Diablo® III

My Ranged DPS Barbarian Guide (Soloed A2 Inferno)

Hello, everyone! I know you have been giving mad disrespect to ranged barbarians. Mine is not like the most of them. And lets face it, you get Str/Crit items pretty cheap from the AH.
I need a bit better gear to do A3/A4.

Short video of me demonstrating the basics of my build, items and stats:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rrrtGcu1kD8

I apologies for my low FPS FRAPS is causing in the video (Was causing trouble juking stuff, but I managed it).

Few words about stats:
Crit Chance:
-You want this from every possible item slot you can find and the maximum amount if possible.
-This stat increases your fury generation, and by that your overall survival and effectivenes

Crit dmg
-This is the best stat to increase your dmg overall.
-If you have to choose between crit dmg and strenght, you take crit dmg.

Items:
Weapons
-Dual wielding because of 15% IAS
-You get huge crit dmg bonus stats to weapons, I get 300% alone from my weapons.
-Your main hand weapon needs to be axe or mace for the 10% crit chance from passive Weapons Master
-Offhand weapon can be anything with crit dmg stat.

Belt
-You need a belt that gives 4-5 reduced fury cost to Weapon Throw, without it you run out of fury too often.

Tanky items
-As you can see from my items that I try to buy resistances, armor and vit too so I can be tanky, but people are throwing crit barb items to Haedrig Aemons shredder. Besides crit, res, armor, vit and str all combined in one piece is damn hard to get at a reasonable price. But atleast you have a lot to work on.

My skills:
http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/barbarian#fPUkiR!ZfY!ZbZZYb

My thoughts on the skills:

Weapon Throw, Ricochet
-Main damage skill
-Good fury generator on its own

Wrath of the Berserker, Slaughter
-Gives all the attributes you need for ranged barbarian, especially the 10% crit chance.
-Use this against elites to burst them down
-With 50% crit chance Slaugther rune does a lot of dmg (the explosions proc other explosions upon critting)

Sprint, Run Like the Wind
-Helps you kite enemies if needed
-When mobs get into the tornadoes they melt from the dmg
-Combine the amount of hits the tornadoes does per second to Slaughter rune from WotB and you got few hundreds of thousands of DPS from this alone

War Cry, Charge!
-The 60 fury you generate from this ability is a must have if you dont want to count on luck
-Usually you active War Cry and immediatly Battle Rage, at this point you have enough fury to throw 8 weapons (With the must have cost reduction belt), or activate sprint too and still have enough fury to throw 4 weapons.
-Armor bonus lets you take a few shots in your face

Battle Rage, Into the Fray
-Huge fury generator
-While this is activated, you generate infinite fury when something is taking dmg from your sprints tornadoes.
-Addittional dmg and crit chance, why not.

Ignore Pain, Ignorance is Bliss
-With this on you can almost tank anything.
-With the dmg you are doing you gain a lot of health from the rune Ignorance is Bliss

Passive: Ruthless
-Dmg and crit chance, yes please!

Passive: No escape
-This combined to Battle Rage makes your Weapon Throw actuallly generate !@#$loads of fury
-Also if you are in to throwing 6 Ancient Spears in a row with the Harpoon rune, go ahead.

Passive: Weapon Master
-10% crit chance to maces/axes is a must have

"Hidden" passive 30% dmg reduction for monks/barbarians make you a lot tankier than other ranged classes.

Comments?

UPDATE: Progressing trough A3 with this same setup, going pretty well.
Edited by Dribo#2571 on 15/06/2012 20:20 BST
Reply Quote
can you solo bosses with this build?
Reply Quote
Yes you can. To generate fury against single targets use sprint and Battle Rage.
Reply Quote
85 Troll Druid
This is the kinda barb I want eventually :D
Reply Quote
Only annoying thing i hate about my throw barb is that i cant hit vases and boxes without losing hard earned fury lmao :D

So far ive done pretty well in act 3 with my 2h throw barb without weapon-master passive currently stuck below the keep when i encounter rippers... :/

been thinking about getting a shield with even more crit chance..

