Diablo® III

3D Graphics Settings via nVidia Control Panel

(Locked)

Few days ago I was playing Diablo 3 in 16x AA and 4x Supersample transparency AA, with Ambient Occlusion enabled, everything set as Enhance the application setting in nVidia Control Panel (NVCP). It was beautiful :].

Yesterday I have noticed, that game looks as if it's without any AA or anything I have set in NVCP before. Indeed, settings in Diablo 3 profile in NVCP were the same (16xAA, 4xSupersample...), untouched, but Diablo 3 just does not read them.

I blamed new nVidia drivers - 301.42 , which I updated recently too, and since I saw several users have some problems with them, I downgraded to previous 296.10 WHQL drivers, because I know, my settings were 100% working with them on Diablo 3.

After downgrade, I set everything to my taste again (16xAA, 4xSupersample, Ambient Occlusion...), and started Diablo 3, but the game did not read these settings again. My complaints against nVidia drivers were empty. So I think, it is one of those HOTFIXES, Diablo 3 Launcher downloaded recently, that forbids any change to 3D settings via NVCP. The only thing that works in NVCP is Anisotropic filtering (I recommend to set it to 16x, game looks so much better).

I don't know whether it is intentional, to not allow users to change 3D setting, and have a great visual experience, or it is just another bug. I hope it can be addressed or at least have some response here in this thread. I would like to have any feedback to this, and people that can reproduce this problem, so I know that it's not just my issue.

Also, I don't know about AMD's CCC, wasn't able to test this issue on any AMD graphics card, so I would like to hear from AMD users too.

MY SPECIFICATION:
Intel i7 2600K, mobo MSI P67A-GD80, MSI N580GTX Lightning XE, SSD Vertex 3...

Thank you
BUMP...

...anyone?
I just purchased the game last night and was very dissapointed right out of the gate with the graphics. I have a 480 GTX which should be similar to the 580, but the only changes I could get for improvement were to lower the resolution and detail...which to me isn't worth playing the game if I can't have all the eye candy.

@NeoChrome..could you advise me what settings you have in your Nvidia profile. I've never really had to play around in there before until now.
Edited by VooDoo22#1554 on 29/05/2012 16:22 BST
Have you actually tried to force the AA settings aka override? Usually the "enhance" option doesn't work, if you don't also have AA enabled in-game. Don't know what else it could be...

p.s. good GFX card btw, it's awesome. ;)
Edited by Kedren#2116 on 29/05/2012 16:38 BST
Thanks just gave me an idea to look at my AMD control panel and maybe see if I can 'boost' the graphics a bit :-D

I've got an AMD Radeon 6870 1gb Overclocked everything is on maxed settings not that there is much in the way of settings but when I get home if I remember will try to see if I can force hardware to give me some more visual goodness :-)
29/05/2012 16:20Posted by VooDoo22
...which to me isn't worth playing the game if I can't have all the eye candy.

Well, gameplay for me is always on the first place, but having the "firepower" and not being able to use it is quite disappointing. More so when I know it was working before, but now, either because of new nVidia drivers or (more likely) because messed up hotfixes from Blizzard, it is not.

And to setting in NV Control Panel, my Global Settings are mostly on Application-controlled or lower settings to not interfere with anything, because Global Settings are (suprise) global, and apply to every 3D application. Then I set up every game separately in their own profile. And I do it the way I like it, trying different settings (AA, transparency AA, Ambient Occlusion, Anizotropic Filtering...) one at a time, checking changes ingame, or taking screenshots, to see even just slightest differences in graphics quality, and testing impact on performance and FPS. I am completist and nitpicker, so I want to have everything perfect.

You can start well with Nvidia Forceware Tweak Guide here
http://www.tweakguides.com/NVFORCE_1.html
...the guy will tell you everything about nVidia drivers. You can skip to Page 6 and 7, to see breakdown of settings in nVidia Control Panel and every single thing you can set there.
29/05/2012 16:35Posted by Kedren
Have you actually tried to force the AA settings aka override? Usually the "enhance" option doesn't work, if you don't also have AA enabled in-game. Don't know what else it could be...

