Diablo® III

Information on Error #740 Unable to Launch, Useful!

Failed to launch "Diablo III Launcher.exe"!
Error 740: The requested operation requires elevation

When attempting to Log in this morning, I was experiencing the patch loop like everyone else that was not aware that they had not finished yet due to the post by blizz stating that the patcher would not launch until maintaince had completed. At this time i had not yet recieved the Error# 740. To make sure the patch looping wasnt caused by a setting i right clicked the diablo shortcut and Went to Security and to Permissions, I pretty much enabled all permissions for my Admin, SYSTEM, and another name their that was pretty much the same as the Admin one (Name of my computer pretty much.) Anyways After enabling all permissions for the 3 users in that list is when i started getting the error #740. I am not sure if that is what caused the change in sequence when logging into the game from when it was just looping or not, But am wondering if people with this message attempted to do the same thing. Also I would appreciate it if someone could tell me where i could see the default permission setting as I was not smart enough to document them before i made changed, Im an idiot for doing that and I know that lol. Thank you for your time and for the people who are getting this error i hope this threat ends up helping you to restore those setting back to how they were too. Once the Patch is done I hope that the changes i made will not cause me to keep getting this error. I dont see how ENABLING all permissions for the List of users would Effect my Login to my account and suspect it is just another Error that you get when trying to log in while the game is being updated.

P.S.- Also I want to add that i Deleted the shortcut that i changed the permission setting on and Checked the ones on the Main Diablo Icon and it does seem to have been restored to my defaults as well as having 1 Less User on the List that you choose from when selecting what you want to change the permissions for.

All that is their under usernames is:

Administraters/Josh PC
Josh PC
(Both of These options are set everything Enabled Besides "Special Permissions" And i think that those are the Default settings because I did not change the ones on that Icon only the Desktop Shortcut that I deleted had Changed permissions.

Their was also a SYSTEM option Also on the desktop shortcut that is Not their on the Main Diablo 3 Icon from the directory.

Hope Everyone is playing soon, Have a good Day and thanks ahead of time for the Responses.
Reply Quote
This happens to me with half the patches. This is how I fix mine.

Steps to fix Error 740:

1. Follow all the steps here first including restart:
http://us.battle.net/support/en/article/BLZPTS0000C

2. Go to where your Diablo 3 folder is located. For example: C:\Program Files (x86)\Diablo III
Right click "Properties" for Diablo III.exe then choose the "Compatibility" tab.

3. Under "Privilege Level" Enable "Run this program as an administrator" then click OK.

4. Double click "Diablo III.exe" (It will now update the patch properly)

5. When the update is finished you need to undo the properties changes on Diablo III.exe
Repeat step 2 then Disable "Run this program as an admin".

Once it's disabled again you can now run your regular launcher shortcut or you can double click "Diablo III Launcher.exe"
Reply Quote
Customer Service
Hello,

Please check here:
http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/4736524990?page=1#5
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]