Diablo® III

Launcher Not Working After Update Prompt

(Locked)

Hey guys,

So, now the D3 launcher refuses to load up after I was prompted with a 'new update available' and clicked restart. It loaded nothing.

I restarted my PC, double click the D3 icon, Agent.exe shows up in the task manager, then the blizzard launcher and installer loads (pretty much at the same time), loading icon spins, then nothing.

Blizzard launcher and installer disappears from the task manager after about 3 seconds, and agent.exe sits there for a few more seconds, then that disappears as well.

I have tried deleting the C:/Program Data/Battle.net, this causes the installer to update setup files, that finishes and then nothing.

I have tried loading the Agent.exe file before loading the launcher, got nothing again.

Run as admin is ticked.

Tried running it in windows xp SP 3 mode.

Weird how it refuses to load after loading initially and telling me there is an update hey...
Edited by Dynasty#2578 on 05/06/2012 22:10 BST
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Same deal here: Launcher prompted for a restart to apply the tools update and now it just sits at "Checking for updates..."

Tried (and failed) in almost all combinations:
# IE set to never dial a connection and automatic detection is unticked
# End task on Agent.exe
# Delete ProgramData
# Disable firewall
# Reboot to safe mode with networking
# Copied friends Battle.net\Agent dir, edited agent.db to reflect my install dirs
# Run agent.exe manually in a command prompt and then starting the launcher/D3
# Multiple reboots
# Run D3 as administrator
# Set "Secondary Logon" Windows service to Automatic and start it
# telnet engb.patch.battle.net 1119 works
# Browse to http://engb.patch.battle.net:1119/patch returns a blank page (as it should)

Any other ideas, because I would really love to be playing right now...

EDIT: Latest tools update, not a patch.
EDIT 2: Added Secondary Logon service entry.
EDIT 3: Added engb.patch.battle.net connectivity tests
EDIT 4: Added IE settings to the list. Would hate to get asked it...
Edited by Secate#2699 on 05/06/2012 23:01 BST
Well I'm glad it's not just me then.

We can cry together.

[edit]

Just to clarify, the launcher doesn't even load. No Diablo head, nothing. Just the spinning circle next to my mouse pointer, that disappears and then nothing.

The launcher won't open at all.
Edited by Dynasty#2578 on 05/06/2012 22:07 BST
Suffering the same here. "failed to update tools" and the launcher itself is running VERY slow.

Its not a firewall problem as i've tried disabling it, flushed DNS, renamed cache etc.

Did get in once randomly, then when trying to connect got 3003 error. which i cant find anything about.

Blues, i have NO OTHER sotware on my PC other than standard windows stuff, as i had to rebuild it last week, and D3 was 1st and last thing i got round to installing.
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Added a few extra tests to cross off the list.

At this point my best guess is that engb.patch.battle.net is not returning any data, or the incorrect data, even though it is accepting connections.

If I knew what SOAP/REST query to pass to it to test for data return I might be able to take this further, but as things stand this is really frustrating to have to deal with.
Dont see how they can fix this, as any update to the launcher is surely THROUGH the launcher, and as we cant get that to even load...
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Added IE settings to the list.
85 Dwarf Hunter
I don't know what happen with last update, but I have error 3003, which was supposedly solved.

This is starting to be very annoying. thanks blizzard for making my 13 ears waiting feel so ...
90 Blood Elf Paladin
And now it's magically come right without me changing a thing.

Gee, I wonder...
Still not working here this morning.
Customer Service
Hello,

If it's still not working, can you check this:

Windows XP:

Press the Windows Key + R
Type CMD in the box and press OK

Windows Vista / 7:

Go to the Start Menu and search for 'command prompt'
Right click on the command prompt program and choose 'run as admin'

Then type the following in the command prompt window:
netsh winsock reset

Preess Enter, then power off your router for a few minutes and restart your computer.

Please then try the game after this.
Thanks for the blue reply!

Last night I did try the cmd prompt method as stated above, as I had seen it in another thread.

Tried it, it successfully went through, but I didnt restart my router and the launcher didnt work. I did a PC restart, and still didnt work, didnt think to reset the router though.

Out of frustration I deleted D3 entirely to start from scratch. Needed a break anyway and I can download from the client in a few hours. Thankfully my bband is unlimited.

If a clean install doesnt fix it though, I'll be back.

And it looks like I'm not the only one with this problem:

http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/4552328666
When this game is eventually pirated anyway, will you get rid of this "always online" crap that keeps me from playing my game? I've had it two weeks and this is the third time I can't play it.
I followed the instructions in the blue post. Still nothing. I do not have a router as the internet comes in from outside to the modem and then to the computer. All of my other MMOs (WoW, LOTRO, Star Trek Online, Age of Conan, Steam, etc) launchers work with no issues.

I do have an authenticator and I have heard that this could be part of the issue. It has been since Monday June 4th since this has happened. I could uninstall and re-install the game, but I purchased the game via digital copy and am not sure how to reinstall without a disk.

I also have to say that this is the first major issue I have ever had with Blizzard software since I started by playing Orcs and Humans back in the day. I am very happy with all of their work and products and support them whole heartedly. I know that this issue will be resolved, and I don't mind this inconvenience as payment for a lifetime of joy received from their other fine games.

I will keep checking back to see if this issue has been resolved and what I need to do to correct the problem.

Thank you Blizzard for all you have done and continue to do. =)

Bash
Doesnt work for me the launcher won't load and i just did exactly what you said, but it still won't load.... Go Go blizzard!
I do not have a router as the internet comes in from outside to the modem and then to the computer.

I could uninstall and re-install the game, but I purchased the game via digital copy and am not sure how to reinstall without a disk.

Login to your account, choose EU client, download.
I followed the instructions in the blue post. Still nothing. I do not have a router as the internet comes in from outside to the modem and then to the computer. All of my other MMOs (WoW, LOTRO, Star Trek Online, Age of Conan, Steam, etc) launchers work with no issues.

Bash

That "netsh" thing never worked for me either, mate. I replied to a blue post guy that it doesn't work a while ago and never got an answer.

My theory is that it's not a client problem, but instead one of their tricky servers (like login server or whatever they call them) gets screwed up. My reason to think that way is that the problem usually disappears after a while without me doing anything.
90 Worgen Warrior
Not working :(((((((
Mac solution ?!??!?!
Yeah I also need a mac solution pls
This thread is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]