Diablo® III

Ouch my head (I'm struggling)

Hitting a brick wall and really need some advice.

Heard of the AS nerf well in advance so decided to stall getting replacements until that came through.
Post-nerf I am sitting at:
33k HP
30k DPS
250-350 allres
~1600 INT

Before the patch I had 59% AS, now ~half of that (did 38k DPS before the patch).
This is my build:
http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/witch-doctor#aZRUgT!WVX!aaaZbc

I only use Garg in Act 1. His survivability is absolutely fine there, but from A2 onwards I switch to Soul Harvest.
I really prefer Phantasm over Acid Rain.

I was and am chiefly farming A1, which is rather comfortable.
Act 2 is doable but I don't really see the point as the drops are very similar (and even more so post patch). Act 1 is just a lot quicker.

Act 3 is a brick wall. It seems that I cannot kill a single pack of rares. I ran past champions / rares all the way up to Siegebreaker and took him down, but I don't even dare to enter the Heart of Sin. The problem is that I just cannot kill a single pack of rares. I barely scratch them.
There isn't really enough room to kite as you bump into rares quite early on I find.
When I do engage, it boils down to whether the mobs are kiteable or not.
Vortex, Jailer, Fast, Extra Health, Horde (sometimes Illusion though that's not so bad) - any one of those alone means a futile effort from my part as I simply run out of cooldowns before they eventually overwhelm me with theirs.
Today I decided to start replacing the AS gear I had with something beefier but then started thinking - I couldn't do !@#$ pre-patch with 38k DPS, what's the point of spending millions to say get 40k and still not manage? I'm getting sick of farming A1 without a clear goal.

1) I guess I need a new build? Splinters doesn't seem so hot any more.
I cannot do Zombie Bears because my laptop locks up (playing on minimum settings at 800x600).
I don't really fancy tanking with Toads. I guess I'll give it a shot as a final choice, but it doesn't seem like the type of gameplay I'd enjoy (and mind you, I hated Zombie Bears the little I played of it).
Are there any other viable builds? People seem to diss Splinters but tbh I fail to see how ZB or Toads is "more WD" than Splinters.

2) Itemisation.
I have no LoH. Was considering investing into it, but that would lower my DPS even more.
I have no +crit or +crit dmg. From browsing I judge that this seems to be the new black.
Should I invest into this? What's more important? +crit or +crit dmg?
Should I drop my AS gear altogether in favour of crit gear?
I have a 937 DPS 1h + mojo. 1H has fire dmg and +30% dmg, no additional stats. Should I drop this in favour of some crit weapon or something? Socketed? I don't really fancy spending say more than 1mil on a new weapon.

I don't want to whine about WD being underpowered blah blah yadda yadda. I'll work with what I've got, but quite frankly I am getting very frustrated. Butcher is becoming more of a chore with every single run.

Would really appreciate some tips :)
Reply Quote
Few facts about your post:
1) zombie bears ar bugged anyways (didnt get fixed until 1.0.4) - if u are close to some object or wall some bears nearest to that object gets stuck and didnt run forward, you need really big empty place to cast them as before

2) Splinter build is still viable (you need to have atleast 1.60 APS though)

3) Act III inst that big wall - (my stats: 37k DPS, 1.65 APS, 28.5% crit chance, 120% crit dmg, 3k armor, 250+ resist, 35k hp) ACT II farming feels like Hell and ACT III feels like ACT I inferno for me.

4) Build: i would recommend adding Wall of Zombies instead of Spirit barrage into your build and when you learn how to use it it will be different game trust me. Atleast i feel it like that. Personally i switched WoZ out for another dmg skill (Grasp is only CC in my build now) because monsters dmg is just comical now. I feel i needed compensate that little APS lost with another dmg skill to support splinters.

5) LoH is really expensive stat, especially when you dont want to sacrifice another stats so i skipped it for now (will see later if i will invest to it).

6) You definetly need to raise your crit stats!!! - aim for atleast 20% crit chance and 100% crit dmg. These stats comes together you need both to be effective. YOUL WILL FEEL DIFFERENCE !!! Splinters (or Zombie beras once they'v got fixed) are insane example for skill that shows crit stats are verry important. 1 cast = 3 darts (/Bears) and each of them can crit separately. Focus on crit dmg on wpn, amulet and rings (there should be aswell AS) and crit chance search in slots for gloves, head, bracers and mojo.

Hope this helps, feel free to add me in game and ask any questions, ill try to give u tips about what worked for me so far :)
Reagrds
Deathpulse#2336

Sorry for my english, not my native langague.
Edited by Deathpulse#2336 on 21/06/2012 08:13 BST
Reply Quote
Thanks a bunch, that's exactly the advice I was looking for.
I'd rather do a more well-rounded build than focus on a glass cannon or something like that.

1) WoZ with what kind of rune? I used Pile On for some bossfights before, but wasn't really a fan (targeting is a pita?)
However I really need Spirit Barrage, it's my only source of AoE.