Yeah, I tried "enhance" and "override" options in nVidia Control Panel (NVCP), both of them were working properly. That was before the patch/hotfix/whatever, now it shows only "Enhance" and "Application-controled", "Override" option disappeared from NVCP. And "Enhance" does not work as I described earlier.

Heh, thank you, yes, card is excellent, it was limited Extreme Edition from MSI. It has 3GB VRAM, so I have a lot of memory for high level AA and Supersample.
29/05/2012 16:55Posted by SuperSaiyan4
Thanks just gave me an idea to look at my AMD control panel and maybe see if I can 'boost' the graphics a bit :-D

Thank you, I am looking forward to see your feedback, I wonder if AMD's CCC has the same problems as nVidia's Control Panel.

It's always good to enhance graphics quality, if you have a decent specs computer.

Nevertheless, thank you all guys for your replies, I already saw my thread falling into oblivion, under all that whining for balances, hacked accounts and refund demands from broken AH.
AFAIK you could never force AA on Nvidia cards.
There are tools to fix that though, with Nvidia Inspector you can tweak the driver profile to
1) allow you to force it (it´s a hidden setting that is Treat as Application controlled for Override and Enhance)
2) put in a AA compatibility flag for the driver. (0x004412C1 is supposed to work for atleast MSAA)

Some say it´s stuttery or has hickups on the 301.42 drivers (or whatever the latest WHQL are)
http://www.blog.jercouzen.com/2012/05/diablo-3-improve-antialiasing-using.html
AFAIK you could never force AA on Nvidia cards.
There are tools to fix that though, with Nvidia Inspector you can tweak the driver profile to
1) allow you to force it (it´s a hidden setting that is Treat as Application controlled for Override and Enhance)
2) put in a AA compatibility flag for the driver. (0x004412C1 is supposed to work for atleast MSAA)

Some say it´s stuttery or has hickups on the 301.42 drivers (or whatever the latest WHQL are)
http://www.blog.jercouzen.com/2012/05/diablo-3-improve-antialiasing-using.html

Oh, thank you, someone recommended me Nvidia Inspector on US forums, where I started thread similar to this one. But I did not bother, now I see, it is quite easy. But still, the thing is, I was able to change all of these setting through nVidia Control Panel before, AA, Supersample, Ambient Occlusion etc. And there even was an option to force/override AA on Diablo 3, it was working properly, but I blame Blizzard's hotfixes and their small patches, that download automatically, that it's working no more.

One last question, is Nvidia Inspector 3rd party utility or it is fan-made or it's released by Nvidia itself?

Thank you for your feedback...
It´s a third party app.
I was looking into getting AA working on Nvidia cards back on the closed beta during last summer and only found that it couldnt be forced.
Maybe drivers before they added a D3 profile could, since they didnt have the flag to ignore "Override application" that the D3 profile contains.
71 Blood Elf Rogue
Isn't D3 deferred rendered?
If so then you can't force multisampling anialiasing on it. But you can FXAA. But then you can do it in game options since builtin FXAA doesn't blur interface.
Isn't D3 deferred rendered?
If so then you can't force multisampling anialiasing on it. But you can FXAA. But then you can do it in game options since builtin FXAA doesn't blur interface.

Have completely no clue. Only thing that I know is, what I said here already several times, that week ago I was able to change AA, SS, Ambient Oclusion etc. through Enhance/Override application settings in nVidia Controm Panel, and now I can not. FXAA through Control Panel on 301.42 drivers works, but outcome is bad, including mentioned text blurrines.
I was looking into getting AA working on Nvidia cards back on the closed beta during last summer and only found that it couldnt be forced.
Maybe drivers before they added a D3 profile could, since they didnt have the flag to ignore "Override application" that the D3 profile contains.

