Diablo® III

Inferno Act 4 Diablo Solo

Hi all,

a couple hours ago I killed inferno diablo solo. I've been soloing the entire way, except for some difficult parts of act 3 that me and a friend ran through together.

Kill screenshot

http://i.imgur.com/sjTGx.jpg

I thought I'd share some of my experiences and what I've learned on my journey through inferno in hopes of it being of help for you all who are struggling or slowly progressing.

I've used 1h+shield since nightmare, and have gone for what I believe is a bit more dps heavy style than what the general norm for sword and boarders are (mostly due to kripparian and various other barbs saying resist all > vitality > armor > strength, which I believe is not necessarily straight out wrong, but less than optimal due to various reasons which I'll briefly touch on later).

I'll start by going through how I dealt with each act, my stats at the time and how much I was looking to spend on each piece of gear etc. Please note that all numbers are only approximate, and they are not benchmarks where if you have these stats you'll be able to do it, or that you won't be able to do it with less stats. All stats are also including both armor passives, the warcry (impunity 50% resist) buff, the enchantress 15% armor buff and the 3% haste buff.

ACT1

Buying some cheap gear from the AH was enough to get through the first act quickly.

Stats at the time: 400 resist all, 8k armor, 8k dps, 35-40k hp.
Price range per piece of gear: 100k - 200k

ACT2
This was a pretty huge wall. Got my !@# handed to me by wasps and normal white mobs, so I went back to farm act 1 for 4 days, sold anything of value and checked the AH often for good deals. Saved 1,75 million for a 900 dps weapon, and that was the last upgrade I needed to get through act 2 with 5 NV stacks including belial.

Stats at the time: 550 resist all, 9k armor, 15k dps, 42k hp.
Price range per piece of gear: 200k - 1 mill

ACT3
Once again a huge wall. I was really discouraged at one point here, and heavily considered rerolling a wizard, but when I tried leveling one I realized glasscannon kiting just ain't as fun as jumping in and smashing things. I 5 stack farmed magdha a bit, continued scanning the AH for good deals. Then I was given my current weapon (thanks a million bunch to that guy) which brought my dps up while I could sacrifice a bit strength for better defensive stats, and that was enough to let me 5 stack farm siegebreaker.

Stats at the time: 800 resist all, 10k armor, 18k dps, 55k hp, 39% block.
Price range per piece of gear: 500k - 2mill

ACT4
This isn't that much worse than act 3 (I'd say it's comparable to the last part of act 3 which is a pain in the butt, still, not much worse), but I didn't want to rush through it so I went back and farmed siegebreaker more and continued searching for upgrades. When I felt ready gearwise and prepared to die a bunch I went through act 4. Had 3 stacks at most but didn't really care too much about the stacks.

Today I killed diablo after buying a few upgrades (not sure if they were necessary but they helped).

Total playtime
141 hours

Stats
http://i.imgur.com/TfVDY.jpg

Gear

http://i.imgur.com/kqOWG.jpg

Price per piece of gear shown on the picture:

Head 150k
Shoulders 1 mill
Neck 4 mill
Chest 2 mill
Gloves 1 mill
Bracers 150k
Belt 500k
Ring1 (legendary) 1,6 mill
Ring2 500k
Legs 600k
Feet 1 mill
Weapon given
Shield found

I also used a justice lantern for 1 mill and helm of command for 500k for most of the time in act 3.

Total: 14 mill

General build I'd recommend (adjustments for individual bosses may be necessary):
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/barbarian#WSXVRk!bVc!acacbc

Build I used for diablo:
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/barbarian#WgXVRk!bVX!aZacbc

Other thoughts

Why I think resist all > vitality > armor > strength is the wrong approach to gearing up:

You need to balance out your stats. As you increase one stat, the others will be more beneficial, so don't just blindly follow someone else's advice and stack 1-2 stats and think that'll work. Take a look at your own gear and stats and decide for yourself which stats you need to increase and what you can sacrifice to achieve it. Balance is key!

OH, and DPS helps a lot more than what most people give credit for. What made me get over the act 2 and 3 wall were both weapon upgrades. A lot of people neglect their strength/dps stats way too much. Not only is it inefficient for farming and can be a limiting factor for progress, but it is also boring as f*ck to do 10k dps in act 4 inferno. You want to smash things right?

