Diablo® III

[Build] Blade Dancer - An evasive melee mage

85 Blood Elf Death Knight
Hey people, one more thread up! With a hopefully more reasonable build this time! This time I will be focusing on more evasive –styled melee mage tanky type, as the pure “I take damage, you die” seem to not really work that well above act 1 in Inferno.
And this brings us to this new spec I am presenting you! “Blade Dancer” is a complex and fast play oriented build that requires fast reactions and reflexes, watching your HP and cooldown and overall less “relaxed” play.
So if it is more stressful to play, what does it offer in return? About double as much damage done as the last spec I posted here along with absolutely NO NEED to watch your AP and ONLY surviving about keeping your buffs up and enemies pounding your skull into the ground.

Actual Spec
Blade Dancer 1.0 - http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/wizard#WRXPOS!adb!cbaZcZ

Videos

Act 1

The Butcher – http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4Zsb4-mmWc&feature=youtu.be
Skeleton King – http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vo_JW66j9lc&feature=youtu.be

Act 2

Belial – http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mrImw1gDMsU&feature=youtu.be
Zoltun Kulle – http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rfac9OStxmY
Magdha – http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q0ZY9xzZUvM&feature=youtu.be

Act 3

Siegebreaker – http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CVk1-SY4tK4&feature=youtu.be
Ghom – http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Px8M0vqznYY&feature=youtu.be
Random Elites – http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=akDS800jP98&feature=youtu.be

Builds

Blade Dancer 1.0
Skills
Diamond skin - Crystal Shell
Mirror Image - Duplicates
Energy Armor - Prismatic Armor (Or Force, depends on act/boss)
Magic Weapon - Force Weapon
Spectral Blades - Thrown Blade
Hydra – Venom Hydra

Explanation
This build utilizes the Wizard character in a very specific way. Instead of crazy kiting, evading or tanking you take on a different approach: An evasive tank. By using quite a bit of resists stacked with Blur and Illusionist passives combined with Mirror Image and Hydra, you are capable of keeping most enemy champions in a place where your Hydra has enough time to nuke them down while you dance among the enemies that hitting your numerous illusions or you with Diamond Skin up (which results into MORE illusions.
And for the skillls:
Diamond Skin is a bit of a no-brainer, it stacks with your armor and resists so it is awesome.
Mirror Image is the nasty part, even if you meet a nasty bastard boss that one shots your images it is still theoretically 4-7 shots on your images before he gets back to you, that is 4-6 seconds, maybe more. Plus it gives you a room to maneuver when getting chased and kiting. Combine that with Illusionist and you have a fairly good “image barrier” keeping you from the mobs.
Energy Armor: Another no-brainer, you need it survive and considering you are going tanky and not getting hit for 35% HP by most things... it is great! Force armor wins on bosses that hit too hard tho. But everyone already knows that. This build works just fine with Force Armor as well, you just have to be a bit more careful than usually.
Magic Weapon: You kinda pay the price for being tanky by having lower DPS and even though your Hydra kinda fixes that already… Magic weapon fixes it ENTIERLY, instantly adds 5K+ DPS like it is nothing! Awesome skill.
Spectral blades: The rune for longer reach is necessary, because it allows to utilize your Mirror images, otherwise the range is just too short. And considering you are a semi-melee fighter, this skill is AWESOME and MANDATORY.

Alternative skills
None yet

Required stats for Inferno
Act 1
- 400 Resists, 4K armor, 8-10K DPS. (Minimum)
- 600 Resists, 5,5K armor, 13+K DPS for facerolling.
- Boss (The Butcher) - 10K DPS minimum, you will hit the enrage timer otherwise.

Act 2
- 600 Resists, 5,5K armor, 13+K DPS (Minimum)
- 750-850 Resists, 6,2+K armor, 17-19+K DPS (Allmost faceroll, but some packs are still pain as hell.)
- Boss (Belial) – 17-21K DPS limit, you wont be able to keep up with the spawning snakes if you are under.

