Diablo® III

Best survival class for hc ?

85 Draenei Shaman
AS the topic says, wich is the best class for surviving in hardcore ? Died a few days ago with my demon hunter due to server failure and now i feel like creating a new hc character :)
Reply Quote
I personally think Monks do quite well, but they all have their advantages. Just remember to stack in Vitality and don't get too far ahead of yourself. Take it slow and be patient.
Reply Quote
I'm not a fan of melee so I have no references other than the Wizard and Witch Doctor, where I like the various defense skills a Wizard gets at an early level.

I also like the fact that I use Intelligence as a main stat for DPS which attributes to resistances as well.
Reply Quote
25/05/2012 21:49Posted by Dazzed
I also like the fact that I use Intelligence as a main stat for DPS which attributes to resistances as well.

Dexterity for Monk and Demon Hunter also adds to Dodge.

Strength for Barbarian also adds to armour.

Each classes main attribute is also defensive.
Reply Quote
Witch Doctor.

Spirit Vessel saves you from a killing blow and if you REALLY want to cheese the game you can pause the game during those 3 seconds and pull the plug out of your router, you'll get kicked out of the game while it's still paused (if you click logout it unpauses the game) meaning that in theory you should be unkillable as a WD.
Reply Quote
85 Troll Death Knight
Monk is quite able to solo as well, I'm even managing on early inferno up to a point and I solo'd most of hell with the exceptoin of the first boss in act 4 with all the shadow spawns, a friend of mine says demon hunter is hard to solo, if not impossible on hell.I don't have one myself but I'll take his word for it. :P

I've seen a few barbarians do really well too. I'm in inferno now with a friend barb, we coth can solo the first quests, though we have to care and avoid some elite and champion mobs that have certain combinations that are luck reliant.

If a pack has any of these mods or combinations thereof, I avoid them on inferno.
- Frozen champions in tight places
- vortex
- Fire chains+fast
- Illusionist in tight places, since I'm melee and can't always kill the illus quickly, I don't want to risk getting stuck in place.)
- waller champions in tight places (in open spaces, walls arent much of an issue on champions)
-waller elite anywhere, since they make a wall that can lock you in.
-horde+fast (this is a killer on inferno lol.)

Since I cant effectively tank more then two or so mobs at the same time on inferno (at least not with my gear) I have to rely on things like blind, knockback, mini knockback and fear in almost all fights.

And any champions or elites that have charge and stuff like that you can't effectively get away from. Those are dangerous too.

Most other combinations are quite killable tho, everytime I see a pcak, I first asses and devise a strategy before attacking, I've killed quite some elite and champion packs in early act 1 now.
Edited by Fluffywolf#2534 on 25/05/2012 22:28 BST
Reply Quote
Monk looks like the best option.
And pick up partners carefully :) Not to be left out to the mob alone.
But basically patience is your best friend
Reply Quote
I'd say monk or dh, a wellgeared monk with a defensive specc is close to immortal pre inferno and dhs have the best/most reliable escapes in the game and can wipe out most packs without even being put in harms way, I suppose monk is more failsafe though, if you !@#$ up with a dh you generally die. Wizards really suffer from diamond armor being unreliable (a lot of people, including me, have issues with it not activing from time to time, this isn't a huge deal in sc but can easily get you killed in hc), barbs are forced to stick to melee without having the healing prowess of the monk (if paired with a monk they are incredibly tanky though). Wds I simply have no interest in, they seem to have decent survivability (slightly below monk/dh) but I honestly haven't played one enough to know.
Reply Quote
85 Human Death Knight
Witch Doctor.

Spirit Vessel saves you from a killing blow and if you REALLY want to cheese the game you can pause the game during those 3 seconds and pull the plug out of your router, you'll get kicked out of the game while it's still paused (if you click logout it unpauses the game) meaning that in theory you should be unkillable as a WD.

Wait wait wait. What! can you actually pause the game, fake a dc and live?? can anyone confirm this?

Looks like diablo II all over again :P
Reply Quote
Immortal: Only if you play in a closed game, otherwise it's not "paused". Hope Blizzard will remove this since it's like a bug abuse, atleast in my perspective. The game should be unpausable imo.

To the OP:

Every class has distinct survival abilities, and every single one works like a charm if you learn to use them correctly. There can't be any "best" survival class due to the fact a good player can survive better than the average player by using other skills that people find lesser.
If you want survival due to disconnects or lag you have to go monk or barbarian. Stack up on VIT and use 1h+ shield. Then just hope you are alive when you get back in the game. Anything other than that counts for nothing if you're not inside the game playing ;)
Reply Quote
Immortal: Only if you play in a closed game, otherwise it's not "paused". Hope Blizzard will remove this since it's like a bug abuse, atleast in my perspective. The game should be unpausable imo.