Thoughts on secondary stats (life on hit, life regen, attack speed, crit, crit dmg, block etc):

I'll start off by saying I was really lucky to pick up the +10% movement speed boots yesterday for just a mill. Movement speed is suprisingly awesome and really helped a lot on diablo for moving out of things, so if you find some good boots with +movement speed for a fair price, definitely hit the buyout button!

Regarding life on hit/attack speed, I've had 0 life on hit all the way up until diablo when I figured I'd buy a blackthorne's medal. The 400 life on hit was noticable and quite helpful on a fight such as this, but I honestly don't think it was necessary. If you can get a decent amount of life on hit, sure, go ahead, but I would still prioritize the core stats over it (resist all, str/vit/armor, dps and hp). Spending 5-10 million on a really good life on hit weapon is not be the first thing I'd buy.

You don't need a lot of HP, 40-50k is usually enough if you have a good amount of resist and armor, although it isn't bad to have more, don't neglect other stats for more hp. Another norwegian barb friend of mine is easily tanking act 4 elites with only 45k hp (and 29% block). This only applies to sword and board though, as if you're going 2 hander I believe you'll need a bit more (60-80k).

Getting some good +block items (socketed helm of command and justice lantern) is helpful, but not strictly necessary. Once again, don't prioritize it above your core stats, but if you're having a hard time finding a good ring or helm, consider getting one of these.

Thoughts on using the auction house:

I know a lot of people dislike having to use the AH, but using it effectively is probably the most important factor in getting through inferno quickly. Check the AH often and scan for good deals. Don't buy overpriced gear, but be patient. I spent probably half my time farming and the other half on the AH. 1 farm run > 1 AH session > repeat. Buying low and selling high has also been a huge part of my income.

The other barb friend of mine also farmed most of his gear himself, he made heavy use of magic find gear (swapped to it when killing stuff) as well as threatening shout with the 15% increased drop rate rune. So it is possible to farm most of your stuff yourself as well if you really really hate using the AH.

In the end I'd like to thank the person who gave me the weapon I currently use, as well as every other barb who have shown me it is possible to clear inferno with this class (among others; psystarcraft, zrave, kripparian, pharmosh, zauly, rrowland, my norwegian friend and so on), although yes, it does take a lot more time and gold than with certain other classes, but that just makes it that much more rewarding, doesn't it.

Questions, comments, trolls, shoot!
Edited by Dmn#2657 on 04/06/2012 18:38 BST
Reply Quote
Reserved
Reply Quote
gratz man, among so many whiny posts you declared that a barbarian IS viable on inferno. people who blame the class and reroll to lame underskilled boring kiting classes should look back and see this.

you explanied the understanding of your character stats very well, this is not wow, there's no standart stats which will magicly make you able to sucsess. it's just all about you and your build and your play style.
Reply Quote
i just dont know mate go all in on DPS or your approach.

It has been calculated that in order to not be able to get oneshotted in act 3 inferno you will need 1000+ resist to all and 45k health.

Ive seen a few ppl stack insane dps on their barb with pretty good success. They prefer more deaths but to clear faster.

Im only on act 2 inferno myself and i have 19k dps and 25k health and im actually not skipping stuff.. yes i die alot but it also goes fast.
Reply Quote
Thanks wickson, you are indeed right, there are a lot of whiny posts and disbelievers.

i just dont know mate go all in on DPS or your approach.

It has been calculated that in order to not be able to get oneshotted in act 3 inferno you will need 1000+ resist to all and 45k health.

Ive seen a few ppl stack insane dps on their barb with pretty good success. They prefer more deaths but to clear faster.

Im only on act 2 inferno myself and i have 19k dps and 25k health and im actually not skipping stuff.. yes i die alot but it also goes fast.

Even if you go for a dps centric build like a 2hand build, you can't completely ignore your defensive stats either. You're going to need a decent to high amount of resists, armor and hp.

Although it's also like Amon said, things don't 1-shot you on act 3 with less than 1k resist and 45k hp. I had about 800 resist and could even straight up tank some of the elite packs.
Reply Quote
Impressive, ought to shut some of the whiners up.
Reply Quote
Heyo, I recently started act 3, succesfully did siegebreaker with 5 stacks. But I still die really often.

