Diablo® III

SMS Protect - seriously?

So, for the time being (before deciding to fly to the other side of the world to purchase a prepaid SIM-card), I'm left to hoard RMAH income to Blizzard funds - which we all know are next to completely useless - because apparently Blizzard thinks that my authenticator is not protecting my account enough. Really?
Reply Quote
84 Blood Elf Paladin
SMS protect is mainly to make sure that you are actually living in whatever country you registered your B.NET billing address.
Reply Quote
15/06/2012 07:31Posted by Darlynn
SMS protect is mainly to make sure that you are actually living in whatever country you registered your B.NET billing address.

As shocking as it might be, not everyone settles down to live in their parents' basement, thus this kind of completely useless restriction makes no sense at all.

And really, if I can purchase prepaid, get it shipped and then just top it up annually, did the "make sure" work as intended? Just useless money waste with not a single pro...

And as you're already able to use CC from completely different region as payment method, I can't really buy into this reason of yours.
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
15/06/2012 09:29Posted by Dreamlore

As shocking as it might be, not everyone settles down to live in their parents' basement, thus this kind of completely useless restriction makes no sense at all.

All I can see here is 'I didn't get the response I wanted so I threw my toys out my pram and raged'. Try to act civil buddy.
Reply Quote

All I can see here is 'I didn't get the response I wanted so I threw my toys out my pram and raged'. Try to act civil buddy.

I'm never going to get the response I want, as that'd be "Mobile Alerts requirement has been replaced with Authenticator requiremtn", but saying that we need yet another level of "security" just because "Blizzard wants to make sure players are from the country they say they are" is... well, nevermind. Why not go and ban the IP range of any but the country you registered your BNet account from while we're at it?

The bottom line is, this 'optional service' (as it's written in FAQ, true story) is far from optional as it limits the functionality of other services, and should be taken out. Not out as a whole feature of Battle.Net (although I can't see anyone using it really), but as a requirement for RMAH withdrawal to PayPal. Or at least take it out if the account already has authenticator attached.
Reply Quote
15/06/2012 07:27Posted by Dreamlore
So, for the time being (before deciding to fly to the other side of the world to purchase a prepaid SIM-card), I'm left to hoard RMAH income to Blizzard funds - which we all know are next to completely useless - because apparently Blizzard thinks that my authenticator is not protecting my account enough. Really?

yeah, let's make a 79th topic on the same subject.

YES. REALLY. There goes your answer.
Reply Quote
Its fine, deal with it.
Reply Quote
Confused as SMS project is pointing towards you needing a internet ready phone not just a text enabled phone is this correct ?
Reply Quote
I have an Android phone that I buy monthly minutes for. It's a non contract phone. It's through Virgin Mobile.. I can't participate in the RMAH?
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Druid
15/06/2012 09:53Posted by Dreamlore
The bottom line is, this 'optional service' (as it's written in FAQ, true story) is far from optional as it limits the functionality of other services, and should be taken out. Not out as a whole feature of Battle.Net (although I can't see anyone using it really), but as a requirement for RMAH withdrawal to PayPal. Or at least take it out if the account already has authenticator attached.

I'm gonna go toss a guess and say that the SMS auth requirement in this case has more to do with PayPal than Blizzard. Can't really see why else they'd have 2 different auth systems in place for these.
Reply Quote
15/06/2012 10:19Posted by ChromeLTD
Confused as SMS project is pointing towards you needing a internet ready phone not just a text enabled phone is this correct ?

Wait what? text enabled phone?? can you have a "non text enabled phone". i am sure every phone since 1999 is text enabled. You do not need your phone to go on the Internet.

18/06/2012 01:47Posted by FutaCop
I have an Android phone that I buy monthly minutes for. It's a non contract phone. It's through Virgin Mobile.. I can't participate in the RMAH?

Prepaid do not work on the RMAH, only Postpaid.
Edited by Herbie2100#2247 on 18/06/2012 02:41 BST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]