Act 3 - Not tested
Act 4 - Not tested

Monster Suffixes

Bad
Vortex - I dont know who designed this, but unless the mob is something like telepot/avenger/vortex/waller it is a gg unless you overagear the act heavily.
Invunerable Minions - I heard all classes and specs hate this... no suprise here.
Mortar - Pain in the !@#$, mostly screws our aim to semi-melee soemthing. But gets better as you slowly kill off the monsters.
Horde - More monsters = more hits = less time images up = less damage and less protection. Simple as that. Doable, but a REAL pain.
Illusionist - Doesnt matter one bit untill you get to act 2-3 on Inferno, THEN it gets a REAL pain, ESPECIALLY when combined with Mortar.

Neutral (AKA Alone I dont do much, but I can be a pain in a combo)
Fire Chains - Can be a HUGE pain, but at the same can do exactly nothing, depending on the mob type and other suffixes.
Teleport - Doesnt do much unless combined with something or on some HARD hitting ranged mob.
Waller - Can be totally awesome, as Spectral blade hits THOUGH it, but can also kill you it with a wrong combo.
Molten - Annoying, but alone doesnt do much.
Arcane Enchanted - Alone doesnt do much, but again, pain with stuff like Waller or Vortex.
Electrified - Can be a pain as it does REAL damage in higher Inferno acts, doesnt do anything in lower acts tho.
Frozen - Can kill you if you stand in a bad spot, but overally not that bad.
Jailer - Annoying, but mostly doesnt kill you as you can Mirror Image out of it if needed. Can be a pain when combined with Mortar/Arcane Enchanted.

Good (AKA dont give a damn)
Avenger - Doesnt do anything, less monsters are there, the easier it gets.
Fast - Yea, you frankly dont give a crap about this one. It doesnt do much. Only makes your illusions die a bit faster. And if the mob is too fast attacking and moving... it doesnt matter if it has this suffix or not.
Shielding - Doesnt do absolutely anything, only makes the fight last a bit longer.
Desecrator - Doesnt matter, you just move out of it.
Plagued - Same as Desecrator, doesnt do anything unless it is VERY narrow passage and you have nowhere to move.
Extra Health - Doesnt matter, only makes the fight longer.
Health Link - Same as extra health, doesnt do anything, only annoying.
Knockback - Doesnt do much at all... unless you get super unlucky and get thrown into an Arcane sentry or something.
Missile Dampening - Doesnt matter, just slows Hydra shots, but you can just summon it RIGHT next to the boss, so it does nothing.
Nightmarish - Similar to knockback, doesnt do anything unless you get super unlucky.
Vampiric - Makes fight longer, no problem out-DPSing it, not a problem as your DPS abilities are AoE.
Edited by Elvenos#2148 on 06/06/2012 00:35 BST
Reply Quote
I am totally addicted to the spectral blades with extra range.

I am currently running a similar build:
http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/wizard#WlXYRO!abW!cZaZbc

If you use a cold weapon, spectral blades does +20% dmg on targets in the blizzard (due to Cold Blooded).
I am running at 6k armor, 1k resist. It worked like a charm in Inferno I but now I am having trouble in Act II. Looking forward to try out your variation so I can keep using my spectral blades.
Reply Quote
Butcher and Skeleton king vids up! Go watch them! :P
Reply Quote
Nice build, I usually use a kiting build and have 35k hp and 50k dmg with 3.1 attack speed, just used this for butcher and belial to test it out and to my surprise it worked great and with less effort required than my usual build.

Sadly doesn't work so great on heavy hitters like siege breaker.
Edited by griminal#2945 on 04/06/2012 17:35 BST
Reply Quote
just changed to this build and it works great for me! thanks for idea ;D
Reply Quote
Magdha and Zoltun Kulle video up, uploading Belial kill!
Reply Quote
89 Blood Elf Paladin
hm...
Reply Quote
I'm a bit above your min stats with a bit more dps and he either ignores my mirrors or they disappear in 1 shot.

I prefer my old tactic over this but each his own play style.
Edited by Xuro#2577 on 04/06/2012 18:37 BST
Reply Quote
I'm a bit above your min stats with a bit more dps and he either ignores my mirrors or they disappear in 1 shot.