I disagree. There are people that want to play a single player game and be able to pause to do things like look after a kid or attend to other RL stuff.
Reply Quote
pause is amazing for skipping lagspikes. whenever i play solo i treasure that feature never remove please.
Reply Quote
I've started a monk yesterday and im at the moment lvl 32 and just started nightmare. Got a question for other hardcore monks, what was your stats when you went to nightmare, to feel that it's not to hard to manage.

At the moment i have about 5.7k hp (is that low for a monk in nightmare ?) and about 450 damage
Reply Quote

I disagree. There are people that want to play a single player game and be able to pause to do things like look after a kid or attend to other RL stuff.

Using that "singleplayer" character with us that plays "online" is NOT fair. Blizzard should separate them like D2 with closed and open characters.

There is always TP ;) Or to be even safer, TP and enter a building :D
Reply Quote
28/05/2012 10:02Posted by Wiggligg
Using that "singleplayer" character with us that plays "online" is NOT fair. Blizzard should separate them like D2 with closed and open characters.

Hardcore need an extra difference to softcore. Hardcore shoun't have pause!!

Please Blizzard, remove the pause from hardcore mode!
Reply Quote
Out of my experience so far, I prefer either Barbarian or Demon Hunter/Wizard. Wizard is a bit fragile in the "lower" levels, but as long as you don't doze off, it's a pretty neat class to play in HC - lots of crowd control abilities, as well as the teleport, just make sure you get the CD reduction! Demon hunter is pretty nice in the same aspect, as they get a lot of escapability - tumble, a bunch of slows, invis - however they can get hard to handle in the higher difficulties, as they do not have a damage reduction passive, nor any armor or endurance boosting skills.

As for barbarians, you can get some massive defense by stacking Vitality(due to their passive) so you can become really resilient. So if you prefer not having to worry about your health all the time, the barbarian is a nice choice. That being said, I can only vouche for barbarian as far as Normal and Nightmare goes, I've yet to play hell with 'em yet.

Also something that might be worth mentioning is that I don't do team/duos, I play solo - and these are the classes I think are the best for that situation.

EDIT: On the subject of pause in Hardcore, you guys are actually suggesting that beside having to deal with blizzard's lagg, we should also have to have foresight and make sure nothing IRL-related happens during the play time? As a person who have noosebleed a lot, I find it outrageous to be honest. Of course the single player should have a pause function! However I do agree that it will need to be fixed so people can't abuse it.
Edited by Theory#2496 on 29/05/2012 02:33 BST
Reply Quote
I can only vouche for barbarian as far as Normal and Nightmare goes, I've yet to play hell with 'em yet.

Hell is pretty much the same, but in inferno he is gonna Die. The need to avoid any damage and the need to get close to the enemy dont go well with each other.
Reply Quote
Wizard is pretty survivable. Many defensive cooldowns:
- Diamond skin
- Frost nova
- Force wave
- Teleport
- Mirror image
Even passive rune to reduce all their cooldowns 15%.
Then of course the nerfed Force armor, which actually still does illeviate some high hits to more managable numbers.

Anyway, stack vitality. I'm so far doing nightmare Act 3 at level 45, with over 15k life. Beliah was a complete faceroll. Had 9k life on normal diablo just to be on the safe side. Never really had any real close calls.

But it's useful to have your class at Inferno on softcore first. Just so that you know what the class is capable of, and what skills you should be aiming on using. Get some experience on fighting champions with 3+ affixes.

My experience on monks so far is that they die much much easier than wizards. That's just because you get in the melee range of your enemies and absorb more damage. Heal has long cooldown.
Edited by Zaflis#2895 on 29/05/2012 03:57 BST
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Death Knight
I think that vit is prime for many, but with all that where is your damage then? How can you kill a golden or blue target?

I am in Nightmare Babarian and in normal I did like all other did to stack vit but now in nightmare I only have 4k health and useing Strength as prime because of the increase on damage and armor.

Vit is good but not to stack it in all gear.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Priest
Why not? I do this somehow even in non-hc.
You can/should collect gear with your major stat int/dex/str + vit + (resi) = win; on nearly all class sooner or later in hardcore. Otherwise you will not survive hell and even end of nightmare is more luck than anything else.

I don't feel like DH is really a good choice for inferno hc, but surely depends on players style.

Wiz and WD seem quite nice for farming, because of their great ability of kiting and doing lots of damage (while doing actually nothing, like hydra and co.) plus some great oh-!@#$-button. But on the other hand they feel usually kind of squishy, and quite sensitive for failure.

Barbs and Monks feel like they allow much more mistakes and have tons of cc and defensive cooldowns. But it all cease as soon as mobs become more and more non-tankable, like molten/arcane/plague/firechain, guess you need tons of good gear for farming inferno mobs with melees and of course nerves of steel :c.
Edited by Yevon#2949 on 30/05/2012 14:05 BST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]