2) Why do I need 1.6 APS for Splinters? Currently sitting on 1.5

Will add you later, thanks for the tips!
Reply Quote
WoZ i would recomend Barricade just to get it wider, ofc you need to consider if you need the extra lenght on those close places on ACT3

but Yeah WOZ is amazing the only thing that stops monsters period, they cant pass it...

you dont need spirit barrage that much, i would say with enough dmg, just the AOE on grasp and then splinters is enough, for me atleast

I am 40k dmg, 30% crit 200% crit dmg
Edited by MightyMaus#2623 on 21/06/2012 10:11 BST
Reply Quote
I think Deathpulse is talking about the Barricade or Unrelenting Grip runes for WoZ. You would be surprised at how much AoE this and Grasp can do (seems to clear most white mobs for me at least (45k dps 34% crit 170% ECD) ).

While i was blocked Act 2 Inferno before the patch, i am now progressing steadily with
45k dps (1.57 Attack per second) 40K hp 200 Resist all 3100 Armor.

Using this build (i am a bit sad to use Splinters, as i would have loved to use leaping spiders if their critical damage was not broken):

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/witch-doctor#aZUXkR!VWZ!aaabaa

You could switch Barricade to Unrelenting Grip no problem, i prefer Barricade to fully block a path -giving me more time to shoot darts-

Also while i am a bit low on resists, i think Jungle Fortitude can help quite a bit there.

Kiting can be a bit tricky with the slow animations and all, but is manageable if you anticipate monsters attacks animations. (Fast are a pain in the a$$ though).
Reply Quote
I'd rather do a more well-rounded build than focus on a glass cannon or something like that.

1) WoZ with what kind of rune? I used Pile On for some bossfights before, but wasn't really a fan (targeting is a pita?)

Im glad it helped.

1) For WoZ im using barricade im not fan of the slow rune because for slow u already have Grasp and WoZ is for complete block enemies not to slow them, no need to talk about higher width and dmg on it!

2) Because splinters is the skill that is reliable opn AS, when you cast it on high attack speed its spell animation ends earlier so you ahve more room for faster dodge reactions (vs. Mortar affix for example). Buy for example 2h cheap wpn, drop your AS items and try iit in city. Cast splinters and run immideatly after it (after each cast try to run always) and then equip again your 1H + items and you will understand what i mean ;-)
Edited by Deathpulse#2336 on 22/06/2012 12:41 BST
Reply Quote
I think Deathpulse is talking about the Barricade or Unrelenting Grip runes for WoZ. You would be surprised at how much AoE this and Grasp can do (seems to clear most white mobs for me at least (45k dps 34% crit 170% ECD) ).

While i was blocked Act 2 Inferno before the patch, i am now progressing steadily with
45k dps (1.57 Attack per second) 40K hp 200 Resist all 3100 Armor.

Using this build (i am a bit sad to use Splinters, as i would have loved to use leaping spiders if their critical damage was not broken):

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/witch-doctor#aZUXkR!VWZ!aaabaa

You could switch Barricade to Unrelenting Grip no problem, i prefer Barricade to fully block a path -giving me more time to shoot darts-

Also while i am a bit low on resists, i think Jungle Fortitude can help quite a bit there.

Kiting can be a bit tricky with the slow animations and all, but is manageable if you anticipate monsters attacks animations. (Fast are a pain in the a$$ though).

Thanks for the tips! I got rid of Spirit Barrage and realised do I do in fact not need it!
Also dropped Garg for Horrify. Garg is great for Butcher farming but I figured I'd better use the opportunity to get used to using Horrify instead for progress later on.

I decided again Barricade for now. I've put Heart of Sin progress off for now so am back to farming A1 (imo best reward/time spent). Since farming Butcher is... based on corridors, I don't feel like the extended range adds much, as the passages are so narrow anyway.

Im glad it helped.

1) For WoZ im using barricade im not fan of the slow rune because for slow u already have Grasp and WoZ is for complete block enemies not to slow them, no need to talk about higher width and dmg on it!

2) Because splinters is the skill that is reliable opn AS, when you cast it on high attack speed its spell animation ends earlier so you ahve more room for faster dodge reactions (vs. Mortar affix for example). Buy for example 2h cheap wpn, drop your AS items and try iit in city. Cast splinters and run immideatly after it (after each cast try to run always) and then equip again your 1H + items and you will understand what i mean ;-)

2) Yeah I understand how AS works, but I was wondering why is 1.6 the magical number?
Until now I had presumed that D3 does not work on frame breakpoints like D2 did?
Reply Quote
2) Yeah I understand how AS works, but I was wondering why is 1.6 the magical number?
Until now I had presumed that D3 does not work on frame breakpoints like D2 did?

My personal opinion - animations with AS 1.6< are fast enough for dodgind and stuff. Lower AS feels really hard for dodging, but again just my opinion... some can play with 1.4ish AS and still be safe...
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]