Diablo® III

Monk, Shield better than off-hand weapon?

I'm playing Monk in hell, a shield dropped and I noticed it actually gave me more attack with the shield rather than the off-hand weapon?

How is this possible? How is a shield giving me attack damage? It doesn't augment any of my offensive skills, it only increases strength which doesn't change the attack damage on a monk AFAIK.

It's weird, can anyone explain this ?
Reply Quote
+attack speed?
Reply Quote
Shield not give you damage.
Your off hand weapon was wortst than main weapon and final dps was lower than with one better weapon. Its not mathematic, 2 x weapon not give you dps one weapon + dps second weapon.
Reply Quote
That's because your total dps is the average of your two weapons. If you have a 1000dps mainhand weapon and a 1dps offhand weapon, your total dps will be just above 500dps(above, because dual-wielding gives you a small bonus to your overall attack-speed). If you replace your 1dps offhand with a shield, your dps will be at ca. 1000dps.

So unless you have two equally good 1h weapons, dualwielding is less effective than 1h+shield.
Reply Quote
If you have DEX bonus or inserted a gem with DEX bonus then your attack damage will get a boost.

And shields are off-hand items.
Reply Quote
10/06/2012 16:58Posted by womp
+attack speed?

nope, it only gave strength and regenerate 35 hp per sec.

Your off hand weapon was wortst than main weapon and final dps was lower than with one better weapon. Its not mathematic, 2 x weapon not give you dps one weapon + dps second weapon.

Yes my main weapon did have higher DPS than my second weapon, what I find weird is that, only 1 weapon is better than no weapon on off-hand? even if the second weapon is inferior why is that?

Also a rare shield just dropped which game me dexterity, so my attack damage has increased even more. With the normal shield I get +342 dmg, with the rare shield with dex it gives me +545 dmg o.O

So it's weird that a weapon with 100DPS, gives less atk dmg, than a shield, which increases your damage +342. And yeah my weapons are kind of crap, my main weapon is a sword which is much better than my previous fist weapons.
Reply Quote
That's because your total dps is the average of your two weapons. If you have a 1000dps mainhand weapon and a 1dps offhand weapon, your total dps will be just above 500dps(above, because dual-wielding gives you a small bonus to your overall attack-speed). If you replace your 1dps offhand with a shield, your dps will be at ca. 1000dps.

So unless you have two equally good 1h weapons, dualwielding is less effective than 1h+shield.

I see, thanks ^^

Also the shield had no sockets and I just found it, looked over it and found it gave a lot more attack, so that's why I was curious.

And yes it does make sense since the sword that dropped was 180 DPS compared to my two 95ish dps fist weapons.
Edited by VoidKeeper#1755 on 10/06/2012 17:09 BST
Reply Quote
Ok now THIS doesn't make much sense... some bracers just dropped, with more stats than mine, but dex is less than with the ones I have.

Why in the hells does it give me more attack? It only gives me more str and int. It does have a critical strike change increase, but that cannot increase normal atk can it? it doesn't have any sockets or any other modifier besides, dex, str, int and the crit chance. And dex is lower than the current bracers I have.
Reply Quote
crit strike increases the average dps over a period of time

If you use Demonhunter then the crit passive you can watch your dps increase in realtime
Reply Quote
I see, well I didn't know THAT. Guess it's hidden somewhere in the game, or just never explained I suppose.
Reply Quote
its not hidden, if you hold your mouse over the attack damage (located where you see your dex, int, vitaility and stuff) then you can see what actually increases your actual damage
Reply Quote

¨
That's some retarded game mechanics right there. Basically use a shield or GTFO! Then WTF is the point in even having the option to dual wield?! It should be something like this:
Damage = Main hand + 50% off hand = 150% damage. Increase offhand damage modifier if needed for balance. But Main hand + offhand / 2 is just retarded!
Reply Quote
I've been playing under the assumption that dual wielding was better... Really only now I realized, I never payed any attention to shields, then again, I never had the huge difference in dps between both weapons until that sword dropped, then I noticed the shield would increase damage by 300+ I mean seriously???

I really would never have guessed that... Would I ever even have guessed to press ctrl to get more details of how atk works in this game? This is just bad implementation of information imo.

So what really is the point of Dual-Wield when a shield will give you, for the most part, more damage, more defense and way more life if it has vitality? o.O even if I use the monks passive of dual-wielding it's not worth it so...

EDIT: Oh and, let's not forget I'm playing a monk with an Axe and a Shield... this is !@#$ing ridiculous...
Edited by VoidKeeper#1755 on 10/06/2012 20:34 BST
Reply Quote
Keep in mind that shields do not have life-on-hit stats. It's also important to realize that weapons do not have resist stats. You decide, which is more important to you?
Reply Quote
71 Troll Druid

not true.

a nice shield with 8+% crit chance is not tooo bad if you are still squishy and still want to spam cyclones.

but in general u are right a good off hand > shield.
but a good one hand with loh and a +crit shield can work out pretty well.
Reply Quote
10/06/2012 17:57Posted by Arska
Only idiot use dual wield in game. Its really messed up.

-thank you very much. I guess the improved AS, lifesteal, loh, and spirit regeneration don't count.
Reply Quote
...and btw, dps is only average dps. The attacks are L-R, L-R, etc etc. If you have weapons with different IAS, you will see your AS change (in stats) depending on where you are in the cycle. I think this also holds true for the stat stick myth. Eg. monk should have lowest dps offhand, cause main hand will trigger dps on eg. cyclones. I think in reality the 'current' hand does the triggering.

I could be wrong ofc. And remember this is all from a monk's pov. Haven't played anything else.
Edited by Ouroboros#2671 on 04/09/2012 12:11 BST
Reply Quote
10/06/2012 17:57Posted by Arska
Only idiot use dual wield in game. Its really messed up.

pls dont call me idiot i use DW on monk whole time which i play it and don have any problem survive and killing elites on inferno in A4. Learn something about monk mechanick and dont insult ppl who play diffrent style then your only right one ....

well this trigering thing on SW is proly hard test with our fast hit rate, but in spell description say if meleee attack hit it trigger and if this can trigger tempest rush why not offhand hit except its blizzard bugg and in this case it need fix.
Edited by Swen#2595 on 04/09/2012 12:51 BST
Reply Quote
Another pro of dualwield can be the % crit damage, which isnt possible on a shield.

Wasnt lucky enough to get a amazing 1 hander + shield, therefor I went for dual wield for the LoH and critdamage. Now that I have some decent weapons I dont even wanna go back to using a shield. Might actually go for a 2 hander later on.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]