Is it normal to die often while farming act 3? Is it also normal you have to skip half the champion packs because they are simply impossible, for example the spearthrowers in the fields before siegebreaker with nasty affixes really look impossible to me even with far better gear.

I was also wondering how important all resist is.

Yesterday I changed by gear a bit and went from 40k hp to 50k hp and also gained about 160 strenght. In the process I went from 1000 resist to all to 850 resist to all. I am not sure whats better, 10k hp/160 strength or 150 resist to all.

I also bought 4 legendaries lately (justice lantern, helm of command, stormshield and string of ears) but the 50% block and -23% melee damage taken really didnt make as much of a difference for act 3 as I would have hoped. Did I sacrifice to much other stats for the 50% block/23% melee damage or are those 4 items simply the best a barb can have and I should just look to improve other slots more?

Last but not least, I currently have a 950 dps axe with 250 strength, 150 vit and 150 dex and 2.7% lifesteal. It doesnt have life in hit tho. Do you believe its worth getting a life on hit weapon (which nearly always would mean a HUGE dps/hp drop because 950 dps/250strength proper life on hit weapons are rare, if not impossible to obtain)
Reply Quote
gratz man, among so many whiny posts you declared that a barbarian IS viable on inferno. people who blame the class and reroll to lame underskilled boring kiting classes should look back and see this.

you explanied the understanding of your character stats very well, this is not wow, there's no standart stats which will magicly make you able to sucsess. it's just all about you and your build and your play style.
"Clearing the game several weeks after other good classes did it" != viable.

You have no idea what you're talking about.

The game revolves around heavy farming, aka killing almost every single elite pack and killing a boss with a 5-stack with as much MF gear as possible, not just "killing Diablo."
Edited by Validuz#1279 on 04/06/2012 14:22 BST
Reply Quote
14 mil gold, probably +4-5 mil for weapon, +4-6 mil for shield.

Dear barbs, to finish this game you only need 22-25 mil of gold. Funneh?
Reply Quote
Heyo, I recently started act 3, succesfully did siegebreaker with 5 stacks. But I still die really often.

Is it normal to die often while farming act 3? Is it also normal you have to skip half the champion packs because they are simply impossible, for example the spearthrowers in the fields before siegebreaker with nasty affixes really look impossible to me even with far better gear.

Depending on your gear level, where you farm, what mob affixes you meet and so on, you may or may not die a lot. I also meet packs that give me a hard time that I can die several times to, and there are others I meet that I can just straight up tank without dropping below 50% hp, so it really depends.

I'd stay away from the fields though, and most of the sin heart area too, the mobs that are there aren't meele friendly. I tend to go clear the keep in the first two areas/quests, as most of the mobs and elites there are quite manageable, and when farming the only thing that matters is how quickly you get 5 stacks and kill the boss. I spend aroud 25-30 mins on an average siegebreaker run.

I was also wondering how important all resist is.

Yesterday I changed by gear a bit and went from 40k hp to 50k hp and also gained about 160 strenght. In the process I went from 1000 resist to all to 850 resist to all. I am not sure whats better, 10k hp/160 strength or 150 resist to all.

It's hard to say since I don't know the rest of your stats and which pieces you replace with which. I'd probably go with the 10k hp/160 strength, how much dps does the 160 strength give you approximately? I would see if I could get above 900 resists without losing much other stats though. How easily you can do that depends a lot on your gear and what you can replace ofc.

04/06/2012 14:05Posted by Willemh
I also bought 4 legendaries lately (justice lantern, helm of command, stormshield and string of ears) but the 50% block and -23% melee damage taken really didnt make as much of a difference for act 3 as I would have hoped. Did I sacrifice to much other stats for the 50% block/23% melee damage or are those 4 items simply the best a barb can have and I should just look to improve other slots more?

It depends on how good your helm of command/justice lantern and string of ears is, and what pieces you could replace them with. I haven't had a string of ears myself, so can't talk about that one, but the helm of command and justice lantern, although they don't provide a significant survivability boost compared to others items, are good items. I still wouldn't treat them as the best possible gear ever, unless they are perfectly rolled (str/vit/resist all/socket helm of command for example), and if I found a really good head/ring I think is better, I wouldn't hesitate to replace them.