I prefer my old tactic over this but each his own play style.

He who?
Reply Quote
Belial kill video up! Link in the main post!
Reply Quote
89 Blood Elf Paladin
is evocation really that usefull? i mean 15% from 15 seconds is 2.25 seconds. is it really that much? would it not be better if you take dynamo passive?
Edited by Lošo#2297 on 04/06/2012 18:57 BST
Reply Quote
First of all, thanks for coming up with yet another interesting build. I think the core strategy of this build is really cool, and I will definitely try this as soon as I have access to my PC again (currently at my parents home).

Siegebreaker Inferno will be quite difficult, but I don't think it will be impossible as long as you have enough good gear to avoid getting ones-hot.

I do have a little suggestion for you in this build, and I think it has the potential to make it even better!

The main problem as I see it from a theoretical standpoint is the fact that you can easily get unlucky due to how the mirror images work in-game. I personally think the mobs have been scripted to somewhat recognize the real image (i.e. you) after a while, even without killing the remaining images. I have particularly noticed this when using Teleport with Fracture. So you should have just a few seconds of breathing room between the hits from the mobs. As you take 35% HP per hit (or potentially less), you have to regain some of that before the next hit!

Now, using +hp per hit and life regeneration affixes on items would work really well with this in my opinion. These would of course only be used on items when you don't have to sacrifice other more important stats.

Do you think this would be a good or bad idea?
Reply Quote
is evocation really that usefull? i mean 15% from 15 seconds is 2.25 seconds. is it really that much? would it not be better if you take dynamo passive?

also that god damn ID :D :D :D

You have NO skill to ue the Dynamo on :)

First of all, thanks for coming up with yet another interesting build. I think the core strategy of this build is really cool, and I will definitely try this as soon as I have access to my PC again (currently at my parents home).

Siegebreaker Inferno will be quite difficult, but I don't think it will be impossible as long as you have enough good gear to avoid getting ones-hot.

I do have a little suggestion for you in this build, and I think it has the potential to make it even better!

The main problem as I see it from a theoretical standpoint is the fact that you can easily get unlucky due to how the mirror images work in-game. I personally think the mobs have been scripted to somewhat recognize the real image (i.e. you) after a while, even without killing the remaining images. I have particularly noticed this when using Teleport with Fracture. So you should have just a few seconds of breathing room between the hits from the mobs. As you take 35% HP per hit (or potentially less), you have to regain some of that before the next hit!

Now, using +hp per hit and life regeneration affixes on items would work really well with this in my opinion. These would of course only be used on items when you don't have to sacrifice other more important stats.

Do you think this would be a good or bad idea?

Mirror images tend to bug a bit, but with a bit of practice (in fact a LOT), you can get used to it.

About life regen... yep, stacking it, as a 5. stat.
Reply Quote
Lunden I thought exactly the same thing, I also considered stacking crit chance and using the rune for spectral blades which gives 8% of the damage dealt everytime you crit as health.
Reply Quote
04/06/2012 18:58Posted by griminal
Lunden I thought exactly the same thing, I also considered stacking crit chance and using the rune for spectral blades which gives 8% of the damage dealt everytime you crit as health.

It wont work without extended spectral blades, you will be too close to your enemies and your illusions wont tank it for you.
Reply Quote
89 Blood Elf Paladin
04/06/2012 18:58Posted by griminal

also dmg to life aka life steal is reduced by 80% in inferno, 50% in hell and 30% in nightmare
Reply Quote
Blade Mirage was a cooler name :<
Reply Quote
Blade Mirage was a cooler name :<

I can always make a new build and name it something cooler :p
Reply Quote
I think his point was that someone already did, and you took the buod, tweaked it, and renamed it.

I can't say I like not having an AP dump, and I think it's a flaw in the build. Yes, magic weapon gives you 30% extra dps, but that's on paper. In reality how many extra dps would you have if you could blast these dudes with an AO or Meteor/Star pact, or whatever. I like that this build isn't AP dependent, but I think you are seriously gimping your survivability without a good way to regen life (through life on hit from your AP dump.)

but....I mean hey you killed Bellial with it.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]