at least 96% or more when they use a RAMdisk. So this is either bad coding, or just a permanent confirm that Asset Load ingame is fail, because most people simply haven't upgraded their HDD yet.

So once again Blizzard, GIVE BACK LOAD TIMES or a 64bit client. 64bit client have fixed at least 80% of the asset load issue in wow (even though they don't load all to much in game, most is loaded in a load screen).

I understand, blizzard, that you don't want to have epic load times as battlefield 3 has, but in games like these it just simply would be better.

To Add, Asset Loads seem to be much worse when servers are under pressure, I get more frequent drops and stutter when the servers are at full capacity. I get no or less when it's like 4AM.

So Asset load issues are either this:

1. Blizzard failed to properly code streaming functionality of asset load

2. It could be latency related (As I said above, I barely have any of the issues there are at the moment, when my ping is extremely low. It's like 10-20ms when the servers are empty... It varies from 34 ms to 350ms whenever the servers are busy and depending if anything is loaded or not.)

3. HDD's with windows on it are simply not capable of streaming that huge amount of data without causing major stutter or FPS drops whenever something new drops.

4. Blizzard is the leader of the new world and tells us that it is time to upgrade if you like it or not in a really filthy way.

And you smartasses saying it's your connection. I got a 120Mbit/second DL connection and it's 15Mbit/second upload. I got all high quality cables in my house and I refuse to have any form of wireless on my main machine (No wireless key/mouse config, no wireless internet. FUUU wireless if you can't spend 12398102983019283 for a good router and receiver).
    Edited by EpicFail#2372 on 11/06/2012 12:30 BST
    Reply Quote
    My system is:
    acer v3-571g with:
    2.5 Ghz i5 3rd gen with turbo boost at 3.1 Ghz
    video: gt640m at 2Gb ram
    RAM: 8GB

and i had like 7 fps in fights.... and the rezolve was turning off the turbo boos... "- Intel Turbo Boost (automatic overclocking, bad idea)"
    so.... who's fault is ? blizzard or intel?:|
    btw now the game works smoothly at @40-60 fps....
    Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
    Explain (256 characters max)
    Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]