04/06/2012 14:05Posted by Willemh
Last but not least, I currently have a 950 dps axe with 250 strength, 150 vit and 150 dex and 2.7% lifesteal. It doesnt have life in hit tho. Do you believe its worth getting a life on hit weapon (which nearly always would mean a HUGE dps/hp drop because 950 dps/250strength proper life on hit weapons are rare, if not impossible to obtain)

Stick with your current weapon, spend your money elsewhere. 250 str, 150 vit and 2,7% lifesteal ontop of 950 dps is really really good. I'd say don't even bother looking for an upgrade for a good while.
Edited by Dmn#2657 on 04/06/2012 14:44 BST
Reply Quote
Errr... Life Steal is utterly useless. It's reduced by 80% in Inferno. It's a completely pointless stat.
Edited by Validuz#1279 on 04/06/2012 15:36 BST
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
04/06/2012 12:21Posted by Wickson

OK before I say this I do think people are too whiny atm and imo it isn't just a case of barbs being super weak but a case of barbs being weak and other classes being OP.

But seriously are you for real? We already know that a barb is viable on inferno, but his post is highlighting the fact that a 1h+shield barb with over 25 million worth of gear is as viable as a glass cannon ranged with 250k worth of gear, do you really think that is balanced?

Personally I don't care about how weak barbs are atm because im just playing for fun and really enjoying the game, atm I can kill the butcher in about 15 seconds and annihilate any champ pack in act 1 and eventually I will be able to afford to buy the gear to survive act 2 as well. But its ridiculous for some people to try and say the is nothing wrong because a tank with 25 mil of gear can do as well as a stronger class with nowhere near as good gear.
Reply Quote
14 mil gold, probably +4-5 mil for weapon, +4-6 mil for shield.

Dear barbs, to finish this game you only need 22-25 mil of gold. Funneh?

Agree.
Those resistance to all elelements stat are being hijacked by demon hunters who have everything on farm, putting them all extra expensive on Auction House to benefit from the compromised barbarians.

Tbh, I have earned around 1,5k gold from normal till end of hell playtrough. Half of it probably trough auction house, not sure exactly though. I have all spent it on gear... but my mistake was buying dps stuff. Nowhere in the description of the barbarian class did it say, ''WARNING! DPS not viable in Inferno''. So now I am stuck with DPS gear with 50k DPS around 35 to 45k hp depending on switch to sword board playstyle.

I do have resistances on each gear.. but individual resistances, like fire, poison, eletric, cold etc. Wich means I have about 15 to 20% dmg reduced from these elements. I was rather shocked when I found out people having 1000+ resist gear.
Edited by Paincake#2223 on 04/06/2012 16:48 BST
Reply Quote
I can't imagine doing Inferno Diablo without Inspiring Presence. The extra 500 life/sec is invaluable. I always have it next to Tough as Nails and Nerves of Steel in Inferno.

I do agree that some put way too much weight on defensive skills. Stacking +block and using String of Ears at the expense of str/vit/res. I think high dps, high life on hit and high life/second works as well (of course you still going to need 10k armor and 900+ res) and has a second added benefit. It makes the game so much more fun to play. You can play much more offensively and have a completely different momentum.
Reply Quote
I can't imagine doing Inferno Diablo without Inspiring Presence. The extra 500 life/sec is invaluable. I always have it next to Tough as Nails and Nerves of Steel in Inferno.

I do agree that some put way too much weight on defensive skills. Stacking +block and using String of Ears at the expense of str/vit/res. I think high dps, high life on hit and high life/second works as well (of course you still going to need 10k armor and 900+ res) and has a second added benefit. It makes the game so much more fun to play. You can play much more offensively and have a completely different momentum.

Yea, I agree with what you said, being able to go a bit more offensive adds a lot to the fun of it all. I also think it's simply a better approach than the full-defense one, unless you're playing coop with some heavy damage dealers.

I also did use inspiring presence on diablo, but I forgot to link the build I used for him. The build I posted is just for normal trash/farm play. I'll add that to the OP.
Edited by Dmn#2657 on 04/06/2012 17:16 BST
Reply Quote
One thing about Inferno Diablo, which is a bit annoying, especially if you have a full stack of NV and don't want to die since the fight in itself takes a bit of time, is that the images of you he summons in Phase two are more dangerous than he is. Especially the one with the big polearm/axe. He can stunlock you and kill you very fast. So I prefer to use WotB on all those. So I basically use it on the first one, get Diablo down to 70% health and then run around for 90 secs just staying out of trouble. I tend to Ground Stomp Diablo when he teleports to you, especially when you have the curse that makes you take extra damage. Then when WotB is up get Diablo down to 66% and kill the second image of you and repeat the process at 33%.

