Diablo® III

Best kind of weapon for Wizard?

Is it better to have fast attack speed/high damage as in daggers, or slow attack speed/low damage, as in axes?

I've been wondering this for a while, ive been looking for a weapon for about 1mil but i don't know if im getting a good deal or not.

Can someone shine some light on this?
Reply Quote
It depends on what build you are using, can you post it?
Usually slow weapons are best for channeled spells, fast weapons will deplete AP faster for those.

Since attack speed can sometimes "fake" the real damage its allways a good idea to put the dmg numbers in the options so that you can see the actual difference for each spell.

What you should allways look for in any weapon is the minimum-maximum dmg that is written below the DPS, that dmg will give you an idea of the "real" damage each spell will have with the weapon.
Edited by HippyGiJoe#1175 on 10/06/2012 22:04 BST
Reply Quote
It depends on your skills of choice. As far as I read for spells like blizzard and hydra dps (the general value is the one that matters) but for spells like say the signature ones where you have an interval between shots (or should I say dealing dmg) attack speed also matters a lot. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
Reply Quote
Since it's similar question, I'll just copy the post I did a few minutes ago in another thread:

Consider you've got the same DPS with 2-hander and 1h+source.
Same DPS means that if you cast your spells continiously, you'll deal the same amount of damage for given time. 1h+source will give you less damage per hit but faster attack. This has pros and cons depending on your playstyle and used skills.

1h+source is good if you use signature spells, especially if runed with Arcane Power (AP from now on) generation, since you hit faster. Generally faster attack speed makes it easier to kite mobs, which is good.

On the other hand slower attack speed with higher damage (per hit) gives you better damage per AP point, since your spells will hit slower/less often.

Say you've got 10k DPS. With 1 attack per second, that means you're hitting for 10k damage every one second.
So if you cast Arcane Orb, that would for example do 3 times 17,500 dmg (175% weap.dmg) – 3 times, cause that's how many times you can cast it before you run out of AP.

Now let's say you're doing 10k DPS with 2 attacks per second. That measn that you're hitting for 5k damage twice a second.
With the Arc.Orb example, you'll dish out 3 times 8,750 dmg (175% weap.dmg). You'll do it twice as fast, but you'll be out of AP after. So for the same amount of AP, you'll do half the damage.

(these are, of course, very simplified calculations, excluding various factors like armour and ressistnaces)

Also slower attack speed is generally better for channelled spells, because it affects how often they tick.

On the other hand with an off-hand you can benefit from more stats.
I'm not saying either is better. Many say 1h+source is better cause of the more stats.

It all depends on what spells you use and how you like to play. That would determine if you'd like better more or less attack speed.

That's my opinion, and anyone, correct me if I've got some numbers wrong.
Reply Quote
There is alot of debate with attack speed and wich weapons are the best.
I got a 2handed staff with 1.2k DPS with 1.00 AS and a wand with 880dps and 1.40AS and source with 100-200 dmg.

With the staff i can get alot more damage with each spell, usually almost 2 thirds more damage.
With the wand i can cast spells much faster, with prodigy and any sig spell with the source rune i can regenerate arcane power much faster, if you go with a critical hit build, having faster attack speed can be beneficial since you will have more chances to critical hit.

I allways use the slow 2 hander with blizz/venom hydra, and use the 1h/source with arcaneorb build.

my 2cent.
Edited by HippyGiJoe#1175 on 10/06/2012 22:15 BST
Reply Quote
Hmm, complicated stuff. I think i might go for a 2h.
Reply Quote
10/06/2012 22:19Posted by Malmortius

2h is really my personal choice as well considering that in inferno there is not enough time to take advantage of high AS.

Remember though, have an AS of at least 1.6 total so that you dont take an age to use a spell, since the cast animation can get you killed if the AS is too slow.

With my 2h staff i got a total of 1.9 AS wich i find is really good for kiting with blizz/hydra and magic missile(seeker) spam.
Reply Quote
1h+oh is just as good as 2h for hydra, at least the venom one. It benefits from attack speed.
Reply Quote

2h is really my personal choice as well considering that in inferno there is not enough time to take advantage of high AS.

Remember though, have an AS of at least 1.6 total so that you dont take an age to use a spell, since the cast animation can get you killed if the AS is too slow.

With my 2h staff i got a total of 1.9 AS wich i find is really good for kiting with blizz/hydra and magic missile(seeker) spam.

Just got a 1170 dps 2h weapon with 108 intelligence, 900 health after kill and 21% attack speed on it, which is 1.36 attack speed for 300k :p
Edited by Malmortius#2839 on 10/06/2012 22:29 BST
Reply Quote
10/06/2012 22:29Posted by Malmortius

Just got a 1170 dps 2h weapon with 108 intelligence, 900 health after kill and 21% attack speed on it, which is 1.36 attack speed for 300k :p

Good price :) but remember that the slower the weapon is, the harder it hits.

Rule of thumb, allways check the dmg numbers below the DPS. Minimum-Maximum, those 2 will tell you how hard the weapon actually hits outside of Attack speed.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]