Diablo® III

My demon hunter is always dying in Inferno ACT II.

90 Blood Elf Hunter
Hi. I have Demon hunter 60lvl. I did ACT I well, but when i got into ACT II i couldnt believe it. The mobs are harder than boss and they kill me on one hit. I have 24k dmg and 25k hp. Have you any help for me, how could i do it? What stats should i prefer? Thanks :)
Reply Quote
Farm act 1 for gear.
Reply Quote
So that means that there will be better gear to farm/hunt before heading for the 2nd or 3rd act if you going solo ?
Reply Quote
Dont get hit! Its like Gradius on NES, dodge all projectiles and be fast on your SS button when some invisible snake tries to devour you.
Reply Quote
I find that its not so much that the damage is increased, its more about the innate abilities of the mobs you will be facing compared to act 1 that make them harder to control and to damage.

You will find fast spiderlings and the fast frog people in act 1. But in act 2 the innate abilities on some of the mobs are really good at avoiding damage and control abilities

For instance the lacuni that jump over your arrows and traps, the lizards that dig under ground towards you, bees throwing larva at you in great quantity. And not to mention the invisible snake like people that are belials personal guards.

You wont find that as much in act 1, especially not in the popular leoric and warden / butcher farms.

Currently at belial act 2 inferno

If you get really annoyed you can always try some resist items to check what amount you need to avoid getting one shot. Phys or all resistance.

I used this build to get up to belial.

http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/demon-hunter#aRYdgV!YeT!ccabYc
Reply Quote
I've died in one hit since Act IV Hell, I'm currently @ Act IV Inferno. Offense is the best defense :) Although you probably need help doing Belial and parts of the keep, unless you do crazy amounts of damage by then.
Reply Quote
There are factors at play in act2 that will have the majority of 200k DHs getting frustrated at their respawn counter increasing as they repeatedly die.

Too many mobs can jump you too quickly for you to respond. The gear required to become a surviving DH for act 2 would cost way too much, so your options are really just to do the best you can and be grateful each time you each a checkpoint.

That said, there are techniques that help. firstly- gear.

I see a lot of threads on here about best-in-slot etc. but no one talks about how to gear up on a real budget, i may make a thread about this later.

the basics:
IAS: you want 15-17% from gloves, with the only other important stat being dex. 15% from rings, both with some dex (all 3 of these are very cheap).

Crit damage: get a bow with at least 60% crit damage, even if it means settling for a 800-900 dps weapon, again, these are practically free. Along with Archery this will give you enough crit damage to start fights with a barrage of high damage (using sharpshooter).

Movement speed: 12% on boots minimum. If you can find more then get it, but sticking with 12% + as much dex keeps it cheap.

Amulet: I'm a little undecided about this. Cheap amulets can give you crit damage, ias or dex. I can't say for sure which is best, but you can get a LOT of dex on a cheap amulet.

everything else: as much dex as reasonable, and where possible throw in some crit damage, crit chance and crowd control. I just find out what the (roughly) maximum dex on each peice is by looking at the 3m+ items and then lower that by about 10%. you usually have items come up very cheap. I'll filter for ones with crit damage or crit chance to see if any good deals come up, then I check to see if that item has 'chance to knockback/fear/freeze/immobalize' etc. If you have to sacrifice 15 dex to get a 3.5-4% chance to keep the mob back, It's worth it imo, especially at act 2.

With the approach above you can become pretty powerful with a decent dodge rating (handy to have a chance of surviving the arrow that you failed to get out of the way of). You'll probably use mostly blues or cheap yellows, but that's fine. If you have the cash to get better gear then do it!

This post has gotten longer than i planned- but the next technique that I found helped is simply using hungering arrow. Keep as far back from them as you can and just let the arrow find it's targets, even if they are off-screen. With a little 'chance to crowd control' and puncturing arrow, they often stay there quite a while and the distance gives you a chance to dodge even the faster projectiles. I still use this technique farming act 3 NV in the keep dungeon. fire a load of nether tentacles through the door and then follow up with a lot of hungering arrows that will go through the door and find a target that can't hit me.

I'll write up a detailed guide on this when i get home (about 11 hours from now /sigh), I feel the forums is lacking it.
Reply Quote
@Mooney good post, thank you. I'm one of the several people probably reading this that is just now starting Act II as a DH... I have great Crit damage but I had no idea about the ASI! You're totally right! It's too slow to kite effectively.
Given me alot of ideas and help so maybe I can base my own spec off those stats. Thanks so much.
Reply Quote
87 Troll Priest
I'm just wondering if any one else been trying to use Spike Taps - Scatter to deal with the snakes in Act 2. I found it quite effective to lay down a line infront of you, drop Caltrops and be prepared to hit Smoke Screen as sone as you see them. I've had a singel Spike Trap critt for around 120k and that's just one of them ;) (Think I had critts around the 100k mark when I did Belail)
They get even more effetive when in tight corners since they will then stac on each other killing most normal mobs on singel player.

Currently running around dodging this like crazy in Act 3 with this build
http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/demon-hunter#aRYXSV!eaT!ccaZcY

Just currently started to use Preparation - Focused Mind and Tactical Advantage to get abit more mobile and been working out so far, though been quite a few times where I died from beening use to get the instant Dissiplin with the Backup Plan rune..
Reply Quote
Just currently started to use Preparation - Focused Mind and Tactical Advantage to get abit more mobile and been working out so far, though been quite a few times where I died from beening use to get the instant Dissiplin with the Backup Plan rune..

wouldn't work for me. '45 over time' translates to '5 less discipline, and slower'

+10 disc on quiver and chest ftw. (at least 8 on both is another recommendation i'd make for gear). 3-4 smoke screens instead of 2 is nice.
Reply Quote
I'm just wondering if any one else been trying to use Spike Taps - Scatter to deal with the snakes in Act 2. I found it quite effective to lay down a line infront of you, drop Caltrops and be prepared to hit Smoke Screen as sone as you see them. I've had a singel Spike Trap critt for around 120k and that's just one of them ;) (Think I had critts around the 100k mark when I did Belail)
They get even more effetive when in tight corners since they will then stac on each other killing most normal mobs on singel player.

Currently running around dodging this like crazy in Act 3 with this build
http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/demon-hunter#aRYXSV!eaT!ccaZcY

I use them and find them very usefull when kitting as they do quite big ammount of damage.
What i do when i kite is i place them in narrow spaces so two or three are in same place dealing 3x the damage which with my gear and stats means from 150k - 450k at once.
I have a bit different build as you thou.
http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/demon-hunter#fRdXSV!eaT!bcbZcY
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]