Thank you all for responses. So after all that have been said, do I understand it right? Blizzard does not want us to change graphics setting, so forbid any settings Enhances/Overrides by putting some restriction flags into Diablo 3 profile. These flags can be removed or changed by Nvidia Inspector. If so, I'll give NV Inspector a try, because new patch from tomorrow, does not change this and Blizzard doesn't want to change it back anyway.

Once more, thank you, and if you have anything else to the topic, feel free to share it with me/us :]
Well, I've spent a couple of hours reading info on improving D3 performance on nvidia cards. There seems to be no consensus on what's best so I tried a combo of suggestions from a number of different users and it has certainly made a big improvement.

...YMMV...

First off, I don't have a gaming rig.. D3 is the first video game I've bought in almost 10 yrs.
My PC specs:

AMD X2 5400 (2.8ghz)
4 gb DD2 800
3 SATA WD harddrives
ASUS GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1gb w/ 301.24 drivers
ASUS M4A78 Plus Mobo
Samsung 215TX 21" monitor 1680x1050

Bought the GTX 550Ti a few month ago to replace dead VC. Hadn't planned on buying D3.

D3 plays nicely using default settings in single player mode. Beautiful images, crisp movements etc. Didn't have any problems until I joined groups to play. Then I would see stuttering and delays especially when lots of monsters were on screen and tons of spells etc. were being cast. It was playable, but it could get pretty bad.

So, off in search I went for a solution. Tried a few tips but they made the screens look kinda funky (like in caverns) even though the performance improved.

I've tested the tweaks in a few multiplayer games, notably, the first couple of quests in ACT 3 (taking place outside on the battlements) which is where I noticed that the performance was really bad BEFORE I tweaked NVIDIA Control panel.

The best tweaks I've found so far are the following:

I made no changes to the default "Global Settings" under "Manage 3D settings" in the Nvidia Control Panel. I used the "program settings" and added Diablo III, which for some reason was not initially listed in the programs list.

Listed under the program settings for Diablo III these are the changes I made (again.... I'm only listing what I changed):

Ambient Occulusion = Performance
Anisotropic filtering = Application-controlled
Antialiasing - FXAA = On
Multi-Display/mixed-GPU acceleration = Single Display performance mode (I only have one monitor)
Power management mode = Prefer Maximum performance
Texture Filtering - Anisotropic sample opti... = Off
Texture Filtering - Negative LOD bias = Allow
Triple Buffering = ON
Vertical sync = Adaptive

Now, moving on to settings within the "game options" tab in Diablo III game. These are the settings I'm using:

SCREEN:
Display = Fullscreen
Resolution = 1680x1050 (my native res.)
Letterbox = unchecked
Vertical Sync = unchecked
Max Foreground FPS = 150 (default)
Max Background FPS = 8 (default)

QUALITY:
Texture Quality = High
Shadow Quality = Medium
Physics = High
Clutter Density = Medium
Anti-aliasing = unchecked
Low FX = unchecked

Now.. I plainly admit that with these settings the game does NOT look as good as it does without these tweaks. There are a number of things I don't like about it.. i.e. the way certain spell-casting's appear now (Monk's "Cyclone Strike", Wizard's "Explosive Blast", etc). They are not terrible, but are not as nice as they were originally. Also, I have "the fog" which, I assume, allows the VC not to have to display every pixel at its best resolution.

This certainly isn't the perfect solution, but it has made multiplayer games MUCH better to play in w/ little or no lag.

Hope this helps someone... especially those with the GTX 550 Ti
I love how blizz wont allow to enhance settings for diablo but i can do it in starcraft 2. wtf??
Customer Service
Explojoseph this thread is two years old. If you're experiencing an issue, could you let us know exactly what's going wrong in a new thread?

Let me know how I'm doing!
https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/Lurdlespor
This thread is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]