Diablo® III

Magic Find? We need blue posts!

1. Is it shared between the group or individual?
2. Is it capped?
3. Are there diminishing returns?
4. What is the scale of diminish?
5. Does Magic Find increase possible ilvl dropped from the monster?
6. Are the drops rolled from the white drops or is it a scale where rare takes 1 of the magic drops and makes it rare. Subsequently, will legendary take a "rare spot"?

I can't seem to find the answer to these questions anywhere.
Reply Quote
Start here

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/4241234476
Reply Quote
No info what so ever regarding my questions can be found in that thread.
Reply Quote
Well, for one it's shared between everyone in the group, that much is established. The sum total of magic and gold find are totalled up and split between all players.
Reply Quote
1: it is shared meaning if u have 100 and your friend has 50 you both get 75.
2: no
3: no (from what i have gathered combing the forums)
4:read above
5: no just the frequency of colored drops
6: first there is a roll if an item will drop. (not affected by magic find) then magic find rolls if the roll is successfull.

nobody knows the exact roll ratio but for instance if you have 100% magic find this would be the theoretical result
blue 1 -> 2
yellow 0.5 --> 1
green 0.01 --> 0.02
orange 0.001 --> 0.002

so a 100% mf would double your chances. but since they are still kinda low it still kinda sucks. also. the nephalem valor buff will increase the item drop amount on bosses. so 1 buff will give you 1 more item from bosses, 5 stacks will give you 5 more items etc.
Reply Quote
does it work to equip a full set of MF right before you kill say an elite moster?
Reply Quote
Heard that stacking MF actually increases the chance of rolling higher stats on items. Anyone that have heard something about this?

Also...

does it work to equip a full set of MF right before you kill say an elite moster?

Yes it does. So far the rolls are apparently rolled once the mob dies or chest is openned. So it is possible to exploit the system by equipping the MF items just before killing a boss or opening a chest.
Reply Quote
Thx
Reply Quote
Thanks for the answers. It seems like nothing "we know" is confirmed by blizzard and that worries me. Alot of top tier players claim magic find is not shared at all now, while we all took it for granted it is shared. And why would it be shared if we have individual loot?

Also what magic find actually does is still so foggy. Sometimes it feels it doesn't matter jack if I use my magic find gear or not. Take butcher for example. If I kill him with 200% Magic find gear + 5 nephalem valor buffs I get JUST AS MANY yellows as with 5 nephalem buffs and no MF gear on. What does that mean? We can just speculate. Argh this drives me insane.
Reply Quote
Just how do i equip an entire set before killing an inferno elite mob? That's like a death sentence. I have a 205 mf set without NV, but can't survive a hit with it
Reply Quote
Blizzard said in the reddit questionary that Magic find works exactly like in D2. How in the world are we supposed to compute that notion when it is obviously FALSE.

Can I please get answers to my questions? It's like, why even play the game if you don't know the answers to these questions, it's like working a job without knowing what your paycheck is. Sure it's fun and worthwhile and all but you know jack !@#$ about the value of your work or what to expect.

Why are these mechanics hidden for us - the players? It's like hiding the Supply amount in Starcraft or the Gold amount in WC3. This drives me nuts, what drives me more nuts is that no one else seems to care - is everybody playing this game an idiot? I'm not trying to offend anyone, I'm asking a serious question.
Reply Quote
1. Is it shared between the group or individual?
2. Is it capped?
3. Are there diminishing returns?
4. What is the scale of diminish?
5. Does Magic Find increase possible ilvl dropped from the monster?
6. Are the drops rolled from the white drops or is it a scale where rare takes 1 of the magic drops and makes it rare. Subsequently, will legendary take a "rare spot"?

1. Yes. Group's sum of MF dividing by total players in group is gonna be the active MF when you loot something. Blizzard has given that formula.
2. No, Blizzard has stated so.
3. This is neither confirmed nor denied. My guess is it does, in a similar way to D2 post-nerf.
4. Unknown.
5. No. It doesn't increase "frequency of drops" either as previous posts might erroneously lead some to believe. When an item drops, the ilvl it'll be is randomized on specific percentages (the ones for patch 1.0.3 were specified), the magic quality of the item, however, is a random % that is increased by your Magic Find. Say an item drops with a 8% chance of being magical, with 300% Magic Find you increase that chance to 32%.
6. ^ The same applies to higher quality items. If it has 2% chance of being rare, 300% MF might (there'll probably be diminishing returns here) pop that up to 8%. Same for legendaries. We don't have a way to get exact values.

So yes. It still works a lot like D2. I don't understand why we suddenly believe it doesn't.

EDIT:
05/06/2012 04:36Posted by brickaN
Take butcher for example. If I kill him with 200% Magic find gear + 5 nephalem valor buffs I get JUST AS MANY yellows as with 5 nephalem buffs and no MF gear on. What does that mean?

On the bosses topic. It has been stated by blizzard, as well, bosses at the moment will always drop 2 rares minimum if you have the 5 NF stacks, no exceptions, it's another reward for having them. Everything else will be determined by MF. With just 100-200% MF boss loot tends to be almost 100% magical, the chance to pop another yellow is slim in the first place, so it's no wonder it feels low. But, it is there. As confirmed by getting 3 yellows continuously on bosses with the 300% MF I'm running now. The difference starts to become noticeable.

EDIT 2:
05/06/2012 05:13Posted by Jörmungandr
Just how do i equip an entire set before killing an inferno elite mob? That's like a death sentence. I have a 205 mf set without NV, but can't survive a hit with it

If you're playing a meleer, I'm pretty sure you can't do that effectively. As a ranged character, using any sort of CC, even the lesser of snares can give you the 2-3s required to click through everything to change set (alt+click for off-ring), then you need to finish it off without dying. This is much easier in a group, but your partner will need to have his own MF set as well as to not hinder your drops.
Edited by Castiel#2877 on 08/06/2012 17:29 BST
Reply Quote
Thanks for the answers. It seems like nothing "we know" is confirmed by blizzard and that worries me. Alot of top tier players claim magic find is not shared at all now, while we all took it for granted it is shared. And why would it be shared if we have individual loot?

Also what magic find actually does is still so foggy. Sometimes it feels it doesn't matter jack if I use my magic find gear or not. Take butcher for example. If I kill him with 200% Magic find gear + 5 nephalem valor buffs I get JUST AS MANY yellows as with 5 nephalem buffs and no MF gear on. What does that mean? We can just speculate. Argh this drives me insane.

MF is indeed shared between players.Blizzard has stated that officially.These "top tier players" are a bit retarded.

Random is random.200% MF doesnt guarantee you a yellow drop.It just gives you a slightly better chance.But the chance is still small.You have 2 guaranteed because of the Nef Valor buff.And if you have for example 1% chance for an extra , the MF makes it 3% , which is still very low and the chance is that you wont get anything.

And as I said random is random.You can get ton of yellows with no MF , and no yellows with alot MF.Random is random.
Edited by xxxBBBxxx#2476 on 08/06/2012 17:26 BST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]