Diablo® III

Damage Calculations: Magic Weapon

I have, like several others, made an excel-sheet that calculates the dps; I've managed to make it mimic the in game damage-stat fairly well (just rounding differences left).
Let's also ignore the fact that greater attack speed doesn't really equal real DPS unless you stand still and spam spells.

Basically it's:
Base damage * Int bonus * Buffs * IAS * (1 + Crit chance * crit damage)

What surprised me a bit is how the Buffs are calculated.
Assume that we have
- Magic weapon - Force rune (15%)
- Glass Cannon (15%)
- Familiar - Sparkflint rune (12 %)
The the DPS increase multiplier should be:
1+15%+15%+12% = 1.42
But it isn't, it adds another multiplayer of 1.15 if you use magic weapon; meaning the dps increase on the sheet is:
1.42*1.15 = 1.633

In other words; the actual calculation is:
Base damage * Int bonus * Buffs * Strange Magic Weapon bonus * IAS * (1 + Crit chance * crit damage)

Is this strange magic weapon multiplier intended, does it exist or is it just an error in how Blizz calculates the dmg?
Reply Quote
Magic Weapon is double dipping. It adds 15% to weapon damage, and 15% to damage done. In essence, since the dmg calculations are simple multiplications between modifiers, magic weapon adds 1.15x1.15=1.3225 or 32.25% to your total dps.
Reply Quote
13/06/2012 14:03Posted by Constantine
Magic Weapon is double dipping. It adds 15% to weapon damage, and 15% to damage done. In essence, since the dmg calculations are simple multiplications between modifiers, magic weapon adds 1.15x1.15=1.3225 or 32.25% to your total dps.

This info is correct.
Reply Quote
Ok, so it adds "real" damage? The number isn't just a fluffy lie in the spreadsheet?

I mean, I know what the "Damage" stat in game shows, but the question is really, can that number be trusted if considering MW.
Edited by Ophe#2352 on 13/06/2012 14:54 BST
Reply Quote
Tooltip claims 15%, DPS figure in the char screen shows 32.5% and the damage your character deals is increased by 15%. So, don't trust the DPS figure - Magic Weapons are not as good as they seem.
Reply Quote
The problem is that some claim that it is as good as it seems, and some claims that it isn't.

Who to believe? Have anyone tested it, or are there any posts or notes that proves that it's one way or the other?

It's a very important build question as well. IF it is true that the bonus gets applied twice, then magic weapon is far superior to the [Familiar - Sparkflint], if not the difference is so small that the familiars attacks most likely makes it a better choice.
Reply Quote
I did some very soft tests using magic missile. I didn't seem to notice a difference at all when using magic weapon, despite seeing a "large boost" in the DPS value.

That is fine with me though. I rarely used magic weapon since it seemed to waste a slot.
Reply Quote
i did some testing yesterday, my spreadsheet is also showing exact same values as the game tooltips so my modelling is all right

i then calculated weapon damage range, and went for some testing on non crit magic missile damage, the results were conclusive i had some damage lower than the minimum damage expected, so the spreadsheat is showing overinflated dps where enchanting the weapon is counted double for no reason, as it should be.

I could try to figure out if those 10 or 15% are added to talent damage boost, or directly on the weapon (to see if it's additive or multiplicative damage increase-if the tooltip is right this should be the choice-) but the difference should be quite small, it would require more testing than i'm willing to do: we know it's not done right now it's up to blizz to find the error and fix it

another thing it seems extra damage from rings, amulet and source would seem to be benefiting from the talent, which i'm not sure is intended when i read the tooltip, but since our dps is already 10-13% lower than what is shown (with 15% boost, depending on other talents and spells, ), we'll already have a lot of QQ so i'm not sure a nerf to top it all would do any good
Edited by Frog#2157 on 14/06/2012 08:42 BST
Reply Quote
Excellently done!
Please keep us updated if you test it more!
Reply Quote
Because damage output, as stated in the character info, relates to almost everything, like critical hit chance, attack speed... i use another way, i just check the damage numbers that i do to enemies and how many hits they generally take, i find it easier and more reliable, like "i was killing these guys with 4 hits and now i get 3 hits and sometimes 2 hit some"

do any of you do the same?
Reply Quote
Wait, so magic weapon doesn't do what it says? Am I wasting a slot? But does hydra still scale off of the incorrectly inflated DPS #?
Reply Quote
Because damage output, as stated in the character info, relates to almost everything, like critical hit chance, attack speed... i use another way, i just check the damage numbers that i do to enemies and how many hits they generally take, i find it easier and more reliable, like "i was killing these guys with 4 hits and now i get 3 hits and sometimes 2 hit some"

do any of you do the same?

i know my wiz got gazzilion times better after raising crit (33%)and crit damage(+250%ish). those yellow numbers just demolish mobs.

!@#$ atk speed. i think i went from 2,7 or so to 1,8 and i feel way (WAAAAY) more powerful.
Edited by LinaInverse#1773 on 15/06/2012 04:28 BST
Reply Quote

i know my wiz got gazzilion times better after raising crit (33%)and crit damage(+250%ish). those yellow numbers just demolish mobs.

!@#$ atk speed. i think i went from 2,7 or so to 1,8 and i feel way (WAAAAY) more powerful.

This is eaxactly what i do feel like. And im just ad 23.5% crit and 154% Critdmg.
Attack speed for Wizzard is overrated in my opinion.
Reply Quote

This is eaxactly what i do feel like. And im just ad 23.5% crit and 154% Critdmg.
Attack speed for Wizzard is overrated in my opinion.

also, must add, i have a funny feeling that lightning somehow crits more often. dunno why. peircing orb just demolishes groups. i use arcane orbs just for controlled bursts and cc (temporal flux). i even dont use venom hydra. arcane slows as well.

ALTHO... i noticed (or im going crazy) that arcane hydra crits dont seem to be working with +critical damage. anyone tested?
Reply Quote
Hydra Dmage is somehow calculated from Your Overall DPS - so maybe the Critdmg bonus is applied to general Damage on Hydra...
Reply Quote
15/06/2012 04:50Posted by Soranya
Hydra Dmage is somehow calculated from Your Overall DPS - so maybe the Critdmg bonus is applied to general Damage on Hydra...

they do crit tho.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]