Diablo® III

D3Prefs.txt

(Locked)

90 Undead Mage
Hi,

I found this 'D3Prefs.txt' file in a folder called 'Diablo III' which had appeared in the 'My Documents' folder.

I assumed this file was created during installation or something so I deleted it and the folder it appeared in.

The next time I started Diablo III my graphics settings had reverted to some sort of basic setting and after I had reset my preferences for resolution etc I found that once again I had this folder and file in 'My Documents'.

I use the 'My Documents' folder for immediate downloads if necessary, and any files downloaded there are then moved to a proper folder, I don't like this folder filling up with random rubbish.

What I would like to know is, why is this file clogging up the 'My Documents' folder and not in the 'Program Files/Diablo III' folder where it should be?

Is there any way to get Diablo III to look for this file elsewhere?
85 Night Elf Druid
I'd like to know aswell.
It seems Diablo III is hanging on specific moments because it needs to spin-up my other hard drive... (My Documents folder is on a seperate, non-ssd drive) I think it is because the game wants to read this file, since I can't find any other Diablo related files on this drive.
Edited by SAKAI#2135 on 23/05/2012 19:14 BST
Lots of games store their savegames/configuration in the My Documents folder these days.
It's standard practice, but very annoying, so I moved all my actual documents into another directory and stopped using the my documents folder altogether...
97 Draenei Mage
Lots of games store their savegames/configuration in the My Documents folder these days.
It's standard practice, but very annoying, so I moved all my actual documents into another directory and stopped using the my documents folder altogether...

Same here, I think this is a horrible pratice of modern games... I'm using my hard drive C: (actually a partition that has 70GB) just for windows and nothing else, so I can more easily reinstall it when there's a problem. I hate games and other software dumping their files in a folder (usually somewhere on C:) that cannot be specified.

The worst case I have seen in this respect so far was the Maxis game Spore, it created a graphics.cache file on C: that was almost 3 GB large, no matter where you installed the actual game...
22/05/2012 12:27Posted by Toadlick
What I would like to know is, why is this file clogging up the 'My Documents' folder and not in the 'Program Files/Diablo III' folder where it should be?

First of all, the file isn't in "My Documents" - it's in a subfolder called "Diablo III".

Secondly, it's in your user folder, because your preferences might not be the same as other users on your computer. Yes, I know, you are the only user of your computer, but not everyone are that fortunate.

That being said, it probably ought to be in the userfolder AppData, but it's in your userfolder, because that's where it belongs.

Diablo III isn't the only program that uses this very logical structure either. BioWare's Mass Effect series and Neverwinter Nights 2 uses it, as does Cyberlink, Guild Wars and probably loads of other programs that I don't have installed on my computer.

Same here, I think this is a horrible pratice of modern games.

The fact here is that you guys just don't know what is the proper practice for a program

There is a reason that it saves the info there because windows works on a per user basis, Older programs saved such info in the install directory but no sensible programmer would do that these days. So this is the CORRECT practice.

Basically get with the times.
Edited by ReZar#2492 on 23/05/2012 20:10 BST
85 Night Elf Druid
Why not create a new folder under /Users/<user>/ instead of /Users/<user>/Documents/
Edited by SAKAI#2135 on 23/05/2012 20:37 BST
97 Draenei Mage
[quote]
The fact here is that you guys just don't know what is the proper practice for a program

There is a reason that it saves the info there because windows works on a per user basis, Older programs saved such info in the install directory but no sensible programmer would do that these days. So this is the CORRECT practice.

I understand why they are doing it, I'm just saying I don't like it. There are many people (like me) who are the only users on their PC. Also, it wouldn't be so hard to have files like this stored in the place where the game is actually installed, they could still create user-specific files there. And yes, I mean user-specific as in Windows-User, not Diablo 3-User.
44 Troll Hunter
Just mark the folder as hidden and stop whining :)
This is what is required by Microsoft. From Windows 7 programs have limited access to Program Files and the Windows directories.

Although most applications store data in your user settings branch (Application Data) this is hard for users to find and it was probably thought that there may be occasions users might need to modify the file D3Prefs.txt (which would be why it has a txt extension). So it makes sense to keep it in Documents.

I agree its annoying but this is a microsoft design issue. As another user suggested, mark it has hidden.
- World of Warcraft
View profile

Same here, I think this is a horrible pratice of modern games.

Yes but most games (I currently have 7 in there) think it's just fine to use Documents/My Games. For some reason Diablo III thinks its extra special and deserves its own folder in the Document root :P

This is what is required by Microsoft. From Windows 7 programs have limited access to Program Files and the Windows directories.

Although most applications store data in your user settings branch (Application Data) this is hard for users to find and it was probably thought that there may be occasions users might need to modify the file D3Prefs.txt (which would be why it has a txt extension). So it makes sense to keep it in Documents.

I agree its annoying but this is a microsoft design issue. As another user suggested, mark it has hidden.

Tbh it's more likely the fact that it stores the screenshots in there. People still seem to have issues finding them though.
Edited by Cam#2505 on 25/05/2012 10:09 BST

Same here, I think this is a horrible pratice of modern games... I'm using my hard drive C: (actually a partition that has 70GB) just for windows and nothing else, so I can more easily reinstall it when there's a problem. I hate games and other software dumping their files in a folder (usually somewhere on C:) that cannot be specified.

The worst case I have seen in this respect so far was the Maxis game Spore, it created a graphics.cache file on C: that was almost 3 GB large, no matter where you installed the actual game...

This is actually exactly why I think it's a good idea to store game settings and save games in the My Documents folder.

Just move the My Documents folder to D: for instance and you won't have to worry about loosing stuff whenever you format C:
Customer Service
Hello,

This is just the location where the game stores some local settings related to options like resolution etc.

You can alter this by changing the default My Documents location, as said here:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310147

However the game will always create this file in My Documents, there is nothing we can really advise to stop that.
I understand that game my need to store some data in user-related folder, but is it really necessary to create top folder in My Documents? I want my My Documents folder to be nicely organized and when every application starts creating a folder there it quickly becomes messed up. I do not want to scroll down tons of garbage every time I am looking for specific document.

IMO according to Microsoft guidelines game-oriented stuff should go into My Documents/My Games. Can Blizzard change Diablo III settings to go into My Documents/My Games/Diablo III instead of My Documents/Diablo III?
Easiest solution to problem is to stop using windows or live with it and stop complain, it's windows and nobody force you to use it.
Also trying to have this subfolder appearing elsewhere. I just do not want it to appear as prime subfolder when I open "My Documents", as it is the 1st thing people see when I present something from my computer, and navigate: I dont want to show by mistake to external eyes that I play Diablo ... Hiding the folder is the current solution I use, but as I often have to use the "show hidden folders" in Explorer's option, it is not really satisfactory...
I am ok if it is into "My Documents" folder, but I want to choose where it will go, and in which subfolder/subsubfolder...

Pity it does not go into the built-in subfolder My Documents\My Games, like most games (Skyrim, Torchlight 2, Civilizations, Company of Heroes, Hearts of Iron, etc...).

Pity also that there is no key in the registry that can be added/edited for changing the path.
Edited by Lili#2246 on 25/01/2013 17:44 GMT
This thread is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]