Diablo® III

Thorns/damage on hit build?

90 Gnome Warlock
yo guys, Im currently leveling my witch doctor and ive farmed quite a bunch of "damage on hit" equipment on my DH main. just wondering if there is a nice & viable pet build out there that focuses on damage on hit from that passive ability :)

would such a build work? Understand that it could be a challenge in inferno, and maybe hell because what Ive heard the dogs really sucks later game (They already do, in normal :<)
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Warlock
anyone?
Reply Quote
won't work, you can't take really get hit in act2+ inferno unless you want to die.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Warlock
26/05/2012 19:48Posted by ragz
won't work, you can't take really get hit in act2+ inferno unless you want to die.

well, I am not the one getting hit, my pets are.. duuh
Reply Quote
you think your pets can take hits any better? rofl
Reply Quote
brb getting hit by range and cant do anything
Reply Quote
26/05/2012 19:50Posted by Gnub

well, I am not the one getting hit, my pets are.. duuh

Well, if you have 800 life on hit, each of your pets will do 13.3 damage per second. (Oneshot pets with 60 sec recast)

That is if they don't just die to some ground effect.
Reply Quote
I'm trying the thorn build, I guess with some decent armor you can keep your pets alive for a second hit, allowing the thorns to deal the damage.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Warlock
you think your pets can take hits any better? rofl

it was a question you arrogant kid.

26/05/2012 20:04Posted by yanny
LOL you are a retard quit this game and delete your game and never mention anything on this forum ever again

Reported.

26/05/2012 21:04Posted by Sharkaj
I'm trying the thorn build, I guess with some decent armor you can keep your pets alive for a second hit, allowing the thorns to deal the damage.

thanks, finally a decent answer :) well, I will definatly try it out even though I suspect it wont be that viable, but if you get enough armor and life reg maybe your pets could be pretty decent in higher difficulites afterall
Edited by ulletuss#2930 on 26/05/2012 23:38 BST
Reply Quote
I'll let you know how it works out. Currently sitting and waiting for my auctions to complete so I got more money to buy decent gear for this spec. :)
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
it may work on <hell... maybe in hell too (only gargantum) if you stack tanky gear
but in hell the mobs start to kill your gargantum faster than you could recast and with tanky + thorn gear you wont do any dmg by yourself (the dogs are by far earlier useless)
on inferno your gargantum will be a 1-3 hit depending on your life and def stats... but even some normal mobs start having 500k+ hp
calc by yourself how much thorn dmg and hits you need to kill just ONE mob

thorn is almost useless, even for melees... using that passiv would be a waste on higher difficulties
test and enjoy it as long the mobs are weak enough
Reply Quote
I've contemplated the build myself, and while i opted out of trying it, my best bet is you include Fetish Army - Legion of Daggers, as well as Tribal Rites and Fetish Sychophant, and a high attack speed.

Anyway, good luck - and have fun experimenting ^^

And on a sidenote, don't worry about the nay-sayers. A player in EVE-Online long ago was ridiculed for proposing a similar passive setup - now everyone uses it.
Reply Quote
I think you should buy all resistances not armor..
and run with Bad meciine and Leeching dogs..
Reply Quote
Wanted to try the same thing too, but soon realised that i just wouldnt work. Thorns is just anotehr thing that is completely useless in "endgame".

Lets say you waer 10 items with 2000 dmg on hit each, that 20.000 dmg per hit. Each of you Pets can take 1 or 2 hits b4 they die. Mr. hulk can take 3.. Thats roughly 140.000 dmg you can deal. Then you have to wait another 60 seconds to resummon you pets.

Give it a few weeks, maybe some stuff will be rebalanced.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman
I really would like to see how a build like this works out, I was thinking about trying out but didnt had the money to change my gear to thorns+pet survival.
Reply Quote
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/5271500086
Reply Quote
it only works if you have 800-1000 resist all, (gear with intellect, vitality, resist all AND 1500+ thorns). finding gear like this is difficult but when you have a full build and every piece with these stats, then yes. this build works even in act2+ inferno.

and who's pets are still getting one shot? mine can take around 10 hits...
Reply Quote
- Diablo III
My pets are fine except act 2 inferno, which I am currently working on fixing.

There are several build ideas which will work very well the problem with these builds isn't using them it's the farm / money needed for said build.

I am aiming for 852 resist all min (from All Resist increase), 200 res from int (meaning 2k int), up to 2.5k life regen (not sure if I'll get there) 5k-10k thorns, then making sure I have the CC effect on the items which I'm using (helm with fear shoulders with freeze etc...) then using the pets with the AoE damage abilities (which proc those CCs) and using AoE damage abilities.
Reply Quote
This build does not work for me. Perhaps I'm on low resistances, we'll see in the future for some more testing, currently ran out of gold.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]