It is a bit annoying having to wait for cooldowns but this strategy makes it very unlikely that Diablo will kill me. You have to get really unlucky with him catching you with the fire on the ground aoe and then teleporting and instantly catching you in another. That can hurt. Otherwise you can kite around and regen health and just play on the safe side.
Edited by Freudian#2775 on 04/06/2012 17:34 BST
Reply Quote
Question, im farming the beginning of act 4 as of now, rakanoth abit of a brick wall for me at the moment, all my stats inc hp, resist, armor (without enchantress), melee reduction, block % are identical to yours, but you have 3 times more dps... lol, how the hell did you get it from 8.5k which is mine to 24 without gimping your other stats??? lol

Nice work though ^^
Reply Quote
1 Human Warrior
04/06/2012 12:21Posted by Wickson
gratz man, among so many whiny posts you declared that a barbarian IS viable on inferno

Barbs are viable for inferno.

But its a lot harder , they need much more gear - gold - time compared to other classes.
Also you cant do it unless tank , and thats a gamestyle most of Barbs dont enjoy.

Balance and 2handed survivability is logical demand i believe , so we can play dps as everybody else.
Reply Quote
One thing about Inferno Diablo, which is a bit annoying, especially if you have a full stack of NV and don't want to die since the fight in itself takes a bit of time, is that the images of you he summons in Phase two are more dangerous than he is. Especially the one with the big polearm/axe. He can stunlock you and kill you very fast. So I prefer to use WotB on all those. So I basically use it on the first one, get Diablo down to 70% health and then run around for 90 secs just staying out of trouble. I tend to Ground Stomp Diablo when he teleports to you, especially when you have the curse that makes you take extra damage. Then when WotB is up get Diablo down to 66% and kill the second image of you and repeat the process at 33%.

It is a bit annoying having to wait for cooldowns but this strategy makes it very unlikely that Diablo will kill me. You have to get really unlucky with him catching you with the fire on the ground aoe and then teleporting and instantly catching you in another. That can hurt. Otherwise you can kite around and regen health and just play on the safe side.

I just used leap-ignore pain-leap against those shadow clones and got them down before they could drop me dangerously low. Usually they would stun me while I had ignore pain up, and if I mistimed it once I could just use a pot and it was fine again. Threatening shout helped aswell. I didn't have to run at all as long as I timed leap/ignore pain well and stayed out of whatever diablo threw at me. I killed him on my first try today (did like 3-4 tries yesterday).

What really killed me was if I got hit by a trap, or used ignore pain against diablo right before the shadow clone spawned so I didn't have it up for the stun, I could rarely recover from that.

Question, im farming the beginning of act 4 as of now, rakanoth abit of a brick wall for me at the moment, all my stats inc hp, resist, armor (without enchantress), melee reduction, block % are identical to yours, but you have 3 times more dps... lol, how the hell did you get it from 8.5k which is mine to 24 without gimping your other stats??? lol

Nice work though ^^

Take a look at my gear and compare it to yours. The 1150 dps wep really helps, as well as some attack speed and a good amount of strength.

A lot of barbs are also following kripps advice about resist all and vitality, thus the gear with low vitality and high amounts of strength tend be to cheaper, although it gives the same amount of stats in total. And I make up for that lost hp with more +life%, which is also a cheaper stat than vitality, the downside being you don't gain the armor bonus from vitality.

And thanks.

Barbs are viable for inferno.

But its a lot harder , they need much more gear - gold - time compared to other classes.
Also you cant do it unless tank , and thats a gamestyle most of Barbs dont enjoy.

Balance and 2handed survivability is logical demand i believe , so we can play dps as everybody else.

Yes. We need more gear/gold/spend more time compared to other classes, however I don't think we should get buffed, I rather think the other classes should be nerfed. We could use a fix to our resource system to make it more interesting though, as it's pretty much completely useless right now.

And you can do it as a 2hand dps as well, just look at pharmosh/rrowland/psy.
Psy -> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6dm6SL-XIJY
Rrowland -> http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/5271603991
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]