Diablo® III

Does Magic Find increase Legendary droprates?

90 Human Mage
There was a discussion on US forums about drop rates and it was states that they were adjusted, because there are more players.

From Bashiok (http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/5150764997?page=3#49):
What I said, and what is true, is that with far more players and an increased proliferation of item trade, we have to factor in how many items are being found by players and how quickly a player can gear up by 'sourcing' items from others through trade and the convenience of the gold auction house.

My question now is how the rates work, there are two scenarios I can imagine:
(I totally made up the numbers)

1. The droprates where adjusted by lowering the chances for Legendaries... lets say from 0.001% to 0.0005% or something. So my Magic Find (and therefore Nephalems Valor) will still increase the chance for a Legendary to drop, e.g. with 100% Magic Find the chance would be 0.001%.

2. The Legendary droprates are fixed and influenced only by the number of people playing, so all people have the same 0.0005% chance of finding a Legendary no matter how much Magic Find they have.

It would be nice if a blue could clarify this ;)
Edited by Saenic#2895 on 30/05/2012 09:46 BST
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Druid
In short, Maybe. Maybe not.
I doubt Blizzard even know the answer to that.

But eh, its all random remember!? All apart of the fun! woo....
Reply Quote
yes, i got 3 yesterday with 174%
Reply Quote
60 Undead Rogue
30/05/2012 08:58Posted by Kain
yes, i got 3 yesterday with 174%

Got none yesterday with 238% MF, your point is?
Reply Quote
Thats cowpie. So the more people are playing, the harder it is to find the loot yourself? So if more people start to play, the need to farm gold increases, nice. Really nice.
Reply Quote
no leg drops at all with %330 - 5 nv crap...
Reply Quote
well I had few days ago maxed MF 375% didnt drop anything...then i put my dmg spec and 2 legendary drop...i think it doesnt matter if you got mf or not..I think its based more on random as MF....but on the other side we need to ask question what exactly mean 375% MF on item that has drop rate like 000.5% or 000.025% ...I belive that MF has really shi*y power on droping random items....
Reply Quote
magic find doesnt increase legendary drop, it affects only for rares
Reply Quote
it does actually - i average 1 every 20 minutes with 600MF. I never came close to that rate with 300 MF.
Reply Quote
i got one legendary in a week 400% mf in mp5 , 300% mf mp1

and it was a crap item
Reply Quote
Assuming MF increases the probability that a legendary or set item will drop is incorrect.

Drop rates were adjusted in two separate patches. 1.03 quadrupled the amount that dropped. This was not specific to legendary or set items.

In 1.04 the legendary or set item drop rate was doubled.

So, the question is. Were legendary and set item drop rates increased just once or twice?

Now. Magic find. When you kill a monster, it first checks whether it will drop anything at all.

Potion, gold, item, gem.

When it gets to checking if it will drop an item, if yes it then checks FIRST, before any MF comes into play, if the item is a set, then legendary, then rare, then magic and so on.

If your lucky enough to hit a item thats a ring thats a set, the game then looks at your MF.

The item then checks for how many affixes, and this is where mf comes to play. It increases the odds [very meagerly] of rolling more affixes.

There is debate about whether or not increases the quality of said affix rolls as well.

Its possible that gear/para based mf is different then nv mf, with nv only increasing the probability that an item will be a set or legendary.

tldr
No. for all the long hours i have put in, many many times I have had low mf and no nv and a leg or set drops. My calmity and nats ref both dropped with 2 or less nv and little gear magic.

There was a discussion on US forums about drop rates and it was states that they were adjusted, because there are more players.

From Bashiok (http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/5150764997?page=3#49):
What I said, and what is true, is that with far more players and an increased proliferation of item trade, we have to factor in how many items are being found by players and how quickly a player can gear up by 'sourcing' items from others through trade and the convenience of the gold auction house.

My question now is how the rates work, there are two scenarios I can imagine:
(I totally made up the numbers)

1. The droprates where adjusted by lowering the chances for Legendaries... lets say from 0.001% to 0.0005% or something. So my Magic Find (and therefore Nephalems Valor) will still increase the chance for a Legendary to drop, e.g. with 100% Magic Find the chance would be 0.001%.

2. The Legendary droprates are fixed and influenced only by the number of people playing, so all people have the same 0.0005% chance of finding a Legendary no matter how much Magic Find they have.

It would be nice if a blue could clarify this ;)
Reply Quote
lol.. another one from the grave.. with a few patches already been released. :p

just got 1 set amulet, 1 set ring and 1 set 1-hand xbow just a few hours ago in a single alkaizer run.

edit: 420% mf with NV. Act3 MP2 for ref.
Edited by khernitz#1171 on 04/01/2013 01:02 GMT
Reply Quote
stuff will drop if you're playing at the right time regardless of mf / mp ...
Reply Quote
View profile
Yes it does increase drop rates, but 5* something small will still be small.
Reply Quote
No!!
My opinion is ,mf increase rare drops,but no mess on legendary/set drops.
Scince im para100,i see a lot of rares on the ground ,and less legendaryes,now im thinking,the capped MF forced more rares to drop instead of legendary/sets ..
Reply Quote
View profile
You should ask this question at the botters forum, they have a lot better statistics I believe, and bots are less subjective than humans.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]