Didn't consider or even thought about duel wielding how does it work? does it combine both your 1h´s into one dps ? i know that stats on them stacks but does the dmg?
Edited by AshGear#2987 on 15/06/2012 18:31 BST
Reply Quote
I have 56.5% crit chance (with Battle Rage) and can easilly hit every vase (you can crit on vases and such). I got fire element in my offhand and they often burn when they die. Maybe it throws every other weapon with offhand.
Reply Quote
how much dmg does your crit´s do on a regular basic`?

Mine does about 42k on most crit´s and 80k with ancient spear
Reply Quote
how much dmg does your crit´s do on a regular basic`?

Mine does about 42k on most crit´s and 80k with ancient spear

You can watch from the video I recorded in the guide. 60k-80k Weapon Throw, around 10k for Sprint tornadoes, 100k-130k Blood Eruptions from WotB.
Reply Quote
Sounds like u get some of the dps shared from both of your 1h´s unless u use some crasy 1111k dps on your mainhand :D
Reply Quote
15/06/2012 18:58Posted by AshGear
Sounds like u get some of the dps shared from both of your 1h´s unless u use some crasy 1111k dps on your mainhand :D

I got 810 dps main hand and 770 dps offhand. Dude, I got 475% more crit dmg.
Reply Quote
15/06/2012 19:03Posted by Dribo

I got 810 dps main hand and 770 dps offhand. Dude, I got 475% more crit dmg.

Just bought 2 regular cheap 1h´s with 100k extra crit dmg too along with my 50k from my passive wich gives me 250k how the hell do u get 475% :O
Reply Quote
passive 50
base 50
2 weapons with socket and 100 merciless mod, 200 each for 400 total

amulet 50 or so
rings ....
gloves....

suppose you could get 700 or so as dual wielder if that was your goal.
Reply Quote
15/06/2012 19:42Posted by AshGear
how the hell do u get 475% :O

Its all in the original post
Reply Quote
I had a very similar build to yours. the main difference is sprint, I used it once when I first got the rune, thought it was cool, but didn't see much use for it.

after reading this, I decided to try it out again... and the fury regeneration is insane. truly the thing my build was missing.

Have you looked into how often the crits trigger slaughter? i've noticed a direct correlation between the LoH ratio's and a skills ability to trigger slaughter/in the fray's effect. so if this is true, the sprint tornado's should have a 20% chance each crit to cause the explosion, and each explosion should have a 66% chance to trigger another explosion. Do these numbers seem about right to you?
Reply Quote
16/06/2012 00:45Posted by SirRabbit
Have you looked into how often the crits trigger slaughter?

I haven't. Im experimenting on it today.
Reply Quote
looks funny... though that wouldnt be my playstyle at all... if i wana run away and wait for the monster to die or do hit n run, id play DH or wizz -.-
Reply Quote
So far im farming seigebreaker with my throw barb if i would have had to do melee i would have had to spent millions on gear my throw barb can do it with a total gear cost of about 10 mill which is kinda cheap considering the dmg you do...

Sure you could say its a bit like playing dh or wizz but w/e i consider myself a ranged type on steroids

Tbh my throw barb does a better job then my squishy wizzard :D
Reply Quote
very clever build, you basically merged the basic throwing barb with the double tornado build and got this as a result

i may give this a go later when i got bored of my 2h
Reply Quote
Lawl another throw barb spec if your gonna just throw stuff all day and kite mightaswell play one of the classes designed to do it Wiz/DH they do it 10 times better yes they can't take damage like a range barb but they dont need to they have alot of abilities to slow or CC and do alot more dmg.
Reply Quote
16/06/2012 20:25Posted by Coolbreeze89
Lawl another throw barb spec if your gonna just throw stuff all day and kite mightaswell play one of the classes designed to do it Wiz/DH they do it 10 times better yes they can't take damage like a range barb but they dont need to they have alot of abilities to slow or CC and do alot more dmg.

this will still feel a lot more different from dh/wiz
i actually like the throwing barb from d2
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]